|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Try to capture one of the thrushes, crows or ravens and use its feathers as a disguise to sneak into the mountain through the Front Gate.
(b) Go back to Laketown and ask for more supplies and weapons.
(c) Talk to the thrushes and see if they know the secret of opening the door.
(d) Go into the mountain through the Front Gate using his magic ring.
2. Why is the King of the Wood Elves wiser than the men of Laketown?
(a) He quickly realizes how the dwarves managed to escape from his dungeons.
(b) He knows a way to kill Smaug that the Lake-men do not.
(c) He believes in the old songs and tales that the Master of Laketown has forgotten about.
(d) He realizes that the dwarves will have to steal from Smaug rather than attempt to kill him, which is what the Lake-men believe.
3. How does Thorin learn that Bilbo was the one who gave the Arkenstone to Bard and the Elvenking?
(a) Bard tells Thorin where he got the Arkenstone from.
(b) A raven who saw Bilbo going to the camp tells him.
(c) Bilbo confesses to giving it to them.
(d) Thorin finds Bilbo's distinctive footprints leading out of the stronghold.
4. Who is supposed to be on watch when Bilbo steals out of the stronghold to the elves and Lakemen?
5. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
(a) A bat startles him.
(b) He believes the dragon is coming back and wants to hide.
(c) He trips over a necklace of pearls.
(d) He is so surprised when he sees the Arkenstone that he drops the torch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
2. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
3. What does Bilbo manage to steal from Smaug in Chapter 12?
4. What animals or creatures can be found near the doorstep?
5. What does the Master believe about Thorin and his company at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cause of most of the casualties resulting from Smaug's attack on Esgaroth (Laketown)?
2. How do Bilbo and the dwarves know that they have successfully found the secret entrance into the mountain?
3. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
4. Explain the meaning of the ambiguous or riddling answers Bilbo gives to Smaug to avoid revealing his name to the dragon (and thus giving the dragon power over him)?
5. Why does only the Black Arrow shot by Bard manage to kill Smaug while all other arrows are harmless?
6. What details are given in Chapter 11 as hints to an alert reader that the one chance of finding the keyhole is about to present itself?
7. Upon what does Bard the Bowman base his claim to a share of the dragon's treasure?
8. Why does Smaug laugh when Bilbo tells him that revenge is one of the motives of their quest?
9. What are the five armies involved in the Battle of the Five Armies?
10. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
This section contains 1,699 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)