Section 1: Chapter 1 and Chapter 2
• In Section 1, Chapter 1, Gantos now admits the prisoner photograph on the front cover of the book is him, taken when he was twenty-one in a federal prison.
• Gantos discusses several incidents of violence in prison, and notes that his childhood was in no way filled with such violence.
• Looking back now, Gantos realizes that prison was where he needed to go in order to change his life; he became a writer through his ordeal, something he had dreamed about as a child.
• In Section 1, Chapter 2, Gantos explains he was a junior in high school when his family moved to San Juan; because Gantos could not attend school, he began working as an electrician.
• Gantos was given access to alcohol, gambling, and a free lifestyle. Soon, he began dreaming of becoming a writer and of finishing school.
• Gantos's parents sent him back to Fort Lauderdale...
This section contains 2,426 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)