|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
(a) The air about him grows hotter.
(b) The rumbling sound of Smaug's breathing or snoring.
(c) A reddish glow.
(d) Wisps of smoke.
2. Who killed Bolg, the goblin cheiftan?
(a) Thorin, who got his death-wound fighting single-handed against Bolg.
(b) Gandalf, who called down lightning.
(c) Beorn in bear's shape.
(d) Bard the Bowman.
3. How can the dwarves and Bilbo reach the third camp outside the 'doorstep'?
(a) Only by ropes - no other way is possible.
(b) By floating along the river.
(c) Either by a narrow path along the edge of a precipice or by ropes.
(d) On horseback.
4. For whom was the armor Bilbo is rewarded with in Chapter 13 originally made?
(a) The bride of the King Under the Mountain.
(b) Bullroarer Took as a reward for killing the goblin chieftain.
(c) A young elf prince.
(d) Thorin when he was younger.
5. What does Bilbo most want to happen while the dwarves are preparing for a siege by the elves and Lakemen?
(a) He wants the armies to go away and leave them alone.
(b) He wants a peaceful resolution to the situation - and enough food
(c) He wants to steal away with his share of the treasure and leave the dwarves to fight the Lakemen over the rest.
(d) He wants Gandalf to turn up and take him back to his hobbit hole again.
6. What does Bilbo manage to steal from Smaug in Chapter 12?
(a) A sharp sword.
(b) A pocketful of gold coins.
(c) A golden cup.
(d) A necklace of rubies.
7. What did Smaug meet in his nightmare before he wakes up?
(a) A bigger, stronger dragon wanting to steal his hoard.
(b) Thieves stealing from his hoard.
(c) A brave warrior with a sword.
(d) An army of archers.
8. Why is Bard astonished when the thrush lands on his shoulder?
(a) He believes the thrush is a spy of the dragon's sent to distract his aim.
(b) The thrush is the emblem on his family coat of arms.
(c) He thought all the thrushes in the area had been killed by the dragon.
(d) He can understand its speech.
9. How does Thorin learn that Bilbo was the one who gave the Arkenstone to Bard and the Elvenking?
(a) Bilbo confesses to giving it to them.
(b) A raven who saw Bilbo going to the camp tells him.
(c) Bard tells Thorin where he got the Arkenstone from.
(d) Thorin finds Bilbo's distinctive footprints leading out of the stronghold.
10. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
(a) A golden statue of Smaug.
(b) The Arkenstone and the sword Orcrist.
(c) The shield and sword he carried in his last battle.
(d) The crown that had been his grandfather's.
11. What gift does Bard the Bowman give to the Elvenking?
(a) The rubies that had belonged to Bard's ancestors.
(b) All the crowns that could be found in Smaug's treasure.
(c) The emeralds that had belonged to King Girion of Dale.
(d) A chest full of diamonds.
12. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
(a) His knowledge of the Elvish languages.
(b) His economic expertise.
(c) His love of old songs.
(d) His excellent memory and people skills.
13. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
(a) Bilbo and the Master.
(b) Fili and Kili.
(c) Bofur and Bombur.
(d) Dwalin and Balin.
14. Why is the King of the Wood Elves wiser than the men of Laketown?
(a) He knows a way to kill Smaug that the Lake-men do not.
(b) He realizes that the dwarves will have to steal from Smaug rather than attempt to kill him, which is what the Lake-men believe.
(c) He believes in the old songs and tales that the Master of Laketown has forgotten about.
(d) He quickly realizes how the dwarves managed to escape from his dungeons.
15. What is the name of Dain's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Thorin's sword Orcrist?
2. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
3. Which dwarf is not present on the Doorstep when the door is finally opened?
4. What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills wear that is their special technological secret?
5. How does the Elvenking react to the sight of the Arkenstone?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)