|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Beorn react to the dwarves' talk of gold, silver and jewels?
(a) He ignores them, as he has no interest in treasures.
(b) He is intrigued and starts becoming greedy for a share of the treasure.
(c) He is angry and perplexed at their greed.
(d) He is amazed at the skill the dwarves talk about.
2. What does Bilbo try to steal from the trolls?
(a) A jug of beer.
(b) A pony.
(c) A dagger.
(d) A purse.
3. Whose hood and cloak does Bilbo borrow?
4. What weapons do the Wood Elves use when they take the dwarves prisoner?
(a) They freeze the dwarves with their magical powers.
(b) Swords and daggers.
(c) Whips and clubs.
(d) Bows and spears.
5. What is the Elf King's crown made of during autumn (fall)?
(a) Silver and white gems.
(b) Berries and red leaves.
(c) Gold and emeralds.
(d) Oak leaves and acorns.
6. On what day does Elrond read the runes on the swords and on the map?
(a) The autumn equinox.
(b) Midsummer's Eve.
(c) Bilbo's birthday.
(d) Midsummer morning.
7. Why don't the adventurers drink from the black stream in the middle of Mirkwood?
(a) They are more interested in getting across it.
(b) It flows too fast to be safe if they stand on the brink and try to fill their waterskins.
(c) It looks poisonous and unhealthy.
(d) Beorn had warned them that the water was enchanted.
8. What does Bilbo learn about his sword in Chapter 5?
(a) It helps him see in the dark.
(b) It acts as a compass so he does not lose his sense of direction.
(c) It is an elvish blade like Glamdring and Orcrist.
(d) He can use it like a match to make fire.
9. How does Bilbo kill the spiders who have captured the dwarves in their webs?
(a) He uses strands of their own webs to make nooses and strangles them.
(b) He stabs them stealthily with Sting.
(c) He throws stones at them.
(d) He enrages them so much that they fall out of their trees to their deaths.
10. How does the forest catch on fire in Chapter 6?
(a) The goblins light it deliberately to kill the adventurers.
(b) The wargs spread it accidentally after Gandalf sets their coats alight.
(c) Gandalf lights the fire to attract the attention of the eagles.
(d) A dead tree is hit by summer lightning.
11. Where does Bilbo hide while the trolls are fighting and arguing?
(a) In a bush.
(b) In the trolls' cave.
(c) In a tree trunk.
(d) Under a sack.
12. What nearly gives Bilbo's presence away to the men steering the barrels in spite of the invisibility conferred on him by the ring?
(a) His shadow in the torchlight.
(b) He bumps into the men quite frequently.
(c) His weight presses the barrels lower in the water.
(d) His wet footprints and his sneezing.
13. Who does Bilbo see first after escaping Gollum and the dark tunnels?
14. What is the answer to Bilbo's first riddle?
(b) The wind.
(c) White horses.
(d) A mountain.
15. Which troll catches Bilbo in Chapter 2?
(d) All three of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals does Bilbo sense as he wanders through the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
2. What animals set up the dinner table and light the lamps in Beorn's hall?
3. What first alerts the Lord of the Eagles to the events in the wood?
4. What is the name of the inn where the dwarves meet Bilbo in Chapter 2?
5. Where are the elves hiding when they sing nonsense songs to welcome the adventurers to Rivendell?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)