|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nearly gives Bilbo's presence away to the men steering the barrels in spite of the invisibility conferred on him by the ring?
(a) His shadow in the torchlight.
(b) He bumps into the men quite frequently.
(c) His weight presses the barrels lower in the water.
(d) His wet footprints and his sneezing.
2. What is "never thirsty, ever drinking/All in mail never clinking?"
(a) Gollum's grandmother.
(b) The skeleton of a drowned knight.
(d) A fish.
3. What was the name of the town of Men that was under the shadow of the Lonely Mountain until the dragon came and destroyed it?
4. Who found the cave in Chapter 4?
(a) Gandalf and Bilbo.
(b) Balin and Dwalin.
(c) Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
(d) Fili and Kili.
5. What will happen if Bilbo loses the riddle contest?
(a) Gollum will hand him over to the goblins in return for food.
(b) He will have to give the ring back to Gollum.
(c) Gollum will eat him.
(d) Bilbo will become Gollum's slave.
6. In Chapter 9, with whom does the chief guard get drunk?
(a) The other guards.
(b) The Elf King.
(c) The men who guided the barrels up the river.
(d) The king's butler.
7. What does Gollum call the ring?
(a) My special secret.
(b) My hiding place.
(c) My birthday present.
(d) My precious.
8. What prediction of Gandalf's comes true in Chapter 9?
(a) They came to disaster when they left the path in Mirkwood.
(b) The dwarves have learned to trust Bilbo to save them.
(c) They will be unable to reach the Lonely Mountain by Durin's Day.
(d) They will have to abandon their quest and return to digging coal.
9. What animals do the adventurers see quite frequently in the early stages of their journey through Mirkwood?
(a) Poisonous snakes.
(b) Black squirrels.
(d) Wild boars.
10. What is the answer to Bilbo's first riddle?
(b) White horses.
(c) The wind.
(d) A mountain.
11. What question of Balin's enraged the Elvenking?
(a) Balin asks if the elves know anything about Smaug's treasure.
(b) Balin asks what has happened to Thorin.
(c) Balin asks the Elvenking for food and drink before being set free.
(d) Balin asks if the spiders are the elves' pets.
12. Which of the following is not a hazard that needs to be avoided in the path leading to Rivendell?
(a) Deceptively green bogs.
(b) Avalanches and rock falls.
(c) A very narrow bridge over a swift-flowing stream.
(d) Steep slopes and deep ravines.
13. What is Beorn doing when Gandalf and Bilbo arrive at his house?
(a) Extracting honey from his hives.
(b) Shearing sheep.
(c) Chopping wood.
(d) Churning butter.
14. What colors of flame does Gandalf use to drive the wolves back with?
(a) Blue, white and purple.
(b) Blue, red and green.
(c) Red, yellow and orange.
(d) Green, black and white.
15. What does Bilbo not tell the dwarves about his adventures inside the tunnels?
(a) That he now has a ring that makes him invisible when he puts it on.
(b) That Gollum wanted to eat him if he lost the riddle contest.
(c) That he had pity on Gollum and did not kill him when he had the chance.
(d) That his little sword is an elvish blade like Glamdring and Orcrist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What first alerts the Lord of the Eagles to the events in the wood?
2. What animals does Bilbo sense as he wanders through the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
3. What sort of drink does Gandalf ask Bilbo to get him in Chapter 1?
4. What does Bilbo think the eagles will do to him at first?
5. Where does Bilbo hide while the trolls are fighting and arguing?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)