|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which dwarves are killed in the battle or die because of wounds sustained during it?
(a) Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
(b) Dori, Nori and Ori.
(c) Thorin, Fili and Kili.
(d) Thorin, Balin and Dwalin.
2. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
(a) He is very fond of the ponies and doesn't want to leave them behind.
(b) He thinks he is too fat for the ropes and that he will get dizzy or trip on the path.
(c) He lost a bet and had to go on guard duty as a result.
(d) He does not believe that Bilbo and the others have really found the secret door.
3. What unexpected news does Bilbo give the elves and Lakemen?
(a) Dain from the Iron Hills is coming to Thorin's aid.
(b) Smaug had a mate who is still alive inside the mountain.
(c) Thorin is weakening and is prepared to share.
(d) The goblins are on their way to take the treasure.
4. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
(a) He trips over a necklace of pearls.
(b) He believes the dragon is coming back and wants to hide.
(c) He is so surprised when he sees the Arkenstone that he drops the torch.
(d) A bat startles him.
5. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
(a) The rumbling sound of Smaug's breathing or snoring.
(b) The air about him grows hotter.
(c) A reddish glow.
(d) Wisps of smoke.
6. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
(a) They believe that the dragon does not exist.
(b) They believe that the dragon is harmless and even friendly.
(c) They believe that the river will flow with gold once the King Under the Mountain returns.
(d) They believe that Thorin is not the rightful King Under the Mountain.
7. What animals or creatures can be found near the doorstep?
(a) Thrushes and ravens.
(b) Snakes, spiders and crows.
(c) Thrushes and giant snails.
(d) Snails and scorpions.
8. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
(a) The Lake-men.
(c) The dwarves, using an ancient and secret recipe.
(d) The Wood Elves.
9. Why do the people of Lake-town destroy the bridges as a defense against the onslaught of the dragon?
(a) The bridges are the only part of the town that is vulnerable to dragon-fire.
(b) The Master ordered them to do so in the hopes that his rival, Bard, would be killed.
(c) They are attempting to fool the dragon into thinking they have left the town.
(d) The dragon can then only attack them from the air (which makes him vulnerable to arrows) or have his fire quenched by the cold water of the lake.
10. For whom was the armor Bilbo is rewarded with in Chapter 13 originally made?
(a) The bride of the King Under the Mountain.
(b) Bullroarer Took as a reward for killing the goblin chieftain.
(c) A young elf prince.
(d) Thorin when he was younger.
11. What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills wear that is their special technological secret?
(a) Knee-length hauberks of stainless steel.
(b) Seven-league boots that help them cover long distances quickly.
(c) Helmets made of mithril.
(d) Flexible mail trousers or hose.
12. How does Bilbo know that the gem he stumbles across is the Arkenstone?
(a) He does not know it is the Arkenstone at all and fails to recognize it.
(b) He hears the ghost of a long-dead dwarf whisper its name to him as he picks it up.
(c) It is written in letters of gold across one of the facets of the stone.
(d) Bilbo recognizes it from Thorin's description.
13. What does the Master believe about Thorin and his company at first?
(a) That they are frauds.
(b) That Thorin will be killed by the dragon.
(c) That Thorin will be a worthy ally and trade partner.
(d) That Thorin is the true King Under the Mountain.
14. What does Bilbo most want to happen while the dwarves are preparing for a siege by the elves and Lakemen?
(a) He wants the armies to go away and leave them alone.
(b) He wants a peaceful resolution to the situation - and enough food
(c) He wants Gandalf to turn up and take him back to his hobbit hole again.
(d) He wants to steal away with his share of the treasure and leave the dwarves to fight the Lakemen over the rest.
15. How can the dwarves and Bilbo reach the third camp outside the 'doorstep'?
(a) By floating along the river.
(b) Only by ropes - no other way is possible.
(c) On horseback.
(d) Either by a narrow path along the edge of a precipice or by ropes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bilbo unhappy during their stay in Laketown?
2. Which of the following does Thorin not threaten to do to Bilbo in Chapter 17?
3. How does Bilbo manage to recognize Thorin after freeing him from the barrel?
4. What did Smaug meet in his nightmare before he wakes up?
5. How old is Roac the raven?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)