|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What colors is Smaug?
(a) Red and gold.
(b) Red and green.
(c) Green and gold.
(d) Red and black.
2. What does Bilbo give to the Elvenking to pay for the food and wine he stole from him?
(a) A chest of gold.
(b) A necklace of silver and pearls.
(c) His sword Sting.
(d) A crown of silver set with diamonds.
3. What is the name of Dain's father?
4. Why is Bilbo unhappy during their stay in Laketown?
(a) He does not like the food that the Lake-men offer them.
(b) He still wishes he was back in his hobbit-hole.
(c) He is suspicious about the possible motives of the Master.
(d) He has a bad cold.
5. Why is the King of the Wood Elves wiser than the men of Laketown?
(a) He quickly realizes how the dwarves managed to escape from his dungeons.
(b) He knows a way to kill Smaug that the Lake-men do not.
(c) He believes in the old songs and tales that the Master of Laketown has forgotten about.
(d) He realizes that the dwarves will have to steal from Smaug rather than attempt to kill him, which is what the Lake-men believe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bird brings Bilbo and the dwarves the news of the dragon's death?
2. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
3. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
4. Who attacks first and starts the war over the dragon gold?
5. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Bilbo and the dwarves know that they have successfully found the secret entrance into the mountain?
2. Explain the meaning of the ambiguous or riddling answers Bilbo gives to Smaug to avoid revealing his name to the dragon (and thus giving the dragon power over him)?
3. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
4. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
5. What are the five armies involved in the Battle of the Five Armies?
6. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
7. Why does Smaug laugh when Bilbo tells him that revenge is one of the motives of their quest?
8. Why does the dwarves' imprisonment turn out to be a lucky accident?
9. Upon what does Bard the Bowman base his claim to a share of the dragon's treasure?
10. Describe what the Master of Laketown is like in your own words.
This section contains 1,532 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)