|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can Bard understand the speech of the thrush?
(a) He has studied the language of birds and is used to it.
(b) His ancestors came from Dale, where the people had the power of understanding the speech of birds.
(c) It was a special, magical thrush that could make any human that spoke to it understand.
(d) The thrush spoke Bard's native language.
2. In Chapter 16, who does Bilbo deal with and offer his share of the treasure to, along with the Arkenstone?
(a) Bard and the King of the Wood Elves.
(b) Bard and the Master.
(c) Gandalf and Bard.
(d) The Elvish High Council.
3. For whom was the armor Bilbo is rewarded with in Chapter 13 originally made?
(a) The bride of the King Under the Mountain.
(b) A young elf prince.
(c) Thorin when he was younger.
(d) Bullroarer Took as a reward for killing the goblin chieftain.
4. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
(a) He lost a bet and had to go on guard duty as a result.
(b) He thinks he is too fat for the ropes and that he will get dizzy or trip on the path.
(c) He is very fond of the ponies and doesn't want to leave them behind.
(d) He does not believe that Bilbo and the others have really found the secret door.
5. What gift does Bard the Bowman give to the Elvenking?
(a) The emeralds that had belonged to King Girion of Dale.
(b) All the crowns that could be found in Smaug's treasure.
(c) The rubies that had belonged to Bard's ancestors.
(d) A chest full of diamonds.
6. What wound has Gandalf sustained during the Battle of the Five Armies?
(a) An undefined wound in the arm that requires him to wear a sling.
(b) A broken arm from falling off a cliff.
(c) Loss of half a foot when a goblin hacked it off with an axe.
(d) A bad cut to the head that required stitching.
7. How does Bilbo know that the gem he stumbles across is the Arkenstone?
(a) He does not know it is the Arkenstone at all and fails to recognize it.
(b) Bilbo recognizes it from Thorin's description.
(c) It is written in letters of gold across one of the facets of the stone.
(d) He hears the ghost of a long-dead dwarf whisper its name to him as he picks it up.
8. Who carries the wooden casket holding the Arkenstone to the parley with Thorin?
(a) An unnamed wood-elf.
(c) The Master of Laketown.
(d) Bard the Bowman.
9. Who attacks first and starts the war over the dragon gold?
(a) The goblins and wargs.
(b) The elves.
(c) The dwarves.
(d) The Lakemen.
10. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Go back to Laketown and ask for more supplies and weapons.
(b) Talk to the thrushes and see if they know the secret of opening the door.
(c) Go into the mountain through the Front Gate using his magic ring.
(d) Try to capture one of the thrushes, crows or ravens and use its feathers as a disguise to sneak into the mountain through the Front Gate.
11. What does Bilbo manage to steal from Smaug in Chapter 12?
(a) A necklace of rubies.
(b) A pocketful of gold coins.
(c) A sharp sword.
(d) A golden cup.
12. What colors is Smaug?
(a) Red and black.
(b) Red and gold.
(c) Green and gold.
(d) Red and green.
13. What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills wear that is their special technological secret?
(a) Knee-length hauberks of stainless steel.
(b) Flexible mail trousers or hose.
(c) Helmets made of mithril.
(d) Seven-league boots that help them cover long distances quickly.
14. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
(a) Bard of Esgaroth.
(b) Bard ap Girion.
(c) Bowman the Bard.
(d) Bard the Bowman.
15. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
(a) The rumbling sound of Smaug's breathing or snoring.
(b) A reddish glow.
(c) Wisps of smoke.
(d) The air about him grows hotter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Roac give to Thorin about the Lakemen?
2. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
3. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
4. What animals or creatures can be found near the doorstep?
5. What does the Master believe about Thorin and his company at first?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)