|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What allows Stanley to see the rock that looks like a thumb against the night sky?
2. What did Gladys Tennyson run out of her house to tell Sam?
3. What does Zigzag offer Stanley that starts a fight in Part 2?
4. What does Mr. Sir do when he finally decides to fill Stanley's canteen?
5. What encourages Stanley on through the desert when he is alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Zigzag and the other boys do to Stanley to bait him into a fight?
2. How has Zero survived the harsh desert for so long when Stanley finds him?
3. What happens when lightning crosses the dark desert sky?
4. What happens when Zero & Stanley return to camp from the mountain?
5. After recovering on top of the mountain, what do Zero and Stanley plan to do?
6. Describe the boy that comes to Camp Green Lake to take Zero's place.
7. Why does Stanley feel he needs to go back down the mountain, and what is making him hesitant to go?
8. What happens when the attorney tries to get Stanley in the car to leave Camp Green Lake?
9. What happens when the water truck comes to the dig site the afternoon Zero's replacement arrives?
10. Explain how it changes Stanley's situation that Zero is digging for Stanley an hour out of every day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the relationship between Zero and Stanley to that of the relationship between Madam Zeroni and Elya Yelnats.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the situations and actions that had to arise in order to assure that Madam Zeroni's and Elya Yelnats' descendants were both at Green Lake at the same time. Was this luck or destiny? Why did Green Lake's drought seemingly begin and end with the Yelnats' family curse?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ways that Sam's onions helped Stanley and Zero in the book. In what ways is this different that the way they had helped the town so long ago? In what ways is it similar?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)