|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills wear that is their special technological secret?
(a) Flexible mail trousers or hose.
(b) Knee-length hauberks of stainless steel.
(c) Helmets made of mithril.
(d) Seven-league boots that help them cover long distances quickly.
2. Who is supposed to be on watch when Bilbo steals out of the stronghold to the elves and Lakemen?
3. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
(a) Throwing loose rocks at the cliff face.
(b) Using pickaxes to break through the stone.
(c) Beating on the stone and pushing at the cliff face.
(d) Reciting spells that can open locked doors.
4. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
(a) The Iron Hills to the northeast of the lake.
(b) A landslide.
(c) The Lonely Mountain.
(d) The Long Lake.
5. What is the other name for the Arkenstone?
(a) The Heart of the Dragon.
(b) The Heart of Darkness.
(c) The Mountain of Light.
(d) The Heart of the Mountain.
6. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
(a) They believe that the dragon is harmless and even friendly.
(b) They believe that Thorin is not the rightful King Under the Mountain.
(c) They believe that the dragon does not exist.
(d) They believe that the river will flow with gold once the King Under the Mountain returns.
7. What type of bird brings Bilbo and the dwarves the news of the dragon's death?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A thrush.
(c) A raven.
(d) A crow.
8. How long do the dwarves and Bilbo stay in Laketown?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) We are not told.
(d) A fortnight.
9. Which dwarf is not present on the Doorstep when the door is finally opened?
10. Why does Smaug react with such great fury in Chapter 12?
(a) He smells the dwarves and realizes that they are coming to kill him.
(b) He is outraged that someone has dared to steal from him.
(c) He is extremely disturbed by his nightmare.
(d) He is hungry after his long sleep and his hunger infuriates him.
11. What advice does Roac give to Thorin about the Lakemen?
(a) Not to trust any of them, as they want to steal the gold.
(b) To attack first before the elf army arrives.
(c) To trust all of them, especially the Master.
(d) To trust Bard, and to share the treasure with them.
12. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
(c) None - the dragon has eaten them all.
13. What gift does Bard the Bowman give to the Elvenking?
(a) The rubies that had belonged to Bard's ancestors.
(b) The emeralds that had belonged to King Girion of Dale.
(c) All the crowns that could be found in Smaug's treasure.
(d) A chest full of diamonds.
14. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
(a) The arrows either bounce off his scales and diamond encrusted underbelly, or he incinerates them with his fiery breath.
(b) Smag has a magic of his own that makes him invulnerable.
(c) The wind from Smaug's wings makes all the arrows miss their targets.
(d) Smaug flies so high and fast that no arrows can reach him.
15. Who attacks first and starts the war over the dragon gold?
(a) The goblins and wargs.
(b) The Lakemen.
(c) The elves.
(d) The dwarves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Thorin not threaten to do to Bilbo in Chapter 17?
2. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
3. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
4. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
5. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)