|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why could Sam and Kate not see each other?
(a) Sam was poor.
(b) Kate was spoken for.
(c) Kate was blind.
(d) Sam was black.
2. How are the boys supposed to measure the holes that they dig?
(a) With their shovels.
(b) With their arms.
(c) The warden comes and measures.
(d) They are given rulers.
3. What happened to Mary Lou after Sam was killed?
(a) She ran away.
(b) She was eaten.
(c) Kate managed to hide her.
(d) She was shot in the head.
4. Who does Mr. Pendanski say the boys have to blame for being at camp?
(b) Their parents.
(c) The failed judicial system.
(d) Bad luck.
5. Why does Stanley tell X-Ray to wait to give what he found in the hole on the third day to Mr. Pendanski until the next day?
(a) So they can lie about where they found it.
(b) So they can see if there is anything valuable about the tube.
(c) They want to try the lipstick on.
(d) So that they will get more time off.
6. What does X-Ray tell Stanley to do with anything else Stanley finds in his holes?
(a) Put it back in the hole.
(b) Give it to X-Ray.
(c) Take it directly to the warden.
(d) Feed it to the yellow-spotted lizards.
7. What does Mr. Sir do when Stanley comes to have his canteen filled with water?
(a) Spits in Stanley's water.
(b) Gives Stanley's water to X-Ray.
(c) Refuses to give Stanley any water.
(d) Pours Stanley's water on the ground.
8. Who does the warden pair Stanley with?
9. What happens when the bag of sunflower seeds Magnet stole is thrown to Stanley?
(a) Stanley spills them in his hole.
(b) Stanley throws them right back.
(c) Stanley gives them back to Mr. Sir.
(d) Stanley saves them for later.
10. What happens to Stanley over time at the camp?
(a) He begins to get sick.
(b) He grows stronger.
(c) He starts to hate the camp.
(d) He makes friends with Mr. Pendanski.
11. What was Kate Barlow's job in the town of Green Lake?
(a) School teacher.
(d) Saloon girl.
12. What does a boy comment on that makes Mr. Sir angry and results in Mr. Sir physically abusing the boy?
(a) Mr. Sir's stitches.
(b) Mr. Sir's new dog.
(c) Mr. Sir's broken arm.
(d) Mr. Sir's swollen face.
13. What reason does Mr. Pendanski give for Mr. Sir being in a bad mood?
(a) Mr. Sir lost his hat.
(b) Mr. Sir quit smoking.
(c) Mr. Sir hates the heat.
(d) Mr. Sir has a tooth ache.
14. Why was Mr. Walker given the name "Trout"?
(a) His feet smelled like dead fish.
(b) His lips looked like a fish.
(c) He swished his butt when he walked like a fish tail.
(d) He was as bright as a fish.
15. What does the warden explain is the secret ingredient in her red nail polish?
(a) Lizard spit.
(b) Scorpion venom.
(c) Snake blood.
(d) Snake venom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the warden poke Armpit with while he is on a bathroom break?
2. Why does Stanley's family not go to court to defend Stanley?
3. What does Stanley memorize before he is moved closer to the hole that X-Ray had been digging when he claimed to have found the tube?
4. What does the warden try to get the boys to do the day after the lipstick is brought to the warden's attention?
5. Who does Stanley's family say is the cause of their bad luck?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)