|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
(a) His excellent memory and people skills.
(b) His knowledge of the Elvish languages.
(c) His economic expertise.
(d) His love of old songs.
2. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
(a) That the dragon is alive.
(b) That the dragon is getting ready to come out and eat them.
(c) That the dragon is watching them from the side of the mountain.
(d) That the dragon has set himself on fire.
3. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
(a) He is very fond of the ponies and doesn't want to leave them behind.
(b) He thinks he is too fat for the ropes and that he will get dizzy or trip on the path.
(c) He lost a bet and had to go on guard duty as a result.
(d) He does not believe that Bilbo and the others have really found the secret door.
4. What does Bilbo manage to steal from Smaug in Chapter 12?
(a) A necklace of rubies.
(b) A golden cup.
(c) A pocketful of gold coins.
(d) A sharp sword.
5. What does Bilbo most want to happen while the dwarves are preparing for a siege by the elves and Lakemen?
(a) He wants Gandalf to turn up and take him back to his hobbit hole again.
(b) He wants the armies to go away and leave them alone.
(c) He wants a peaceful resolution to the situation - and enough food
(d) He wants to steal away with his share of the treasure and leave the dwarves to fight the Lakemen over the rest.
6. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Talk to the thrushes and see if they know the secret of opening the door.
(b) Go into the mountain through the Front Gate using his magic ring.
(c) Go back to Laketown and ask for more supplies and weapons.
(d) Try to capture one of the thrushes, crows or ravens and use its feathers as a disguise to sneak into the mountain through the Front Gate.
7. What had Fili's barrel been used to carry before he escaped inside it?
8. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
(a) Dwalin and Balin.
(b) Fili and Kili.
(c) Bofur and Bombur.
(d) Bilbo and the Master.
9. Why can Bard understand the speech of the thrush?
(a) His ancestors came from Dale, where the people had the power of understanding the speech of birds.
(b) The thrush spoke Bard's native language.
(c) It was a special, magical thrush that could make any human that spoke to it understand.
(d) He has studied the language of birds and is used to it.
10. Why is Bard astonished when the thrush lands on his shoulder?
(a) The thrush is the emblem on his family coat of arms.
(b) He thought all the thrushes in the area had been killed by the dragon.
(c) He believes the thrush is a spy of the dragon's sent to distract his aim.
(d) He can understand its speech.
11. What colors is Smaug?
(a) Red and black.
(b) Green and gold.
(c) Red and gold.
(d) Red and green.
12. What unexpected news does Bilbo give the elves and Lakemen?
(a) The goblins are on their way to take the treasure.
(b) Smaug had a mate who is still alive inside the mountain.
(c) Thorin is weakening and is prepared to share.
(d) Dain from the Iron Hills is coming to Thorin's aid.
13. What advice does Roac give to Thorin about the Lakemen?
(a) To trust all of them, especially the Master.
(b) To trust Bard, and to share the treasure with them.
(c) Not to trust any of them, as they want to steal the gold.
(d) To attack first before the elf army arrives.
14. In Chapter 14, qho does Bard ask for help in making sure that the refugees from Laketown have food and shelter to help them through the oncoming winter?
(a) The goblins of the Misty Mountains.
(b) The King of the Wood Elves.
(c) Beorn and the woodsmen who hunt the Wargs.
(d) The dwarves of the Iron Hills.
15. What is the name of the hill close to where the dwarves and Bilbo make their first camp approaching the Lonely Mountain?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
2. How does the Elvenking react to the sight of the Arkenstone?
3. Why does Smaug react with such great fury in Chapter 12?
4. How does Thorin learn that Bilbo was the one who gave the Arkenstone to Bard and the Elvenking?
5. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)