|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Tim Scanlon claim he was picking up merchandise in Section 1, Chapter 4?
2. In what city in Florida did Gantos finish high school?
3. What did Gantos and Hamilton believe a Japanese fishing vessel to be in Section 2, Chapter 3?
4. After being battered by storms for three days, what did Hamilton order Gantos to follow?
5. Section 2, Chapter 3 shows Gantos knew little of smuggling, as he took photos of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe St. Croix upon his arrival in Section 2, Chapter 1?
2. Where did Gantos's father take the family and point out criminals to Gantos?
3. What did Gantos and Rik pack in the crate? How was Gantos paid?
4. Describe the beginning of Gantos's journey in Section 2, Chapter 2. Where did he first sail?
5. How does Gantos relate that prison helped him as a writer in Section 1, Chapter 1?
6. How does Gantos describe his school in Fort Lauderdale? What was Gantos like among his schoolmates?
7. What did Gantos do instead of departing for St. Croix?
8. Where did Gantos's family send him to finish high school? Why did he leave this home?
9. How old was Gantos when he began working full-time? How does he describe the work and his lifestyle in Section 1, Chapter 2?
10. What was the second business deal Gantos made with Rik in Section 2, Chapter 1? Why did he take the offer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ernest Hemingway and John Hersey and their influence on Jack Gantos. When did each of these authors live and what were their major works? How did Gantos compare himself to Hersey, and why did he consider himself a coward?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the route taken by Gantos and Hamilton in Section 2, Chapter 2. How were these waters regulated? What dangers did the men face? Were there patrols in these areas? How dangerous was the possibility of pirates?
Essay Topic 3
Define, identify and analyze the foreshadowing in Section 2, Chapter 4. What sense did Gantos and Hamilton get upon realizing their boat had been moved? How does the author use this incident to raise suspense in the narrative?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)