|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Thorin's sword Orcrist?
(a) It had fallen off and become lost while the Eagles were rescuing the adventurers from the wargs and goblins.
(b) The King of the Wood Elves took it from Thorin when he was made prisoner.
(c) Nothing - Thorin uses it to enhance his kingly apperance when he presents himself to the Master of Laketown.
(d) It had become hopelessly rusty in the trip down the river.
2. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
3. How does the Elvenking react to the sight of the Arkenstone?
(a) He is consumed by lust for the gem and is willing to renounce the rest of the treasure if he can have the Arkenstone.
(b) He rejects Bilbo's offer as treacherous and ignoble, preferring instead to fight fairly for a share of the treasure.
(c) He is amazed by its beauty and questions Bilbo's right to give it to him.
(d) He is unimpressed by it.
4. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
(a) Bard of Esgaroth.
(b) Bard the Bowman.
(c) Bard ap Girion.
(d) Bowman the Bard.
5. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
(a) Dwalin and Balin.
(b) Bilbo and the Master.
(c) Bofur and Bombur.
(d) Fili and Kili.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wound has Gandalf sustained during the Battle of the Five Armies?
2. How does Bilbo know that the gem he stumbles across is the Arkenstone?
3. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
4. How can the dwarves and Bilbo reach the third camp outside the 'doorstep'?
5. Why does Smaug react with such great fury in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the five armies involved in the Battle of the Five Armies?
2. Why does only the Black Arrow shot by Bard manage to kill Smaug while all other arrows are harmless?
3. What is the dwarves' original plan or strategy?
4. What dreams or legends do the Lakemen have regarding the King Under the Mountain and Smaug?
5. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
6. How do Bilbo and the dwarves know that they have successfully found the secret entrance into the mountain?
7. What reconciles the forces of the men and elves, and the dwarves in Chapter 17?
8. Describe what the Master of Laketown is like in your own words.
9. How is the treasure divided after the battle is won in Chapter 17?
10. Why does the dwarves' imprisonment turn out to be a lucky accident?
This section contains 1,618 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)