Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bilbo try to steal from the trolls?
2. Which pair of dwarves are the youngest?
3. Who carries Bilbo at first as they try to escape from the mines after Gandalf kills the Great Goblin?
4. Which dwarf has to come to Beorn's house alone?
5. What is the weak point in Bilbo's plan of escape from the elves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bilbo decide to pick William the troll's pocket?
2. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
3. Describe Beorn in your own words.
4. Why does Bilbo arrive at the Green Dragon without a hat, walking stick or handkerchief, or anything else for the journey?
5. What do the adventurers take from the trolls' treasure hoard?
6. Describe Elrond, the master or ruler of Rivendell in your own words.
7. Why does Bilbo believe that there is no end to the forest after he climbs up the tall oak to have a look around?
8. Why do the goblins take the adventurers prisoner, and what fate do the goblins intend for them?
9. What are the five armies involved in the Battle of the Five Armies?
10. Why do the adventurers take shelter in the cave in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 1
When an author has a large number of characters involved in most of the action of the plot and usually appearing as a group, giving individuals within that group can be difficult. How has Tolkien managed to make the dwarves into distinct characters? Are any of the dwarves "undistinguished" and lacking in individuality?
Essay Topic 2
In building his fantasy world, Tolkien has used fantastic or imaginary elements as well as familiar and real-world elements in order to make his world believable.
Part 1. List and describe some familiar and real-world elements that appear within The Hobbit.
Part 2. List and describe the fantastic or imaginary (magical) elements that appear within this book.
Part 3. Evaluate whether Tolkien has managed to integrate the fantastic with the everyday successfully or not.
Essay Topic 3
The relationships between major characters often changes within the plot of a novel. Describe how the relationship between Bilbo and the other dwarves, particularly Thorin, changes throughout this novel. What events cause these changes in their relationship?
This section contains 1,434 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)