|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 14, qho does Bard ask for help in making sure that the refugees from Laketown have food and shelter to help them through the oncoming winter?
(a) The King of the Wood Elves.
(b) The dwarves of the Iron Hills.
(c) Beorn and the woodsmen who hunt the Wargs.
(d) The goblins of the Misty Mountains.
2. Which of the following does Thorin not threaten to do to Bilbo in Chapter 17?
(a) Throw him off the cliff.
(b) Stab him with his own elvish dagger.
(c) Never be friends with him again.
(d) Shoot at his feet with arrows.
3. In Chapter 16, who does Bilbo deal with and offer his share of the treasure to, along with the Arkenstone?
(a) The Elvish High Council.
(b) Gandalf and Bard.
(c) Bard and the King of the Wood Elves.
(d) Bard and the Master.
4. In Chapter 12, who volunteers to come some of the way down the tunnel with Bilbo?
5. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
(a) The Long Lake.
(b) The Lonely Mountain.
(c) A landslide.
(d) The Iron Hills to the northeast of the lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the other name for the Arkenstone?
2. Why can Bard understand the speech of the thrush?
3. Who finds the 'doorstep' of the secret door in Chapter 11?
4. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
5. What does Bilbo give to the Elvenking to pay for the food and wine he stole from him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Bilbo and the dwarves know that they have successfully found the secret entrance into the mountain?
2. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
3. Describe what the Master of Laketown is like in your own words.
4. What details are given in Chapter 11 as hints to an alert reader that the one chance of finding the keyhole is about to present itself?
5. What are the five armies involved in the Battle of the Five Armies?
6. What is the dwarves' original plan or strategy?
7. Why does Smaug laugh when Bilbo tells him that revenge is one of the motives of their quest?
8. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
9. Explain the meaning of the ambiguous or riddling answers Bilbo gives to Smaug to avoid revealing his name to the dragon (and thus giving the dragon power over him)?
10. Why does Bombur remain in the lower camp with the ponies and supplies in Chapter 11?
This section contains 1,587 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)