|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Merlin visit on his way back home?
2. Why does Merlin feel that he still cannot spend time in one place nor give any information on Arthur?
(a) He is worried about spies and Arthur's safety.
(b) He is worried about Uther's men.
(c) He is worried about outlaws who have been tracking him.
(d) He is worried about his own safety.
3. Who does Merlin tell Ralf he must be loyal to?
(a) The current king.
(c) The High King that will be.
(d) The current queen.
4. Where does Merlin live?
(a) A home on Bryn Myrddin hill.
(b) Uther's castle.
(c) A cave in Bryn Myrddin hill.
(d) With the villagers near Bryn Myddin hill.
5. What is inscribed on the temple altar in the Temple of Mithras?
(a) Mithrae Recipito.
(b) Mithrae Invicto.
(c) Merlin Invicto.
(d) Mithras Enchantine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What names do Merlin and Ralf assume when they are waiting at the inn to go to the castle?
2. When do Merlin and Ralf return to Bryn Myrddin?
3. Where does Merlin tell Stilicho to tell people he is if they come looking for Merlin while he is gone?
4. When does Merlin meet Arthur for the first time after his birth?
5. What does Merlin have a vision of through smoke in his makeshift lab at the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dream does Merlin have while traveling to the glass blower's hut in the forest? What is its significance?
2. Why does Merlin seek out the holy man in the forest chapel?
3. What does Uther reveal to Merlin about his injury? How does this effect his concern for Arthur?
4. What are some of the extraordinary qualities attributed to Merlin? How many, if any, of them are true? What is the truth about Merlin?
5. The spring after Arthur's twelfth birthday brings the rumblings of war to England. What happens?
6. What question does Bedwyr raise while at the chapel with Arthur and Merlin that others have not asked? How does Arthur respond?
7. Merlin asks the messenger to give him all the information he has on the world outside of Merlin's cave. He tells him about the war and the invading Saxons. What significance does this play to the story?
8. What saves Merlin and company while they are traveling through the Perilous Forest? How? Does the author lead the reader to believe that this is an ordinary occurrence?
9. Moravik has a unique perspective of Merlin. What is it and why does she feel the way she does about him?
10. What does the term "Flood Year" refer to? Why is it important to the story?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)