|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animals set up the dinner table and light the lamps in Beorn's hall?
(a) Ponies, dogs and sheep.
(b) Sheep, cattle and cats.
(c) Bears, boars and oxen.
(d) Bees, eagles and enslaved wolves.
2. What is the name of the inn where the dwarves meet Bilbo in Chapter 2?
(a) The Prancing Pony.
(b) The Golden Perch.
(c) The Green Dragon.
(d) The Bridge and Bottle.
3. Who is the first to see the lights from the elves' feast?
4. What does Gollum eat?
(a) Ponies and goblins.
(b) Fish and goblins.
(c) Fish and mushrooms.
(d) Bats and spiders.
5. Who is supposed to ride in the boat with Bombur?
6. Which of the following devices do the goblins not make (or have made for them)?
(a) Instruments of torture.
7. What was the name of the town of Men that was under the shadow of the Lonely Mountain until the dragon came and destroyed it?
8. Why does Bombur fall into the enchanted river?
(a) Dwalin knocks him in accidentally.
(b) The boat starts floating downstream so he jumps into the water.
(c) He is too fat and clumsy to jump out of the boat without stumbling.
(d) A deer knocks him in.
9. What does Bilbo see at nightfall as they travel towards Mirkwood?
(a) Spies and servants of the Necromancer.
(b) Wargs and goblins trying to sneak past Beorn's borders.
(c) A great black bear (Beorn in his animal shape) following them.
(d) The borrowed ponies trying to escape.
10. What does Bilbo take from the trolls' hoard of loot?
(a) A large, clumsy key.
(b) A pot full of gold coins.
(c) A knife big enough to serve him as a short sword.
(d) A long beautiful sword in a jewelled scabbard.
11. How does Gollum get from his island to the shore of the lake?
(a) He swims, as he is an excellent swimmer.
(b) He rides on the back of blind fish.
(c) He paddles a little boat.
(d) His ring helps him walk across the surface of the water.
12. What was the name of Bilbo's mother?
(a) Belladonna Took.
(b) Rosemary Took.
(c) Bluebell Belladonna.
(d) Lobelia Sackville-Baggins.
13. What does Bilbo eat for breakfast when he wakes up in the eagles' eyrie?
(a) Bread and water.
(b) Cold ham and apples.
(c) Bacon and eggs.
(d) Cold mutton and rabbit.
14. What is the other name for Rivendell?
(a) The Last Homely House.
(b) The Hidden Valley.
(c) The Edge of the Wild.
(d) The Valley of the Elves.
15. What does Elrond dislike about dwarves?
(a) Their singing.
(b) Their love of gold.
(c) Their long beards.
(d) Their cruelty and wickedness towards dragons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the answer to Bilbo's first riddle?
2. What is the Elf King's crown made of during autumn (fall)?
3. Who is carrying Bilbo when the goblins find them for the second time?
4. What will happen if Bilbo loses the riddle contest?
5. What is obviously magical about Gandalf's sword Glamdring (Foe-hammer)?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)