|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't the dwarves hear the goblins coming?
(a) The goblins are wearing soft shoes.
(b) The echoes inside the caves are too confusing.
(c) The goblins have made themselves invisible.
(d) The dwarves are talking too loudly.
2. Who does Bilbo see first after escaping Gollum and the dark tunnels?
3. What animals do the adventurers see quite frequently in the early stages of their journey through Mirkwood?
(a) Wild boars.
(b) Poisonous snakes.
(c) Black squirrels.
4. What is Gandalf's last piece of advice before he leaves the dwarves and Bilbo?
(a) You must either go through or give up the quest.
(b) Don't go near the Necromancer's tower.
(c) Don't leave the path.
(d) Keep going straight ahead, no matter what happens.
5. What does Bilbo learn about his sword in Chapter 5?
(a) It acts as a compass so he does not lose his sense of direction.
(b) It is an elvish blade like Glamdring and Orcrist.
(c) It helps him see in the dark.
(d) He can use it like a match to make fire.
6. Who is the first dwarf to arrive at Bilbo's house in Chapter 1?
7. What question of Balin's enraged the Elvenking?
(a) Balin asks the Elvenking for food and drink before being set free.
(b) Balin asks what has happened to Thorin.
(c) Balin asks if the spiders are the elves' pets.
(d) Balin asks if the elves know anything about Smaug's treasure.
8. What does Bilbo see at nightfall as they travel towards Mirkwood?
(a) Wargs and goblins trying to sneak past Beorn's borders.
(b) Spies and servants of the Necromancer.
(c) The borrowed ponies trying to escape.
(d) A great black bear (Beorn in his animal shape) following them.
9. Why are the dwarves glad to be captured by the elves (at first)?
(a) The elves have been friends with the dwarves for hundreds of years.
(b) They are starving, and the elves will give their prisoners food.
(c) They know that if they promise the elves a share of their treasure, they will be set free.
(d) They guess that the elves have taken Thorin prisoner and they want to be reunited with him.
10. Which of the following does not happen when one of the adventurers steps into the ring of lights surrounding the elves' feast?
(a) The fire erupts in a shower of sparks.
(b) The adventurers become confused and disoriented.
(c) The lights magically go out.
(d) The elves begin singing an eerie tune.
11. Who is carrying Bilbo when the goblins find them for the second time?
12. What was the name of Bilbo's mother?
(a) Belladonna Took.
(b) Lobelia Sackville-Baggins.
(c) Rosemary Took.
(d) Bluebell Belladonna.
13. How does Beorn react to the dwarves' talk of gold, silver and jewels?
(a) He ignores them, as he has no interest in treasures.
(b) He is amazed at the skill the dwarves talk about.
(c) He is intrigued and starts becoming greedy for a share of the treasure.
(d) He is angry and perplexed at their greed.
14. What does Thorin use as a weapon against the trolls in Chapter 2?
(a) A cauldron of boiling water.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A burning branch from the fire.
(d) A branch torn off a tree.
15. What cooking method do the trolls decide on first of all before Gandalf stirs up the argument again?
(a) Roasting the dwarves slowly.
(b) Mincing them and boiling them.
(c) Mincing them and making them into pies.
(d) Sitting on them and squashing them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phase of the moon is showing when Elrond studies the map?
2. What was the final fate of the ponies?
3. What is unusual or rare about Elrond's ancestry?
4. What does Bilbo eat for breakfast when he wakes up in the eagles' eyrie?
5. What does Bilbo find on the floor in Chapter 5?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)