Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bilbo try to steal from the trolls?
(a) A jug of beer.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A purse.
(d) A pony.
2. Which pair of dwarves are the youngest?
(a) Oin and Gloin.
(b) Fili and Kili.
(c) Balin and Dwalin.
(d) Dori and Nori.
3. Who carries Bilbo at first as they try to escape from the mines after Gandalf kills the Great Goblin?
4. Which dwarf has to come to Beorn's house alone?
5. What is the weak point in Bilbo's plan of escape from the elves?
(a) He forgot that he had nobody to pack him inside a barrel.
(b) He forgot that the elves would notice that the barrels were still full.
(c) He forgot that he couldn't swim.
(d) He forgot to leave air-holes so the dwarves could breathe through.
6. What does Bilbo think the eagles will do to him at first?
(a) He hopes that they will give him a meal.
(b) He is afraid they will drop him over the edge of their eyrie.
(c) He thinks they will give him back to the goblins.
(d) He thinks they plan to eat him.
7. Who found the cave in Chapter 4?
(a) Balin and Dwalin.
(b) Fili and Kili.
(c) Gandalf and Bilbo.
(d) Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
8. What is the Elf King's crown made of during autumn (fall)?
(a) Berries and red leaves.
(b) Oak leaves and acorns.
(c) Silver and white gems.
(d) Gold and emeralds.
9. What is the English translation for the names of the swords (Orcrist and Glamdring) that Thorin and Gandalf now own?
(a) Truefriend and Goblin-hammer.
(b) Tailbiter and Flame of the West.
(c) Goblin-cleaver and Foe-hammer.
(d) Warhammer and Dragonslayer.
10. What weather forces the adventurers to seek shelter in a cave in Chapter 4?
(a) A thunderstorm.
(b) Hail and sleet.
(c) A blizzard.
(d) A hurricane.
11. Which of the following devices do the goblins not make (or have made for them)?
(b) Instruments of torture.
12. What does Bilbo see at nightfall as they travel towards Mirkwood?
(a) A great black bear (Beorn in his animal shape) following them.
(b) Spies and servants of the Necromancer.
(c) Wargs and goblins trying to sneak past Beorn's borders.
(d) The borrowed ponies trying to escape.
13. Which of the following does not happen when one of the adventurers steps into the ring of lights surrounding the elves' feast?
(a) The elves begin singing an eerie tune.
(b) The lights magically go out.
(c) The fire erupts in a shower of sparks.
(d) The adventurers become confused and disoriented.
14. Why don't the adventurers drink from the black stream in the middle of Mirkwood?
(a) It flows too fast to be safe if they stand on the brink and try to fill their waterskins.
(b) Beorn had warned them that the water was enchanted.
(c) They are more interested in getting across it.
(d) It looks poisonous and unhealthy.
15. What is the other name for Rivendell?
(a) The Last Homely House.
(b) The Valley of the Elves.
(c) The Hidden Valley.
(d) The Edge of the Wild.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the wargs come to the clearing where the adventurers were?
2. What cooking method do the trolls decide on first of all before Gandalf stirs up the argument again?
3. Where did Gollum live before coming to the underground lake?
4. What does Bilbo take from the trolls' hoard of loot?
5. What musical instrument does Thorin Oakenshield play?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)