|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unexpected news does Bilbo give the elves and Lakemen?
(a) Smaug had a mate who is still alive inside the mountain.
(b) Dain from the Iron Hills is coming to Thorin's aid.
(c) The goblins are on their way to take the treasure.
(d) Thorin is weakening and is prepared to share.
2. What colors is Smaug?
(a) Red and gold.
(b) Green and gold.
(c) Red and green.
(d) Red and black.
3. Which dwarf is not present on the Doorstep when the door is finally opened?
4. What is the name of Dain's father?
5. Why is Bard astonished when the thrush lands on his shoulder?
(a) The thrush is the emblem on his family coat of arms.
(b) He thought all the thrushes in the area had been killed by the dragon.
(c) He believes the thrush is a spy of the dragon's sent to distract his aim.
(d) He can understand its speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Bard understand the speech of the thrush?
2. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
3. How old is Roac the raven?
4. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
5. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reconciles the forces of the men and elves, and the dwarves in Chapter 17?
2. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
3. Why does Thorin refuse to share the treasure with Bard and his allies and treat them with hostility?
4. How is the treasure divided after the battle is won in Chapter 17?
5. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
6. How do Bilbo and the dwarves know that they have successfully found the secret entrance into the mountain?
7. What is the dwarves' original plan or strategy?
8. Upon what does Bard the Bowman base his claim to a share of the dragon's treasure?
9. Why does only the Black Arrow shot by Bard manage to kill Smaug while all other arrows are harmless?
10. What can be deduced about the dragon from the steam and smoke coming out from the Front Gate?
This section contains 1,485 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)