|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Scanlon claim had happened to him when Gantos called in Section 1, Chapter 4?
(a) He had been arrested.
(b) He had lost the money.
(c) He had been mugged.
(d) He had met a beautiful woman.
2. Gantos felt that he was a coward because he could not believe in himself enough to go to ___________ to be a reporter.
3. Where was Ernest Hemingway born?
(a) Oak Park, Illinois.
(b) Portland, Oregon.
(c) San Francisco, California.
(d) Seattle, Washington.
4. How much money did Gantos give Scanlon to make his deal?
5. What is the largest of the Virgin islands?
(a) St. Peter.
(b) St. Croix.
(c) St. John.
(d) St. Thomas.
6. Where in Florida did Jack Gantos's parents send him so that he could finish school?
(b) S.t. Petersburg.
(c) Fort Lauderdale.
(d) Key West.
7. In Section 2, Chapter 2, Gantos, in his stoned state, realized Hamilton was partially insane as he began to refuse to _________.
(a) Wear clothes.
(c) Brush his teeth.
(d) Take a bath.
8. Gantos wrote stories about those around him as well as his own ordeals in prison by journaling in his copy of a book by whom?
9. Tim Scanlon believed all human behavior was controlled by _________.
(a) The conscience.
(b) Chemical reactions.
(d) Electrical impulses.
10. How much money did Rik offer Gantos to help Hamilton bring hash from St. Croix in Section 2, Chapter 1?
11. Gantos's father believed Rik to be a __________.
(c) Serial killer.
(d) Drug smuggler.
12. Why was Jack Gantos unable to attend school in San Juan?
(a) He followed the wrong religion.
(b) He was an illegal alien.
(c) He had a rare disease.
(d) He did not speak Spanish.
13. After a day's sail, Hamilton took Gantos to what location where the hash was buried?
(a) Little Dog Island.
(b) Big Bear Island.
(c) Black Dove Island.
(d) Orange Iguana Island.
14. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
15. When Gantos awoke one morning in Section 1, Chapter 4, he was covered in blisters which he began to think of as ___________.
(d) A stigmata.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gantos played a joke on Hamilton by grabbing his leg through the porthole as he swam around the boat, and Hamilton _____________.
2. Where did Tim Scanlon claim he was picking up merchandise in Section 1, Chapter 4?
3. What did Jack's friend Tim Scanlon need when he arrived in town?
4. Gantos agreed to to help Hamilton sail with hash from St. Croix to what city?
5. Where is San Juan located?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)