|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
(a) Bowman the Bard.
(b) Bard the Bowman.
(c) Bard ap Girion.
(d) Bard of Esgaroth.
2. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
(a) A reddish glow.
(b) Wisps of smoke.
(c) The air about him grows hotter.
(d) The rumbling sound of Smaug's breathing or snoring.
3. What did Smaug meet in his nightmare before he wakes up?
(a) An army of archers.
(b) Thieves stealing from his hoard.
(c) A bigger, stronger dragon wanting to steal his hoard.
(d) A brave warrior with a sword.
4. How can the dwarves and Bilbo reach the third camp outside the 'doorstep'?
(a) On horseback.
(b) Only by ropes - no other way is possible.
(c) Either by a narrow path along the edge of a precipice or by ropes.
(d) By floating along the river.
5. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
(a) They believe that the dragon does not exist.
(b) They believe that the dragon is harmless and even friendly.
(c) They believe that Thorin is not the rightful King Under the Mountain.
(d) They believe that the river will flow with gold once the King Under the Mountain returns.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do the dwarves and Bilbo stay in Laketown?
2. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
3. How old is Roac the raven?
4. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
5. Who is supposed to be on watch when Bilbo steals out of the stronghold to the elves and Lakemen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cause of most of the casualties resulting from Smaug's attack on Esgaroth (Laketown)?
2. How do Bilbo and the dwarves know that they have successfully found the secret entrance into the mountain?
3. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
4. Why does Thorin refuse to share the treasure with Bard and his allies and treat them with hostility?
5. Why does Bilbo give the Arkenstone to Bard the Bowman?
6. How is the treasure divided after the battle is won in Chapter 17?
7. What dreams or legends do the Lakemen have regarding the King Under the Mountain and Smaug?
8. Explain the meaning of the ambiguous or riddling answers Bilbo gives to Smaug to avoid revealing his name to the dragon (and thus giving the dragon power over him)?
9. Why does only the Black Arrow shot by Bard manage to kill Smaug while all other arrows are harmless?
10. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
This section contains 1,658 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)