|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Thorin not threaten to do to Bilbo in Chapter 17?
(a) Stab him with his own elvish dagger.
(b) Throw him off the cliff.
(c) Never be friends with him again.
(d) Shoot at his feet with arrows.
2. What does Bilbo most want to happen while the dwarves are preparing for a siege by the elves and Lakemen?
(a) He wants Gandalf to turn up and take him back to his hobbit hole again.
(b) He wants to steal away with his share of the treasure and leave the dwarves to fight the Lakemen over the rest.
(c) He wants a peaceful resolution to the situation - and enough food
(d) He wants the armies to go away and leave them alone.
3. In Chapter 16, who does Bilbo deal with and offer his share of the treasure to, along with the Arkenstone?
(a) Gandalf and Bard.
(b) Bard and the King of the Wood Elves.
(c) Bard and the Master.
(d) The Elvish High Council.
4. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
(a) The wind from Smaug's wings makes all the arrows miss their targets.
(b) Smaug flies so high and fast that no arrows can reach him.
(c) The arrows either bounce off his scales and diamond encrusted underbelly, or he incinerates them with his fiery breath.
(d) Smag has a magic of his own that makes him invulnerable.
5. Which dwarves are killed in the battle or die because of wounds sustained during it?
(a) Thorin, Fili and Kili.
(b) Dori, Nori and Ori.
(c) Thorin, Balin and Dwalin.
(d) Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
6. What does Bilbo manage to steal from Smaug in Chapter 12?
(a) A sharp sword.
(b) A necklace of rubies.
(c) A pocketful of gold coins.
(d) A golden cup.
7. Why is Bilbo unhappy during their stay in Laketown?
(a) He still wishes he was back in his hobbit-hole.
(b) He has a bad cold.
(c) He is suspicious about the possible motives of the Master.
(d) He does not like the food that the Lake-men offer them.
8. Who attacks first and starts the war over the dragon gold?
(a) The Lakemen.
(b) The elves.
(c) The dwarves.
(d) The goblins and wargs.
9. Why is the King of the Wood Elves wiser than the men of Laketown?
(a) He knows a way to kill Smaug that the Lake-men do not.
(b) He realizes that the dwarves will have to steal from Smaug rather than attempt to kill him, which is what the Lake-men believe.
(c) He quickly realizes how the dwarves managed to escape from his dungeons.
(d) He believes in the old songs and tales that the Master of Laketown has forgotten about.
10. How does Bilbo manage to recognize Thorin after freeing him from the barrel?
(a) By his red cloak, black boots and dark green tunic
(b) By his blue hood with the silver tassel and by his golden chain.
(c) By his long nose and bristling beard.
(d) By a distinctive scar left from his encounter with Smaug in the distant past.
11. Who killed Bolg, the goblin cheiftan?
(a) Beorn in bear's shape.
(b) Gandalf, who called down lightning.
(c) Thorin, who got his death-wound fighting single-handed against Bolg.
(d) Bard the Bowman.
12. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
13. In Chapter 14, qho does Bard ask for help in making sure that the refugees from Laketown have food and shelter to help them through the oncoming winter?
(a) The King of the Wood Elves.
(b) Beorn and the woodsmen who hunt the Wargs.
(c) The goblins of the Misty Mountains.
(d) The dwarves of the Iron Hills.
14. How long do the dwarves and Bilbo stay in Laketown?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) A fortnight.
(d) We are not told.
15. Why is Bard astonished when the thrush lands on his shoulder?
(a) He believes the thrush is a spy of the dragon's sent to distract his aim.
(b) The thrush is the emblem on his family coat of arms.
(c) He can understand its speech.
(d) He thought all the thrushes in the area had been killed by the dragon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
2. Who makes the cram that the dwarves and Bilbo eat while camping at Ravenhill?
3. What unexpected news does Bilbo give the elves and Lakemen?
4. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
5. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)