|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Thorin learn that Bilbo was the one who gave the Arkenstone to Bard and the Elvenking?
(a) Bilbo confesses to giving it to them.
(b) Bard tells Thorin where he got the Arkenstone from.
(c) Thorin finds Bilbo's distinctive footprints leading out of the stronghold.
(d) A raven who saw Bilbo going to the camp tells him.
2. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
(a) They believe that Thorin is not the rightful King Under the Mountain.
(b) They believe that the dragon does not exist.
(c) They believe that the river will flow with gold once the King Under the Mountain returns.
(d) They believe that the dragon is harmless and even friendly.
3. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
(a) The Arkenstone and the sword Orcrist.
(b) A golden statue of Smaug.
(c) The shield and sword he carried in his last battle.
(d) The crown that had been his grandfather's.
4. What phase of the moon is showing when Bilbo realizes that Durin's Day has come and they can find the keyhole?
(a) A new moon.
(b) A half moon.
(c) A full moon.
(d) A waning crescent.
5. In Chapter 12, who volunteers to come some of the way down the tunnel with Bilbo?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thorin take as armor and weapons from the hoard of Smaug's treasure?
2. Why is Bard astonished when the thrush lands on his shoulder?
3. Which of the following does Thorin not threaten to do to Bilbo in Chapter 17?
4. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
5. Why is the King of the Wood Elves wiser than the men of Laketown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dreams or legends do the Lakemen have regarding the King Under the Mountain and Smaug?
2. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
3. What can be deduced about the dragon from the steam and smoke coming out from the Front Gate?
4. Describe what the Master of Laketown is like in your own words.
5. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
6. Why does Thorin refuse to share the treasure with Bard and his allies and treat them with hostility?
7. Why does Bilbo give the Arkenstone to Bard the Bowman?
8. What are the five armies involved in the Battle of the Five Armies?
9. What is the cause of most of the casualties resulting from Smaug's attack on Esgaroth (Laketown)?
10. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)