|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bilbo unhappy during their stay in Laketown?
(a) He still wishes he was back in his hobbit-hole.
(b) He has a bad cold.
(c) He is suspicious about the possible motives of the Master.
(d) He does not like the food that the Lake-men offer them.
2. For whom was the armor Bilbo is rewarded with in Chapter 13 originally made?
(a) A young elf prince.
(b) The bride of the King Under the Mountain.
(c) Thorin when he was younger.
(d) Bullroarer Took as a reward for killing the goblin chieftain.
3. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
4. Who attacks first and starts the war over the dragon gold?
(a) The elves.
(b) The goblins and wargs.
(c) The dwarves.
(d) The Lakemen.
5. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
(a) They believe that the dragon is harmless and even friendly.
(b) They believe that the river will flow with gold once the King Under the Mountain returns.
(c) They believe that the dragon does not exist.
(d) They believe that Thorin is not the rightful King Under the Mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the other name for the Arkenstone?
2. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
3. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
4. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
5. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
2. What can be deduced about the dragon from the steam and smoke coming out from the Front Gate?
3. How is the treasure divided after the battle is won in Chapter 17?
4. What details are given in Chapter 11 as hints to an alert reader that the one chance of finding the keyhole is about to present itself?
5. How do Bilbo and the dwarves know that they have successfully found the secret entrance into the mountain?
6. What reconciles the forces of the men and elves, and the dwarves in Chapter 17?
7. What is the cause of most of the casualties resulting from Smaug's attack on Esgaroth (Laketown)?
8. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
9. Why does the dwarves' imprisonment turn out to be a lucky accident?
10. Upon what does Bard the Bowman base his claim to a share of the dragon's treasure?
This section contains 1,439 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)