|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where will Merlin wait to be called to Tintagel?
(a) Soldiers' barracks.
(b) An inn in Cornwall.
(c) The home of one of the king's women.
(d) The home of a royal servant.
2. What is Arthur's younger sister's name?
3. What color horse does Merlin see a nine-year-old boy riding toward the chapel?
(b) None of these.
4. How old does Merlin tell Uther that Arthur will be on Christmas Eve?
5. What takes Merlin by surprise after he calls out for the holy man?
(a) A great white owl.
(b) A large black crow.
(c) None of these.
(d) A swarm of bats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been sent to be a servant to Merlin and then Arthur, once he is born?
2. What distracts the outlaws just as they are about to spot Merlin and his troop?
3. Where do Merlin and Ralf meet the king's soldiers?
4. What family does Arthur belong to?
5. How many small hillsmen surround Merlin in the forest as he wakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What saves Merlin and company while they are traveling through the Perilous Forest? How? Does the author lead the reader to believe that this is an ordinary occurrence?
2. What does Ralf tell Merlin about the riders who attacked him on his way to Merlin's to deliver a letter?
3. What plan do Merlin and Ygraine develop for Arthur after his birth? Why?
4. What does the term "Flood Year" refer to? Why is it important to the story?
5. How does Merlin find Macsen's sword?
6. What dream does Merlin have while traveling to the glass blower's hut in the forest? What is its significance?
7. The spring after Arthur's twelfth birthday brings the rumblings of war to England. What happens?
8. What is the significance of the star that shines the night that Arthur is born and the night he leaves the castle?
9. Why does the hermit at the Chapel of the Green feel comfortable telling Merlin about the story of Macsen's sword?
10. Merlin meets Morgause, Uther's illegitimate daughter, after developing a medicine for the ailing Uther. What are Merlin's impressions of Morgause? Does the author give any indication that there is more to Morgause than is being revealed?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)