|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jack's friend Tim Scanlon need when he arrived in town?
(a) To borrow a book.
(b) Place to stay.
(c) Money for drugs.
(d) To use his car.
2. When was Ernest Hemingway born?
3. Gantos's father believed Rik to be a __________.
(b) Serial killer.
(c) Drug smuggler.
4. Jack Gantos's father helped secure him a job as __________ in San Juan.
(a) An electrician.
(b) A plumber.
(c) A landscaper.
(d) A janitor.
5. With what was Gantos paid while working in St. Croix with his father?
(b) Food and liquor.
(c) Room and board.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamilton was a sailor from what country?
2. What did the family that Jack Gantos rented a room from in Florida while working on finishing school sell from their home?`
3. In Section 2, Chapter 1, Gantos found himself in St. Croix, but it had changed drastically and _______were readily available.
4. According to Hamilton, how did Gantos look after the boat ran aground?
5. Hamilton and Gantos were unable to reach Rik in what city?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gantos describe his journal and its divisions in Section 1, Chapter 3?
2. How old was Gantos when he began working full-time? How does he describe the work and his lifestyle in Section 1, Chapter 2?
3. What did Gantos learn from Hamilton along the journey in Section 2, Chapter 3?
4. What was the second business deal Gantos made with Rik in Section 2, Chapter 1? Why did he take the offer?
5. What is central in the exposition revealed in Section 1, Chapter 4? How is Gantos established as a character?
6. How was Gantos inspired by the writing of Jack Kerouac in Section 1, Chapter 4?
7. What experience did Gantos have within the political revolution in St. Croix?
8. How does the author describe the cover photo from the book in Section 1, Chapter 1? What circumstances does he relate which caused his acne?
9. Where did Gantos go after being kicked out of the Bacons' home?
10. What did Gantos do instead of departing for St. Croix?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)