|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What might the narrator of "Christmas Means Giving" give his wife for a stocking stuffer?
2. How old is the child that the mother performed surgery on, according to Jim Timothy?
3. What do the Cottinghams die from in "Christmas Means Giving"?
4. What does the mother who performed surgery on her own son say saved him in "Based Upon a True Story"?
5. What does Jim Timothy say is an indication he is not from the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thaddeus Bristol rate Becky Michaels as a director?
2. Why can't Jim Timothy contact the women in the church who performed the miraculous surgery?
3. What happens when the Cottingham family move into next door to the narrator in "Christmas Means Giving"?
4. What are Thaddeus Bristol's complaints about the performance of "A Christmas Carol"?
5. What did Thaddeus Bristol have to say about the performances of Mary and Joseph in the Sacred Heart Elementary school play?
6. What does the narrator discover happens to his sons after he gives them to the beggar?
7. How does Jim Timothy's studio gain the rights to real life stories?
8. What is the great choice that Jim Timothy suggests the people of Jasper's Breath have in front of them?
9. What is Jim Timothy's definition of Art?
10. What does Thaddeus Bristol see as the flaws in "A Reindeer's Gift" at Scottsfield Elementary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Thaddeus Bristol and what he represents in society.
Essay Topic 2
What do these stories reveal about the importance of social status in American middle-class culture?
Essay Topic 3
What is the irony of SantaLand? What does "SantaLand Diaries" illustrate about the modern American Christmas season?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)