|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
(a) Using pickaxes to break through the stone.
(b) Throwing loose rocks at the cliff face.
(c) Reciting spells that can open locked doors.
(d) Beating on the stone and pushing at the cliff face.
2. Who killed Bolg, the goblin cheiftan?
(a) Gandalf, who called down lightning.
(b) Beorn in bear's shape.
(c) Thorin, who got his death-wound fighting single-handed against Bolg.
(d) Bard the Bowman.
3. What is the most common building material used in Laketown?
(c) Rammed earth.
4. Why does Smaug react with such great fury in Chapter 12?
(a) He is outraged that someone has dared to steal from him.
(b) He smells the dwarves and realizes that they are coming to kill him.
(c) He is extremely disturbed by his nightmare.
(d) He is hungry after his long sleep and his hunger infuriates him.
5. What had Fili's barrel been used to carry before he escaped inside it?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks first and starts the war over the dragon gold?
2. What wound has Gandalf sustained during the Battle of the Five Armies?
3. What did Smaug meet in his nightmare before he wakes up?
4. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
5. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
2. Upon what does Bard the Bowman base his claim to a share of the dragon's treasure?
3. Explain the meaning of the ambiguous or riddling answers Bilbo gives to Smaug to avoid revealing his name to the dragon (and thus giving the dragon power over him)?
4. What are the five armies involved in the Battle of the Five Armies?
5. Why does Bilbo give the Arkenstone to Bard the Bowman?
6. What details are given in Chapter 11 as hints to an alert reader that the one chance of finding the keyhole is about to present itself?
7. Why does Bombur remain in the lower camp with the ponies and supplies in Chapter 11?
8. What is the cause of most of the casualties resulting from Smaug's attack on Esgaroth (Laketown)?
9. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
10. What reconciles the forces of the men and elves, and the dwarves in Chapter 17?
This section contains 1,517 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)