|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the adventurers drink from the black stream in the middle of Mirkwood?
2. Why can't the dwarves hear the goblins coming?
3. What does Gollum eat?
4. What type of bird is named in the moon-letters on the map?
5. Whose hood and cloak does Bilbo borrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accident do the travelers experience in Chapter 6 that turns out to be in their favor?
2. Why do the Wood Elves imprison the dwarves?
3. How many ways can Gandalf find of interpreting Bilbo's use of the phrase "Good Morning" and what are the different possible meanings?
4. Retell the events of Chapter 6 in your own words from the point of view of the Lord of the Eagles.
5. How does Bilbo react when he sees Gollum between him and the way out and why?
6. What does Bilbo discover about his sword and how does he discover this?
7. How do the Wood Elves differ from the goblins in regards to their treatment of prisoners?
8. Why does Bilbo arrive at the Green Dragon without a hat, walking stick or handkerchief, or anything else for the journey?
9. What strategy does Bilbo use to try to win the riddle contest (not including his final "What have I got in my pocket?" question)?
10. Explain in your own words the history behind the the dwarves' quest for the dragon's treasure. Use details from the dwarves' song and Thorin's story in your answer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his original drafts of The Hobbit, Tolkien planned for Bilbo to be the one to kill Smaug, using his magic ring and his elvish sword. However, in the final version, Smaug is killed by Bard the Bowman as he harries the town of Esgaroth (Laketown). Why do you think Tolkien made this decision? Would his original idea been a better resolution of the plot and why?
Essay Topic 2
Fantasy stories and quests often tell of the struggle between good and evil. How are good and evil characterized in The Hobbit?
Part 1: Identify the characters that are defined as being good. What are the attitudes, beliefs and actions of characters that are considered to be good?
Part 2: Identify the characters that represent evil. What are the attitudes, beliefs and actions of these characters?
Part 3: Is the divide between good and evil clear-cut, or are there some characters that are mixed (e.g. a good character shows some characteristics that are bad)? Give details.
Essay Topic 3
Bilbo's character is described as having a "Baggins" side and a "Tookish" side, both of which struggles for dominance inside him.
Part 1: Describe Bilbo's "Baggins" part of his nature.
Part 2: Describe the "Tookish" side of Bilbo's nature.
Part 3: Choose an incident (apart from the start of the book) where the two sides of his nature seem to be in conflict. Which side wins?
This section contains 1,857 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)