|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Merlin first see visions?
(a) In a crystal ball he keeps in the backroom.
(b) In a cave of crystals.
(c) In his home's fire.
(d) In the wind blowing through the trees.
2. Where does Merlin tell Stilicho to tell people he is if they come looking for Merlin while he is gone?
(a) Traveling to Tintagel.
(b) In Sicily.
(c) At the glass blower's hut in the forest.
(d) In Abba's Valley tending sheep.
3. When does Ralf take Arthur to Count Ector?
(a) When he is three.
(b) When he is six.
(c) When he is five.
(d) When he is four.
4. What piece of history does Merlin teach Arthur and his companion at the chapel?
(a) The battle between Ambrosius and Vortigern.
(b) The battle between Ambrosius and Kaerconan.
(c) The battle between Lot and Uther.
(d) The battle between Ambrosius and Lot.
5. What distracts the outlaws just as they are about to spot Merlin and his troop?
(a) A band of soldiers.
(b) A pack of dogs.
(c) A golden bird.
(d) A white deer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many small hillsmen surround Merlin in the forest as he wakes?
2. What is Merlin's proper name?
3. Who does Merlin take with him on his journey home?
4. What is Arthur's younger sister's name?
5. Where do Merlin and Ralf meet the king's soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Merlin find Macsen's sword?
2. What does Ector tell Merlin of the other royal families in the area? Why are their activities important?
3. What does Ralf tell Merlin about the riders who attacked him on his way to Merlin's to deliver a letter?
4. How does Merlin realize that the king's soldiers are closer than he thought? What does he plan to tell the soldiers when he and Ralf are found?
5. How does Arthur finally meet Merlin? How does Merlin recognize the boy?
6. Why does Merlin seek out the holy man in the forest chapel?
7. Four men come to visit Merlin at Bryn Myrddin, claiming they are sent by King Uther. Merlin knows that this is not true. How does he know?
8. What is the significance of the star that shines the night that Arthur is born and the night he leaves the castle?
9. Merlin asks the messenger to give him all the information he has on the world outside of Merlin's cave. He tells him about the war and the invading Saxons. What significance does this play to the story?
10. What does the term "Flood Year" refer to? Why is it important to the story?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)