|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
(a) Telling the Elvenking about the quest and the treasure.
(b) Committing suicide.
(c) Promising the Elvenking a share of the treasure.
(d) Swearing to become a slave of the elves for the rest of his life.
2. What type of enchantments is Gandalf especially good at?
(a) Calling down lightning and thunder.
(b) Prophecy and pathfinding.
(c) Fire and lights.
(d) Illusions and turning his enemies to stone.
3. What is the name of the elvenking's butler?
4. What is unusual or rare about Elrond's ancestry?
(a) He is half elf and half human.
(b) He is half human and half goblin.
(c) He is half elf and half goblin.
(d) He is half human and half hobbit.
5. What weather forces the adventurers to seek shelter in a cave in Chapter 4?
(a) A blizzard.
(b) Hail and sleet.
(c) A hurricane.
(d) A thunderstorm.
6. What do the goblins use to beat time while they sing?
(a) Cymbals and tamborines.
(b) Drums and gongs.
(c) Footsteps and whips.
(d) Hammers and tongs.
7. What does Bilbo try to steal from the trolls?
(a) A jug of beer.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A purse.
(d) A pony.
8. What is Beorn doing when Gandalf and Bilbo arrive at his house?
(a) Churning butter.
(b) Chopping wood.
(c) Shearing sheep.
(d) Extracting honey from his hives.
9. Which of the following does not happen when one of the adventurers steps into the ring of lights surrounding the elves' feast?
(a) The lights magically go out.
(b) The fire erupts in a shower of sparks.
(c) The adventurers become confused and disoriented.
(d) The elves begin singing an eerie tune.
10. What happened outside Beorn's hall on the first night the adventurers stayed there?
(a) Beorn and other bears held a meeting and a dance.
(b) Beorn had a great battle against a pack of Wargs.
(c) Beorn and Gandalf talked all night on top of the Carrock.
(d) Beorn, in bear-shape, tried to kill the adventurers.
11. What is Gandalf's last piece of advice before he leaves the dwarves and Bilbo?
(a) Don't leave the path.
(b) Keep going straight ahead, no matter what happens.
(c) You must either go through or give up the quest.
(d) Don't go near the Necromancer's tower.
12. What does Gollum call the ring?
(a) My precious.
(b) My special secret.
(c) My birthday present.
(d) My hiding place.
13. Which dwarves are the best at lighting fires?
(a) Oin and Gloin.
(b) Kili and Fili.
(c) Nori and Ori.
(d) Bifur and Bofur.
14. How many goblins grab Bilbo?
(b) None - Bilbo escapes.
15. How does Bilbo kill the spiders who have captured the dwarves in their webs?
(a) He stabs them stealthily with Sting.
(b) He throws stones at them.
(c) He enrages them so much that they fall out of their trees to their deaths.
(d) He uses strands of their own webs to make nooses and strangles them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Gandalf's cousin?
2. Where are the elves hiding when they sing nonsense songs to welcome the adventurers to Rivendell?
3. Which pair of dwarves are the youngest?
4. Why did the wargs come to the clearing where the adventurers were?
5. What does Bilbo learn about his sword in Chapter 5?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)