|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What musical instrument does Thorin Oakenshield play?
(a) A fiddle.
(b) A harp.
(c) A clarinet.
(d) A flute.
2. What is the Elf King's crown made of during autumn (fall)?
(a) Oak leaves and acorns.
(b) Gold and emeralds.
(c) Silver and white gems.
(d) Berries and red leaves.
3. What sort of elves have taken Thorin prisoner?
(a) Light Elves.
(b) Sea Elves.
(c) Deep Elves.
(d) Wood Elves.
4. What is mostly transported by river inside the barrels from the people of Laketown to the Wood Elves?
5. Why don't the adventurers drink from the black stream in the middle of Mirkwood?
(a) Beorn had warned them that the water was enchanted.
(b) It looks poisonous and unhealthy.
(c) They are more interested in getting across it.
(d) It flows too fast to be safe if they stand on the brink and try to fill their waterskins.
6. What colors of flame does Gandalf use to drive the wolves back with?
(a) Green, black and white.
(b) Blue, red and green.
(c) Blue, white and purple.
(d) Red, yellow and orange.
7. Which of the following is not a hazard that needs to be avoided in the path leading to Rivendell?
(a) Avalanches and rock falls.
(b) A very narrow bridge over a swift-flowing stream.
(c) Deceptively green bogs.
(d) Steep slopes and deep ravines.
8. Which dwarf has a smoke-ring blowing competition or game with Gandalf?
9. What does Gloin say about Bilbo that enrages Bilbo so much that he overcomes his fears and joins the adventurers?
(a) More like a grocer than a burglar.
(b) Our friend and fellow conspirator.
(c) As fierce as a dragon in a pinch.
(d) Little fellow bobbing on the mat.
10. What color is Bilbo's front door into his hobbit hole?
11. What nearly gives Bilbo's presence away to the men steering the barrels in spite of the invisibility conferred on him by the ring?
(a) He bumps into the men quite frequently.
(b) His shadow in the torchlight.
(c) His wet footprints and his sneezing.
(d) His weight presses the barrels lower in the water.
12. What does Bilbo think the eagles will do to him at first?
(a) He is afraid they will drop him over the edge of their eyrie.
(b) He thinks they will give him back to the goblins.
(c) He hopes that they will give him a meal.
(d) He thinks they plan to eat him.
13. Who found the cave in Chapter 4?
(a) Fili and Kili.
(b) Balin and Dwalin.
(c) Gandalf and Bilbo.
(d) Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
14. What is the weak point in Bilbo's plan of escape from the elves?
(a) He forgot to leave air-holes so the dwarves could breathe through.
(b) He forgot that the elves would notice that the barrels were still full.
(c) He forgot that he had nobody to pack him inside a barrel.
(d) He forgot that he couldn't swim.
15. Why does Bombur fall into the enchanted river?
(a) Dwalin knocks him in accidentally.
(b) A deer knocks him in.
(c) The boat starts floating downstream so he jumps into the water.
(d) He is too fat and clumsy to jump out of the boat without stumbling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which dwarf puts up the most fight when the trolls try to capture him?
2. How many goblins grab Bilbo?
3. What is another name for the Dwarves' New Year?
4. What color is Thorin's hood?
5. What phase of the moon is showing when Elrond studies the map?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)