|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gantos's father believed Rik to be a __________.
2. In Section 1, Chapter 2, Gantos explains he was in what year in high school when he began working?
3. Why was Jack Gantos unable to attend school in San Juan?
4. Hamilton and Gantos were unable to reach Rik in what city?
5. What did Gantos and Hamilton believe a Japanese fishing vessel to be in Section 2, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Gantos inspired by the writing of Jack Kerouac in Section 1, Chapter 4?
2. What did Gantos do instead of departing for St. Croix?
3. Where did Gantos's father take the family and point out criminals to Gantos?
4. Where did Gantos go after he was betrayed by Scanlon? What did he contemplate?
5. Describe Gantos's low point in Section 1, Chapter 4. What did Gantos do during this time?
6. How does the author describe the cover photo from the book in Section 1, Chapter 1? What circumstances does he relate which caused his acne?
7. What is central in the exposition revealed in Section 1, Chapter 4? How is Gantos established as a character?
8. What was the second business deal Gantos made with Rik in Section 2, Chapter 1? Why did he take the offer?
9. How old was Gantos when he began working full-time? How does he describe the work and his lifestyle in Section 1, Chapter 2?
10. Describe Gantos's experience with drugs in high school. What did he think of the experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the beat writer movement, Jack Kerouac and On the Road. When did the beats gain fame and what influence did they have on Jack Gantos? How did On the Road have an impact on Gantos? Where did he hope to travel based on the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Gantos's aspirations as a writer. Since what age had Gantos wanted to be an author? Who influenced him? What did Jack's family think about his aspirations? How did Gantos's teachers perceive his writing talent?
Essay Topic 3
Define, identify and analyze the foreshadowing in Section 2, Chapter 4. What sense did Gantos and Hamilton get upon realizing their boat had been moved? How does the author use this incident to raise suspense in the narrative?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)