|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim Timothy says the best stories are what?
2. Jim Timothy touts his skills as a __________.
3. What does Jim Timothy use as an example of waiting for a good offer?
4. What is the name of the town where Jim Timothy is speaking to a church congregation?
5. What odor does Thaddeus Bristol complain about at the first school performance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has been the trajectory of Jim Timothy's career?
2. What is the purpose of the narrator's Christmas card in "Christmas Means Giving"?
3. What does Thaddeus Bristol see as the irony in the Christmas pageants he critiques?
4. Whose performance receives the only compliment from Thaddeus Bristol?
5. What happens when the Cottingham family move into next door to the narrator in "Christmas Means Giving"?
6. Why can't Jim Timothy contact the women in the church who performed the miraculous surgery?
7. What is the premise of "A Reindeer's Gift"?
8. What does Jim Timothy offer the members of the congregation if they help him?
9. How does "Christmas Means Giving" end?
10. What is the premise of 'Front Row Center with Thaddeus Bristol "?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Sedaris covers the difficult topics of racism and class snobbery in his stories.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss both the narrative tone and structure of these stories and their impact on the reader's experience.
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature of David's relationship with his sister Lisa? What purpose does her character serve in the story "Dinah, the Christmas Whore"?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)