|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the goblins use to beat time while they sing?
(a) Footsteps and whips.
(b) Hammers and tongs.
(c) Drums and gongs.
(d) Cymbals and tamborines.
2. What was the final fate of the ponies?
(a) They starved to death.
(b) The goblins used them to draw carts in the mines.
(c) They escaped back to Rivendell.
(d) The goblins ate them.
3. What is the Elf King's crown made of during autumn (fall)?
(a) Gold and emeralds.
(b) Oak leaves and acorns.
(c) Berries and red leaves.
(d) Silver and white gems.
4. On what day does Elrond read the runes on the swords and on the map?
(a) Midsummer morning.
(b) Bilbo's birthday.
(c) The autumn equinox.
(d) Midsummer's Eve.
5. What is obviously magical about Gandalf's sword Glamdring (Foe-hammer)?
(a) It becomes invisible when the owner is in danger.
(b) It emits a high-pitched screeching sound when it kills goblins.
(c) It burns blue when goblins are nearby.
(d) It cannot be taken out of the owner's hand unless the owner is killed.
6. Why is the magic ring unable to protect the wearer from the wargs?
(a) Wargs can still see the wearer's shadow, even by moonlight.
(b) Wargs have especially keen hearing.
(c) Wargs are magical, and the ring does not work on them.
(d) Wargs can find the wearer by their sense of smell.
7. What wakes Bilbo up from his sleep after he realizes he is alone in Chapter 8, after coming across the elves' feast?
(a) The shouts and cries of the dwarves.
(b) A high-pitched buzzing noise made by a fly attempting to escape from the spiders.
(c) A spider, which is trying to wrap him up in sticky thread.
(d) The hunting horn of the elf king.
8. What does Bilbo see at nightfall as they travel towards Mirkwood?
(a) Wargs and goblins trying to sneak past Beorn's borders.
(b) Spies and servants of the Necromancer.
(c) A great black bear (Beorn in his animal shape) following them.
(d) The borrowed ponies trying to escape.
9. Which of the following is not a name for the trolls?
10. What is the other name for Rivendell?
(a) The Hidden Valley.
(b) The Edge of the Wild.
(c) The Last Homely House.
(d) The Valley of the Elves.
11. What is another name for the Dwarves' New Year?
(a) The Threshold of Winter.
(b) Durin's Day.
(c) The Day of the Thrush.
(d) The Hunter's Moon.
12. How does Beorn react to the dwarves' talk of gold, silver and jewels?
(a) He is amazed at the skill the dwarves talk about.
(b) He is intrigued and starts becoming greedy for a share of the treasure.
(c) He ignores them, as he has no interest in treasures.
(d) He is angry and perplexed at their greed.
13. How does Beorn find out that Gandalf's story is true?
(a) He finds the burnt wolf-glade and also forces a captive warg and goblin to tell him.
(b) He finds the dead body of the Great Goblin.
(c) The Lord of the Eagles tells him.
(d) His bees bring him the news.
14. What prediction of Gandalf's comes true in Chapter 9?
(a) They came to disaster when they left the path in Mirkwood.
(b) The dwarves have learned to trust Bilbo to save them.
(c) They will be unable to reach the Lonely Mountain by Durin's Day.
(d) They will have to abandon their quest and return to digging coal.
15. What animals set up the dinner table and light the lamps in Beorn's hall?
(a) Bears, boars and oxen.
(b) Sheep, cattle and cats.
(c) Bees, eagles and enslaved wolves.
(d) Ponies, dogs and sheep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bilbo find to eat as they walk through the woods in Chapter 6?
2. Why don't the adventurers drink from the black stream in the middle of Mirkwood?
3. What sort of elves have taken Thorin prisoner?
4. What does Bilbo try to steal from the trolls?
5. What type of bird is named in the moon-letters on the map?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)