|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the goblins not find Bilbo after he is knocked unconscious?
(a) The are too busy looking at the dwarves and Gandalf.
(b) They see him, but do not bother with him.
(c) He is lying quietly in a dark corner.
(d) They have all been killed by Gandalf's magic.
2. How does Beorn find out that Gandalf's story is true?
(a) He finds the burnt wolf-glade and also forces a captive warg and goblin to tell him.
(b) He finds the dead body of the Great Goblin.
(c) His bees bring him the news.
(d) The Lord of the Eagles tells him.
3. What does Gloin say about Bilbo that enrages Bilbo so much that he overcomes his fears and joins the adventurers?
(a) Our friend and fellow conspirator.
(b) Little fellow bobbing on the mat.
(c) More like a grocer than a burglar.
(d) As fierce as a dragon in a pinch.
4. What nearly gives Bilbo's presence away to the men steering the barrels in spite of the invisibility conferred on him by the ring?
(a) His wet footprints and his sneezing.
(b) His shadow in the torchlight.
(c) He bumps into the men quite frequently.
(d) His weight presses the barrels lower in the water.
5. What does Bilbo not tell the dwarves about his adventures inside the tunnels?
(a) That he now has a ring that makes him invisible when he puts it on.
(b) That Gollum wanted to eat him if he lost the riddle contest.
(c) That his little sword is an elvish blade like Glamdring and Orcrist.
(d) That he had pity on Gollum and did not kill him when he had the chance.
6. What is the other name for Rivendell?
(a) The Last Homely House.
(b) The Valley of the Elves.
(c) The Hidden Valley.
(d) The Edge of the Wild.
7. What does Bilbo eat for breakfast when he wakes up in the eagles' eyrie?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(b) Bread and water.
(c) Cold mutton and rabbit.
(d) Cold ham and apples.
8. What is unusual or rare about Elrond's ancestry?
(a) He is half human and half hobbit.
(b) He is half human and half goblin.
(c) He is half elf and half human.
(d) He is half elf and half goblin.
9. Who is the first to see the lights from the elves' feast?
10. Who carries Bilbo at first as they try to escape from the mines after Gandalf kills the Great Goblin?
11. What is another name for the Dwarves' New Year?
(a) Durin's Day.
(b) The Day of the Thrush.
(c) The Hunter's Moon.
(d) The Threshold of Winter.
12. Who found the cave in Chapter 4?
(a) Fili and Kili.
(b) Balin and Dwalin.
(c) Gandalf and Bilbo.
(d) Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.
13. What first alerts the Lord of the Eagles to the events in the wood?
(a) The howling of the wolves.
(b) A magical message from Gandalf.
(c) The flames in the forest.
(d) The line of goblin soldiers marching towards the forest.
14. On what day does Elrond read the runes on the swords and on the map?
(a) The autumn equinox.
(b) Bilbo's birthday.
(c) Midsummer's Eve.
(d) Midsummer morning.
15. What question of Balin's enraged the Elvenking?
(a) Balin asks the Elvenking for food and drink before being set free.
(b) Balin asks if the spiders are the elves' pets.
(c) Balin asks if the elves know anything about Smaug's treasure.
(d) Balin asks what has happened to Thorin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a change that the adventurers notice after encountering the hunt and the white deer?
2. What reward do the dwarves give to the eagles at the end of the adventures?
3. What sort of elves have taken Thorin prisoner?
4. What color is Thorin's hood?
5. What is mostly transported by river inside the barrels from the people of Laketown to the Wood Elves?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)