|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bilbo's handwriting look like?
(a) Crabbed and rather clumsy.
(b) Cunning and cryptic.
(c) Thin and spidery.
(d) Flowing and beautiful.
2. What reward do the dwarves give to the eagles at the end of the adventures?
(a) A golden crown for the Lord of Eagles and golden collars for his fifteen chieftans.
(b) Specially designed spurs of steel that will help them fight agains the goblins better.
(c) A magnificent necklace set with rubies and emeralds.
(d) A wagon load of silver and gold.
3. Who is the first dwarf to arrive at Bilbo's house in Chapter 1?
4. What stops Bilbo from going forward in the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
(a) He hears goblins going fishing.
(b) He comes to the edge of a subterranean lake.
(c) Gollum catches him.
(d) He blunders into a dead end.
5. What is Beorn doing when Gandalf and Bilbo arrive at his house?
(a) Chopping wood.
(b) Shearing sheep.
(c) Extracting honey from his hives.
(d) Churning butter.
6. After they have defeated the spiders, who do the adventurers discover is missing?
7. What does Thorin use as a weapon against the trolls in Chapter 2?
(a) A burning branch from the fire.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A branch torn off a tree.
(d) A cauldron of boiling water.
8. Whose hood and cloak does Bilbo borrow?
9. What is mostly transported by river inside the barrels from the people of Laketown to the Wood Elves?
10. How does Bilbo kill the spiders who have captured the dwarves in their webs?
(a) He stabs them stealthily with Sting.
(b) He throws stones at them.
(c) He enrages them so much that they fall out of their trees to their deaths.
(d) He uses strands of their own webs to make nooses and strangles them.
11. What does Gollum call the ring?
(a) My special secret.
(b) My hiding place.
(c) My precious.
(d) My birthday present.
12. How many goblins grab Bilbo?
(a) None - Bilbo escapes.
13. Who made the map that Gandalf gives to Thorin?
(a) The Necromancer.
14. What sort of drink does Gandalf ask Bilbo to get him in Chapter 1?
(a) Red wine.
15. What does Bilbo see at nightfall as they travel towards Mirkwood?
(a) Wargs and goblins trying to sneak past Beorn's borders.
(b) Spies and servants of the Necromancer.
(c) The borrowed ponies trying to escape.
(d) A great black bear (Beorn in his animal shape) following them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weather forces the adventurers to seek shelter in a cave in Chapter 4?
2. What is the other name for Rivendell?
3. Who is the first to see the lights from the elves' feast?
4. In Chapter 9, with whom does the chief guard get drunk?
5. Why do the goblins not find Bilbo after he is knocked unconscious?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)