|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what did Gantos and Rik fill the bottom of the crate?
2. What did Hamilton send up to the Japanese fishing vessel as a thank you gift?
(a) Bottle of rum.
(b) Some books.
(d) Chunk of hash.
3. What did Jack Gantos tell his family he had decided not to do right away in Section 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Attend college.
(b) Move to Oregon.
(c) Travel through Europe.
(d) Get married.
4. Section 2, Chapter 3 shows Gantos knew little of smuggling, as he took photos of whom?
(a) Mr. Gantos.
(c) Tim Scanlon.
5. Gantos played a joke on Hamilton by grabbing his leg through the porthole as he swam around the boat, and Hamilton _____________.
(a) Shot at him.
(b) Stabbed the boat with a knife.
(c) Inhaled some water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tim Scanlon promised to help Gantos by going in with him to buy ____________, which they could sell.
2. Gantos agreed to to help Hamilton sail with hash from St. Croix to what city?
3. Where was Ernest Hemingway born?
4. What does Gantos claim to be the cause of his acne in the cover photo?
5. With what was Gantos paid while working in St. Croix with his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the second business deal Gantos made with Rik in Section 2, Chapter 1? Why did he take the offer?
2. How does Gantos relate that prison helped him as a writer in Section 1, Chapter 1?
3. Where did Gantos live the remainder of his senior year in high school? Where was his family?
4. Why did Gantos take upon the job building the crate for Rik in Section 2, Chapter 1?
5. What is central in the exposition revealed in Section 1, Chapter 4? How is Gantos established as a character?
6. How does Gantos describe his school in Fort Lauderdale? What was Gantos like among his schoolmates?
7. How was Gantos inspired by the writing of Jack Kerouac in Section 1, Chapter 4?
8. How is Gantos's lack of experience illustrated in Section 2, Chapter 3? How is Hamilton's experience illustrated?
9. Describe the beginning of Gantos's journey in Section 2, Chapter 2. Where did he first sail?
10. What did Gantos discover in his discussions with Tim Scanlon? What plan did the two of them hatch?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)