|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do X-Ray and Zigzag offer Stanley mockingly?
2. What is wrong with Zero when Stanley finds him after the water truck incident?
3. What name does Stanley find on the upside-down object he finds while walking in the desert alone?
4. What reason does the lawyer say the warden can't check the suitcase?
5. Why did Linda Miller marry Trout Walker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Stanley found innocent of stealing the sneakers?
2. Explain how it changes Stanley's situation that Zero is digging for Stanley an hour out of every day?
3. What happens when lightning crosses the dark desert sky?
4. What happens when Zero is questioned about the reading lessons Stanley is giving him?
5. Why does Stanley feel he needs to go back down the mountain, and what is making him hesitant to go?
6. What does Mr. Pendanski say happened when the other couselors and the warden come to investigate the fight between Stanley and Zigzag?
7. What happens after Mr. Sir has filled Stanley's canteen for the first time?
8. How has Zero survived the harsh desert for so long when Stanley finds him?
9. What stops the warden from taking the metal case from Zero and Stanley?
10. What happens when the water truck comes to the dig site the afternoon Zero's replacement arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Speculate on the reasons that X-Ray is the head of the boys at Tent D. What characteristics does X-Ray have that put him in a position of authority? Why is X-Ray unable to congratulate Stanley and Zero when they are released from camp?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mr. Pendanski's personality. Is he as abusive to the children as Mr. Sir? Why was Mr. Pendanski willing to take the abuse dished out by the warden? Why did Mr. Pendanski insist on treating Zero like he was stupid?
Essay Topic 3
Look at Zero's personality. Why did Zero hit Mr. Pendanski with a shovel? Why would Zero refuse to go back to camp when it was likely he would die in the desert? Why was Zero so willing to dig for Stanley and to fight for him when Zigzag attacked?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)