|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't the dwarves hear the goblins coming?
(a) The echoes inside the caves are too confusing.
(b) The goblins are wearing soft shoes.
(c) The dwarves are talking too loudly.
(d) The goblins have made themselves invisible.
2. Where were Glamdring and Orcrist originally forged?
(a) In the ancient elvish kingdom of Gondolin.
(b) In Thror's kingdom that was destroyed by the dragon.
(c) In the Mines of Moria.
(d) In Rivendell itself.
3. Where does Bilbo hide while the trolls are fighting and arguing?
(a) In a bush.
(b) Under a sack.
(c) In the trolls' cave.
(d) In a tree trunk.
4. What nearly gives Bilbo's presence away to the men steering the barrels in spite of the invisibility conferred on him by the ring?
(a) He bumps into the men quite frequently.
(b) His shadow in the torchlight.
(c) His wet footprints and his sneezing.
(d) His weight presses the barrels lower in the water.
5. What sort of elves have taken Thorin prisoner?
(a) Deep Elves.
(b) Wood Elves.
(c) Light Elves.
(d) Sea Elves.
6. What does Bilbo see at nightfall as they travel towards Mirkwood?
(a) A great black bear (Beorn in his animal shape) following them.
(b) Wargs and goblins trying to sneak past Beorn's borders.
(c) The borrowed ponies trying to escape.
(d) Spies and servants of the Necromancer.
7. What musical instrument does Thorin Oakenshield play?
(a) A fiddle.
(b) A clarinet.
(c) A flute.
(d) A harp.
8. What does Elrond dislike about dwarves?
(a) Their cruelty and wickedness towards dragons.
(b) Their singing.
(c) Their long beards.
(d) Their love of gold.
9. How does Bilbo kill the spiders who have captured the dwarves in their webs?
(a) He throws stones at them.
(b) He stabs them stealthily with Sting.
(c) He uses strands of their own webs to make nooses and strangles them.
(d) He enrages them so much that they fall out of their trees to their deaths.
10. What is Gandalf's last piece of advice before he leaves the dwarves and Bilbo?
(a) Don't go near the Necromancer's tower.
(b) Keep going straight ahead, no matter what happens.
(c) Don't leave the path.
(d) You must either go through or give up the quest.
11. What will happen if Bilbo loses the riddle contest?
(a) Bilbo will become Gollum's slave.
(b) He will have to give the ring back to Gollum.
(c) Gollum will hand him over to the goblins in return for food.
(d) Gollum will eat him.
12. Why don't the adventurers drink from the black stream in the middle of Mirkwood?
(a) They are more interested in getting across it.
(b) It flows too fast to be safe if they stand on the brink and try to fill their waterskins.
(c) Beorn had warned them that the water was enchanted.
(d) It looks poisonous and unhealthy.
13. What does Bilbo try to steal from the trolls?
(a) A pony.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A jug of beer.
(d) A purse.
14. In Chapter 9, with whom does the chief guard get drunk?
(a) The Elf King.
(b) The other guards.
(c) The men who guided the barrels up the river.
(d) The king's butler.
15. What color is Thorin's hood?
(a) Sky blue.
(c) Yellow and orange.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals does Bilbo sense as he wanders through the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
2. What is the goblin name for Thorin's sword?
3. Who is carrying Bilbo when the goblins find them for the second time?
4. What was the name of the town of Men that was under the shadow of the Lonely Mountain until the dragon came and destroyed it?
5. Which dwarves are the best at lighting fires?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)