|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bilbo know that the gem he stumbles across is the Arkenstone?
(a) Bilbo recognizes it from Thorin's description.
(b) He does not know it is the Arkenstone at all and fails to recognize it.
(c) He hears the ghost of a long-dead dwarf whisper its name to him as he picks it up.
(d) It is written in letters of gold across one of the facets of the stone.
2. What happened to Thorin's sword Orcrist?
(a) The King of the Wood Elves took it from Thorin when he was made prisoner.
(b) Nothing - Thorin uses it to enhance his kingly apperance when he presents himself to the Master of Laketown.
(c) It had fallen off and become lost while the Eagles were rescuing the adventurers from the wargs and goblins.
(d) It had become hopelessly rusty in the trip down the river.
3. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
(a) He is very fond of the ponies and doesn't want to leave them behind.
(b) He does not believe that Bilbo and the others have really found the secret door.
(c) He thinks he is too fat for the ropes and that he will get dizzy or trip on the path.
(d) He lost a bet and had to go on guard duty as a result.
4. How do the dwarves manage to obtain three ponies in Chapter 15?
(a) Dain from the Iron Hills sends the ponies to help Thorin.
(b) They find that three of the ponies escaped from the dragon and were wandering down the river.
(c) Bilbo steals the ponies off the Lakemen using his magic ring.
(d) They capture and tame wild ponies that were living in the area.
5. In Chapter 16, who does Bilbo deal with and offer his share of the treasure to, along with the Arkenstone?
(a) The Elvish High Council.
(b) Gandalf and Bard.
(c) Bard and the King of the Wood Elves.
(d) Bard and the Master.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
2. What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills wear that is their special technological secret?
3. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
4. What did Smaug meet in his nightmare before he wakes up?
5. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the dwarves' original plan or strategy?
2. How is the treasure divided after the battle is won in Chapter 17?
3. What are the five armies involved in the Battle of the Five Armies?
4. Describe what the Master of Laketown is like in your own words.
5. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
6. Why does Smaug laugh when Bilbo tells him that revenge is one of the motives of their quest?
7. What dreams or legends do the Lakemen have regarding the King Under the Mountain and Smaug?
8. Why does only the Black Arrow shot by Bard manage to kill Smaug while all other arrows are harmless?
9. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
10. What can be deduced about the dragon from the steam and smoke coming out from the Front Gate?
This section contains 1,723 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)