|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bombur fall into the enchanted river?
(a) Dwalin knocks him in accidentally.
(b) The boat starts floating downstream so he jumps into the water.
(c) He is too fat and clumsy to jump out of the boat without stumbling.
(d) A deer knocks him in.
2. What sort of drink does Gandalf ask Bilbo to get him in Chapter 1?
(c) Red wine.
3. What day of the week was it when the adventurers were captured?
(a) Monday night (or Tuesday morning).
(b) Monday morning (or Sunday night).
(c) Tuesday night (or Wednesday morning).
(d) Thursday evening (or Thursday morning).
4. What is obviously magical about Gandalf's sword Glamdring (Foe-hammer)?
(a) It emits a high-pitched screeching sound when it kills goblins.
(b) It burns blue when goblins are nearby.
(c) It cannot be taken out of the owner's hand unless the owner is killed.
(d) It becomes invisible when the owner is in danger.
5. How does Gollum get from his island to the shore of the lake?
(a) His ring helps him walk across the surface of the water.
(b) He paddles a little boat.
(c) He swims, as he is an excellent swimmer.
(d) He rides on the back of blind fish.
6. How does Beorn react to the dwarves' talk of gold, silver and jewels?
(a) He is amazed at the skill the dwarves talk about.
(b) He ignores them, as he has no interest in treasures.
(c) He is angry and perplexed at their greed.
(d) He is intrigued and starts becoming greedy for a share of the treasure.
7. Where did Gollum live before coming to the underground lake?
(a) With his grandmother in a hole in a bank beside a river.
(b) With the goblins, but he was banished after he ate one of them.
(c) On the top of a windy mountain.
(d) Nowhere - he has always lived on his island.
8. Why can't the dwarves hear the goblins coming?
(a) The dwarves are talking too loudly.
(b) The echoes inside the caves are too confusing.
(c) The goblins are wearing soft shoes.
(d) The goblins have made themselves invisible.
9. What does Thorin use as a weapon against the trolls in Chapter 2?
(a) A burning branch from the fire.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A branch torn off a tree.
(d) A cauldron of boiling water.
10. In Chapter 9, with whom does the chief guard get drunk?
(a) The Elf King.
(b) The king's butler.
(c) The other guards.
(d) The men who guided the barrels up the river.
11. What weather forces the adventurers to seek shelter in a cave in Chapter 4?
(a) A blizzard.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) A thunderstorm.
(d) Hail and sleet.
12. What was the name of the town of Men that was under the shadow of the Lonely Mountain until the dragon came and destroyed it?
13. Whose hood and cloak does Bilbo borrow?
14. Where were Glamdring and Orcrist originally forged?
(a) In Rivendell itself.
(b) In the Mines of Moria.
(c) In Thror's kingdom that was destroyed by the dragon.
(d) In the ancient elvish kingdom of Gondolin.
15. What sort of elves have taken Thorin prisoner?
(a) Sea Elves.
(b) Deep Elves.
(c) Wood Elves.
(d) Light Elves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Bilbo's mother?
2. What cooking method do the trolls decide on first of all before Gandalf stirs up the argument again?
3. Which of the following is not a hazard that needs to be avoided in the path leading to Rivendell?
4. What do the goblins use to beat time while they sing?
5. Who found the cave in Chapter 4?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)