|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what was Gantos paid while working in St. Croix with his father?
(a) Food and liquor.
(d) Room and board.
2. What was the name of Jack Gantos's father?
(a) Mitch Gantos.
(b) John Gantos.
(c) Robert Gantos.
(d) Alan Gantos.
3. Tim Scanlon believed all human behavior was controlled by _________.
(b) Chemical reactions.
(c) Electrical impulses.
(d) The conscience.
4. After locating a translator on board, what did the Japanese on the fishing vessel agree to give Hamilton and Gantos?
(a) A pipe.
5. With what family did Jack Gantos first live in Florida while he worked on finishing school?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Farmer.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Bacon.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Donaldson.
6. Gantos agreed to to help Hamilton sail with how much hash from St. Croix in Section 2, Chapter 1?
(a) 3,500 pounds.
(b) 500 pounds.
(c) 2,000 pounds.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
7. What does Gantos claim to be the cause of his acne in the cover photo?
(a) Lack of sunlight.
(b) Stress and a greasy prison diet.
(c) Chemicals used to clean the prison.
(d) Sheets he slept on.
8. In what city in Florida did Gantos finish high school?
(b) Fort Lauderdale.
(c) Key West.
9. Gantos's father believed Rik to be a __________.
(a) Serial killer.
(b) Drug smuggler.
10. Where did Gantos go to wait for Scanlon after giving him money?
(b) Hotel room.
(c) Bus station.
11. The woman who ran the hotel where Gantos lived during his senior year in high school claimed to be related to whom?
(a) Davy Crockett.
(b) Thomas Edison.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Sitting Bull.
12. Hamilton is described as being between ___________ years of age.
13. In Section 1, Chapter 4, Gantos found himself inspired by what novel?
(a) On the Road.
(b) The Subterraneans.
(c) The Sea is My Brother.
(d) Book of Dreams.
14. What does Gantos refer to as men in prison who thrived on pain and suffering?
15. After grounding the boat, Hamilton and Gantos were allowed ashore where they were able to _________.
(a) Eat and wash.
(b) Walk and stretch.
(c) Relax and drink.
(d) Drink and sing.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what was the third section of Gantos' journal dedicated?
2. In Section 2, Chapter 1, Gantos found himself in St. Croix, but it had changed drastically and _______were readily available.
3. As Gantos spent time talking with Tim Scanlon he began to regret his decision to ____________.
4. Jack Gantos attended a school that was a renovated _________.
5. Section 2, Chapter 3 shows Gantos knew little of smuggling, as he took photos of whom?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)