|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is supposed to ride in the boat with Bombur?
2. What type of enchantments is Gandalf especially good at?
3. Whose hood and cloak does Bilbo borrow?
4. What does Bilbo's handwriting look like?
5. Which pair of dwarves are the youngest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bilbo discover about his sword and how does he discover this?
2. What are some natural features that serve as defenses for Rivendell, both in the way of putting hazards in the path of potential attackers and for hiding/camouflaging Rivendell?
3. Why do the goblins take the adventurers prisoner, and what fate do the goblins intend for them?
4. How do the trees that the adventurers are hiding in in Chapter 6 manage to catch fire?
5. What strategy does Bilbo use to try to win the riddle contest (not including his final "What have I got in my pocket?" question)?
6. Retell the events of Chapter 6 in your own words from the point of view of the Lord of the Eagles.
7. Why does Bilbo decide to go with the dwarves and declare himself to be willing to join the adventure?
8. Why does Bilbo believe that there is no end to the forest after he climbs up the tall oak to have a look around?
9. How does Bilbo react when he sees Gollum between him and the way out and why?
10. In Chapter 9, Bilbo becomes a successful burglar for the first time. Name some of the things he steals, how he does so, and what obstacles he has to overcome.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In building his fantasy world, Tolkien has used fantastic or imaginary elements as well as familiar and real-world elements in order to make his world believable.
Part 1. List and describe some familiar and real-world elements that appear within The Hobbit.
Part 2. List and describe the fantastic or imaginary (magical) elements that appear within this book.
Part 3. Evaluate whether Tolkien has managed to integrate the fantastic with the everyday successfully or not.
Essay Topic 2
To what extent is one of the following themes significant, and what is said about each one in The Hobbit? Choose ONE of the following:
1. Home and "belonging"
3. The attributes that make a hero
Essay Topic 3
In the action of The Hobbit, Bilbo changes from being a soft and timid hobbit to being a character of wisdom and courage. Several key events and incidents go towards changing and developing him. Identify at least three of these "turning points" and explore each one. For each "turning point," explain what the turning point was and how it changed Bilbo in some way, or how it marked a milestone in Bilbo's development.
This section contains 1,694 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)