|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bilbo think the eagles will do to him at first?
(a) He hopes that they will give him a meal.
(b) He is afraid they will drop him over the edge of their eyrie.
(c) He thinks they will give him back to the goblins.
(d) He thinks they plan to eat him.
2. Why is the magic ring unable to protect the wearer from the wargs?
(a) Wargs have especially keen hearing.
(b) Wargs can find the wearer by their sense of smell.
(c) Wargs can still see the wearer's shadow, even by moonlight.
(d) Wargs are magical, and the ring does not work on them.
3. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
(a) Promising the Elvenking a share of the treasure.
(b) Committing suicide.
(c) Telling the Elvenking about the quest and the treasure.
(d) Swearing to become a slave of the elves for the rest of his life.
4. What does Bilbo learn about his sword in Chapter 5?
(a) It helps him see in the dark.
(b) It is an elvish blade like Glamdring and Orcrist.
(c) It acts as a compass so he does not lose his sense of direction.
(d) He can use it like a match to make fire.
5. How does Beorn react to the dwarves' talk of gold, silver and jewels?
(a) He is angry and perplexed at their greed.
(b) He is intrigued and starts becoming greedy for a share of the treasure.
(c) He ignores them, as he has no interest in treasures.
(d) He is amazed at the skill the dwarves talk about.
6. Who is the first to see the lights from the elves' feast?
7. What is "never thirsty, ever drinking/All in mail never clinking?"
(b) Gollum's grandmother.
(c) The skeleton of a drowned knight.
(d) A fish.
8. What does Thorin use as a weapon against the trolls in Chapter 2?
(a) A cauldron of boiling water.
(b) A burning branch from the fire.
(c) A dagger.
(d) A branch torn off a tree.
9. What was the name of Bilbo's mother?
(a) Bluebell Belladonna.
(b) Belladonna Took.
(c) Rosemary Took.
(d) Lobelia Sackville-Baggins.
10. What prediction of Gandalf's comes true in Chapter 9?
(a) They will be unable to reach the Lonely Mountain by Durin's Day.
(b) They came to disaster when they left the path in Mirkwood.
(c) They will have to abandon their quest and return to digging coal.
(d) The dwarves have learned to trust Bilbo to save them.
11. What animals do the adventurers see quite frequently in the early stages of their journey through Mirkwood?
(a) Black squirrels.
(b) Wild boars.
(d) Poisonous snakes.
12. What is another name for the Dwarves' New Year?
(a) Durin's Day.
(b) The Day of the Thrush.
(c) The Threshold of Winter.
(d) The Hunter's Moon.
13. Who does Bilbo see first after escaping Gollum and the dark tunnels?
14. Which troll catches Bilbo in Chapter 2?
(c) All three of them.
15. How does Gollum get from his island to the shore of the lake?
(a) He rides on the back of blind fish.
(b) His ring helps him walk across the surface of the water.
(c) He swims, as he is an excellent swimmer.
(d) He paddles a little boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the dwarves glad to be captured by the elves (at first)?
2. What weapons do the Wood Elves use when they take the dwarves prisoner?
3. Who is carrying Bilbo when the goblins find them for the second time?
4. What does Bilbo eat for breakfast when he wakes up in the eagles' eyrie?
5. What question of Balin's enraged the Elvenking?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)