|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, who volunteers to come some of the way down the tunnel with Bilbo?
2. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
3. What phase of the moon is showing when Bilbo realizes that Durin's Day has come and they can find the keyhole?
(a) A half moon.
(b) A full moon.
(c) A waning crescent.
(d) A new moon.
4. How does Thorin learn that Bilbo was the one who gave the Arkenstone to Bard and the Elvenking?
(a) Thorin finds Bilbo's distinctive footprints leading out of the stronghold.
(b) A raven who saw Bilbo going to the camp tells him.
(c) Bilbo confesses to giving it to them.
(d) Bard tells Thorin where he got the Arkenstone from.
5. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
(a) Five feet high.
(b) We are not told.
(c) Six feet high.
(d) Three feet high.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
2. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
3. What type of bird brings Bilbo and the dwarves the news of the dragon's death?
4. What is the other name for the Arkenstone?
5. What is the most common building material used in Laketown?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thorin refuse to share the treasure with Bard and his allies and treat them with hostility?
2. What dreams or legends do the Lakemen have regarding the King Under the Mountain and Smaug?
3. What is the dwarves' original plan or strategy?
4. What reconciles the forces of the men and elves, and the dwarves in Chapter 17?
5. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
6. Upon what does Bard the Bowman base his claim to a share of the dragon's treasure?
7. Why does only the Black Arrow shot by Bard manage to kill Smaug while all other arrows are harmless?
8. What is the cause of most of the casualties resulting from Smaug's attack on Esgaroth (Laketown)?
9. What are the five armies involved in the Battle of the Five Armies?
10. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)