|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
(a) His knowledge of the Elvish languages.
(b) His love of old songs.
(c) His excellent memory and people skills.
(d) His economic expertise.
2. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
(a) Bowman the Bard.
(b) Bard ap Girion.
(c) Bard of Esgaroth.
(d) Bard the Bowman.
3. What does Thorin take as armor and weapons from the hoard of Smaug's treasure?
(a) Spears with the heads inlaid with gold, an emerald-studded shield and a crown.
(b) Silver armour, a belt set with rubies and a black mace set with diamonds.
(c) A coat of silver mail, a helmet encrusted with diamonds and an ivory bow.
(d) A coat of gold-plated rings, an axe with a silver haft and a belt encrusted with scarlet stones.
4. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
(a) The Iron Hills to the northeast of the lake.
(b) The Lonely Mountain.
(c) The Long Lake.
(d) A landslide.
5. What wound has Gandalf sustained during the Battle of the Five Armies?
(a) A broken arm from falling off a cliff.
(b) Loss of half a foot when a goblin hacked it off with an axe.
(c) An undefined wound in the arm that requires him to wear a sling.
(d) A bad cut to the head that required stitching.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bilbo manage to steal from Smaug in Chapter 12?
2. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
3. Which of the following does Bard not use as a reason why the dwarves should share the treasure with the people of Laketown?
4. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
5. How does the Elvenking react to the sight of the Arkenstone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does only the Black Arrow shot by Bard manage to kill Smaug while all other arrows are harmless?
2. What dreams or legends do the Lakemen have regarding the King Under the Mountain and Smaug?
3. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
4. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
5. What reconciles the forces of the men and elves, and the dwarves in Chapter 17?
6. What details are given in Chapter 11 as hints to an alert reader that the one chance of finding the keyhole is about to present itself?
7. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
8. Upon what does Bard the Bowman base his claim to a share of the dragon's treasure?
9. What can be deduced about the dragon from the steam and smoke coming out from the Front Gate?
10. What are the five armies involved in the Battle of the Five Armies?
This section contains 1,626 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)