|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the chamberlain who tells Merlin about the king's condition?
2. What takes Merlin by surprise after he calls out for the holy man?
(a) A great white owl.
(b) A swarm of bats.
(c) None of these.
(d) A large black crow.
3. Whose eyes does Merlin believe Arthur has?
4. Who has been sent to be a servant to Merlin and then Arthur, once he is born?
(d) None of these.
5. Where does Merlin go after leaving Arthur and Ralf?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Merlin visit on his way back home?
2. What does Coll mean?
3. What does Merlin injure when he falls from his horse on a sunny day?
4. Where is Arthur living when he meets Merlin?
5. What profession does Merlin assume when they are waiting at the inn to go to the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Merlin hide himself away in his cave for three months after returning to Bryn Myrddin?
2. How does Merlin realize that the king's soldiers are closer than he thought? What does he plan to tell the soldiers when he and Ralf are found?
3. Why does Merlin seek out the holy man in the forest chapel?
4. How does Merlin come to know the Old Ones in the forest?
5. Why does Merlin travel in disguise with the infant Arthur? What disguise does he assume?
6. What parts of Arthur's upbringing do Merlin and Uther agree on? What parts do they not agree on? What is Merlin's solution to the problem?
7. Four men come to visit Merlin at Bryn Myrddin, claiming they are sent by King Uther. Merlin knows that this is not true. How does he know?
8. Why does Merlin spend so much time traveling all over Europe? Where does he go? How long is he gone?
9. What saves Merlin and company while they are traveling through the Perilous Forest? How? Does the author lead the reader to believe that this is an ordinary occurrence?
10. How does Arthur finally meet Merlin? How does Merlin recognize the boy?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)