|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thaddeus Bristol say is ironically missing from each performance?
2. According to Jim Timothy the child whose mother performed surgery was dying of _________.
3. What does the narrator build so he won't be outdone by the Cottinghams?
4. How much cash is Jim Timothy offering each member of the church congregation?
5. What was Jim Timothy put in charge of at a rival network?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of "A Reindeer's Gift"?
2. Who is Jim Timothy addressing in "Based Upon A True Story"?
3. What are some of the mini-series that Jim Timothy has produced?
4. What does Thaddeus Bristol see as the irony in the Christmas pageants he critiques?
5. Why is Jim Timothy interested in one of the church members?
6. How does the narrator describe his feelings on the last Christmas described in "Christmas Means Giving"?
7. What happens when the Cottingham family move into next door to the narrator in "Christmas Means Giving"?
8. What is the premise of 'Front Row Center with Thaddeus Bristol "?
9. What is Thaddeus Bristol's complaint about the performance at Sacred Heart Elementary?
10. What are Thaddeus Bristol's complaints about the performance of "A Christmas Carol"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the lasting impression that "Holidays on Ice" makes on the reader? What do you think the author's intent was in writing this story collection?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of the of the individual versus society and how it resonates throughout the stories in "Holidays on Ice."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters of The Walrus and the Santa who never goes out of character in the story "SantaLand Diaries." How do these characters represent the paradox of the commercial Christmas?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)