|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What encourages Stanley on through the desert when he is alone?
2. What was Zero's mother at one point in time?
3. What is Stanley's biggest fear about dying?
4. What does Mr. Pendanski say Stanley should be trying to teach reading to rather than Zero?
5. What does Stanley do for Zero to keep him moving and his mind off the pain when they are in the desert alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Zero and Stanley spend their time doing on top of the mountain?
2. Explain how it changes Stanley's situation that Zero is digging for Stanley an hour out of every day?
3. What happens when Zero & Stanley return to camp from the mountain?
4. What does Mr. Pendanski say happened when the other couselors and the warden come to investigate the fight between Stanley and Zigzag?
5. What happens when Stanley and Zero are able to make it to the top of the mountain?
6. What happens when the attorney tries to get Stanley in the car to leave Camp Green Lake?
7. What happened when Trout came back to Green Lake?
8. When Kissing Kate Barlow came back to her town of Green Lake what did she find?
9. What does Stanley learn about Zero's past?
10. What do Zigzag and the other boys do to Stanley to bait him into a fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance that race plays for the characters in the book. In what ways is Sam and Kate's struggle with racism similar to that of the problem that Zero and Stanley face while at camp? In what ways is it different?
Essay Topic 2
There are many things that Stanley believes to be bad luck because of his family curse. Explain how each thing that happened to him could be looked at as a positive thing since Stanley eventually found the fortune buried by Kate Barlow.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Stanley Yelnats and his family. How does this relationship differ from the other kids shown at camp? In what way could Stanley's family relationship have been better?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)