|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animals or creatures can be found near the doorstep?
(a) Snakes, spiders and crows.
(b) Thrushes and ravens.
(c) Thrushes and giant snails.
(d) Snails and scorpions.
2. For whom was the armor Bilbo is rewarded with in Chapter 13 originally made?
(a) Thorin when he was younger.
(b) The bride of the King Under the Mountain.
(c) Bullroarer Took as a reward for killing the goblin chieftain.
(d) A young elf prince.
3. Who is supposed to be on watch when Bilbo steals out of the stronghold to the elves and Lakemen?
4. What unexpected news does Bilbo give the elves and Lakemen?
(a) Dain from the Iron Hills is coming to Thorin's aid.
(b) The goblins are on their way to take the treasure.
(c) Thorin is weakening and is prepared to share.
(d) Smaug had a mate who is still alive inside the mountain.
5. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
(a) Throwing loose rocks at the cliff face.
(b) Beating on the stone and pushing at the cliff face.
(c) Reciting spells that can open locked doors.
(d) Using pickaxes to break through the stone.
6. How does Bilbo know that the gem he stumbles across is the Arkenstone?
(a) He does not know it is the Arkenstone at all and fails to recognize it.
(b) He hears the ghost of a long-dead dwarf whisper its name to him as he picks it up.
(c) Bilbo recognizes it from Thorin's description.
(d) It is written in letters of gold across one of the facets of the stone.
7. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
(a) Dwalin and Balin.
(b) Bofur and Bombur.
(c) Bilbo and the Master.
(d) Fili and Kili.
8. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
(a) A reddish glow.
(b) The air about him grows hotter.
(c) Wisps of smoke.
(d) The rumbling sound of Smaug's breathing or snoring.
9. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
(a) The crown that had been his grandfather's.
(b) The shield and sword he carried in his last battle.
(c) The Arkenstone and the sword Orcrist.
(d) A golden statue of Smaug.
10. How old is Roac the raven?
(a) We are not told.
11. How can the dwarves and Bilbo reach the third camp outside the 'doorstep'?
(a) Only by ropes - no other way is possible.
(b) On horseback.
(c) Either by a narrow path along the edge of a precipice or by ropes.
(d) By floating along the river.
12. How does Thorin learn that Bilbo was the one who gave the Arkenstone to Bard and the Elvenking?
(a) Bilbo confesses to giving it to them.
(b) Bard tells Thorin where he got the Arkenstone from.
(c) A raven who saw Bilbo going to the camp tells him.
(d) Thorin finds Bilbo's distinctive footprints leading out of the stronghold.
13. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
(a) His knowledge of the Elvish languages.
(b) His economic expertise.
(c) His excellent memory and people skills.
(d) His love of old songs.
14. What does Bilbo give to the Elvenking to pay for the food and wine he stole from him?
(a) A necklace of silver and pearls.
(b) A crown of silver set with diamonds.
(c) His sword Sting.
(d) A chest of gold.
15. Why can Bard understand the speech of the thrush?
(a) His ancestors came from Dale, where the people had the power of understanding the speech of birds.
(b) The thrush spoke Bard's native language.
(c) It was a special, magical thrush that could make any human that spoke to it understand.
(d) He has studied the language of birds and is used to it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Bard the Bowman give to the Elvenking?
2. In Chapter 14, qho does Bard ask for help in making sure that the refugees from Laketown have food and shelter to help them through the oncoming winter?
3. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
4. Which of the following does Thorin not threaten to do to Bilbo in Chapter 17?
5. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)