|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bilbo kill the spiders who have captured the dwarves in their webs?
(a) He throws stones at them.
(b) He uses strands of their own webs to make nooses and strangles them.
(c) He stabs them stealthily with Sting.
(d) He enrages them so much that they fall out of their trees to their deaths.
2. Which dwarf has a smoke-ring blowing competition or game with Gandalf?
3. What does Bilbo think the eagles will do to him at first?
(a) He thinks they will give him back to the goblins.
(b) He thinks they plan to eat him.
(c) He hopes that they will give him a meal.
(d) He is afraid they will drop him over the edge of their eyrie.
4. What nearly gives Bilbo's presence away to the men steering the barrels in spite of the invisibility conferred on him by the ring?
(a) His weight presses the barrels lower in the water.
(b) His shadow in the torchlight.
(c) His wet footprints and his sneezing.
(d) He bumps into the men quite frequently.
5. What does Elrond dislike about dwarves?
(a) Their long beards.
(b) Their love of gold.
(c) Their cruelty and wickedness towards dragons.
(d) Their singing.
6. How does Bilbo find food while skulking around in the Elvenking's palace?
(a) He takes it out of the barrels sent to Esgaroth.
(b) He steals it from the stores or the table when nobody is looking.
(c) He slips out through the magic gates and goes hunting.
(d) He scrounges it off the rubbish heaps of the elves.
7. What is the name of the inn where the dwarves meet Bilbo in Chapter 2?
(a) The Green Dragon.
(b) The Bridge and Bottle.
(c) The Prancing Pony.
(d) The Golden Perch.
8. What prediction of Gandalf's comes true in Chapter 9?
(a) They will have to abandon their quest and return to digging coal.
(b) The dwarves have learned to trust Bilbo to save them.
(c) They came to disaster when they left the path in Mirkwood.
(d) They will be unable to reach the Lonely Mountain by Durin's Day.
9. What light are the adventurers using to guide them inside the tunnels in Chapter 4?
(a) A torch dropped by a goblin when Thorin killed one.
(b) The magical glow on Gandalf's staff.
(c) A strange green glow given off by Gandalf's smoke rings.
(d) The magical light given off by Orcrist and Glamdring when goblins are nearby.
10. What does Gloin say about Bilbo that enrages Bilbo so much that he overcomes his fears and joins the adventurers?
(a) Our friend and fellow conspirator.
(b) Little fellow bobbing on the mat.
(c) More like a grocer than a burglar.
(d) As fierce as a dragon in a pinch.
11. Who is supposed to ride in the boat with Bombur?
12. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
(a) Swearing to become a slave of the elves for the rest of his life.
(b) Promising the Elvenking a share of the treasure.
(c) Committing suicide.
(d) Telling the Elvenking about the quest and the treasure.
13. What do the goblins use to beat time while they sing?
(a) Hammers and tongs.
(b) Drums and gongs.
(c) Footsteps and whips.
(d) Cymbals and tamborines.
14. Where were Glamdring and Orcrist originally forged?
(a) In the Mines of Moria.
(b) In the ancient elvish kingdom of Gondolin.
(c) In Thror's kingdom that was destroyed by the dragon.
(d) In Rivendell itself.
15. What sort of elves have taken Thorin prisoner?
(a) Deep Elves.
(b) Sea Elves.
(c) Wood Elves.
(d) Light Elves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bilbo try to steal from the trolls?
2. Which dwarves are the best at lighting fires?
3. Whose hood and cloak does Bilbo borrow?
4. What does Bilbo's handwriting look like?
5. Who is carrying Bilbo when the goblins find them for the second time?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)