|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most common building material used in Laketown?
(b) Rammed earth.
2. In Chapter 12, who volunteers to come some of the way down the tunnel with Bilbo?
3. What unexpected news does Bilbo give the elves and Lakemen?
(a) Thorin is weakening and is prepared to share.
(b) Smaug had a mate who is still alive inside the mountain.
(c) Dain from the Iron Hills is coming to Thorin's aid.
(d) The goblins are on their way to take the treasure.
4. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
(a) The Lake-men.
(c) The Wood Elves.
(d) The dwarves, using an ancient and secret recipe.
5. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
6. What phase of the moon is showing when Bilbo realizes that Durin's Day has come and they can find the keyhole?
(a) A waning crescent.
(b) A new moon.
(c) A half moon.
(d) A full moon.
7. How does the Elvenking react to the sight of the Arkenstone?
(a) He rejects Bilbo's offer as treacherous and ignoble, preferring instead to fight fairly for a share of the treasure.
(b) He is consumed by lust for the gem and is willing to renounce the rest of the treasure if he can have the Arkenstone.
(c) He is unimpressed by it.
(d) He is amazed by its beauty and questions Bilbo's right to give it to him.
8. Which dwarf is not present on the Doorstep when the door is finally opened?
9. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
(a) None - the dragon has eaten them all.
10. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
(a) The Lonely Mountain.
(b) A landslide.
(c) The Long Lake.
(d) The Iron Hills to the northeast of the lake.
11. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
(a) Bowman the Bard.
(b) Bard of Esgaroth.
(c) Bard the Bowman.
(d) Bard ap Girion.
12. Why is the King of the Wood Elves wiser than the men of Laketown?
(a) He realizes that the dwarves will have to steal from Smaug rather than attempt to kill him, which is what the Lake-men believe.
(b) He knows a way to kill Smaug that the Lake-men do not.
(c) He quickly realizes how the dwarves managed to escape from his dungeons.
(d) He believes in the old songs and tales that the Master of Laketown has forgotten about.
13. What animals or creatures can be found near the doorstep?
(a) Thrushes and giant snails.
(b) Snails and scorpions.
(c) Thrushes and ravens.
(d) Snakes, spiders and crows.
14. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
(a) His excellent memory and people skills.
(b) His economic expertise.
(c) His love of old songs.
(d) His knowledge of the Elvish languages.
15. What colors is Smaug?
(a) Green and gold.
(b) Red and gold.
(c) Red and green.
(d) Red and black.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bilbo unhappy during their stay in Laketown?
2. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
3. What does Thorin take as armor and weapons from the hoard of Smaug's treasure?
4. For whom was the armor Bilbo is rewarded with in Chapter 13 originally made?
5. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)