|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Mr. Pendanski give for Mr. Sir being in a bad mood?
(a) Mr. Sir has a tooth ache.
(b) Mr. Sir hates the heat.
(c) Mr. Sir lost his hat.
(d) Mr. Sir quit smoking.
2. What does a boy comment on that makes Mr. Sir angry and results in Mr. Sir physically abusing the boy?
(a) Mr. Sir's stitches.
(b) Mr. Sir's swollen face.
(c) Mr. Sir's new dog.
(d) Mr. Sir's broken arm.
3. How does Zigzag say the warden knows so much about the boys?
(a) Evil gnomes.
(b) Mr. Sir's detailed reports.
(c) Microphones and cameras.
4. What does Stanley memorize before he is moved closer to the hole that X-Ray had been digging when he claimed to have found the tube?
(a) How many steps it is from one hole to the next.
(b) The phrase that the warden uses when talking to Mr. Pendanski.
(c) The hole the tube had originally been found.
(d) The location of the sun.
5. Why does Stanley's family not go to court to defend Stanley?
(a) Stanley have been in too much trouble already.
(b) Stanley needs to learn a lesson.
(c) They have no money.
(d) They are out of town.
6. What does Stanley pretend Camp Green Lake is to make it more enjoyable?
(a) Summer school.
(b) A sleep over.
(c) A day spa resort.
(d) A rich kid summer camp.
7. What tradition do the boys have after they finish every hole?
(a) To name it.
(b) To kick a pile of dirt back in it.
(c) To urinate in it.
(d) To spit in it.
8. What is Stanley's original reply when Zero asks him to teach him to read?
(a) You can't learn.
(c) We don't have time.
9. What did the sheriff tell Kate that he always got drunk before?
(a) A dance.
(b) He gets a kiss.
(c) A hanging.
(d) His town meeting.
10. What is not true about the yellow-spotted lizards?
(a) They have a yellow spotted tongue.
(b) They eat sunflower seed shells.
(c) They have red around their eyes.
(d) They have black teeth.
11. Where had Stanley's great-grandfather said that he found refuge when he was left in the desert for 17 days?
(a) God's shelter.
(b) The finger of God.
(c) Atop of a mountain.
(d) The hand of God.
12. Who does the warden pair Stanley with?
13. How are the boys supposed to measure the holes that they dig?
(a) They are given rulers.
(b) With their shovels.
(c) The warden comes and measures.
(d) With their arms.
14. What was Kate Barlow known for making?
(a) Spiced peaches.
(b) Apple dumplings.
(c) Grape jelly.
(d) Fig preserves.
15. What does X-Ray do the next morning when Stanley tries to talk about the objective he found digging on the third day?
(a) X-Ray hits Stanley.
(b) X-Ray says he has lost the object.
(c) X-Ray ignores Stanley.
(d) X-Ray pulls Stanley to a secret place to talk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stanley have a harder time digging the second day?
2. What is said to be true if a person can see the yellow spots on a yellow-spotted lizard?
3. What happened to Stanley's great-grandfather's fortune when he went out west?
4. Why could Sam and Kate not see each other?
5. What does Stanley pretend that Camp Green Lake is offering him when he writes letters to his mother?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)