|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 16, who does Bilbo deal with and offer his share of the treasure to, along with the Arkenstone?
(a) Bard and the King of the Wood Elves.
(b) Bard and the Master.
(c) The Elvish High Council.
(d) Gandalf and Bard.
2. What did Smaug meet in his nightmare before he wakes up?
(a) Thieves stealing from his hoard.
(b) A brave warrior with a sword.
(c) A bigger, stronger dragon wanting to steal his hoard.
(d) An army of archers.
3. How does the Elvenking react to the sight of the Arkenstone?
(a) He is amazed by its beauty and questions Bilbo's right to give it to him.
(b) He is unimpressed by it.
(c) He is consumed by lust for the gem and is willing to renounce the rest of the treasure if he can have the Arkenstone.
(d) He rejects Bilbo's offer as treacherous and ignoble, preferring instead to fight fairly for a share of the treasure.
4. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
(a) He thinks he is too fat for the ropes and that he will get dizzy or trip on the path.
(b) He lost a bet and had to go on guard duty as a result.
(c) He is very fond of the ponies and doesn't want to leave them behind.
(d) He does not believe that Bilbo and the others have really found the secret door.
5. What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills wear that is their special technological secret?
(a) Knee-length hauberks of stainless steel.
(b) Flexible mail trousers or hose.
(c) Seven-league boots that help them cover long distances quickly.
(d) Helmets made of mithril.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bilbo manage to recognize Thorin after freeing him from the barrel?
2. Why do the people of Lake-town destroy the bridges as a defense against the onslaught of the dragon?
3. What advice does Roac give to Thorin about the Lakemen?
4. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
5. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bombur remain in the lower camp with the ponies and supplies in Chapter 11?
2. What dreams or legends do the Lakemen have regarding the King Under the Mountain and Smaug?
3. Describe what the Master of Laketown is like in your own words.
4. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
5. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
6. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
7. Why does the dwarves' imprisonment turn out to be a lucky accident?
8. Why does Bilbo give the Arkenstone to Bard the Bowman?
9. Why does Thorin refuse to share the treasure with Bard and his allies and treat them with hostility?
10. What is the dwarves' original plan or strategy?
This section contains 1,587 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)