|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bilbo see first after escaping Gollum and the dark tunnels?
2. In Chapter 9, with whom does the chief guard get drunk?
(a) The king's butler.
(b) The men who guided the barrels up the river.
(c) The other guards.
(d) The Elf King.
3. How does Bilbo kill the spiders who have captured the dwarves in their webs?
(a) He enrages them so much that they fall out of their trees to their deaths.
(b) He stabs them stealthily with Sting.
(c) He throws stones at them.
(d) He uses strands of their own webs to make nooses and strangles them.
4. What happened outside Beorn's hall on the first night the adventurers stayed there?
(a) Beorn and other bears held a meeting and a dance.
(b) Beorn and Gandalf talked all night on top of the Carrock.
(c) Beorn, in bear-shape, tried to kill the adventurers.
(d) Beorn had a great battle against a pack of Wargs.
5. Where are the elves hiding when they sing nonsense songs to welcome the adventurers to Rivendell?
(a) In trees beside the path.
(b) Under the narrow stone bridge.
(c) On the roof of Rivendell.
(d) Beside the stream.
6. Which dwarf puts up the most fight when the trolls try to capture him?
7. What animals set up the dinner table and light the lamps in Beorn's hall?
(a) Ponies, dogs and sheep.
(b) Sheep, cattle and cats.
(c) Bees, eagles and enslaved wolves.
(d) Bears, boars and oxen.
8. Who is supposed to ride in the boat with Bombur?
9. What sort of elves have taken Thorin prisoner?
(a) Wood Elves.
(b) Light Elves.
(c) Deep Elves.
(d) Sea Elves.
10. What is the Elf King's crown made of during autumn (fall)?
(a) Gold and emeralds.
(b) Silver and white gems.
(c) Berries and red leaves.
(d) Oak leaves and acorns.
11. Why can't the dwarves hear the goblins coming?
(a) The goblins have made themselves invisible.
(b) The goblins are wearing soft shoes.
(c) The echoes inside the caves are too confusing.
(d) The dwarves are talking too loudly.
12. What weather forces the adventurers to seek shelter in a cave in Chapter 4?
(a) Hail and sleet.
(b) A blizzard.
(c) A thunderstorm.
(d) A hurricane.
13. Who is the first dwarf to arrive at Bilbo's house in Chapter 1?
14. What stops Bilbo from going forward in the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
(a) He hears goblins going fishing.
(b) Gollum catches him.
(c) He comes to the edge of a subterranean lake.
(d) He blunders into a dead end.
15. What is another name for the Dwarves' New Year?
(a) The Hunter's Moon.
(b) The Day of the Thrush.
(c) Durin's Day.
(d) The Threshold of Winter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is obviously magical about Gandalf's sword Glamdring (Foe-hammer)?
2. What question of Balin's enraged the Elvenking?
3. What reward do the dwarves give to the eagles at the end of the adventures?
4. Who is carrying Bilbo when the goblins find them for the second time?
5. What does Bilbo take from the trolls' hoard of loot?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)