|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finds the 'doorstep' of the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Thorin, Bilbo and Balin.
(b) Bilbo, Fili and Kili.
(c) Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
(d) Nori, Dori and Ori.
2. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
(a) That the dragon is watching them from the side of the mountain.
(b) That the dragon is getting ready to come out and eat them.
(c) That the dragon has set himself on fire.
(d) That the dragon is alive.
3. Why does Smaug react with such great fury in Chapter 12?
(a) He smells the dwarves and realizes that they are coming to kill him.
(b) He is outraged that someone has dared to steal from him.
(c) He is hungry after his long sleep and his hunger infuriates him.
(d) He is extremely disturbed by his nightmare.
4. What is the name of Dain's father?
5. What had Fili's barrel been used to carry before he escaped inside it?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
2. How do the dwarves manage to obtain three ponies in Chapter 15?
3. What does Bilbo give to the Elvenking to pay for the food and wine he stole from him?
4. What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills wear that is their special technological secret?
5. What phase of the moon is showing when Bilbo realizes that Durin's Day has come and they can find the keyhole?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the Master of Laketown is like in your own words.
2. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
3. How is the treasure divided after the battle is won in Chapter 17?
4. Why does Thorin refuse to share the treasure with Bard and his allies and treat them with hostility?
5. Upon what does Bard the Bowman base his claim to a share of the dragon's treasure?
6. What is the cause of most of the casualties resulting from Smaug's attack on Esgaroth (Laketown)?
7. What details are given in Chapter 11 as hints to an alert reader that the one chance of finding the keyhole is about to present itself?
8. Why does the dwarves' imprisonment turn out to be a lucky accident?
9. Why does only the Black Arrow shot by Bard manage to kill Smaug while all other arrows are harmless?
10. Why does Bilbo give the Arkenstone to Bard the Bowman?
This section contains 1,730 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)