|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many goblins grab Bilbo?
(b) None - Bilbo escapes.
2. What is the other name for Rivendell?
(a) The Hidden Valley.
(b) The Last Homely House.
(c) The Edge of the Wild.
(d) The Valley of the Elves.
3. Why do the goblins not find Bilbo after he is knocked unconscious?
(a) They see him, but do not bother with him.
(b) He is lying quietly in a dark corner.
(c) They have all been killed by Gandalf's magic.
(d) The are too busy looking at the dwarves and Gandalf.
4. What animals does Bilbo sense as he wanders through the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
(a) None - the goblins have eaten everything alive.
5. What is the goblin name for Thorin's sword?
6. How does Beorn find out that Gandalf's story is true?
(a) The Lord of the Eagles tells him.
(b) He finds the burnt wolf-glade and also forces a captive warg and goblin to tell him.
(c) He finds the dead body of the Great Goblin.
(d) His bees bring him the news.
7. What is obviously magical about Gandalf's sword Glamdring (Foe-hammer)?
(a) It burns blue when goblins are nearby.
(b) It emits a high-pitched screeching sound when it kills goblins.
(c) It becomes invisible when the owner is in danger.
(d) It cannot be taken out of the owner's hand unless the owner is killed.
8. Why does Bombur fall into the enchanted river?
(a) Dwalin knocks him in accidentally.
(b) A deer knocks him in.
(c) He is too fat and clumsy to jump out of the boat without stumbling.
(d) The boat starts floating downstream so he jumps into the water.
9. What was the final fate of the ponies?
(a) The goblins ate them.
(b) They escaped back to Rivendell.
(c) They starved to death.
(d) The goblins used them to draw carts in the mines.
10. What nearly gives Bilbo's presence away to the men steering the barrels in spite of the invisibility conferred on him by the ring?
(a) He bumps into the men quite frequently.
(b) His wet footprints and his sneezing.
(c) His shadow in the torchlight.
(d) His weight presses the barrels lower in the water.
11. What animals do the adventurers see quite frequently in the early stages of their journey through Mirkwood?
(a) Black squirrels.
(b) Wild boars.
(d) Poisonous snakes.
12. Which of the following is not a change that the adventurers notice after encountering the hunt and the white deer?
(a) They start to see and hear birds in the branches above them.
(b) They see autumn leaves beginning to fall from the trees.
(c) They begin to hear singing and laughter in the distance.
(d) The shadows in the forest do not seem as deep or dark.
13. Who carries Bilbo at first as they try to escape from the mines after Gandalf kills the Great Goblin?
14. Which dwarf has a smoke-ring blowing competition or game with Gandalf?
15. Which dwarf puts up the most fight when the trolls try to capture him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bilbo not tell the dwarves about his adventures inside the tunnels?
2. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
3. What light are the adventurers using to guide them inside the tunnels in Chapter 4?
4. Which dwarves are the best at lighting fires?
5. Which pair of dwarves are the youngest?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)