|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
(a) Bilbo and the Master.
(b) Bofur and Bombur.
(c) Fili and Kili.
(d) Dwalin and Balin.
2. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
(a) His economic expertise.
(b) His knowledge of the Elvish languages.
(c) His excellent memory and people skills.
(d) His love of old songs.
3. What colors is Smaug?
(a) Red and green.
(b) Red and gold.
(c) Red and black.
(d) Green and gold.
4. What does Bilbo most want to happen while the dwarves are preparing for a siege by the elves and Lakemen?
(a) He wants Gandalf to turn up and take him back to his hobbit hole again.
(b) He wants a peaceful resolution to the situation - and enough food
(c) He wants the armies to go away and leave them alone.
(d) He wants to steal away with his share of the treasure and leave the dwarves to fight the Lakemen over the rest.
5. Who killed Bolg, the goblin cheiftan?
(a) Beorn in bear's shape.
(b) Bard the Bowman.
(c) Gandalf, who called down lightning.
(d) Thorin, who got his death-wound fighting single-handed against Bolg.
6. What type of bird brings Bilbo and the dwarves the news of the dragon's death?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A thrush.
(c) A crow.
(d) A raven.
7. What animals or creatures can be found near the doorstep?
(a) Thrushes and ravens.
(b) Snails and scorpions.
(c) Snakes, spiders and crows.
(d) Thrushes and giant snails.
8. What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills wear that is their special technological secret?
(a) Helmets made of mithril.
(b) Seven-league boots that help them cover long distances quickly.
(c) Knee-length hauberks of stainless steel.
(d) Flexible mail trousers or hose.
9. How can the dwarves and Bilbo reach the third camp outside the 'doorstep'?
(a) On horseback.
(b) Either by a narrow path along the edge of a precipice or by ropes.
(c) Only by ropes - no other way is possible.
(d) By floating along the river.
10. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
(a) Beating on the stone and pushing at the cliff face.
(b) Throwing loose rocks at the cliff face.
(c) Reciting spells that can open locked doors.
(d) Using pickaxes to break through the stone.
11. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
(a) He is very fond of the ponies and doesn't want to leave them behind.
(b) He thinks he is too fat for the ropes and that he will get dizzy or trip on the path.
(c) He does not believe that Bilbo and the others have really found the secret door.
(d) He lost a bet and had to go on guard duty as a result.
12. How do the dwarves manage to obtain three ponies in Chapter 15?
(a) They capture and tame wild ponies that were living in the area.
(b) They find that three of the ponies escaped from the dragon and were wandering down the river.
(c) Bilbo steals the ponies off the Lakemen using his magic ring.
(d) Dain from the Iron Hills sends the ponies to help Thorin.
13. How does the Elvenking react to the sight of the Arkenstone?
(a) He is consumed by lust for the gem and is willing to renounce the rest of the treasure if he can have the Arkenstone.
(b) He is unimpressed by it.
(c) He rejects Bilbo's offer as treacherous and ignoble, preferring instead to fight fairly for a share of the treasure.
(d) He is amazed by its beauty and questions Bilbo's right to give it to him.
14. Which of the following does Bard not use as a reason why the dwarves should share the treasure with the people of Laketown?
(a) The people of Laketown helped the dwarves when the dwarves were in need, but are now in need themselves.
(b) The dragon had a lot of treasure, so there is plenty for all to share.
(c) Bard was the one who actually killed the dragon.
(d) Some of the treasure came from Dale and belonged to Bard's ancestors.
15. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
(c) None - the dragon has eaten them all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the people of Lake-town destroy the bridges as a defense against the onslaught of the dragon?
2. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
3. How does Bilbo know that the gem he stumbles across is the Arkenstone?
4. In Chapter 16, who does Bilbo deal with and offer his share of the treasure to, along with the Arkenstone?
5. How does Bilbo manage to recognize Thorin after freeing him from the barrel?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)