|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bilbo manage to steal from Smaug in Chapter 12?
(a) A pocketful of gold coins.
(b) A necklace of rubies.
(c) A sharp sword.
(d) A golden cup.
2. For whom was the armor Bilbo is rewarded with in Chapter 13 originally made?
(a) Thorin when he was younger.
(b) Bullroarer Took as a reward for killing the goblin chieftain.
(c) A young elf prince.
(d) The bride of the King Under the Mountain.
3. What does Bilbo most want to happen while the dwarves are preparing for a siege by the elves and Lakemen?
(a) He wants the armies to go away and leave them alone.
(b) He wants a peaceful resolution to the situation - and enough food
(c) He wants to steal away with his share of the treasure and leave the dwarves to fight the Lakemen over the rest.
(d) He wants Gandalf to turn up and take him back to his hobbit hole again.
4. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
(a) The crown that had been his grandfather's.
(b) The shield and sword he carried in his last battle.
(c) A golden statue of Smaug.
(d) The Arkenstone and the sword Orcrist.
5. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
(a) That the dragon is getting ready to come out and eat them.
(b) That the dragon is alive.
(c) That the dragon has set himself on fire.
(d) That the dragon is watching them from the side of the mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks first and starts the war over the dragon gold?
2. What did Smaug meet in his nightmare before he wakes up?
3. In Chapter 16, who does Bilbo deal with and offer his share of the treasure to, along with the Arkenstone?
4. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
5. Which dwarves are killed in the battle or die because of wounds sustained during it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the Master of Laketown is like in your own words.
2. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
3. Why does Thorin refuse to share the treasure with Bard and his allies and treat them with hostility?
4. Why does the dwarves' imprisonment turn out to be a lucky accident?
5. What is the cause of most of the casualties resulting from Smaug's attack on Esgaroth (Laketown)?
6. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
7. Why does only the Black Arrow shot by Bard manage to kill Smaug while all other arrows are harmless?
8. What can be deduced about the dragon from the steam and smoke coming out from the Front Gate?
9. How is the treasure divided after the battle is won in Chapter 17?
10. How do Bilbo and the dwarves know that they have successfully found the secret entrance into the mountain?
This section contains 1,588 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)