|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
(a) Throwing loose rocks at the cliff face.
(b) Using pickaxes to break through the stone.
(c) Beating on the stone and pushing at the cliff face.
(d) Reciting spells that can open locked doors.
2. Why does Smaug react with such great fury in Chapter 12?
(a) He is extremely disturbed by his nightmare.
(b) He smells the dwarves and realizes that they are coming to kill him.
(c) He is outraged that someone has dared to steal from him.
(d) He is hungry after his long sleep and his hunger infuriates him.
3. Why can Bard understand the speech of the thrush?
(a) He has studied the language of birds and is used to it.
(b) His ancestors came from Dale, where the people had the power of understanding the speech of birds.
(c) It was a special, magical thrush that could make any human that spoke to it understand.
(d) The thrush spoke Bard's native language.
4. What animals or creatures can be found near the doorstep?
(a) Thrushes and ravens.
(b) Thrushes and giant snails.
(c) Snails and scorpions.
(d) Snakes, spiders and crows.
5. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
(a) The arrows either bounce off his scales and diamond encrusted underbelly, or he incinerates them with his fiery breath.
(b) The wind from Smaug's wings makes all the arrows miss their targets.
(c) Smag has a magic of his own that makes him invulnerable.
(d) Smaug flies so high and fast that no arrows can reach him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which dwarves are killed in the battle or die because of wounds sustained during it?
2. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
3. What colors is Smaug?
4. What wound has Gandalf sustained during the Battle of the Five Armies?
5. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does only the Black Arrow shot by Bard manage to kill Smaug while all other arrows are harmless?
2. How is the treasure divided after the battle is won in Chapter 17?
3. What can be deduced about the dragon from the steam and smoke coming out from the Front Gate?
4. What details are given in Chapter 11 as hints to an alert reader that the one chance of finding the keyhole is about to present itself?
5. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
6. Why does Thorin refuse to share the treasure with Bard and his allies and treat them with hostility?
7. Describe what the Master of Laketown is like in your own words.
8. What is the dwarves' original plan or strategy?
9. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
10. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
This section contains 1,692 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)