|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the woods that Merlin and his troop ride through?
(a) The Forbidden Forest.
(b) The Perilous Forest.
(c) The Enchanted Wood.
(d) The Secret Wood.
2. Where does Merlin first see visions?
(a) In a cave of crystals.
(b) In the wind blowing through the trees.
(c) In a crystal ball he keeps in the backroom.
(d) In his home's fire.
3. How does Merlin know that someone has recently been in the forest chapel where the holy man lives?
(a) There is a candle that is not yet hard after burning.
(b) There is a half eaten dinner.
(c) Both of these.
(d) Neither of these.
4. What does Merlin dream about while traveling north through the forest?
(a) A mystical lake.
(b) None of these.
(c) A mysterious and magical woman.
(d) An enchanted sword.
5. What is the name of the chamberlain who tells Merlin about the king's condition?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the son of Ban of Benoic?
2. What names do Merlin and Ralf assume when they are waiting at the inn to go to the castle?
3. What does Arthur bring Merlin the day after Arthur meets him?
4. What drug is Merlin given to provide him some comfort after hurting his hand?
5. What profession does Merlin assume when they are waiting at the inn to go to the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uther reveal to Merlin about his injury? How does this effect his concern for Arthur?
2. What does Ector tell Merlin of the other royal families in the area? Why are their activities important?
3. Merlin asks the messenger to give him all the information he has on the world outside of Merlin's cave. He tells him about the war and the invading Saxons. What significance does this play to the story?
4. What saves Merlin and company while they are traveling through the Perilous Forest? How? Does the author lead the reader to believe that this is an ordinary occurrence?
5. The spring after Arthur's twelfth birthday brings the rumblings of war to England. What happens?
6. What plan do Merlin and Ygraine develop for Arthur after his birth? Why?
7. What does the term "Flood Year" refer to? Why is it important to the story?
8. What question does Bedwyr raise while at the chapel with Arthur and Merlin that others have not asked? How does Arthur respond?
9. Why does Merlin travel in disguise with the infant Arthur? What disguise does he assume?
10. What are some of the extraordinary qualities attributed to Merlin? How many, if any, of them are true? What is the truth about Merlin?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)