|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who attacks first and starts the war over the dragon gold?
(a) The Lakemen.
(b) The elves.
(c) The goblins and wargs.
(d) The dwarves.
2. What is the other name for the Arkenstone?
(a) The Heart of Darkness.
(b) The Heart of the Dragon.
(c) The Heart of the Mountain.
(d) The Mountain of Light.
3. How does Bilbo know that the gem he stumbles across is the Arkenstone?
(a) Bilbo recognizes it from Thorin's description.
(b) It is written in letters of gold across one of the facets of the stone.
(c) He does not know it is the Arkenstone at all and fails to recognize it.
(d) He hears the ghost of a long-dead dwarf whisper its name to him as he picks it up.
4. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
(a) None - the dragon has eaten them all.
5. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
(a) He trips over a necklace of pearls.
(b) He believes the dragon is coming back and wants to hide.
(c) A bat startles him.
(d) He is so surprised when he sees the Arkenstone that he drops the torch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
2. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
3. Why is Bard astonished when the thrush lands on his shoulder?
4. What does Bilbo manage to steal from Smaug in Chapter 12?
5. What is the most common building material used in Laketown?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)