|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the English translation for the names of the swords (Orcrist and Glamdring) that Thorin and Gandalf now own?
(a) Tailbiter and Flame of the West.
(b) Warhammer and Dragonslayer.
(c) Goblin-cleaver and Foe-hammer.
(d) Truefriend and Goblin-hammer.
2. Which dwarf has to come to Beorn's house alone?
3. What was the name of Bilbo's mother?
(a) Rosemary Took.
(b) Bluebell Belladonna.
(c) Lobelia Sackville-Baggins.
(d) Belladonna Took.
4. How many goblins grab Bilbo?
(a) None - Bilbo escapes.
5. Whose hood and cloak does Bilbo borrow?
6. What sort of drink does Gandalf ask Bilbo to get him in Chapter 1?
(b) Red wine.
7. What phase of the moon is showing when Elrond studies the map?
(a) A crescent moon.
(b) A full moon.
(c) A gibbous moon.
(d) A new moon.
8. What is "never thirsty, ever drinking/All in mail never clinking?"
(a) A fish.
(c) The skeleton of a drowned knight.
(d) Gollum's grandmother.
9. What musical instrument does Thorin Oakenshield play?
(a) A flute.
(b) A fiddle.
(c) A clarinet.
(d) A harp.
10. Where are the elves hiding when they sing nonsense songs to welcome the adventurers to Rivendell?
(a) Beside the stream.
(b) Under the narrow stone bridge.
(c) On the roof of Rivendell.
(d) In trees beside the path.
11. Which dwarf has a smoke-ring blowing competition or game with Gandalf?
12. What game or sport was accidentally invented by Bilbo's ancestor Bullroarer Took?
13. What reward do the dwarves give to the eagles at the end of the adventures?
(a) Specially designed spurs of steel that will help them fight agains the goblins better.
(b) A magnificent necklace set with rubies and emeralds.
(c) A golden crown for the Lord of Eagles and golden collars for his fifteen chieftans.
(d) A wagon load of silver and gold.
14. What cooking method do the trolls decide on first of all before Gandalf stirs up the argument again?
(a) Mincing them and boiling them.
(b) Roasting the dwarves slowly.
(c) Mincing them and making them into pies.
(d) Sitting on them and squashing them.
15. Which troll catches Bilbo in Chapter 2?
(b) All three of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is obviously magical about Gandalf's sword Glamdring (Foe-hammer)?
2. Why is the magic ring unable to protect the wearer from the wargs?
3. Who carries Bilbo at first as they try to escape from the mines after Gandalf kills the Great Goblin?
4. Why don't the adventurers drink from the black stream in the middle of Mirkwood?
5. What special ability does Beorn have?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)