|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Scanlon claim had happened to him when Gantos called in Section 1, Chapter 4?
(a) He had met a beautiful woman.
(b) He had been mugged.
(c) He had lost the money.
(d) He had been arrested.
2. In Section 2, Chapter 2, Gantos, in his stoned state, realized Hamilton was partially insane as he began to refuse to _________.
(a) Brush his teeth.
(b) Take a bath.
(c) Wear clothes.
3. After a day's sail, Hamilton took Gantos to what location where the hash was buried?
(a) Black Dove Island.
(b) Orange Iguana Island.
(c) Big Bear Island.
(d) Little Dog Island.
4. After grounding the boat, Hamilton and Gantos were allowed ashore where they were able to _________.
(a) Walk and stretch.
(b) Relax and drink.
(c) Drink and sing.
(d) Eat and wash.
5. With what did Gantos and Rik fill the bottom of the crate?
6. Gantos played a joke on Hamilton by grabbing his leg through the porthole as he swam around the boat, and Hamilton _____________.
(b) Shot at him.
(c) Stabbed the boat with a knife.
(d) Inhaled some water.
7. When a friend invited Gantos to smoke marijuana at a party in Section 1, Chapter 3, he arrived to find only a group of guys sitting on the floor, trying to get high from __________.
(a) Roots and seeds.
(c) Stems and seeds.
(d) Leaves and roots.
8. When was Ernest Hemingway born?
9. When Gantos awoke one morning in Section 1, Chapter 4, he was covered in blisters which he began to think of as ___________.
(b) A stigmata.
10. In Section 1, Chapter 1, Jack Gantos admits the prisoner photograph on the front cover of the book is him, taken when he was how old?
11. With what family did Jack Gantos first live in Florida while he worked on finishing school?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Donaldson.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Bacon.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Farmer.
12. When a friend invited Gantos to a party to smoke marijuana, what did he end up doing once he'd arrived?
(a) Drinking heavily until 4 a.m.
(b) Passing out in the bathtub.
(c) Talking to a dog in the backyard.
(d) Drinking a few beers and leaving.
13. Where was Jack Gantos born?
(a) Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania.
(b) Marquette, Michigan.
(c) Buffalo, New York.
(d) Columbus, Ohio.
14. What author did Gantos think of in Section 1, Chapter 4, who wrote of Hiroshima after the bomb?
(a) Davy Crockett.
(b) Jack Kerouac.
(d) John Hersey.
15. To what was the third section of Gantos' journal dedicated?
(a) Inspired ideas for books.
(b) Daily entries.
(c) Vocabulary practice.
(d) Passages from books that inspire him.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what was the fourth section of Gantos' journal dedicated?
2. Hamilton taught Gantos that he couldn't just defecate in the ocean, as what would likely happen?
3. With what was Gantos paid while working in St. Croix with his father?
4. Where in Florida did Jack Gantos's parents send him so that he could finish school?
5. What does Gantos refer to as men in prison who thrived on pain and suffering?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)