|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phase of the moon is showing when Bilbo realizes that Durin's Day has come and they can find the keyhole?
(a) A half moon.
(b) A full moon.
(c) A new moon.
(d) A waning crescent.
2. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
(a) Wisps of smoke.
(b) A reddish glow.
(c) The air about him grows hotter.
(d) The rumbling sound of Smaug's breathing or snoring.
3. In Chapter 14, qho does Bard ask for help in making sure that the refugees from Laketown have food and shelter to help them through the oncoming winter?
(a) The King of the Wood Elves.
(b) The goblins of the Misty Mountains.
(c) Beorn and the woodsmen who hunt the Wargs.
(d) The dwarves of the Iron Hills.
4. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
(a) None - the dragon has eaten them all.
5. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
6. Who attacks first and starts the war over the dragon gold?
(a) The elves.
(b) The goblins and wargs.
(c) The dwarves.
(d) The Lakemen.
7. Why is Bard astonished when the thrush lands on his shoulder?
(a) The thrush is the emblem on his family coat of arms.
(b) He believes the thrush is a spy of the dragon's sent to distract his aim.
(c) He thought all the thrushes in the area had been killed by the dragon.
(d) He can understand its speech.
8. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
(a) Five feet high.
(b) Six feet high.
(c) We are not told.
(d) Three feet high.
9. What is the most common building material used in Laketown?
(d) Rammed earth.
10. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
(a) The Lake-men.
(b) The dwarves, using an ancient and secret recipe.
(d) The Wood Elves.
11. Why can Bard understand the speech of the thrush?
(a) He has studied the language of birds and is used to it.
(b) His ancestors came from Dale, where the people had the power of understanding the speech of birds.
(c) The thrush spoke Bard's native language.
(d) It was a special, magical thrush that could make any human that spoke to it understand.
12. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
(a) That the dragon is watching them from the side of the mountain.
(b) That the dragon is getting ready to come out and eat them.
(c) That the dragon has set himself on fire.
(d) That the dragon is alive.
13. Who is supposed to be on watch when Bilbo steals out of the stronghold to the elves and Lakemen?
14. What is the name of Dain's father?
15. What colors is Smaug?
(a) Red and green.
(b) Red and gold.
(c) Green and gold.
(d) Red and black.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the people of Lake-town destroy the bridges as a defense against the onslaught of the dragon?
2. What does Bilbo manage to steal from Smaug in Chapter 12?
3. What does Bilbo give to the Elvenking to pay for the food and wine he stole from him?
4. What type of bird brings Bilbo and the dwarves the news of the dragon's death?
5. Which of the following does Thorin not threaten to do to Bilbo in Chapter 17?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)