|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bird is named in the moon-letters on the map?
2. What is the English translation for the names of the swords (Orcrist and Glamdring) that Thorin and Gandalf now own?
3. What color is Thorin's hood?
4. What does Gollum eat?
5. What type of enchantments is Gandalf especially good at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we learn about the goblins and their intentions from the song they sing while dragging the dwarves and Bilbo down to the Great Goblin?
2. Explain in your own words the history behind the the dwarves' quest for the dragon's treasure. Use details from the dwarves' song and Thorin's story in your answer.
3. What has Beorn been doing when he is absent from the house?
4. How does Bombur manage to fall into the enchanted stream?
5. How do the Wood Elves differ from the goblins in regards to their treatment of prisoners?
6. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
7. What is special about the swords that Gandalf and Thorin took from the trolls' hoard of plunder?
8. Why does Bilbo believe that there is no end to the forest after he climbs up the tall oak to have a look around?
9. In Chapter 9, Bilbo becomes a successful burglar for the first time. Name some of the things he steals, how he does so, and what obstacles he has to overcome.
10. What are some natural features that serve as defenses for Rivendell, both in the way of putting hazards in the path of potential attackers and for hiding/camouflaging Rivendell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many locations are described within the world of The Hobbit. Where would you most like to live in this world and why? Are there any disadvantages or downsides of living in the place you have chosen?
Choose from one of the following possible locations:
3. Beorn's house
5. The palace of the Elvenking
Essay Topic 2
The relationships between major characters often changes within the plot of a novel. Describe how the relationship between Bilbo and the other dwarves, particularly Thorin, changes throughout this novel. What events cause these changes in their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
In the action of The Hobbit, Bilbo changes from being a soft and timid hobbit to being a character of wisdom and courage. Several key events and incidents go towards changing and developing him. Identify at least three of these "turning points" and explore each one. For each "turning point," explain what the turning point was and how it changed Bilbo in some way, or how it marked a milestone in Bilbo's development.
This section contains 1,757 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)