|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Mr. Walker given the name "Trout"?
2. Who did something to Stanley's hole while Stanley was away talking with the warden?
3. Why does Zero say he did what he did to Stanley's hole while Stanley was away talking with the warden?
4. What does Stanley refuse from Mr. Pendanski after Stanley gets out of the first hole he dug?
5. What does the warden do after telling Mr. Sir she doesn't care about his sunflower seeds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the warden do to Mr. Pendanski while at the dig site?
2. What does Stanley find while digging on his second day?
3. What does Stanley suddenly realize about the initials on the tube of lipstick that X-Ray gave to the warden?
4. Explain what the routine is like at Camp Green Lake.
5. What is the warden's reply to Mr. Sir's accusations of Stanley stealing the sunflower seeds?
6. Describe Camp Green Lake.
7. Describe the yellow-spotted lizards.
8. How does Stanley handle the fact that he is going to Camp Green Lake?
9. Describe the shovels and the reason that the kids are given the shovels at Camp Green Lake.
10. How does Stanley's second hole differ from the first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Speculate on the reasons that X-Ray is the head of the boys at Tent D. What characteristics does X-Ray have that put him in a position of authority? Why is X-Ray unable to congratulate Stanley and Zero when they are released from camp?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the role Trout Walker's character played in the following:
1) The story of Kate and Sam.
2) The story of Stanley and Zero's story.
3) The book 'Holes' overall.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the words to the lullaby that had been passed down through both the Yelnats family and the Zeroni family. What is significant about the words in the song?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)