|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
(a) The Wood Elves.
(c) The dwarves, using an ancient and secret recipe.
(d) The Lake-men.
2. What is the name of Dain's father?
3. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
(a) The wind from Smaug's wings makes all the arrows miss their targets.
(b) Smag has a magic of his own that makes him invulnerable.
(c) The arrows either bounce off his scales and diamond encrusted underbelly, or he incinerates them with his fiery breath.
(d) Smaug flies so high and fast that no arrows can reach him.
4. Which dwarf is not present on the Doorstep when the door is finally opened?
5. Why can Bard understand the speech of the thrush?
(a) The thrush spoke Bard's native language.
(b) He has studied the language of birds and is used to it.
(c) His ancestors came from Dale, where the people had the power of understanding the speech of birds.
(d) It was a special, magical thrush that could make any human that spoke to it understand.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, qho does Bard ask for help in making sure that the refugees from Laketown have food and shelter to help them through the oncoming winter?
2. What wound has Gandalf sustained during the Battle of the Five Armies?
3. What phase of the moon is showing when Bilbo realizes that Durin's Day has come and they can find the keyhole?
4. Who killed Bolg, the goblin cheiftan?
5. How does Thorin learn that Bilbo was the one who gave the Arkenstone to Bard and the Elvenking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the meaning of the ambiguous or riddling answers Bilbo gives to Smaug to avoid revealing his name to the dragon (and thus giving the dragon power over him)?
2. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
3. Upon what does Bard the Bowman base his claim to a share of the dragon's treasure?
4. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
5. Why does Bilbo give the Arkenstone to Bard the Bowman?
6. What reconciles the forces of the men and elves, and the dwarves in Chapter 17?
7. Describe what the Master of Laketown is like in your own words.
8. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
9. What is the dwarves' original plan or strategy?
10. How do Bilbo and the dwarves know that they have successfully found the secret entrance into the mountain?
This section contains 1,634 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)