|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 3, Chapter 1, the DA revealed that Gantos was the _________ person to come forward.
2. What is the full name of Jack Gantos?
3. Where had Gantos buried the hash he still had before he had been incarcerated?
4. What were prisoners not allowed to keep, as described in Section 3, Chapter 4?
5. In Section 3, Chapter 8, the author writes that years later, he retrieved the ship's log, but he laments he has never retrieved what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was Gantos released from prison in Section 3, Chapter 7? What were the conditions of his release?
2. What did Gantos discover when he read his own medical file in Section 3, Chapter 6? How did he react?
3. What was Gantos allowed to take with him when he left prison in Section 3, Chapter 7? What was he not allowed to take?
4. How is Gantos's hearing described in Section 3, Chapter 3?
5. What does Gantos write of "getting caught" stories in Section 2, Chapter 4?
6. Describe the meeting with the first buyer in Section 2, Chapter 4. What were Gantos's fears and how did he act on them?
7. What interaction did Gantos have with this father in Section 3, Chapter 3? How did Gantos feel about it?
8. How does Gantos describe the drug scene in prison in Section 3, Chapter 5? Why did he choose not to use drugs?
9. How did Gantos help a prisoner who had swallowed hash in Section 3, Chapter 5? How was he rewarded?
10. Where did Gantos and his peers stay while in New York in Section 2, Chapter 4? How does the author describe this setting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack Gantos's self esteem in Section1: Chapter 3. Why did Jack feel his ideas for novels weren't worthy? How was Gantos perceived by his classmates and teachers? What characteristics did Jack embody at a young age? Did he relate to girls? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Gantos and Hamilton's interactions with the U.S. Coast Guard in Section 2, Chapter 3. What dangers did the men face with these close encounters? Why did Hamilton choose to follow the plane after the storm? Was this wise? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of Gantos' childhood in Pennsylvania and Florida. Where in each state did Gantos live? When did his family move to Florida? How does Gantos describe his family life and his father's business? How did Gantos feel about his father?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)