|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 2, Chapter 1, Gantos found himself in St. Croix, but it had changed drastically and _______were readily available.
2. What did Rik pay Gantos with in Section 2, Chapter 1?
3. After a day's sail, Hamilton took Gantos to what location where the hash was buried?
4. Gantos wrote in the ship's log as if it were ___________.
5. Gantos agreed to to help Hamilton sail with hash from St. Croix to what city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hamilton and the Japanese exchange as thank you gifts? How was it transported?
2. How does the author describe the cover photo from the book in Section 1, Chapter 1? What circumstances does he relate which caused his acne?
3. How is Hamilton's knowledge of Gantos and his fears described in Section 2, Chapter 3?
4. What led Hamilton and Gantos to follow the Coast Guard in Section 2, Chapter 3?
5. Describe Gantos's low point in Section 1, Chapter 4. What did Gantos do during this time?
6. How is Gantos's lack of experience illustrated in Section 2, Chapter 3? How is Hamilton's experience illustrated?
7. Where did Gantos go after he was betrayed by Scanlon? What did he contemplate?
8. What did Gantos learn from Hamilton along the journey in Section 2, Chapter 3?
9. How does the author describe St. Croix upon his arrival in Section 2, Chapter 1?
10. Describe the beginning of Gantos's journey in Section 2, Chapter 2. Where did he first sail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Gantos and Hamilton's interactions with the U.S. Coast Guard in Section 2, Chapter 3. What dangers did the men face with these close encounters? Why did Hamilton choose to follow the plane after the storm? Was this wise? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the beat writer movement, Jack Kerouac and On the Road. When did the beats gain fame and what influence did they have on Jack Gantos? How did On the Road have an impact on Gantos? Where did he hope to travel based on the book?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the route taken by Gantos and Hamilton in Section 2, Chapter 2. How were these waters regulated? What dangers did the men face? Were there patrols in these areas? How dangerous was the possibility of pirates?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)