|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
(a) The wind from Smaug's wings makes all the arrows miss their targets.
(b) Smag has a magic of his own that makes him invulnerable.
(c) Smaug flies so high and fast that no arrows can reach him.
(d) The arrows either bounce off his scales and diamond encrusted underbelly, or he incinerates them with his fiery breath.
2. Who carries the wooden casket holding the Arkenstone to the parley with Thorin?
(b) The Master of Laketown.
(c) An unnamed wood-elf.
(d) Bard the Bowman.
3. What happened to Thorin's sword Orcrist?
(a) It had become hopelessly rusty in the trip down the river.
(b) The King of the Wood Elves took it from Thorin when he was made prisoner.
(c) Nothing - Thorin uses it to enhance his kingly apperance when he presents himself to the Master of Laketown.
(d) It had fallen off and become lost while the Eagles were rescuing the adventurers from the wargs and goblins.
4. What does Bilbo manage to steal from Smaug in Chapter 12?
(a) A sharp sword.
(b) A golden cup.
(c) A pocketful of gold coins.
(d) A necklace of rubies.
5. What advice does Roac give to Thorin about the Lakemen?
(a) To trust Bard, and to share the treasure with them.
(b) To attack first before the elf army arrives.
(c) Not to trust any of them, as they want to steal the gold.
(d) To trust all of them, especially the Master.
6. How does Bilbo know that the gem he stumbles across is the Arkenstone?
(a) He hears the ghost of a long-dead dwarf whisper its name to him as he picks it up.
(b) He does not know it is the Arkenstone at all and fails to recognize it.
(c) It is written in letters of gold across one of the facets of the stone.
(d) Bilbo recognizes it from Thorin's description.
7. Who is supposed to be on watch when Bilbo steals out of the stronghold to the elves and Lakemen?
8. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
9. For whom was the armor Bilbo is rewarded with in Chapter 13 originally made?
(a) Bullroarer Took as a reward for killing the goblin chieftain.
(b) A young elf prince.
(c) Thorin when he was younger.
(d) The bride of the King Under the Mountain.
10. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
(a) That the dragon is watching them from the side of the mountain.
(b) That the dragon has set himself on fire.
(c) That the dragon is alive.
(d) That the dragon is getting ready to come out and eat them.
11. What type of bird brings Bilbo and the dwarves the news of the dragon's death?
(a) A crow.
(b) A raven.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A thrush.
12. What does the Master believe about Thorin and his company at first?
(a) That Thorin is the true King Under the Mountain.
(b) That Thorin will be a worthy ally and trade partner.
(c) That Thorin will be killed by the dragon.
(d) That they are frauds.
13. Why can Bard understand the speech of the thrush?
(a) It was a special, magical thrush that could make any human that spoke to it understand.
(b) The thrush spoke Bard's native language.
(c) His ancestors came from Dale, where the people had the power of understanding the speech of birds.
(d) He has studied the language of birds and is used to it.
14. What is the name of Dain's father?
15. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
(a) They believe that the dragon does not exist.
(b) They believe that the river will flow with gold once the King Under the Mountain returns.
(c) They believe that the dragon is harmless and even friendly.
(d) They believe that Thorin is not the rightful King Under the Mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
2. Why is Bilbo unhappy during their stay in Laketown?
3. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
4. In Chapter 14, qho does Bard ask for help in making sure that the refugees from Laketown have food and shelter to help them through the oncoming winter?
5. In Chapter 16, who does Bilbo deal with and offer his share of the treasure to, along with the Arkenstone?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)