Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bilbo try to steal from the trolls?
2. Which pair of dwarves are the youngest?
3. Who carries Bilbo at first as they try to escape from the mines after Gandalf kills the Great Goblin?
4. Which dwarf has to come to Beorn's house alone?
5. What is the weak point in Bilbo's plan of escape from the elves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bilbo decide to pick William the troll's pocket?
2. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
3. Describe Beorn in your own words.
4. Why does Bilbo arrive at the Green Dragon without a hat, walking stick or handkerchief, or anything else for the journey?
5. What do the adventurers take from the trolls' treasure hoard?
6. Describe Elrond, the master or ruler of Rivendell in your own words.
7. Why does Bilbo believe that there is no end to the forest after he climbs up the tall oak to have a look around?
8. Why do the goblins take the adventurers prisoner, and what fate do the goblins intend for them?
9. What are the five armies involved in the Battle of the Five Armies?
10. Why do the adventurers take shelter in the cave in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 1
In his original drafts of The Hobbit, Tolkien planned for Bilbo to be the one to kill Smaug, using his magic ring and his elvish sword. However, in the final version, Smaug is killed by Bard the Bowman as he harries the town of Esgaroth (Laketown). Why do you think Tolkien made this decision? Would his original idea been a better resolution of the plot and why?
Essay Topic 2
Song and poems are often significant in The Hobbit. Choose two of the songs or poems that you believe to be particularly important and explain their significance in detail. Ways that a song or poem can be significant may include foreshadowing, revealing character, developing a theme or explaining background.
Essay Topic 3
The relationships between major characters often changes within the plot of a novel. Describe how the relationship between Bilbo and the other dwarves, particularly Thorin, changes throughout this novel. What events cause these changes in their relationship?
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)