|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who follows Arthur to the chapel in the woods when he meets Merlin?
2. When was a path last cleared through the woods that Merlin and his troops travel?
(a) It has never been cleared.
(b) During the time of Gorlois.
(c) It has been kept clear for the last hundred years.
(d) During the time of Ambrosius.
3. What is the first thing Uther asks Merlin once they are alone in his chambers?
(a) Why he has lied to him about Arthur's whereabouts.
(b) How Arthur is doing.
(c) Why Merlin visited his wife years ago.
(d) How his cousin is raising Arthur.
4. What is the name of the king's illegitimate daughter?
(a) None of these.
5. What family does Arthur belong to?
(a) The Lothians.
(b) The Pendragons.
(c) None of these.
(d) The Emrys.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of history does Merlin teach Arthur and his companion at the chapel?
2. Where does Merlin plan to tell the king's soldiers they are coming from?
3. Who does Merlin meet in the settlement where he stops to get his horse re-shod?
4. What is the name of the chamberlain who tells Merlin about the king's condition?
5. What does Merlin ultimately decide to do with the holy man's chapel in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan do Merlin and Ygraine develop for Arthur after his birth? Why?
2. Why does Merlin travel in disguise with the infant Arthur? What disguise does he assume?
3. How does Merlin realize that the king's soldiers are closer than he thought? What does he plan to tell the soldiers when he and Ralf are found?
4. Why does Merlin spend so much time traveling all over Europe? Where does he go? How long is he gone?
5. Why does the hermit at the Chapel of the Green feel comfortable telling Merlin about the story of Macsen's sword?
6. How does Merlin come to know the Old Ones in the forest?
7. What are some of the extraordinary qualities attributed to Merlin? How many, if any, of them are true? What is the truth about Merlin?
8. Why does Merlin seek out the holy man in the forest chapel?
9. What does Ector tell Merlin of the other royal families in the area? Why are their activities important?
10. What does Ralf tell Merlin about the riders who attacked him on his way to Merlin's to deliver a letter?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)