|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Ernest Hemingway born?
2. What did Hamilton send up to the Japanese fishing vessel as a thank you gift?
(b) Some books.
(c) Bottle of rum.
(d) Chunk of hash.
3. The woman who ran the hotel where Gantos lived during his senior year in high school claimed to be related to whom?
(a) Thomas Edison.
(b) Davy Crockett.
(c) Sitting Bull.
(d) George Washington.
4. Hamilton forced Gantos to hold cans on yardsticks while he _____________.
(a) Recited Shakespeare.
(b) Threw rocks at him.
(c) Shot at them.
5. In Section 1, Chapter 4, Gantos found himself inspired by a novel written by what author?
(a) John Hersey.
(b) Hunter S. Thompson.
(c) Jack Kerouac.
6. Gantos played a joke on Hamilton by grabbing his leg through the porthole as he swam around the boat, and Hamilton _____________.
(a) Shot at him.
(b) Inhaled some water.
(c) Stabbed the boat with a knife.
7. Hamilton and Gantos were unable to reach Rik in what city?
(c) New York.
8. What refers to a cannabis preparation composed of compressed stalked resin glands collected from the unfertilized buds of the cannabis plant?
9. With what did Gantos and Rik fill the bottom of the crate?
10. Jack Gantos attended a school that was a renovated _________.
(c) Train station.
11. Where did Gantos arrive just as a tropical storm hit?
(a) St. Croix.
(b) Key West, Florida.
(c) Tallahassee, Florida.
(d) St. John.
12. Gantos agreed to to help Hamilton sail with how much hash from St. Croix in Section 2, Chapter 1?
(a) 500 pounds.
(b) 1,000 pounds.
(c) 3,500 pounds.
(d) 2,000 pounds.
13. Rik asked Gantos to call him if he saw __________ in the harbor.
(a) An orange yacht.
(b) Three blue rowboats.
(c) A kayaker in all black.
(d) A red-sailed boat.
14. Mr. Gantos would drive the family on trips to their hometown and spend time pointing out _______ to Jack.
(a) Ex-cons and criminals.
(d) Cars and trucks.
15. What is the name of the hotel where Gantos found himself living during his senior year in high school?
(a) Oak Knoll Motel.
(b) The King's Court.
(c) Seaside Manor.
(d) Richfield Inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 2, Chapter 2, Gantos, in his stoned state, realized Hamilton was partially insane as he began to refuse to _________.
2. According to Hamilton, how did Gantos look after the boat ran aground?
3. According to the author in Section 1, Chapter 3, one afternoon his entire school was send to the auditorium where they heard presentations from ____________.
4. What led to Jack Gantos being thrown out of the house that he was staying in with an older couple in Florida?
5. After being battered by storms for three days, what did Hamilton order Gantos to follow?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)