|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamilton forced Gantos to hold cans on yardsticks while he _____________.
2. When Gantos awoke one morning in Section 1, Chapter 4, he was covered in blisters which he began to think of as ___________.
3. What had Jack Gantos dreamed of being since he was young?
4. In Section 2, Chapter 3, a Coast Guard craft approached Hamilton and Gantos's boat and informed them that they were near ___________.
5. When a friend invited Gantos to a party to smoke marijuana, what did he end up doing once he'd arrived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hamilton and the Japanese exchange as thank you gifts? How was it transported?
2. How does the author describe St. Croix upon his arrival in Section 2, Chapter 1?
3. Why did Gantos take upon the job building the crate for Rik in Section 2, Chapter 1?
4. What did Gantos discover in his discussions with Tim Scanlon? What plan did the two of them hatch?
5. How is Gantos's lack of experience illustrated in Section 2, Chapter 3? How is Hamilton's experience illustrated?
6. Where did Gantos go after being kicked out of the Bacons' home?
7. Describe the beginning of Gantos's journey in Section 2, Chapter 2. Where did he first sail?
8. How was Gantos inspired by the writing of Jack Kerouac in Section 1, Chapter 4?
9. What led Hamilton and Gantos to follow the Coast Guard in Section 2, Chapter 3?
10. How does Gantos describe his school in Fort Lauderdale? What was Gantos like among his schoolmates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the final route of Gantos and Hamilton into New York, and discuss their plans with Rik upon docking. Where were the men to meet up? Had Gantos been to New York before? How does he describe it? What did Gantos fear most? Were his fears justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the figure of Hamilton in the narrative. Where was Hamilton from? What was his full name? How experienced was Hamilton with smuggling? How experienced was he working with sailboats? How did Hamilton react to Jack's inexperience?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the figure of Rik in the narrative and Gantos' agreement to smuggle the hash into New York. How did Gantos feel about the dangers he faced? Why did he choose to make the risk? What did he hope to attain in escaping St. Croix?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)