|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
2. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
(a) That the dragon has set himself on fire.
(b) That the dragon is watching them from the side of the mountain.
(c) That the dragon is getting ready to come out and eat them.
(d) That the dragon is alive.
3. Who killed Bolg, the goblin cheiftan?
(a) Bard the Bowman.
(b) Thorin, who got his death-wound fighting single-handed against Bolg.
(c) Beorn in bear's shape.
(d) Gandalf, who called down lightning.
4. What animals or creatures can be found near the doorstep?
(a) Snakes, spiders and crows.
(b) Snails and scorpions.
(c) Thrushes and giant snails.
(d) Thrushes and ravens.
5. What did Smaug meet in his nightmare before he wakes up?
(a) A brave warrior with a sword.
(b) A bigger, stronger dragon wanting to steal his hoard.
(c) Thieves stealing from his hoard.
(d) An army of archers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
2. Why does Smaug react with such great fury in Chapter 12?
3. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
4. How does the Elvenking react to the sight of the Arkenstone?
5. In Chapter 12, who volunteers to come some of the way down the tunnel with Bilbo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
2. What details are given in Chapter 11 as hints to an alert reader that the one chance of finding the keyhole is about to present itself?
3. Why does Bilbo give the Arkenstone to Bard the Bowman?
4. What can be deduced about the dragon from the steam and smoke coming out from the Front Gate?
5. What is the cause of most of the casualties resulting from Smaug's attack on Esgaroth (Laketown)?
6. Why does the dwarves' imprisonment turn out to be a lucky accident?
7. Why does Thorin refuse to share the treasure with Bard and his allies and treat them with hostility?
8. Why does only the Black Arrow shot by Bard manage to kill Smaug while all other arrows are harmless?
9. Upon what does Bard the Bowman base his claim to a share of the dragon's treasure?
10. How is the treasure divided after the battle is won in Chapter 17?
This section contains 1,564 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)