|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jack's friend Tim Scanlon need when he arrived in town?
2. In Section 1, Chapter 4, Gantos found himself inspired by what novel?
3. What did Scanlon claim had happened to him when Gantos called in Section 1, Chapter 4?
4. What was the first stop for Hamilton and Gantos after they set sail?
5. What did the family that Jack Gantos rented a room from in Florida while working on finishing school sell from their home?`
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Gantos's family send him to finish high school? Why did he leave this home?
2. How does Gantos describe his journal and its divisions in Section 1, Chapter 3?
3. Where did Gantos and Hamilton find fuel in Section 2, Chapter 3? Why was it necessary?
4. Why did Gantos decide not to attend a university right away? How does he describe his meeting at a college in Section 1, Chapter 3?
5. How old was Gantos when he began working full-time? How does he describe the work and his lifestyle in Section 1, Chapter 2?
6. How does Gantos relate that prison helped him as a writer in Section 1, Chapter 1?
7. What did Gantos discover in his discussions with Tim Scanlon? What plan did the two of them hatch?
8. Describe Gantos's experience with drugs in high school. What did he think of the experience?
9. What did Gantos learn from Hamilton along the journey in Section 2, Chapter 3?
10. How was Gantos inspired by the writing of Jack Kerouac in Section 1, Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of St. Croix in the early 1970s and the business of John Gantos. Why was the business failing in St. Croix? What led to the uprisings? How did Gantos feel upon his arrival? How much hope did Gantos have for building money for college in this situation? What did the family hope to do?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the stay of Gantos and his peers at the Chelsea Hotel. What were Gantos' impressions of the Chelsea Hotel and its former occupants? Which of these authors had been most influential to Gantos? How did Gantos' love for authors present itself as a lifesaver upon the FBI bust?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of Gantos' childhood in Pennsylvania and Florida. Where in each state did Gantos live? When did his family move to Florida? How does Gantos describe his family life and his father's business? How did Gantos feel about his father?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)