|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gollum call the ring?
(a) My precious.
(b) My special secret.
(c) My hiding place.
(d) My birthday present.
2. What does Bilbo think the eagles will do to him at first?
(a) He hopes that they will give him a meal.
(b) He thinks they will give him back to the goblins.
(c) He thinks they plan to eat him.
(d) He is afraid they will drop him over the edge of their eyrie.
3. After they have defeated the spiders, who do the adventurers discover is missing?
4. What does Gloin say about Bilbo that enrages Bilbo so much that he overcomes his fears and joins the adventurers?
(a) More like a grocer than a burglar.
(b) Our friend and fellow conspirator.
(c) As fierce as a dragon in a pinch.
(d) Little fellow bobbing on the mat.
5. What prediction of Gandalf's comes true in Chapter 9?
(a) The dwarves have learned to trust Bilbo to save them.
(b) They came to disaster when they left the path in Mirkwood.
(c) They will have to abandon their quest and return to digging coal.
(d) They will be unable to reach the Lonely Mountain by Durin's Day.
6. What cooking method do the trolls decide on first of all before Gandalf stirs up the argument again?
(a) Roasting the dwarves slowly.
(b) Sitting on them and squashing them.
(c) Mincing them and boiling them.
(d) Mincing them and making them into pies.
7. What is obviously magical about Gandalf's sword Glamdring (Foe-hammer)?
(a) It emits a high-pitched screeching sound when it kills goblins.
(b) It cannot be taken out of the owner's hand unless the owner is killed.
(c) It becomes invisible when the owner is in danger.
(d) It burns blue when goblins are nearby.
8. What is the goblin name for Thorin's sword?
9. What weather forces the adventurers to seek shelter in a cave in Chapter 4?
(a) Hail and sleet.
(b) A blizzard.
(c) A thunderstorm.
(d) A hurricane.
10. On what day does Elrond read the runes on the swords and on the map?
(a) Bilbo's birthday.
(b) Midsummer morning.
(c) Midsummer's Eve.
(d) The autumn equinox.
11. What is the other name for Rivendell?
(a) The Valley of the Elves.
(b) The Edge of the Wild.
(c) The Hidden Valley.
(d) The Last Homely House.
12. What will happen if Bilbo loses the riddle contest?
(a) Gollum will eat him.
(b) Bilbo will become Gollum's slave.
(c) Gollum will hand him over to the goblins in return for food.
(d) He will have to give the ring back to Gollum.
13. How does Gollum get from his island to the shore of the lake?
(a) He paddles a little boat.
(b) He rides on the back of blind fish.
(c) His ring helps him walk across the surface of the water.
(d) He swims, as he is an excellent swimmer.
14. Which pair of dwarves are the youngest?
(a) Dori and Nori.
(b) Oin and Gloin.
(c) Fili and Kili.
(d) Balin and Dwalin.
15. Who made the map that Gandalf gives to Thorin?
(d) The Necromancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical instrument does Thorin Oakenshield play?
2. Who carries Bilbo at first as they try to escape from the mines after Gandalf kills the Great Goblin?
3. What foodstuffs do the adventurers take from the troll's cave for breakfast?
4. Where are the elves hiding when they sing nonsense songs to welcome the adventurers to Rivendell?
5. Who found the cave in Chapter 4?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)