|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't the dwarves hear the goblins coming?
(a) The goblins have made themselves invisible.
(b) The goblins are wearing soft shoes.
(c) The dwarves are talking too loudly.
(d) The echoes inside the caves are too confusing.
2. How does Beorn find out that Gandalf's story is true?
(a) The Lord of the Eagles tells him.
(b) He finds the burnt wolf-glade and also forces a captive warg and goblin to tell him.
(c) He finds the dead body of the Great Goblin.
(d) His bees bring him the news.
3. What is the name of the elvenking's butler?
4. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
(a) Swearing to become a slave of the elves for the rest of his life.
(b) Promising the Elvenking a share of the treasure.
(c) Telling the Elvenking about the quest and the treasure.
(d) Committing suicide.
5. What reward do the dwarves give to the eagles at the end of the adventures?
(a) Specially designed spurs of steel that will help them fight agains the goblins better.
(b) A wagon load of silver and gold.
(c) A magnificent necklace set with rubies and emeralds.
(d) A golden crown for the Lord of Eagles and golden collars for his fifteen chieftans.
6. What type of enchantments is Gandalf especially good at?
(a) Fire and lights.
(b) Prophecy and pathfinding.
(c) Illusions and turning his enemies to stone.
(d) Calling down lightning and thunder.
7. Why is the magic ring unable to protect the wearer from the wargs?
(a) Wargs can find the wearer by their sense of smell.
(b) Wargs have especially keen hearing.
(c) Wargs are magical, and the ring does not work on them.
(d) Wargs can still see the wearer's shadow, even by moonlight.
8. How does Bilbo kill the spiders who have captured the dwarves in their webs?
(a) He stabs them stealthily with Sting.
(b) He throws stones at them.
(c) He uses strands of their own webs to make nooses and strangles them.
(d) He enrages them so much that they fall out of their trees to their deaths.
9. How does Beorn react to the dwarves' talk of gold, silver and jewels?
(a) He is amazed at the skill the dwarves talk about.
(b) He is intrigued and starts becoming greedy for a share of the treasure.
(c) He is angry and perplexed at their greed.
(d) He ignores them, as he has no interest in treasures.
10. What is the English translation for the names of the swords (Orcrist and Glamdring) that Thorin and Gandalf now own?
(a) Truefriend and Goblin-hammer.
(b) Goblin-cleaver and Foe-hammer.
(c) Tailbiter and Flame of the West.
(d) Warhammer and Dragonslayer.
11. What does Bilbo try to steal from the trolls?
(a) A purse.
(b) A pony.
(c) A dagger.
(d) A jug of beer.
12. What do the goblins use to beat time while they sing?
(a) Footsteps and whips.
(b) Drums and gongs.
(c) Hammers and tongs.
(d) Cymbals and tamborines.
13. What foodstuffs do the adventurers take from the troll's cave for breakfast?
(a) Bacon, beer, rabbit pie, and apples.
(b) Ale, bread, cheese and bacon.
(c) Mutton bones, mince pies and sausages.
(d) Cheese, eggs, sausages, and tomatoes.
14. Who is carrying Bilbo when the goblins find them for the second time?
15. Where were Glamdring and Orcrist originally forged?
(a) In Thror's kingdom that was destroyed by the dragon.
(b) In Rivendell itself.
(c) In the ancient elvish kingdom of Gondolin.
(d) In the Mines of Moria.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does Elrond read the runes on the swords and on the map?
2. What is unusual or rare about Elrond's ancestry?
3. What light are the adventurers using to guide them inside the tunnels in Chapter 4?
4. Which of the following does not happen when one of the adventurers steps into the ring of lights surrounding the elves' feast?
5. What does Bilbo eat for breakfast when he wakes up in the eagles' eyrie?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)