|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
(a) Bard the Bowman.
(b) Bard of Esgaroth.
(c) Bowman the Bard.
(d) Bard ap Girion.
2. Who is supposed to be on watch when Bilbo steals out of the stronghold to the elves and Lakemen?
3. How does Thorin learn that Bilbo was the one who gave the Arkenstone to Bard and the Elvenking?
(a) Thorin finds Bilbo's distinctive footprints leading out of the stronghold.
(b) A raven who saw Bilbo going to the camp tells him.
(c) Bard tells Thorin where he got the Arkenstone from.
(d) Bilbo confesses to giving it to them.
4. How long do the dwarves and Bilbo stay in Laketown?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) We are not told.
(c) Two days.
(d) Three weeks.
5. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
6. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
(a) Reciting spells that can open locked doors.
(b) Throwing loose rocks at the cliff face.
(c) Using pickaxes to break through the stone.
(d) Beating on the stone and pushing at the cliff face.
7. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
(a) The Lonely Mountain.
(b) The Iron Hills to the northeast of the lake.
(c) The Long Lake.
(d) A landslide.
8. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
(a) He is very fond of the ponies and doesn't want to leave them behind.
(b) He thinks he is too fat for the ropes and that he will get dizzy or trip on the path.
(c) He lost a bet and had to go on guard duty as a result.
(d) He does not believe that Bilbo and the others have really found the secret door.
9. Who carries the wooden casket holding the Arkenstone to the parley with Thorin?
(b) An unnamed wood-elf.
(c) Bard the Bowman.
(d) The Master of Laketown.
10. What does Bilbo give to the Elvenking to pay for the food and wine he stole from him?
(a) A chest of gold.
(b) His sword Sting.
(c) A crown of silver set with diamonds.
(d) A necklace of silver and pearls.
11. Who attacks first and starts the war over the dragon gold?
(a) The goblins and wargs.
(b) The elves.
(c) The Lakemen.
(d) The dwarves.
12. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
13. What phase of the moon is showing when Bilbo realizes that Durin's Day has come and they can find the keyhole?
(a) A half moon.
(b) A full moon.
(c) A new moon.
(d) A waning crescent.
14. Who killed Bolg, the goblin cheiftan?
(a) Thorin, who got his death-wound fighting single-handed against Bolg.
(b) Bard the Bowman.
(c) Gandalf, who called down lightning.
(d) Beorn in bear's shape.
15. How does the Elvenking react to the sight of the Arkenstone?
(a) He is consumed by lust for the gem and is willing to renounce the rest of the treasure if he can have the Arkenstone.
(b) He is unimpressed by it.
(c) He rejects Bilbo's offer as treacherous and ignoble, preferring instead to fight fairly for a share of the treasure.
(d) He is amazed by its beauty and questions Bilbo's right to give it to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
2. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
3. What does Thorin take as armor and weapons from the hoard of Smaug's treasure?
4. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
5. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)