|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Bard the Bowman give to the Elvenking?
(a) All the crowns that could be found in Smaug's treasure.
(b) The rubies that had belonged to Bard's ancestors.
(c) A chest full of diamonds.
(d) The emeralds that had belonged to King Girion of Dale.
2. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
3. Why do the people of Lake-town destroy the bridges as a defense against the onslaught of the dragon?
(a) They are attempting to fool the dragon into thinking they have left the town.
(b) The Master ordered them to do so in the hopes that his rival, Bard, would be killed.
(c) The dragon can then only attack them from the air (which makes him vulnerable to arrows) or have his fire quenched by the cold water of the lake.
(d) The bridges are the only part of the town that is vulnerable to dragon-fire.
4. Which of the following does Thorin not threaten to do to Bilbo in Chapter 17?
(a) Never be friends with him again.
(b) Shoot at his feet with arrows.
(c) Throw him off the cliff.
(d) Stab him with his own elvish dagger.
5. What happened to Thorin's sword Orcrist?
(a) It had become hopelessly rusty in the trip down the river.
(b) The King of the Wood Elves took it from Thorin when he was made prisoner.
(c) It had fallen off and become lost while the Eagles were rescuing the adventurers from the wargs and goblins.
(d) Nothing - Thorin uses it to enhance his kingly apperance when he presents himself to the Master of Laketown.
6. How long do the dwarves and Bilbo stay in Laketown?
(a) We are not told.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) Two days.
(d) Three weeks.
7. How old is Roac the raven?
(b) We are not told.
8. Why is Bilbo unhappy during their stay in Laketown?
(a) He is suspicious about the possible motives of the Master.
(b) He has a bad cold.
(c) He still wishes he was back in his hobbit-hole.
(d) He does not like the food that the Lake-men offer them.
9. What does Bilbo give to the Elvenking to pay for the food and wine he stole from him?
(a) His sword Sting.
(b) A crown of silver set with diamonds.
(c) A necklace of silver and pearls.
(d) A chest of gold.
10. Who is supposed to be on watch when Bilbo steals out of the stronghold to the elves and Lakemen?
11. How does Bilbo know that the gem he stumbles across is the Arkenstone?
(a) He hears the ghost of a long-dead dwarf whisper its name to him as he picks it up.
(b) He does not know it is the Arkenstone at all and fails to recognize it.
(c) Bilbo recognizes it from Thorin's description.
(d) It is written in letters of gold across one of the facets of the stone.
12. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
(a) That the dragon has set himself on fire.
(b) That the dragon is alive.
(c) That the dragon is watching them from the side of the mountain.
(d) That the dragon is getting ready to come out and eat them.
13. How do the dwarves manage to obtain three ponies in Chapter 15?
(a) Bilbo steals the ponies off the Lakemen using his magic ring.
(b) They capture and tame wild ponies that were living in the area.
(c) They find that three of the ponies escaped from the dragon and were wandering down the river.
(d) Dain from the Iron Hills sends the ponies to help Thorin.
14. Which dwarf is not present on the Doorstep when the door is finally opened?
15. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
(a) Dwalin and Balin.
(b) Fili and Kili.
(c) Bilbo and the Master.
(d) Bofur and Bombur.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bilbo manage to recognize Thorin after freeing him from the barrel?
2. In Chapter 14, qho does Bard ask for help in making sure that the refugees from Laketown have food and shelter to help them through the oncoming winter?
3. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
4. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
5. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)