|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
(a) A landslide.
(b) The Lonely Mountain.
(c) The Long Lake.
(d) The Iron Hills to the northeast of the lake.
2. What does the Master believe about Thorin and his company at first?
(a) That they are frauds.
(b) That Thorin will be killed by the dragon.
(c) That Thorin will be a worthy ally and trade partner.
(d) That Thorin is the true King Under the Mountain.
3. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
(a) None - the dragon has eaten them all.
4. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
(a) He trips over a necklace of pearls.
(b) A bat startles him.
(c) He is so surprised when he sees the Arkenstone that he drops the torch.
(d) He believes the dragon is coming back and wants to hide.
5. How does the Elvenking react to the sight of the Arkenstone?
(a) He is consumed by lust for the gem and is willing to renounce the rest of the treasure if he can have the Arkenstone.
(b) He rejects Bilbo's offer as treacherous and ignoble, preferring instead to fight fairly for a share of the treasure.
(c) He is unimpressed by it.
(d) He is amazed by its beauty and questions Bilbo's right to give it to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hill close to where the dwarves and Bilbo make their first camp approaching the Lonely Mountain?
2. Who is supposed to be on watch when Bilbo steals out of the stronghold to the elves and Lakemen?
3. Who finds the 'doorstep' of the secret door in Chapter 11?
4. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
5. What happened to Thorin's sword Orcrist?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)