|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is supposed to be on watch when Bilbo steals out of the stronghold to the elves and Lakemen?
2. How do the dwarves manage to obtain three ponies in Chapter 15?
(a) Dain from the Iron Hills sends the ponies to help Thorin.
(b) They find that three of the ponies escaped from the dragon and were wandering down the river.
(c) They capture and tame wild ponies that were living in the area.
(d) Bilbo steals the ponies off the Lakemen using his magic ring.
3. How long do the dwarves and Bilbo stay in Laketown?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) Two days.
(c) We are not told.
(d) Three weeks.
4. For whom was the armor Bilbo is rewarded with in Chapter 13 originally made?
(a) The bride of the King Under the Mountain.
(b) A young elf prince.
(c) Thorin when he was younger.
(d) Bullroarer Took as a reward for killing the goblin chieftain.
5. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
(a) Beating on the stone and pushing at the cliff face.
(b) Reciting spells that can open locked doors.
(c) Using pickaxes to break through the stone.
(d) Throwing loose rocks at the cliff face.
6. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
(a) A bat startles him.
(b) He believes the dragon is coming back and wants to hide.
(c) He trips over a necklace of pearls.
(d) He is so surprised when he sees the Arkenstone that he drops the torch.
7. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
(a) Fili and Kili.
(b) Bilbo and the Master.
(c) Bofur and Bombur.
(d) Dwalin and Balin.
8. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
9. What is the name of the hill close to where the dwarves and Bilbo make their first camp approaching the Lonely Mountain?
10. Why does Smaug react with such great fury in Chapter 12?
(a) He is outraged that someone has dared to steal from him.
(b) He smells the dwarves and realizes that they are coming to kill him.
(c) He is extremely disturbed by his nightmare.
(d) He is hungry after his long sleep and his hunger infuriates him.
11. In Chapter 14, qho does Bard ask for help in making sure that the refugees from Laketown have food and shelter to help them through the oncoming winter?
(a) The goblins of the Misty Mountains.
(b) Beorn and the woodsmen who hunt the Wargs.
(c) The dwarves of the Iron Hills.
(d) The King of the Wood Elves.
12. How old is Roac the raven?
(b) We are not told.
13. Which of the following does Bard not use as a reason why the dwarves should share the treasure with the people of Laketown?
(a) Bard was the one who actually killed the dragon.
(b) Some of the treasure came from Dale and belonged to Bard's ancestors.
(c) The people of Laketown helped the dwarves when the dwarves were in need, but are now in need themselves.
(d) The dragon had a lot of treasure, so there is plenty for all to share.
14. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
(a) He does not believe that Bilbo and the others have really found the secret door.
(b) He thinks he is too fat for the ropes and that he will get dizzy or trip on the path.
(c) He lost a bet and had to go on guard duty as a result.
(d) He is very fond of the ponies and doesn't want to leave them behind.
15. What wound has Gandalf sustained during the Battle of the Five Armies?
(a) A bad cut to the head that required stitching.
(b) Loss of half a foot when a goblin hacked it off with an axe.
(c) An undefined wound in the arm that requires him to wear a sling.
(d) A broken arm from falling off a cliff.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who carries the wooden casket holding the Arkenstone to the parley with Thorin?
2. What colors is Smaug?
3. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
4. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
5. In Chapter 12, who volunteers to come some of the way down the tunnel with Bilbo?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)