|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thorin use as a weapon against the trolls in Chapter 2?
2. How does Gollum get from his island to the shore of the lake?
3. What does Bilbo see at nightfall as they travel towards Mirkwood?
4. What wakes Bilbo up from his sleep after he realizes he is alone in Chapter 8, after coming across the elves' feast?
5. What special ability does Beorn have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bilbo believe that there is no end to the forest after he climbs up the tall oak to have a look around?
2. What significant turning point in Bilbo's personal development occurs during the events of Chapter 8, and how does it change Bilbo?
3. Describe Beorn in your own words.
4. Describe in your own words how the riddle contest between Bilbo and Gollum was played and what the winner of the contest would win.
5. How many ways can Gandalf find of interpreting Bilbo's use of the phrase "Good Morning" and what are the different possible meanings?
6. Why does Bilbo decide to pick William the troll's pocket?
7. Retell the events of Chapter 6 in your own words from the point of view of the Lord of the Eagles.
8. Why do the adventurers take shelter in the cave in Chapter 4?
9. How do the Wood Elves differ from the goblins in regards to their treatment of prisoners?
10. How does Gandalf manage to save the dwarves from being eaten by the trolls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his essay "On Fairy-Stories" dealing with the nature of fantasy fiction, Tolkien claimed that every author of fantasy strives to build a believable "Secondary World," where marvels and adventure take place, which has the inner consistency of reality." How has Tolkien managed to make the world shown in The Hobbit believable and consistent? Take at least two of the following into account in your answer:
1. Physical setting
2. The setting in time
3. Attention to detail regarding the natural world
Essay Topic 2
Song and poems are often significant in The Hobbit. Choose two of the songs or poems that you believe to be particularly important and explain their significance in detail. Ways that a song or poem can be significant may include foreshadowing, revealing character, developing a theme or explaining background.
Essay Topic 3
Tolkien presents the elves, and in particular the Elvenking, as being Good People. Considering the character of the Elvenking, do you think Tolkien has succeeded in portraying the Wood Elves as good or likable characters? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,641 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)