|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
(a) None - the dragon has eaten them all.
2. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Try to capture one of the thrushes, crows or ravens and use its feathers as a disguise to sneak into the mountain through the Front Gate.
(b) Go into the mountain through the Front Gate using his magic ring.
(c) Talk to the thrushes and see if they know the secret of opening the door.
(d) Go back to Laketown and ask for more supplies and weapons.
3. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
(a) He lost a bet and had to go on guard duty as a result.
(b) He does not believe that Bilbo and the others have really found the secret door.
(c) He thinks he is too fat for the ropes and that he will get dizzy or trip on the path.
(d) He is very fond of the ponies and doesn't want to leave them behind.
4. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
(a) Throwing loose rocks at the cliff face.
(b) Beating on the stone and pushing at the cliff face.
(c) Using pickaxes to break through the stone.
(d) Reciting spells that can open locked doors.
5. What colors is Smaug?
(a) Red and green.
(b) Green and gold.
(c) Red and black.
(d) Red and gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bilbo manage to steal from Smaug in Chapter 12?
2. What did Smaug meet in his nightmare before he wakes up?
3. Why is the King of the Wood Elves wiser than the men of Laketown?
4. Why do the people of Lake-town destroy the bridges as a defense against the onslaught of the dragon?
5. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
2. How do Bilbo and the dwarves know that they have successfully found the secret entrance into the mountain?
3. What can be deduced about the dragon from the steam and smoke coming out from the Front Gate?
4. What is the cause of most of the casualties resulting from Smaug's attack on Esgaroth (Laketown)?
5. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
6. Why does only the Black Arrow shot by Bard manage to kill Smaug while all other arrows are harmless?
7. Why does Bombur remain in the lower camp with the ponies and supplies in Chapter 11?
8. Why does Thorin refuse to share the treasure with Bard and his allies and treat them with hostility?
9. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
10. What dreams or legends do the Lakemen have regarding the King Under the Mountain and Smaug?
This section contains 1,521 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)