|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't the dwarves hear the goblins coming?
(a) The dwarves are talking too loudly.
(b) The echoes inside the caves are too confusing.
(c) The goblins have made themselves invisible.
(d) The goblins are wearing soft shoes.
2. What cooking method do the trolls decide on first of all before Gandalf stirs up the argument again?
(a) Mincing them and making them into pies.
(b) Sitting on them and squashing them.
(c) Roasting the dwarves slowly.
(d) Mincing them and boiling them.
3. What weapons do the Wood Elves use when they take the dwarves prisoner?
(a) Whips and clubs.
(b) They freeze the dwarves with their magical powers.
(c) Bows and spears.
(d) Swords and daggers.
4. What light are the adventurers using to guide them inside the tunnels in Chapter 4?
(a) A torch dropped by a goblin when Thorin killed one.
(b) The magical light given off by Orcrist and Glamdring when goblins are nearby.
(c) A strange green glow given off by Gandalf's smoke rings.
(d) The magical glow on Gandalf's staff.
5. Why did the wargs come to the clearing where the adventurers were?
(a) The wargs could smell the adventurers and came to hunt them.
(b) The goblins had sent the wargs to hunt down the adventurers.
(c) The wolves were running away from the woodsmen who had settled in the area.
(d) They were going to meet the goblins so they could go raiding together.
6. How does Beorn find out that Gandalf's story is true?
(a) He finds the burnt wolf-glade and also forces a captive warg and goblin to tell him.
(b) The Lord of the Eagles tells him.
(c) His bees bring him the news.
(d) He finds the dead body of the Great Goblin.
7. How does Gollum get from his island to the shore of the lake?
(a) His ring helps him walk across the surface of the water.
(b) He swims, as he is an excellent swimmer.
(c) He paddles a little boat.
(d) He rides on the back of blind fish.
8. Where are the elves hiding when they sing nonsense songs to welcome the adventurers to Rivendell?
(a) Under the narrow stone bridge.
(b) Beside the stream.
(c) On the roof of Rivendell.
(d) In trees beside the path.
9. What is the answer to Bilbo's first riddle?
(a) The wind.
(b) White horses.
(d) A mountain.
10. What is Beorn doing when Gandalf and Bilbo arrive at his house?
(a) Churning butter.
(b) Extracting honey from his hives.
(c) Shearing sheep.
(d) Chopping wood.
11. After they have defeated the spiders, who do the adventurers discover is missing?
12. Where did Gollum live before coming to the underground lake?
(a) Nowhere - he has always lived on his island.
(b) With his grandmother in a hole in a bank beside a river.
(c) On the top of a windy mountain.
(d) With the goblins, but he was banished after he ate one of them.
13. What does Bilbo learn about his sword in Chapter 5?
(a) It acts as a compass so he does not lose his sense of direction.
(b) He can use it like a match to make fire.
(c) It helps him see in the dark.
(d) It is an elvish blade like Glamdring and Orcrist.
14. What is the goblin name for Thorin's sword?
15. What does Gollum call the ring?
(a) My special secret.
(b) My precious.
(c) My hiding place.
(d) My birthday present.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of tree does Gandalf take refuge from the wargs in?
2. Why don't the adventurers drink from the black stream in the middle of Mirkwood?
3. Which dwarf has to come to Beorn's house alone?
4. On what day does Elrond read the runes on the swords and on the map?
5. What is the other name for Rivendell?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)