|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which dwarves are killed in the battle or die because of wounds sustained during it?
(a) Dori, Nori and Ori.
(b) Thorin, Fili and Kili.
(c) Thorin, Balin and Dwalin.
(d) Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
2. What had Fili's barrel been used to carry before he escaped inside it?
3. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
(a) Smag has a magic of his own that makes him invulnerable.
(b) The wind from Smaug's wings makes all the arrows miss their targets.
(c) The arrows either bounce off his scales and diamond encrusted underbelly, or he incinerates them with his fiery breath.
(d) Smaug flies so high and fast that no arrows can reach him.
4. Who is supposed to be on watch when Bilbo steals out of the stronghold to the elves and Lakemen?
5. Why does Smaug react with such great fury in Chapter 12?
(a) He smells the dwarves and realizes that they are coming to kill him.
(b) He is extremely disturbed by his nightmare.
(c) He is hungry after his long sleep and his hunger infuriates him.
(d) He is outraged that someone has dared to steal from him.
6. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
7. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
(a) Bowman the Bard.
(b) Bard of Esgaroth.
(c) Bard the Bowman.
(d) Bard ap Girion.
8. How does Bilbo manage to recognize Thorin after freeing him from the barrel?
(a) By a distinctive scar left from his encounter with Smaug in the distant past.
(b) By his long nose and bristling beard.
(c) By his red cloak, black boots and dark green tunic
(d) By his blue hood with the silver tassel and by his golden chain.
9. What happened to Thorin's sword Orcrist?
(a) It had fallen off and become lost while the Eagles were rescuing the adventurers from the wargs and goblins.
(b) The King of the Wood Elves took it from Thorin when he was made prisoner.
(c) It had become hopelessly rusty in the trip down the river.
(d) Nothing - Thorin uses it to enhance his kingly apperance when he presents himself to the Master of Laketown.
10. How long do the dwarves and Bilbo stay in Laketown?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) Two days.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) We are not told.
11. What is the name of the hill close to where the dwarves and Bilbo make their first camp approaching the Lonely Mountain?
12. Who finds the 'doorstep' of the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
(b) Bilbo, Fili and Kili.
(c) Nori, Dori and Ori.
(d) Thorin, Bilbo and Balin.
13. In Chapter 14, qho does Bard ask for help in making sure that the refugees from Laketown have food and shelter to help them through the oncoming winter?
(a) The goblins of the Misty Mountains.
(b) The dwarves of the Iron Hills.
(c) The King of the Wood Elves.
(d) Beorn and the woodsmen who hunt the Wargs.
14. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
(a) A bat startles him.
(b) He trips over a necklace of pearls.
(c) He believes the dragon is coming back and wants to hide.
(d) He is so surprised when he sees the Arkenstone that he drops the torch.
15. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
(a) Five feet high.
(b) We are not told.
(c) Six feet high.
(d) Three feet high.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
2. What is the other name for the Arkenstone?
3. What does the Master believe about Thorin and his company at first?
4. How does Thorin learn that Bilbo was the one who gave the Arkenstone to Bard and the Elvenking?
5. What animals or creatures can be found near the doorstep?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)