|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bilbo unhappy during their stay in Laketown?
(a) He is suspicious about the possible motives of the Master.
(b) He still wishes he was back in his hobbit-hole.
(c) He has a bad cold.
(d) He does not like the food that the Lake-men offer them.
2. Which of the following does Bard not use as a reason why the dwarves should share the treasure with the people of Laketown?
(a) Bard was the one who actually killed the dragon.
(b) The dragon had a lot of treasure, so there is plenty for all to share.
(c) The people of Laketown helped the dwarves when the dwarves were in need, but are now in need themselves.
(d) Some of the treasure came from Dale and belonged to Bard's ancestors.
3. How does Thorin learn that Bilbo was the one who gave the Arkenstone to Bard and the Elvenking?
(a) A raven who saw Bilbo going to the camp tells him.
(b) Bard tells Thorin where he got the Arkenstone from.
(c) Bilbo confesses to giving it to them.
(d) Thorin finds Bilbo's distinctive footprints leading out of the stronghold.
4. How old is Roac the raven?
(a) We are not told.
5. How does Bilbo manage to recognize Thorin after freeing him from the barrel?
(a) By a distinctive scar left from his encounter with Smaug in the distant past.
(b) By his blue hood with the silver tassel and by his golden chain.
(c) By his long nose and bristling beard.
(d) By his red cloak, black boots and dark green tunic
6. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
7. What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills wear that is their special technological secret?
(a) Helmets made of mithril.
(b) Seven-league boots that help them cover long distances quickly.
(c) Flexible mail trousers or hose.
(d) Knee-length hauberks of stainless steel.
8. Who carries the wooden casket holding the Arkenstone to the parley with Thorin?
(b) An unnamed wood-elf.
(c) The Master of Laketown.
(d) Bard the Bowman.
9. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
(a) His love of old songs.
(b) His knowledge of the Elvish languages.
(c) His excellent memory and people skills.
(d) His economic expertise.
10. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
(a) He is so surprised when he sees the Arkenstone that he drops the torch.
(b) He trips over a necklace of pearls.
(c) A bat startles him.
(d) He believes the dragon is coming back and wants to hide.
11. How does Bilbo know that the gem he stumbles across is the Arkenstone?
(a) He hears the ghost of a long-dead dwarf whisper its name to him as he picks it up.
(b) It is written in letters of gold across one of the facets of the stone.
(c) Bilbo recognizes it from Thorin's description.
(d) He does not know it is the Arkenstone at all and fails to recognize it.
12. What colors is Smaug?
(a) Green and gold.
(b) Red and gold.
(c) Red and green.
(d) Red and black.
13. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
(a) The Arkenstone and the sword Orcrist.
(b) The shield and sword he carried in his last battle.
(c) The crown that had been his grandfather's.
(d) A golden statue of Smaug.
14. Who finds the 'doorstep' of the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Nori, Dori and Ori.
(b) Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
(c) Thorin, Bilbo and Balin.
(d) Bilbo, Fili and Kili.
15. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
(a) He lost a bet and had to go on guard duty as a result.
(b) He does not believe that Bilbo and the others have really found the secret door.
(c) He is very fond of the ponies and doesn't want to leave them behind.
(d) He thinks he is too fat for the ropes and that he will get dizzy or trip on the path.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bard astonished when the thrush lands on his shoulder?
2. Which of the following does Thorin not threaten to do to Bilbo in Chapter 17?
3. What is the most common building material used in Laketown?
4. What animals or creatures can be found near the doorstep?
5. In Chapter 14, qho does Bard ask for help in making sure that the refugees from Laketown have food and shelter to help them through the oncoming winter?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)