|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Dain's father?
2. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
(a) Bard ap Girion.
(b) Bard of Esgaroth.
(c) Bard the Bowman.
(d) Bowman the Bard.
3. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
(a) Three feet high.
(b) Five feet high.
(c) We are not told.
(d) Six feet high.
4. What had Fili's barrel been used to carry before he escaped inside it?
5. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
(a) A golden statue of Smaug.
(b) The shield and sword he carried in his last battle.
(c) The Arkenstone and the sword Orcrist.
(d) The crown that had been his grandfather's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most common building material used in Laketown?
2. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
3. How old is Roac the raven?
4. Which dwarves are killed in the battle or die because of wounds sustained during it?
5. What unexpected news does Bilbo give the elves and Lakemen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
2. What dreams or legends do the Lakemen have regarding the King Under the Mountain and Smaug?
3. Describe what the Master of Laketown is like in your own words.
4. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
5. What are the five armies involved in the Battle of the Five Armies?
6. Why does Bombur remain in the lower camp with the ponies and supplies in Chapter 11?
7. What can be deduced about the dragon from the steam and smoke coming out from the Front Gate?
8. Upon what does Bard the Bowman base his claim to a share of the dragon's treasure?
9. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
10. What is the cause of most of the casualties resulting from Smaug's attack on Esgaroth (Laketown)?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)