|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Roac the raven?
(a) We are not told.
2. Why is Bilbo unhappy during their stay in Laketown?
(a) He has a bad cold.
(b) He still wishes he was back in his hobbit-hole.
(c) He does not like the food that the Lake-men offer them.
(d) He is suspicious about the possible motives of the Master.
3. How long do the dwarves and Bilbo stay in Laketown?
(a) We are not told.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) A fortnight.
(d) Two days.
4. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
(a) The wind from Smaug's wings makes all the arrows miss their targets.
(b) The arrows either bounce off his scales and diamond encrusted underbelly, or he incinerates them with his fiery breath.
(c) Smaug flies so high and fast that no arrows can reach him.
(d) Smag has a magic of his own that makes him invulnerable.
5. What does Thorin take as armor and weapons from the hoard of Smaug's treasure?
(a) Spears with the heads inlaid with gold, an emerald-studded shield and a crown.
(b) Silver armour, a belt set with rubies and a black mace set with diamonds.
(c) A coat of gold-plated rings, an axe with a silver haft and a belt encrusted with scarlet stones.
(d) A coat of silver mail, a helmet encrusted with diamonds and an ivory bow.
6. Who carries the wooden casket holding the Arkenstone to the parley with Thorin?
(b) The Master of Laketown.
(c) Bard the Bowman.
(d) An unnamed wood-elf.
7. What does the Master believe about Thorin and his company at first?
(a) That they are frauds.
(b) That Thorin will be killed by the dragon.
(c) That Thorin is the true King Under the Mountain.
(d) That Thorin will be a worthy ally and trade partner.
8. What did Smaug meet in his nightmare before he wakes up?
(a) An army of archers.
(b) A brave warrior with a sword.
(c) A bigger, stronger dragon wanting to steal his hoard.
(d) Thieves stealing from his hoard.
9. Why can Bard understand the speech of the thrush?
(a) The thrush spoke Bard's native language.
(b) He has studied the language of birds and is used to it.
(c) It was a special, magical thrush that could make any human that spoke to it understand.
(d) His ancestors came from Dale, where the people had the power of understanding the speech of birds.
10. Which of the following does Bard not use as a reason why the dwarves should share the treasure with the people of Laketown?
(a) The people of Laketown helped the dwarves when the dwarves were in need, but are now in need themselves.
(b) Bard was the one who actually killed the dragon.
(c) Some of the treasure came from Dale and belonged to Bard's ancestors.
(d) The dragon had a lot of treasure, so there is plenty for all to share.
11. In Chapter 16, who does Bilbo deal with and offer his share of the treasure to, along with the Arkenstone?
(a) The Elvish High Council.
(b) Gandalf and Bard.
(c) Bard and the King of the Wood Elves.
(d) Bard and the Master.
12. How does Thorin learn that Bilbo was the one who gave the Arkenstone to Bard and the Elvenking?
(a) Bard tells Thorin where he got the Arkenstone from.
(b) A raven who saw Bilbo going to the camp tells him.
(c) Thorin finds Bilbo's distinctive footprints leading out of the stronghold.
(d) Bilbo confesses to giving it to them.
13. What unexpected news does Bilbo give the elves and Lakemen?
(a) Smaug had a mate who is still alive inside the mountain.
(b) Thorin is weakening and is prepared to share.
(c) Dain from the Iron Hills is coming to Thorin's aid.
(d) The goblins are on their way to take the treasure.
14. Who is supposed to be on watch when Bilbo steals out of the stronghold to the elves and Lakemen?
15. What colors is Smaug?
(a) Red and black.
(b) Green and gold.
(c) Red and gold.
(d) Red and green.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which dwarves are killed in the battle or die because of wounds sustained during it?
2. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
3. What does Bilbo most want to happen while the dwarves are preparing for a siege by the elves and Lakemen?
4. What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills wear that is their special technological secret?
5. Who finds the 'doorstep' of the secret door in Chapter 11?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)