|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bard astonished when the thrush lands on his shoulder?
(a) He believes the thrush is a spy of the dragon's sent to distract his aim.
(b) He can understand its speech.
(c) He thought all the thrushes in the area had been killed by the dragon.
(d) The thrush is the emblem on his family coat of arms.
2. What did Smaug meet in his nightmare before he wakes up?
(a) A bigger, stronger dragon wanting to steal his hoard.
(b) A brave warrior with a sword.
(c) Thieves stealing from his hoard.
(d) An army of archers.
3. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
(a) His knowledge of the Elvish languages.
(b) His love of old songs.
(c) His excellent memory and people skills.
(d) His economic expertise.
4. How can the dwarves and Bilbo reach the third camp outside the 'doorstep'?
(a) Only by ropes - no other way is possible.
(b) Either by a narrow path along the edge of a precipice or by ropes.
(c) On horseback.
(d) By floating along the river.
5. What does Bilbo most want to happen while the dwarves are preparing for a siege by the elves and Lakemen?
(a) He wants the armies to go away and leave them alone.
(b) He wants a peaceful resolution to the situation - and enough food
(c) He wants Gandalf to turn up and take him back to his hobbit hole again.
(d) He wants to steal away with his share of the treasure and leave the dwarves to fight the Lakemen over the rest.
6. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Try to capture one of the thrushes, crows or ravens and use its feathers as a disguise to sneak into the mountain through the Front Gate.
(b) Talk to the thrushes and see if they know the secret of opening the door.
(c) Go back to Laketown and ask for more supplies and weapons.
(d) Go into the mountain through the Front Gate using his magic ring.
7. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
(a) A golden statue of Smaug.
(b) The Arkenstone and the sword Orcrist.
(c) The crown that had been his grandfather's.
(d) The shield and sword he carried in his last battle.
8. How long do the dwarves and Bilbo stay in Laketown?
(a) We are not told.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) A fortnight.
(d) Two days.
9. How old is Roac the raven?
(b) We are not told.
10. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
(a) Six feet high.
(b) Three feet high.
(c) Five feet high.
(d) We are not told.
11. Why can Bard understand the speech of the thrush?
(a) It was a special, magical thrush that could make any human that spoke to it understand.
(b) The thrush spoke Bard's native language.
(c) His ancestors came from Dale, where the people had the power of understanding the speech of birds.
(d) He has studied the language of birds and is used to it.
12. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
(a) Fili and Kili.
(b) Dwalin and Balin.
(c) Bofur and Bombur.
(d) Bilbo and the Master.
13. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
14. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
(a) The Long Lake.
(b) The Iron Hills to the northeast of the lake.
(c) A landslide.
(d) The Lonely Mountain.
15. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
(a) They believe that the dragon does not exist.
(b) They believe that the dragon is harmless and even friendly.
(c) They believe that Thorin is not the rightful King Under the Mountain.
(d) They believe that the river will flow with gold once the King Under the Mountain returns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wound has Gandalf sustained during the Battle of the Five Armies?
2. What colors is Smaug?
3. Who carries the wooden casket holding the Arkenstone to the parley with Thorin?
4. Which of the following does Bard not use as a reason why the dwarves should share the treasure with the people of Laketown?
5. What gift does Bard the Bowman give to the Elvenking?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)