|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Master believe about Thorin and his company at first?
(a) That Thorin will be killed by the dragon.
(b) That Thorin will be a worthy ally and trade partner.
(c) That they are frauds.
(d) That Thorin is the true King Under the Mountain.
2. Who killed Bolg, the goblin cheiftan?
(a) Beorn in bear's shape.
(b) Gandalf, who called down lightning.
(c) Bard the Bowman.
(d) Thorin, who got his death-wound fighting single-handed against Bolg.
3. Which dwarves are killed in the battle or die because of wounds sustained during it?
(a) Thorin, Fili and Kili.
(b) Dori, Nori and Ori.
(c) Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
(d) Thorin, Balin and Dwalin.
4. What does Bilbo manage to steal from Smaug in Chapter 12?
(a) A golden cup.
(b) A necklace of rubies.
(c) A pocketful of gold coins.
(d) A sharp sword.
5. How does Bilbo know that the gem he stumbles across is the Arkenstone?
(a) Bilbo recognizes it from Thorin's description.
(b) It is written in letters of gold across one of the facets of the stone.
(c) He does not know it is the Arkenstone at all and fails to recognize it.
(d) He hears the ghost of a long-dead dwarf whisper its name to him as he picks it up.
6. What gift does Bard the Bowman give to the Elvenking?
(a) All the crowns that could be found in Smaug's treasure.
(b) The emeralds that had belonged to King Girion of Dale.
(c) A chest full of diamonds.
(d) The rubies that had belonged to Bard's ancestors.
7. For whom was the armor Bilbo is rewarded with in Chapter 13 originally made?
(a) A young elf prince.
(b) The bride of the King Under the Mountain.
(c) Thorin when he was younger.
(d) Bullroarer Took as a reward for killing the goblin chieftain.
8. How do the dwarves manage to obtain three ponies in Chapter 15?
(a) Bilbo steals the ponies off the Lakemen using his magic ring.
(b) They find that three of the ponies escaped from the dragon and were wandering down the river.
(c) Dain from the Iron Hills sends the ponies to help Thorin.
(d) They capture and tame wild ponies that were living in the area.
9. What had Fili's barrel been used to carry before he escaped inside it?
10. What animals or creatures can be found near the doorstep?
(a) Thrushes and ravens.
(b) Snails and scorpions.
(c) Thrushes and giant snails.
(d) Snakes, spiders and crows.
11. What is the name of the hill close to where the dwarves and Bilbo make their first camp approaching the Lonely Mountain?
12. In Chapter 16, who does Bilbo deal with and offer his share of the treasure to, along with the Arkenstone?
(a) Gandalf and Bard.
(b) The Elvish High Council.
(c) Bard and the Master.
(d) Bard and the King of the Wood Elves.
13. In Chapter 12, who volunteers to come some of the way down the tunnel with Bilbo?
14. How does Bilbo manage to recognize Thorin after freeing him from the barrel?
(a) By a distinctive scar left from his encounter with Smaug in the distant past.
(b) By his blue hood with the silver tassel and by his golden chain.
(c) By his red cloak, black boots and dark green tunic
(d) By his long nose and bristling beard.
15. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
(a) Bofur and Bombur.
(b) Fili and Kili.
(c) Dwalin and Balin.
(d) Bilbo and the Master.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which dwarf is not present on the Doorstep when the door is finally opened?
2. What type of bird brings Bilbo and the dwarves the news of the dragon's death?
3. Who carries the wooden casket holding the Arkenstone to the parley with Thorin?
4. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
5. What does Bilbo most want to happen while the dwarves are preparing for a siege by the elves and Lakemen?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)