|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
2. What is the other name for the Arkenstone?
(a) The Heart of the Dragon.
(b) The Heart of the Mountain.
(c) The Mountain of Light.
(d) The Heart of Darkness.
3. How does Bilbo know that the gem he stumbles across is the Arkenstone?
(a) He does not know it is the Arkenstone at all and fails to recognize it.
(b) It is written in letters of gold across one of the facets of the stone.
(c) He hears the ghost of a long-dead dwarf whisper its name to him as he picks it up.
(d) Bilbo recognizes it from Thorin's description.
4. What happened to Thorin's sword Orcrist?
(a) The King of the Wood Elves took it from Thorin when he was made prisoner.
(b) It had become hopelessly rusty in the trip down the river.
(c) It had fallen off and become lost while the Eagles were rescuing the adventurers from the wargs and goblins.
(d) Nothing - Thorin uses it to enhance his kingly apperance when he presents himself to the Master of Laketown.
5. Who killed Bolg, the goblin cheiftan?
(a) Bard the Bowman.
(b) Thorin, who got his death-wound fighting single-handed against Bolg.
(c) Gandalf, who called down lightning.
(d) Beorn in bear's shape.
6. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
(c) None - the dragon has eaten them all.
7. How does Bilbo manage to recognize Thorin after freeing him from the barrel?
(a) By his long nose and bristling beard.
(b) By his blue hood with the silver tassel and by his golden chain.
(c) By a distinctive scar left from his encounter with Smaug in the distant past.
(d) By his red cloak, black boots and dark green tunic
8. In Chapter 16, who does Bilbo deal with and offer his share of the treasure to, along with the Arkenstone?
(a) Bard and the Master.
(b) The Elvish High Council.
(c) Bard and the King of the Wood Elves.
(d) Gandalf and Bard.
9. What animals or creatures can be found near the doorstep?
(a) Thrushes and ravens.
(b) Thrushes and giant snails.
(c) Snakes, spiders and crows.
(d) Snails and scorpions.
10. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
(a) The dwarves, using an ancient and secret recipe.
(b) The Lake-men.
(c) The Wood Elves.
11. For whom was the armor Bilbo is rewarded with in Chapter 13 originally made?
(a) A young elf prince.
(b) The bride of the King Under the Mountain.
(c) Bullroarer Took as a reward for killing the goblin chieftain.
(d) Thorin when he was younger.
12. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
(a) The air about him grows hotter.
(b) A reddish glow.
(c) The rumbling sound of Smaug's breathing or snoring.
(d) Wisps of smoke.
13. What does the Master believe about Thorin and his company at first?
(a) That they are frauds.
(b) That Thorin will be killed by the dragon.
(c) That Thorin will be a worthy ally and trade partner.
(d) That Thorin is the true King Under the Mountain.
14. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Talk to the thrushes and see if they know the secret of opening the door.
(b) Try to capture one of the thrushes, crows or ravens and use its feathers as a disguise to sneak into the mountain through the Front Gate.
(c) Go into the mountain through the Front Gate using his magic ring.
(d) Go back to Laketown and ask for more supplies and weapons.
15. What type of bird brings Bilbo and the dwarves the news of the dragon's death?
(a) A crow.
(b) A raven.
(c) A thrush.
(d) An eagle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most common building material used in Laketown?
2. Why do the people of Lake-town destroy the bridges as a defense against the onslaught of the dragon?
3. Who carries the wooden casket holding the Arkenstone to the parley with Thorin?
4. What had Fili's barrel been used to carry before he escaped inside it?
5. Why is the King of the Wood Elves wiser than the men of Laketown?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)