|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Barf Bag, aka Lewis, the boy who had previously occupied Stanley's cot?
2. What does Mr. Sir have in his mouth when he meets Stanley?
3. When Stanley returns to the camp after digging his second hole, what does he find happening?
4. What does Stanley pretend that Camp Green Lake is offering him when he writes letters to his mother?
5. What did Hattie Potter tell Sam and Kate that God will punish them for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crime is Stanley sent to Camp Green Lake for?
2. What happens after Mr. Sir has filled Stanley's canteen for the first time?
3. What do Zigzag and the other boys do to Stanley to bait him into a fight?
4. What does Stanley find while digging on his second day?
5. What happens at the beginning of the third day of digging?
6. Why does Stanley offer to teach Zero to read?
7. What does Stanley say to his mother in his letters home?
8. What does Stanley tell X-Ray to do with the object he finds on his second day of digging?
9. When Kissing Kate Barlow came back to her town of Green Lake what did she find?
10. What do Zero and Stanley spend their time doing on top of the mountain?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance that race plays for the characters in the book. In what ways is Sam and Kate's struggle with racism similar to that of the problem that Zero and Stanley face while at camp? In what ways is it different?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ways that Sam's onions helped Stanley and Zero in the book. In what ways is this different that the way they had helped the town so long ago? In what ways is it similar?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mr. Pendanski's personality. Is he as abusive to the children as Mr. Sir? Why was Mr. Pendanski willing to take the abuse dished out by the warden? Why did Mr. Pendanski insist on treating Zero like he was stupid?
This section contains 1,498 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)