|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
2. Which of the following does Thorin not threaten to do to Bilbo in Chapter 17?
(a) Stab him with his own elvish dagger.
(b) Throw him off the cliff.
(c) Shoot at his feet with arrows.
(d) Never be friends with him again.
3. How long do the dwarves and Bilbo stay in Laketown?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) We are not told.
(d) Two days.
4. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
(a) That the dragon is getting ready to come out and eat them.
(b) That the dragon is watching them from the side of the mountain.
(c) That the dragon is alive.
(d) That the dragon has set himself on fire.
5. Why is Bilbo unhappy during their stay in Laketown?
(a) He has a bad cold.
(b) He is suspicious about the possible motives of the Master.
(c) He does not like the food that the Lake-men offer them.
(d) He still wishes he was back in his hobbit-hole.
6. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Go back to Laketown and ask for more supplies and weapons.
(b) Try to capture one of the thrushes, crows or ravens and use its feathers as a disguise to sneak into the mountain through the Front Gate.
(c) Go into the mountain through the Front Gate using his magic ring.
(d) Talk to the thrushes and see if they know the secret of opening the door.
7. What does Bilbo most want to happen while the dwarves are preparing for a siege by the elves and Lakemen?
(a) He wants a peaceful resolution to the situation - and enough food
(b) He wants the armies to go away and leave them alone.
(c) He wants Gandalf to turn up and take him back to his hobbit hole again.
(d) He wants to steal away with his share of the treasure and leave the dwarves to fight the Lakemen over the rest.
8. What colors is Smaug?
(a) Red and black.
(b) Green and gold.
(c) Red and green.
(d) Red and gold.
9. Who attacks first and starts the war over the dragon gold?
(a) The goblins and wargs.
(b) The dwarves.
(c) The Lakemen.
(d) The elves.
10. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
(a) His economic expertise.
(b) His knowledge of the Elvish languages.
(c) His excellent memory and people skills.
(d) His love of old songs.
11. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
(a) They believe that the dragon does not exist.
(b) They believe that the dragon is harmless and even friendly.
(c) They believe that Thorin is not the rightful King Under the Mountain.
(d) They believe that the river will flow with gold once the King Under the Mountain returns.
12. Why do the people of Lake-town destroy the bridges as a defense against the onslaught of the dragon?
(a) The bridges are the only part of the town that is vulnerable to dragon-fire.
(b) The dragon can then only attack them from the air (which makes him vulnerable to arrows) or have his fire quenched by the cold water of the lake.
(c) They are attempting to fool the dragon into thinking they have left the town.
(d) The Master ordered them to do so in the hopes that his rival, Bard, would be killed.
13. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
(a) Bofur and Bombur.
(b) Dwalin and Balin.
(c) Bilbo and the Master.
(d) Fili and Kili.
14. Why does Smaug react with such great fury in Chapter 12?
(a) He is hungry after his long sleep and his hunger infuriates him.
(b) He smells the dwarves and realizes that they are coming to kill him.
(c) He is extremely disturbed by his nightmare.
(d) He is outraged that someone has dared to steal from him.
15. In Chapter 12, who volunteers to come some of the way down the tunnel with Bilbo?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds the 'doorstep' of the secret door in Chapter 11?
2. What is the most common building material used in Laketown?
3. What is the other name for the Arkenstone?
4. Which of the following does Bard not use as a reason why the dwarves should share the treasure with the people of Laketown?
5. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)