|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bard astonished when the thrush lands on his shoulder?
(a) He can understand its speech.
(b) He believes the thrush is a spy of the dragon's sent to distract his aim.
(c) The thrush is the emblem on his family coat of arms.
(d) He thought all the thrushes in the area had been killed by the dragon.
2. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Go into the mountain through the Front Gate using his magic ring.
(b) Talk to the thrushes and see if they know the secret of opening the door.
(c) Try to capture one of the thrushes, crows or ravens and use its feathers as a disguise to sneak into the mountain through the Front Gate.
(d) Go back to Laketown and ask for more supplies and weapons.
3. Why does Smaug react with such great fury in Chapter 12?
(a) He is outraged that someone has dared to steal from him.
(b) He smells the dwarves and realizes that they are coming to kill him.
(c) He is extremely disturbed by his nightmare.
(d) He is hungry after his long sleep and his hunger infuriates him.
4. Why is Bilbo unhappy during their stay in Laketown?
(a) He is suspicious about the possible motives of the Master.
(b) He has a bad cold.
(c) He does not like the food that the Lake-men offer them.
(d) He still wishes he was back in his hobbit-hole.
5. What animals or creatures can be found near the doorstep?
(a) Snails and scorpions.
(b) Thrushes and giant snails.
(c) Snakes, spiders and crows.
(d) Thrushes and ravens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
2. What advice does Roac give to Thorin about the Lakemen?
3. Why do the people of Lake-town destroy the bridges as a defense against the onslaught of the dragon?
4. Which of the following does Bard not use as a reason why the dwarves should share the treasure with the people of Laketown?
5. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)