|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bilbo manage to steal from Smaug in Chapter 12?
(a) A pocketful of gold coins.
(b) A necklace of rubies.
(c) A golden cup.
(d) A sharp sword.
2. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
(a) The arrows either bounce off his scales and diamond encrusted underbelly, or he incinerates them with his fiery breath.
(b) Smag has a magic of his own that makes him invulnerable.
(c) The wind from Smaug's wings makes all the arrows miss their targets.
(d) Smaug flies so high and fast that no arrows can reach him.
3. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
(a) That the dragon is watching them from the side of the mountain.
(b) That the dragon is alive.
(c) That the dragon is getting ready to come out and eat them.
(d) That the dragon has set himself on fire.
4. What type of bird brings Bilbo and the dwarves the news of the dragon's death?
(a) A crow.
(b) A thrush.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A raven.
5. How can the dwarves and Bilbo reach the third camp outside the 'doorstep'?
(a) Either by a narrow path along the edge of a precipice or by ropes.
(b) On horseback.
(c) By floating along the river.
(d) Only by ropes - no other way is possible.
6. What is the name of Dain's father?
7. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
(a) He believes the dragon is coming back and wants to hide.
(b) A bat startles him.
(c) He trips over a necklace of pearls.
(d) He is so surprised when he sees the Arkenstone that he drops the torch.
8. Which of the following does Bard not use as a reason why the dwarves should share the treasure with the people of Laketown?
(a) The people of Laketown helped the dwarves when the dwarves were in need, but are now in need themselves.
(b) Some of the treasure came from Dale and belonged to Bard's ancestors.
(c) Bard was the one who actually killed the dragon.
(d) The dragon had a lot of treasure, so there is plenty for all to share.
9. Why can Bard understand the speech of the thrush?
(a) It was a special, magical thrush that could make any human that spoke to it understand.
(b) The thrush spoke Bard's native language.
(c) His ancestors came from Dale, where the people had the power of understanding the speech of birds.
(d) He has studied the language of birds and is used to it.
10. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
(a) The dwarves, using an ancient and secret recipe.
(c) The Lake-men.
(d) The Wood Elves.
11. What happened to Thorin's sword Orcrist?
(a) Nothing - Thorin uses it to enhance his kingly apperance when he presents himself to the Master of Laketown.
(b) It had fallen off and become lost while the Eagles were rescuing the adventurers from the wargs and goblins.
(c) The King of the Wood Elves took it from Thorin when he was made prisoner.
(d) It had become hopelessly rusty in the trip down the river.
12. What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills wear that is their special technological secret?
(a) Seven-league boots that help them cover long distances quickly.
(b) Flexible mail trousers or hose.
(c) Knee-length hauberks of stainless steel.
(d) Helmets made of mithril.
13. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
14. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
(a) The rumbling sound of Smaug's breathing or snoring.
(b) Wisps of smoke.
(c) The air about him grows hotter.
(d) A reddish glow.
15. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
(a) Dwalin and Balin.
(b) Bofur and Bombur.
(c) Bilbo and the Master.
(d) Fili and Kili.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
2. What colors is Smaug?
3. In Chapter 12, who volunteers to come some of the way down the tunnel with Bilbo?
4. Why is the King of the Wood Elves wiser than the men of Laketown?
5. What did Smaug meet in his nightmare before he wakes up?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)