|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thorin take as armor and weapons from the hoard of Smaug's treasure?
(a) Silver armour, a belt set with rubies and a black mace set with diamonds.
(b) Spears with the heads inlaid with gold, an emerald-studded shield and a crown.
(c) A coat of silver mail, a helmet encrusted with diamonds and an ivory bow.
(d) A coat of gold-plated rings, an axe with a silver haft and a belt encrusted with scarlet stones.
2. Which dwarf is not present on the Doorstep when the door is finally opened?
3. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
(a) His economic expertise.
(b) His love of old songs.
(c) His knowledge of the Elvish languages.
(d) His excellent memory and people skills.
4. What does Bilbo most want to happen while the dwarves are preparing for a siege by the elves and Lakemen?
(a) He wants a peaceful resolution to the situation - and enough food
(b) He wants Gandalf to turn up and take him back to his hobbit hole again.
(c) He wants to steal away with his share of the treasure and leave the dwarves to fight the Lakemen over the rest.
(d) He wants the armies to go away and leave them alone.
5. What type of bird brings Bilbo and the dwarves the news of the dragon's death?
(a) A thrush.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A crow.
(d) A raven.
6. Why is Bilbo unhappy during their stay in Laketown?
(a) He does not like the food that the Lake-men offer them.
(b) He has a bad cold.
(c) He still wishes he was back in his hobbit-hole.
(d) He is suspicious about the possible motives of the Master.
7. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
(a) They believe that the dragon does not exist.
(b) They believe that the river will flow with gold once the King Under the Mountain returns.
(c) They believe that Thorin is not the rightful King Under the Mountain.
(d) They believe that the dragon is harmless and even friendly.
8. What phase of the moon is showing when Bilbo realizes that Durin's Day has come and they can find the keyhole?
(a) A waning crescent.
(b) A new moon.
(c) A full moon.
(d) A half moon.
9. What is the most common building material used in Laketown?
(b) Rammed earth.
10. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
(a) None - the dragon has eaten them all.
11. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
(a) Bofur and Bombur.
(b) Dwalin and Balin.
(c) Fili and Kili.
(d) Bilbo and the Master.
12. Why is Bard astonished when the thrush lands on his shoulder?
(a) He can understand its speech.
(b) The thrush is the emblem on his family coat of arms.
(c) He thought all the thrushes in the area had been killed by the dragon.
(d) He believes the thrush is a spy of the dragon's sent to distract his aim.
13. How long do the dwarves and Bilbo stay in Laketown?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) We are not told.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Two days.
14. How does the Elvenking react to the sight of the Arkenstone?
(a) He is consumed by lust for the gem and is willing to renounce the rest of the treasure if he can have the Arkenstone.
(b) He rejects Bilbo's offer as treacherous and ignoble, preferring instead to fight fairly for a share of the treasure.
(c) He is unimpressed by it.
(d) He is amazed by its beauty and questions Bilbo's right to give it to him.
15. What had Fili's barrel been used to carry before he escaped inside it?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
2. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
3. What is the full name of the grim-faced man who habitually predicts disasters like floods and poisoned fish?
4. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
5. What wound has Gandalf sustained during the Battle of the Five Armies?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)