|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thorin use as a weapon against the trolls in Chapter 2?
(a) A dagger.
(b) A branch torn off a tree.
(c) A cauldron of boiling water.
(d) A burning branch from the fire.
2. What sort of drink does Gandalf ask Bilbo to get him in Chapter 1?
(d) Red wine.
3. What light are the adventurers using to guide them inside the tunnels in Chapter 4?
(a) A torch dropped by a goblin when Thorin killed one.
(b) A strange green glow given off by Gandalf's smoke rings.
(c) The magical light given off by Orcrist and Glamdring when goblins are nearby.
(d) The magical glow on Gandalf's staff.
4. What weapons do the Wood Elves use when they take the dwarves prisoner?
(a) Bows and spears.
(b) Swords and daggers.
(c) They freeze the dwarves with their magical powers.
(d) Whips and clubs.
5. What first alerts the Lord of the Eagles to the events in the wood?
(a) A magical message from Gandalf.
(b) The howling of the wolves.
(c) The line of goblin soldiers marching towards the forest.
(d) The flames in the forest.
6. On what day does Elrond read the runes on the swords and on the map?
(a) Midsummer morning.
(b) Bilbo's birthday.
(c) The autumn equinox.
(d) Midsummer's Eve.
7. Who is the first dwarf to arrive at Bilbo's house in Chapter 1?
8. What reward do the dwarves give to the eagles at the end of the adventures?
(a) A golden crown for the Lord of Eagles and golden collars for his fifteen chieftans.
(b) Specially designed spurs of steel that will help them fight agains the goblins better.
(c) A wagon load of silver and gold.
(d) A magnificent necklace set with rubies and emeralds.
9. How many goblins grab Bilbo?
(a) None - Bilbo escapes.
10. What does Elrond dislike about dwarves?
(a) Their singing.
(b) Their love of gold.
(c) Their long beards.
(d) Their cruelty and wickedness towards dragons.
11. Who is supposed to ride in the boat with Bombur?
12. What does Bilbo not tell the dwarves about his adventures inside the tunnels?
(a) That his little sword is an elvish blade like Glamdring and Orcrist.
(b) That Gollum wanted to eat him if he lost the riddle contest.
(c) That he had pity on Gollum and did not kill him when he had the chance.
(d) That he now has a ring that makes him invisible when he puts it on.
13. What colors of flame does Gandalf use to drive the wolves back with?
(a) Blue, white and purple.
(b) Blue, red and green.
(c) Red, yellow and orange.
(d) Green, black and white.
14. What does Bilbo take from the trolls' hoard of loot?
(a) A knife big enough to serve him as a short sword.
(b) A large, clumsy key.
(c) A long beautiful sword in a jewelled scabbard.
(d) A pot full of gold coins.
15. What is the name of the inn where the dwarves meet Bilbo in Chapter 2?
(a) The Bridge and Bottle.
(b) The Golden Perch.
(c) The Green Dragon.
(d) The Prancing Pony.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a hazard that needs to be avoided in the path leading to Rivendell?
2. What color is Bilbo's front door into his hobbit hole?
3. What do the goblins use to beat time while they sing?
4. What does Bilbo find on the floor in Chapter 5?
5. What game or sport was accidentally invented by Bilbo's ancestor Bullroarer Took?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)