|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Pendanski's response to the rock with the fish fossil?
2. What did Hattie Potter tell Sam and Kate that God will punish them for?
3. What does Stanley memorize before he is moved closer to the hole that X-Ray had been digging when he claimed to have found the tube?
4. What did Sarah sing to her son Stanley after he was born?
5. What does the warden have Mr. Pendanski do to punish him for not obeying her without question?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the beginning of the third day of digging?
2. What crime is Stanley sent to Camp Green Lake for?
3. What does Zero want from Stanley?
4. What does Stanley begin to notice changing in himself by Part 1, Chapter 17?
5. What does X-Ray tell Stanley after Stanley has shown his fossil fish to Mr. Pendanski?
6. What does the warden do to Mr. Pendanski while at the dig site?
7. What does Stanley suddenly realize about the initials on the tube of lipstick that X-Ray gave to the warden?
8. What does Stanley find while digging on his second day?
9. How does Mr. Sir punish Stanley even though Stanley doesn't say anything about Mr. Sir's discolored face?
10. What does Stanley tell X-Ray to do with the object he finds on his second day of digging?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Did Sam's onions have healing powers? Why did the people in the town go to see the doctor and take Sam's concoction? Why is it the only place in Green Lake that didn't dry up was Sam's onion field?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the role Trout Walker's character played in the following:
1) The story of Kate and Sam.
2) The story of Stanley and Zero's story.
3) The book 'Holes' overall.
Essay Topic 3
Take a look at Kate Barlow's character. Describe the change that takes place when Sam is killed. What shows the change that has happened to her other than the change in her name? (from Kate Barlow to Kissing Kate Barlow)
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)