|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most common building material used in Laketown?
(a) Rammed earth.
2. What unexpected news does Bilbo give the elves and Lakemen?
(a) Thorin is weakening and is prepared to share.
(b) The goblins are on their way to take the treasure.
(c) Smaug had a mate who is still alive inside the mountain.
(d) Dain from the Iron Hills is coming to Thorin's aid.
3. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
(a) The Long Lake.
(b) The Iron Hills to the northeast of the lake.
(c) A landslide.
(d) The Lonely Mountain.
4. In Chapter 16, who does Bilbo deal with and offer his share of the treasure to, along with the Arkenstone?
(a) The Elvish High Council.
(b) Gandalf and Bard.
(c) Bard and the Master.
(d) Bard and the King of the Wood Elves.
5. Which dwarf is not present on the Doorstep when the door is finally opened?
6. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
(a) His knowledge of the Elvish languages.
(b) His love of old songs.
(c) His excellent memory and people skills.
(d) His economic expertise.
7. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
(a) None - the dragon has eaten them all.
8. What phase of the moon is showing when Bilbo realizes that Durin's Day has come and they can find the keyhole?
(a) A full moon.
(b) A half moon.
(c) A new moon.
(d) A waning crescent.
9. For whom was the armor Bilbo is rewarded with in Chapter 13 originally made?
(a) The bride of the King Under the Mountain.
(b) Thorin when he was younger.
(c) Bullroarer Took as a reward for killing the goblin chieftain.
(d) A young elf prince.
10. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
(a) He believes the dragon is coming back and wants to hide.
(b) He is so surprised when he sees the Arkenstone that he drops the torch.
(c) He trips over a necklace of pearls.
(d) A bat startles him.
11. Which of the following does Thorin not threaten to do to Bilbo in Chapter 17?
(a) Never be friends with him again.
(b) Throw him off the cliff.
(c) Shoot at his feet with arrows.
(d) Stab him with his own elvish dagger.
12. What does Thorin take as armor and weapons from the hoard of Smaug's treasure?
(a) A coat of gold-plated rings, an axe with a silver haft and a belt encrusted with scarlet stones.
(b) Spears with the heads inlaid with gold, an emerald-studded shield and a crown.
(c) Silver armour, a belt set with rubies and a black mace set with diamonds.
(d) A coat of silver mail, a helmet encrusted with diamonds and an ivory bow.
13. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
(a) Bard of Esgaroth.
(b) Bard the Bowman.
(c) Bard ap Girion.
(d) Bowman the Bard.
14. Why is Bard astonished when the thrush lands on his shoulder?
(a) He thought all the thrushes in the area had been killed by the dragon.
(b) He believes the thrush is a spy of the dragon's sent to distract his aim.
(c) The thrush is the emblem on his family coat of arms.
(d) He can understand its speech.
15. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
(a) That the dragon is alive.
(b) That the dragon has set himself on fire.
(c) That the dragon is getting ready to come out and eat them.
(d) That the dragon is watching them from the side of the mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Roac give to Thorin about the Lakemen?
2. What colors is Smaug?
3. How does Thorin learn that Bilbo was the one who gave the Arkenstone to Bard and the Elvenking?
4. What had Fili's barrel been used to carry before he escaped inside it?
5. How does the Elvenking react to the sight of the Arkenstone?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)