|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who killed Bolg, the goblin cheiftan?
(a) Bard the Bowman.
(b) Gandalf, who called down lightning.
(c) Beorn in bear's shape.
(d) Thorin, who got his death-wound fighting single-handed against Bolg.
2. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
(a) They believe that the dragon does not exist.
(b) They believe that the river will flow with gold once the King Under the Mountain returns.
(c) They believe that Thorin is not the rightful King Under the Mountain.
(d) They believe that the dragon is harmless and even friendly.
3. Which dwarf is not present on the Doorstep when the door is finally opened?
4. What does Bilbo give to the Elvenking to pay for the food and wine he stole from him?
(a) A crown of silver set with diamonds.
(b) A necklace of silver and pearls.
(c) His sword Sting.
(d) A chest of gold.
5. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bard astonished when the thrush lands on his shoulder?
2. Who is supposed to be on watch when Bilbo steals out of the stronghold to the elves and Lakemen?
3. What phase of the moon is showing when Bilbo realizes that Durin's Day has come and they can find the keyhole?
4. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
5. What type of bird brings Bilbo and the dwarves the news of the dragon's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Bilbo and the dwarves know that they have successfully found the secret entrance into the mountain?
2. What is the dwarves' original plan or strategy?
3. Upon what does Bard the Bowman base his claim to a share of the dragon's treasure?
4. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
5. Why does only the Black Arrow shot by Bard manage to kill Smaug while all other arrows are harmless?
6. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
7. Why does the dwarves' imprisonment turn out to be a lucky accident?
8. Describe what the Master of Laketown is like in your own words.
9. What dreams or legends do the Lakemen have regarding the King Under the Mountain and Smaug?
10. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
This section contains 1,404 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)