|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following devices do the goblins not make (or have made for them)?
(b) Instruments of torture.
2. Which dwarf puts up the most fight when the trolls try to capture him?
3. Why does Bombur fall into the enchanted river?
(a) He is too fat and clumsy to jump out of the boat without stumbling.
(b) A deer knocks him in.
(c) Dwalin knocks him in accidentally.
(d) The boat starts floating downstream so he jumps into the water.
4. What special ability does Beorn have?
(a) He can hunt any animal alive with his bare hands.
(b) He can lift rocks as big as the Carrock.
(c) He can handle bees without being stung.
(d) He can change from a man into a black bear.
5. What reward do the dwarves give to the eagles at the end of the adventures?
(a) A magnificent necklace set with rubies and emeralds.
(b) Specially designed spurs of steel that will help them fight agains the goblins better.
(c) A wagon load of silver and gold.
(d) A golden crown for the Lord of Eagles and golden collars for his fifteen chieftans.
6. Where are the elves hiding when they sing nonsense songs to welcome the adventurers to Rivendell?
(a) On the roof of Rivendell.
(b) Beside the stream.
(c) In trees beside the path.
(d) Under the narrow stone bridge.
7. What is the English translation for the names of the swords (Orcrist and Glamdring) that Thorin and Gandalf now own?
(a) Goblin-cleaver and Foe-hammer.
(b) Warhammer and Dragonslayer.
(c) Truefriend and Goblin-hammer.
(d) Tailbiter and Flame of the West.
8. What was the name of Bilbo's mother?
(a) Lobelia Sackville-Baggins.
(b) Bluebell Belladonna.
(c) Rosemary Took.
(d) Belladonna Took.
9. What small creatures does Bilbo find at the top of the oak tree in Chapter 8?
(a) Centipedes and earwigs.
(b) Squirrels and sparrows.
(c) Black butterflies and spiders.
(d) Moths and caterpillars.
10. After they have defeated the spiders, who do the adventurers discover is missing?
11. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
(a) Committing suicide.
(b) Promising the Elvenking a share of the treasure.
(c) Telling the Elvenking about the quest and the treasure.
(d) Swearing to become a slave of the elves for the rest of his life.
12. In Chapter 9, with whom does the chief guard get drunk?
(a) The Elf King.
(b) The other guards.
(c) The men who guided the barrels up the river.
(d) The king's butler.
13. What will happen if Bilbo loses the riddle contest?
(a) Gollum will hand him over to the goblins in return for food.
(b) Gollum will eat him.
(c) Bilbo will become Gollum's slave.
(d) He will have to give the ring back to Gollum.
14. What was the name of the town of Men that was under the shadow of the Lonely Mountain until the dragon came and destroyed it?
15. What animals do the adventurers see quite frequently in the early stages of their journey through Mirkwood?
(a) Poisonous snakes.
(b) Black squirrels.
(d) Wild boars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game or sport was accidentally invented by Bilbo's ancestor Bullroarer Took?
2. What colors of flame does Gandalf use to drive the wolves back with?
3. What animals set up the dinner table and light the lamps in Beorn's hall?
4. Who does Bilbo see first after escaping Gollum and the dark tunnels?
5. What is the name of the inn where the dwarves meet Bilbo in Chapter 2?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)