|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
(a) The Iron Hills to the northeast of the lake.
(b) The Lonely Mountain.
(c) A landslide.
(d) The Long Lake.
2. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
(a) Dwalin and Balin.
(b) Bofur and Bombur.
(c) Fili and Kili.
(d) Bilbo and the Master.
3. How do the dwarves manage to obtain three ponies in Chapter 15?
(a) Dain from the Iron Hills sends the ponies to help Thorin.
(b) They capture and tame wild ponies that were living in the area.
(c) Bilbo steals the ponies off the Lakemen using his magic ring.
(d) They find that three of the ponies escaped from the dragon and were wandering down the river.
4. Who attacks first and starts the war over the dragon gold?
(a) The dwarves.
(b) The Lakemen.
(c) The elves.
(d) The goblins and wargs.
5. Why is Bard astonished when the thrush lands on his shoulder?
(a) The thrush is the emblem on his family coat of arms.
(b) He thought all the thrushes in the area had been killed by the dragon.
(c) He can understand its speech.
(d) He believes the thrush is a spy of the dragon's sent to distract his aim.
6. What is the most common building material used in Laketown?
(c) Rammed earth.
7. Which dwarves are killed in the battle or die because of wounds sustained during it?
(a) Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
(b) Thorin, Fili and Kili.
(c) Thorin, Balin and Dwalin.
(d) Dori, Nori and Ori.
8. Why does Smaug react with such great fury in Chapter 12?
(a) He smells the dwarves and realizes that they are coming to kill him.
(b) He is extremely disturbed by his nightmare.
(c) He is outraged that someone has dared to steal from him.
(d) He is hungry after his long sleep and his hunger infuriates him.
9. What colors is Smaug?
(a) Red and green.
(b) Green and gold.
(c) Red and gold.
(d) Red and black.
10. What phase of the moon is showing when Bilbo realizes that Durin's Day has come and they can find the keyhole?
(a) A full moon.
(b) A half moon.
(c) A waning crescent.
(d) A new moon.
11. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
(a) We are not told.
(b) Six feet high.
(c) Three feet high.
(d) Five feet high.
12. What advice does Roac give to Thorin about the Lakemen?
(a) To attack first before the elf army arrives.
(b) Not to trust any of them, as they want to steal the gold.
(c) To trust all of them, especially the Master.
(d) To trust Bard, and to share the treasure with them.
13. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Try to capture one of the thrushes, crows or ravens and use its feathers as a disguise to sneak into the mountain through the Front Gate.
(b) Go into the mountain through the Front Gate using his magic ring.
(c) Talk to the thrushes and see if they know the secret of opening the door.
(d) Go back to Laketown and ask for more supplies and weapons.
14. What is the name of Dain's father?
15. What type of bird brings Bilbo and the dwarves the news of the dragon's death?
(a) A thrush.
(b) A crow.
(c) A raven.
(d) An eagle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can the dwarves and Bilbo reach the third camp outside the 'doorstep'?
2. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
3. In Chapter 16, who does Bilbo deal with and offer his share of the treasure to, along with the Arkenstone?
4. How long do the dwarves and Bilbo stay in Laketown?
5. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)