|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Dain's father?
2. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
(a) None - the dragon has eaten them all.
3. How do the dwarves manage to obtain three ponies in Chapter 15?
(a) Dain from the Iron Hills sends the ponies to help Thorin.
(b) Bilbo steals the ponies off the Lakemen using his magic ring.
(c) They find that three of the ponies escaped from the dragon and were wandering down the river.
(d) They capture and tame wild ponies that were living in the area.
4. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
(a) Using pickaxes to break through the stone.
(b) Throwing loose rocks at the cliff face.
(c) Beating on the stone and pushing at the cliff face.
(d) Reciting spells that can open locked doors.
5. Why is Bard astonished when the thrush lands on his shoulder?
(a) He can understand its speech.
(b) He believes the thrush is a spy of the dragon's sent to distract his aim.
(c) The thrush is the emblem on his family coat of arms.
(d) He thought all the thrushes in the area had been killed by the dragon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who killed Bolg, the goblin cheiftan?
2. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
3. Who carries the wooden casket holding the Arkenstone to the parley with Thorin?
4. What gift does Bard the Bowman give to the Elvenking?
5. In Chapter 16, who does Bilbo deal with and offer his share of the treasure to, along with the Arkenstone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bombur remain in the lower camp with the ponies and supplies in Chapter 11?
2. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
3. Why does Smaug laugh when Bilbo tells him that revenge is one of the motives of their quest?
4. What details are given in Chapter 11 as hints to an alert reader that the one chance of finding the keyhole is about to present itself?
5. Why does only the Black Arrow shot by Bard manage to kill Smaug while all other arrows are harmless?
6. Upon what does Bard the Bowman base his claim to a share of the dragon's treasure?
7. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
8. What is the dwarves' original plan or strategy?
9. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
10. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
This section contains 1,562 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)