|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thaddeus Bristol refer to the performers as at Jane Snow-Hernandez Elementary School?
2. The son in "Based Upon a True Story" is hit by what kind of truck?
3. What is the name of the Cottingham's maid?
4. What do the Cottinghams give the beggar the first time?
5. Where is the first school performance that Thaddeus Bristol critiques?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the giving contest become gruesome in "Christmas Means Giving"?
2. How does Jim Timothy's studio gain the rights to real life stories?
3. What are some of the mini-series that Jim Timothy has produced?
4. Why is Jim Timothy interested in one of the church members?
5. What has been the trajectory of Jim Timothy's career?
6. What are Thaddeus Bristol's complaints about the performance of "A Christmas Carol"?
7. What is the purpose of the narrator's Christmas card in "Christmas Means Giving"?
8. What is the premise of "A Reindeer's Gift"?
9. How does the narrator describe his feelings on the last Christmas described in "Christmas Means Giving"?
10. What happens when the Cottingham family move into next door to the narrator in "Christmas Means Giving"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the irony of the situation for the following characters: Jocelyn Dunbar, young David Sedaris and Jim Timothy.
Essay Topic 2
What is the irony of SantaLand? What does "SantaLand Diaries" illustrate about the modern American Christmas season?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difference between the flat and round characters in "Holidays on Ice." Were any characters truly fully developed? Why or why not?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)