|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the goblin name for Thorin's sword?
2. Who carries Bilbo at first as they try to escape from the mines after Gandalf kills the Great Goblin?
3. How does Beorn react to the dwarves' talk of gold, silver and jewels?
(a) He is intrigued and starts becoming greedy for a share of the treasure.
(b) He is amazed at the skill the dwarves talk about.
(c) He ignores them, as he has no interest in treasures.
(d) He is angry and perplexed at their greed.
4. What is the answer to Bilbo's first riddle?
(a) White horses.
(c) A mountain.
(d) The wind.
5. What musical instrument does Thorin Oakenshield play?
(a) A harp.
(b) A flute.
(c) A clarinet.
(d) A fiddle.
6. In Chapter 9, with whom does the chief guard get drunk?
(a) The men who guided the barrels up the river.
(b) The Elf King.
(c) The other guards.
(d) The king's butler.
7. What phase of the moon is showing when Elrond studies the map?
(a) A full moon.
(b) A gibbous moon.
(c) A new moon.
(d) A crescent moon.
8. Which of the following is not a name for the trolls?
9. Why is the magic ring unable to protect the wearer from the wargs?
(a) Wargs can find the wearer by their sense of smell.
(b) Wargs have especially keen hearing.
(c) Wargs can still see the wearer's shadow, even by moonlight.
(d) Wargs are magical, and the ring does not work on them.
10. Why don't the adventurers drink from the black stream in the middle of Mirkwood?
(a) Beorn had warned them that the water was enchanted.
(b) They are more interested in getting across it.
(c) It flows too fast to be safe if they stand on the brink and try to fill their waterskins.
(d) It looks poisonous and unhealthy.
11. What does Bilbo try to steal from the trolls?
(a) A jug of beer.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A pony.
(d) A purse.
12. Why does Bombur fall into the enchanted river?
(a) A deer knocks him in.
(b) Dwalin knocks him in accidentally.
(c) He is too fat and clumsy to jump out of the boat without stumbling.
(d) The boat starts floating downstream so he jumps into the water.
13. After they have defeated the spiders, who do the adventurers discover is missing?
14. What does Bilbo find to eat as they walk through the woods in Chapter 6?
(a) Sorrel and wild strawberries.
(b) Blackberries and strawberries.
(c) Mushrooms and crab-apples.
(d) Hawthorn berries and blackberries.
15. What is unusual or rare about Elrond's ancestry?
(a) He is half human and half goblin.
(b) He is half human and half hobbit.
(c) He is half elf and half goblin.
(d) He is half elf and half human.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is carrying Bilbo when the goblins find them for the second time?
2. Where were Glamdring and Orcrist originally forged?
3. What animals does Bilbo sense as he wanders through the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
4. Which troll catches Bilbo in Chapter 2?
5. Why do the goblins not find Bilbo after he is knocked unconscious?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)