|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bilbo see first after escaping Gollum and the dark tunnels?
2. What animals set up the dinner table and light the lamps in Beorn's hall?
(a) Bears, boars and oxen.
(b) Bees, eagles and enslaved wolves.
(c) Ponies, dogs and sheep.
(d) Sheep, cattle and cats.
3. What do the goblins use to beat time while they sing?
(a) Hammers and tongs.
(b) Drums and gongs.
(c) Footsteps and whips.
(d) Cymbals and tamborines.
4. What foodstuffs do the adventurers take from the troll's cave for breakfast?
(a) Cheese, eggs, sausages, and tomatoes.
(b) Mutton bones, mince pies and sausages.
(c) Bacon, beer, rabbit pie, and apples.
(d) Ale, bread, cheese and bacon.
5. What is the name of Gandalf's cousin?
6. Who is the first dwarf to arrive at Bilbo's house in Chapter 1?
7. What does Gollum call the ring?
(a) My birthday present.
(b) My precious.
(c) My hiding place.
(d) My special secret.
8. Who found the cave in Chapter 4?
(a) Gandalf and Bilbo.
(b) Fili and Kili.
(c) Balin and Dwalin.
(d) Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
9. What day of the week was it when the adventurers were captured?
(a) Tuesday night (or Wednesday morning).
(b) Monday morning (or Sunday night).
(c) Monday night (or Tuesday morning).
(d) Thursday evening (or Thursday morning).
10. What does Bilbo eat for breakfast when he wakes up in the eagles' eyrie?
(a) Cold ham and apples.
(b) Bacon and eggs.
(c) Cold mutton and rabbit.
(d) Bread and water.
11. Where were Glamdring and Orcrist originally forged?
(a) In the Mines of Moria.
(b) In Thror's kingdom that was destroyed by the dragon.
(c) In the ancient elvish kingdom of Gondolin.
(d) In Rivendell itself.
12. Who made the map that Gandalf gives to Thorin?
(d) The Necromancer.
13. What is unusual or rare about Elrond's ancestry?
(a) He is half elf and half goblin.
(b) He is half elf and half human.
(c) He is half human and half hobbit.
(d) He is half human and half goblin.
14. How does Bilbo find food while skulking around in the Elvenking's palace?
(a) He scrounges it off the rubbish heaps of the elves.
(b) He steals it from the stores or the table when nobody is looking.
(c) He slips out through the magic gates and goes hunting.
(d) He takes it out of the barrels sent to Esgaroth.
15. Why do the goblins not find Bilbo after he is knocked unconscious?
(a) They have all been killed by Gandalf's magic.
(b) They see him, but do not bother with him.
(c) The are too busy looking at the dwarves and Gandalf.
(d) He is lying quietly in a dark corner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals does Bilbo sense as he wanders through the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
2. What type of enchantments is Gandalf especially good at?
3. Which of the following is not a change that the adventurers notice after encountering the hunt and the white deer?
4. What special ability does Beorn have?
5. Who is the first to see the lights from the elves' feast?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)