|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
(b) None - the dragon has eaten them all.
2. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
(a) The Arkenstone and the sword Orcrist.
(b) The shield and sword he carried in his last battle.
(c) The crown that had been his grandfather's.
(d) A golden statue of Smaug.
3. Why is the King of the Wood Elves wiser than the men of Laketown?
(a) He believes in the old songs and tales that the Master of Laketown has forgotten about.
(b) He quickly realizes how the dwarves managed to escape from his dungeons.
(c) He knows a way to kill Smaug that the Lake-men do not.
(d) He realizes that the dwarves will have to steal from Smaug rather than attempt to kill him, which is what the Lake-men believe.
4. How long do the dwarves and Bilbo stay in Laketown?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) We are not told.
(c) A fortnight.
(d) Two days.
5. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
(a) Bowman the Bard.
(b) Bard the Bowman.
(c) Bard of Esgaroth.
(d) Bard ap Girion.
6. What did Smaug meet in his nightmare before he wakes up?
(a) A brave warrior with a sword.
(b) Thieves stealing from his hoard.
(c) An army of archers.
(d) A bigger, stronger dragon wanting to steal his hoard.
7. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
(a) The air about him grows hotter.
(b) Wisps of smoke.
(c) The rumbling sound of Smaug's breathing or snoring.
(d) A reddish glow.
8. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Go back to Laketown and ask for more supplies and weapons.
(b) Go into the mountain through the Front Gate using his magic ring.
(c) Try to capture one of the thrushes, crows or ravens and use its feathers as a disguise to sneak into the mountain through the Front Gate.
(d) Talk to the thrushes and see if they know the secret of opening the door.
9. What is the most common building material used in Laketown?
(a) Rammed earth.
10. For whom was the armor Bilbo is rewarded with in Chapter 13 originally made?
(a) The bride of the King Under the Mountain.
(b) Bullroarer Took as a reward for killing the goblin chieftain.
(c) Thorin when he was younger.
(d) A young elf prince.
11. How old is Roac the raven?
(b) We are not told.
12. How does the Elvenking react to the sight of the Arkenstone?
(a) He is consumed by lust for the gem and is willing to renounce the rest of the treasure if he can have the Arkenstone.
(b) He rejects Bilbo's offer as treacherous and ignoble, preferring instead to fight fairly for a share of the treasure.
(c) He is amazed by its beauty and questions Bilbo's right to give it to him.
(d) He is unimpressed by it.
13. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
(a) Three feet high.
(b) We are not told.
(c) Six feet high.
(d) Five feet high.
14. What does the Master believe about Thorin and his company at first?
(a) That Thorin will be a worthy ally and trade partner.
(b) That they are frauds.
(c) That Thorin will be killed by the dragon.
(d) That Thorin is the true King Under the Mountain.
15. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
(a) He lost a bet and had to go on guard duty as a result.
(b) He does not believe that Bilbo and the others have really found the secret door.
(c) He thinks he is too fat for the ropes and that he will get dizzy or trip on the path.
(d) He is very fond of the ponies and doesn't want to leave them behind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wound has Gandalf sustained during the Battle of the Five Armies?
2. In Chapter 12, who volunteers to come some of the way down the tunnel with Bilbo?
3. What had Fili's barrel been used to carry before he escaped inside it?
4. Who killed Bolg, the goblin cheiftan?
5. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)