|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gantos viewed his own medical file in Section 3, Chapter 6, he saw that the parole board had called him what?
(b) A danger to himself and others.
(c) Mentally unstable.
2. Whom did Gantos's father bring with him when he visited Gantos in prison in Section 3, Chapter 6?
(a) Gantos's mother.
(b) Gantos's grandfather.
(c) Gantos's brother.
(d) Gantos's sister.
3. From what institution did Jack Gantos earn his BFA and his MA?
(a) Hope College.
(b) Smithwick College.
(c) Emerson College.
(d) Madison Community College.
4. In Section 3, Chapter 8, the author writes that years later, he retrieved the ship's log, but he laments he has never retrieved what?
(a) His car.
(b) His prison journal.
(c) The sailboat.
(d) The hash in Central Park.
5. As Gantos never had visitors, he made arrangements to clear what on visitation days?
(a) The bathrooms.
(b) The hospital offices.
(c) The warden's office.
(d) The exercise yard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamilton and Gantos stayed in a hotel that had previously housed a great number of _____________.
2. Without books, what did Gantos find himself reading during his first week at the federal prison?
3. Gantos's lawyer continued to tell Gantos he would only receive ____________.
4. Where was the bunk that Gantos chose in the holding cell?
5. Gantos admits that after he was given his delay by the parole board, what entered his mind in Section 3, Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gantos not return for the hash he had hidden? How does he describe this temptation in Section 3, Chapter 8?
2. What did Gantos learn about the charges against him in Section 3, Chapter 1?
3. What deal was Gantos offered by the DA in Section 3, Chapter 1? What was Gantos's response?
4. How did Gantos feel after his father and brother visited him inebriated in Section 3, Chapter 6?
5. What does Gantos write about "escape stories" in Section 3, Chapter 7?
6. What was Gantos's trip to New York like in Section 3, Chapter 1? What information did he learn?
7. What did Gantos discover when he read his own medical file in Section 3, Chapter 6? How did he react?
8. Describe the meeting with the first buyer in Section 2, Chapter 4. What were Gantos's fears and how did he act on them?
9. What interaction did Gantos have with this father in Section 3, Chapter 3? How did Gantos feel about it?
10. Where was Gantos sent to serve his prison term in Section 3, Chapter 4? How does he describe his arrival there?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)