|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is supposed to be on watch when Bilbo steals out of the stronghold to the elves and Lakemen?
2. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
(a) They believe that Thorin is not the rightful King Under the Mountain.
(b) They believe that the dragon is harmless and even friendly.
(c) They believe that the dragon does not exist.
(d) They believe that the river will flow with gold once the King Under the Mountain returns.
3. What had Fili's barrel been used to carry before he escaped inside it?
4. What unexpected news does Bilbo give the elves and Lakemen?
(a) The goblins are on their way to take the treasure.
(b) Thorin is weakening and is prepared to share.
(c) Smaug had a mate who is still alive inside the mountain.
(d) Dain from the Iron Hills is coming to Thorin's aid.
5. How old is Roac the raven?
(c) We are not told.
6. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
(a) None - the dragon has eaten them all.
7. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
(a) He is so surprised when he sees the Arkenstone that he drops the torch.
(b) A bat startles him.
(c) He trips over a necklace of pearls.
(d) He believes the dragon is coming back and wants to hide.
8. Who killed Bolg, the goblin cheiftan?
(a) Thorin, who got his death-wound fighting single-handed against Bolg.
(b) Bard the Bowman.
(c) Beorn in bear's shape.
(d) Gandalf, who called down lightning.
9. What advice does Roac give to Thorin about the Lakemen?
(a) Not to trust any of them, as they want to steal the gold.
(b) To trust Bard, and to share the treasure with them.
(c) To attack first before the elf army arrives.
(d) To trust all of them, especially the Master.
10. What is the other name for the Arkenstone?
(a) The Mountain of Light.
(b) The Heart of Darkness.
(c) The Heart of the Dragon.
(d) The Heart of the Mountain.
11. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
(a) Throwing loose rocks at the cliff face.
(b) Reciting spells that can open locked doors.
(c) Beating on the stone and pushing at the cliff face.
(d) Using pickaxes to break through the stone.
12. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
(a) His love of old songs.
(b) His economic expertise.
(c) His excellent memory and people skills.
(d) His knowledge of the Elvish languages.
13. What type of bird brings Bilbo and the dwarves the news of the dragon's death?
(a) A crow.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A raven.
(d) A thrush.
14. Who finds the 'doorstep' of the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Bilbo, Fili and Kili.
(b) Thorin, Bilbo and Balin.
(c) Nori, Dori and Ori.
(d) Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
15. What does the Master believe about Thorin and his company at first?
(a) That Thorin is the true King Under the Mountain.
(b) That Thorin will be killed by the dragon.
(c) That Thorin will be a worthy ally and trade partner.
(d) That they are frauds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bilbo give to the Elvenking to pay for the food and wine he stole from him?
2. Which of the following does Thorin not threaten to do to Bilbo in Chapter 17?
3. What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills wear that is their special technological secret?
4. Which of the following does Bard not use as a reason why the dwarves should share the treasure with the people of Laketown?
5. What animals or creatures can be found near the doorstep?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)