|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Roac the raven?
(b) We are not told.
2. What is the other name for the Arkenstone?
(a) The Heart of the Mountain.
(b) The Heart of the Dragon.
(c) The Heart of Darkness.
(d) The Mountain of Light.
3. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
(a) Bard ap Girion.
(b) Bard the Bowman.
(c) Bard of Esgaroth.
(d) Bowman the Bard.
4. Who attacks first and starts the war over the dragon gold?
(a) The dwarves.
(b) The elves.
(c) The Lakemen.
(d) The goblins and wargs.
5. What had Fili's barrel been used to carry before he escaped inside it?
6. How do the dwarves manage to obtain three ponies in Chapter 15?
(a) They capture and tame wild ponies that were living in the area.
(b) Dain from the Iron Hills sends the ponies to help Thorin.
(c) They find that three of the ponies escaped from the dragon and were wandering down the river.
(d) Bilbo steals the ponies off the Lakemen using his magic ring.
7. In Chapter 16, who does Bilbo deal with and offer his share of the treasure to, along with the Arkenstone?
(a) The Elvish High Council.
(b) Bard and the King of the Wood Elves.
(c) Gandalf and Bard.
(d) Bard and the Master.
8. Which of the following does Bard not use as a reason why the dwarves should share the treasure with the people of Laketown?
(a) Bard was the one who actually killed the dragon.
(b) The people of Laketown helped the dwarves when the dwarves were in need, but are now in need themselves.
(c) Some of the treasure came from Dale and belonged to Bard's ancestors.
(d) The dragon had a lot of treasure, so there is plenty for all to share.
9. How does Bilbo manage to recognize Thorin after freeing him from the barrel?
(a) By his red cloak, black boots and dark green tunic
(b) By his blue hood with the silver tassel and by his golden chain.
(c) By a distinctive scar left from his encounter with Smaug in the distant past.
(d) By his long nose and bristling beard.
10. What unexpected news does Bilbo give the elves and Lakemen?
(a) The goblins are on their way to take the treasure.
(b) Dain from the Iron Hills is coming to Thorin's aid.
(c) Thorin is weakening and is prepared to share.
(d) Smaug had a mate who is still alive inside the mountain.
11. Why does Smaug react with such great fury in Chapter 12?
(a) He is hungry after his long sleep and his hunger infuriates him.
(b) He is outraged that someone has dared to steal from him.
(c) He smells the dwarves and realizes that they are coming to kill him.
(d) He is extremely disturbed by his nightmare.
12. What advice does Roac give to Thorin about the Lakemen?
(a) To attack first before the elf army arrives.
(b) Not to trust any of them, as they want to steal the gold.
(c) To trust all of them, especially the Master.
(d) To trust Bard, and to share the treasure with them.
13. How does Thorin learn that Bilbo was the one who gave the Arkenstone to Bard and the Elvenking?
(a) Bilbo confesses to giving it to them.
(b) A raven who saw Bilbo going to the camp tells him.
(c) Bard tells Thorin where he got the Arkenstone from.
(d) Thorin finds Bilbo's distinctive footprints leading out of the stronghold.
14. Who carries the wooden casket holding the Arkenstone to the parley with Thorin?
(a) Bard the Bowman.
(b) The Master of Laketown.
(d) An unnamed wood-elf.
15. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
(a) Smag has a magic of his own that makes him invulnerable.
(b) Smaug flies so high and fast that no arrows can reach him.
(c) The wind from Smaug's wings makes all the arrows miss their targets.
(d) The arrows either bounce off his scales and diamond encrusted underbelly, or he incinerates them with his fiery breath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bird brings Bilbo and the dwarves the news of the dragon's death?
2. What colors is Smaug?
3. What is the name of Dain's father?
4. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
5. What is the most common building material used in Laketown?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)