|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Master believe about Thorin and his company at first?
(a) That Thorin will be killed by the dragon.
(b) That they are frauds.
(c) That Thorin is the true King Under the Mountain.
(d) That Thorin will be a worthy ally and trade partner.
2. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
(a) A landslide.
(b) The Iron Hills to the northeast of the lake.
(c) The Lonely Mountain.
(d) The Long Lake.
3. How can the dwarves and Bilbo reach the third camp outside the 'doorstep'?
(a) On horseback.
(b) Only by ropes - no other way is possible.
(c) By floating along the river.
(d) Either by a narrow path along the edge of a precipice or by ropes.
4. What unexpected news does Bilbo give the elves and Lakemen?
(a) The goblins are on their way to take the treasure.
(b) Dain from the Iron Hills is coming to Thorin's aid.
(c) Smaug had a mate who is still alive inside the mountain.
(d) Thorin is weakening and is prepared to share.
5. Which of the following does Thorin not threaten to do to Bilbo in Chapter 17?
(a) Stab him with his own elvish dagger.
(b) Shoot at his feet with arrows.
(c) Never be friends with him again.
(d) Throw him off the cliff.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Thorin's sword Orcrist?
2. How do the dwarves manage to obtain three ponies in Chapter 15?
3. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
4. Who attacks first and starts the war over the dragon gold?
5. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bombur remain in the lower camp with the ponies and supplies in Chapter 11?
2. Describe what the Master of Laketown is like in your own words.
3. Why does the dwarves' imprisonment turn out to be a lucky accident?
4. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
5. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
6. Why does Thorin refuse to share the treasure with Bard and his allies and treat them with hostility?
7. Why does Bilbo give the Arkenstone to Bard the Bowman?
8. What is the dwarves' original plan or strategy?
9. What is the cause of most of the casualties resulting from Smaug's attack on Esgaroth (Laketown)?
10. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
This section contains 1,447 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)