|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Section 1: Chapter 3, Gantos dedicated the first section of his four section journal to _________.
(a) Inspired ideas for books.
(b) Passages from books that inspire him.
(c) Vocabulary practice.
(d) Daily entries.
2. Jack Gantos attended a school that was a renovated _________.
(d) Train station.
3. Tim Scanlon promised to help Gantos by going in with him to buy ____________, which they could sell.
(c) Baseball cards.
(d) Broken cars.
4. To what was the third section of Gantos' journal dedicated?
(a) Daily entries.
(b) Vocabulary practice.
(c) Inspired ideas for books.
(d) Passages from books that inspire him.
5. What did Jack's friend Tim Scanlon need when he arrived in town?
(a) Money for drugs.
(b) Place to stay.
(c) To use his car.
(d) To borrow a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Jack Gantos dreamed of being since he was young?
2. Gantos's father believed Rik to be a __________.
3. After locating a translator on board, what did the Japanese on the fishing vessel agree to give Hamilton and Gantos?
4. Where was Ernest Hemingway born?
5. What did the Japanese send back to Hamilton in return for his thank you gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gantos describe his journal and its divisions in Section 1, Chapter 3?
2. How is Gantos's lack of experience illustrated in Section 2, Chapter 3? How is Hamilton's experience illustrated?
3. How is Hamilton's knowledge of Gantos and his fears described in Section 2, Chapter 3?
4. Describe the beginning of Gantos's journey in Section 2, Chapter 2. Where did he first sail?
5. What did Gantos learn from Hamilton along the journey in Section 2, Chapter 3?
6. What led Hamilton and Gantos to follow the Coast Guard in Section 2, Chapter 3?
7. Describe Gantos's low point in Section 1, Chapter 4. What did Gantos do during this time?
8. How does the author describe St. Croix upon his arrival in Section 2, Chapter 1?
9. How was Gantos inspired by the writing of Jack Kerouac in Section 1, Chapter 4?
10. Where did Gantos live the remainder of his senior year in high school? Where was his family?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)