|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beth die from in "Christmas Means Giving"?
2. What body part does Doug Cottingham donate first?
3. What might the narrator of "Christmas Means Giving" give his wife for a stocking stuffer?
4. Thaddeus Bristol says bad theater was used as torture before the invention of the _____.
5. What does Jim Timothy use as an example of waiting for a good offer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is particularly disturbing about Beth's medical contributions?
2. How does the narrator describe his feelings on the last Christmas described in "Christmas Means Giving"?
3. How does Jim Timothy's studio gain the rights to real life stories?
4. What is the premise of "A Reindeer's Gift"?
5. What does the narrator discover happens to his sons after he gives them to the beggar?
6. What does Thaddeus Bristol see as the irony in the Christmas pageants he critiques?
7. What happens when the Cottingham family move into next door to the narrator in "Christmas Means Giving"?
8. What is the purpose of the narrator's Christmas card in "Christmas Means Giving"?
9. What are some of the mini-series that Jim Timothy has produced?
10. Who is Jim Timothy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the irony of the situation for the following characters: Jocelyn Dunbar, young David Sedaris and Jim Timothy.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the difference between the flat and round characters in "Holidays on Ice." Were any characters truly fully developed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of appearance versus reality as it is illustrated in various stories in the collection.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)