|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were Glamdring and Orcrist originally forged?
2. What does Bilbo find on the floor in Chapter 5?
3. How does Bilbo kill the spiders who have captured the dwarves in their webs?
4. What does Bilbo not tell the dwarves about his adventures inside the tunnels?
5. Which dwarves are the best at lighting fires?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some natural features that serve as defenses for Rivendell, both in the way of putting hazards in the path of potential attackers and for hiding/camouflaging Rivendell?
2. In Chapter 9, Bilbo becomes a successful burglar for the first time. Name some of the things he steals, how he does so, and what obstacles he has to overcome.
3. What is special about the swords that Gandalf and Thorin took from the trolls' hoard of plunder?
4. Why do the goblins take the adventurers prisoner, and what fate do the goblins intend for them?
5. Describe Beorn in your own words.
6. How does Bilbo react when he sees Gollum between him and the way out and why?
7. Why does Bilbo arrive at the Green Dragon without a hat, walking stick or handkerchief, or anything else for the journey?
8. Describe in your own words how the riddle contest between Bilbo and Gollum was played and what the winner of the contest would win.
9. What good luck do the adventurers have while they are staying in Rivendell that is likely to prove vital to their quest?
10. Retell the events of Chapter 6 in your own words from the point of view of the Lord of the Eagles.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationships between major characters often changes within the plot of a novel. Describe how the relationship between Bilbo and the other dwarves, particularly Thorin, changes throughout this novel. What events cause these changes in their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Conflicts and obstacles are very important in creating plot and plot tension. What are some of the important conflicts and obstacles in The Hobbit and how are these conflicts or obstacles resolved and overcome? Do any conflicts remain unresolved, and if so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the character of Bilbo changes from the start of the novel to the end. How does he stay the same?
This section contains 1,783 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)