|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bilbo hide while the trolls are fighting and arguing?
2. Why don't the adventurers drink from the black stream in the middle of Mirkwood?
3. What color is Thorin's hood?
4. What does Gloin say about Bilbo that enrages Bilbo so much that he overcomes his fears and joins the adventurers?
5. What does Bilbo not tell the dwarves about his adventures inside the tunnels?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the trees that the adventurers are hiding in in Chapter 6 manage to catch fire?
2. Retell the events of Chapter 6 in your own words from the point of view of the Lord of the Eagles.
3. Describe Beorn in your own words.
4. What accident do the travelers experience in Chapter 6 that turns out to be in their favor?
5. How does Bombur manage to fall into the enchanted stream?
6. How many ways can Gandalf find of interpreting Bilbo's use of the phrase "Good Morning" and what are the different possible meanings?
7. How does Gandalf manage to save the dwarves from being eaten by the trolls?
8. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
9. Describe in your own words how the riddle contest between Bilbo and Gollum was played and what the winner of the contest would win.
10. In Chapter 9, Bilbo becomes a successful burglar for the first time. Name some of the things he steals, how he does so, and what obstacles he has to overcome.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his original drafts of The Hobbit, Tolkien planned for Bilbo to be the one to kill Smaug, using his magic ring and his elvish sword. However, in the final version, Smaug is killed by Bard the Bowman as he harries the town of Esgaroth (Laketown). Why do you think Tolkien made this decision? Would his original idea been a better resolution of the plot and why?
Essay Topic 2
When an author has a large number of characters involved in most of the action of the plot and usually appearing as a group, giving individuals within that group can be difficult. How has Tolkien managed to make the dwarves into distinct characters? Are any of the dwarves "undistinguished" and lacking in individuality?
Essay Topic 3
Are any stereotypes or cliches used in The Hobbit? If so, what are they? If not, what are some things that make The Hobbit fresh and original?
This section contains 1,613 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)