|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gloin say about Bilbo that enrages Bilbo so much that he overcomes his fears and joins the adventurers?
(a) Our friend and fellow conspirator.
(b) As fierce as a dragon in a pinch.
(c) More like a grocer than a burglar.
(d) Little fellow bobbing on the mat.
2. What does Bilbo see at nightfall as they travel towards Mirkwood?
(a) A great black bear (Beorn in his animal shape) following them.
(b) Wargs and goblins trying to sneak past Beorn's borders.
(c) Spies and servants of the Necromancer.
(d) The borrowed ponies trying to escape.
3. Whose hood and cloak does Bilbo borrow?
4. How does Bilbo find food while skulking around in the Elvenking's palace?
(a) He slips out through the magic gates and goes hunting.
(b) He scrounges it off the rubbish heaps of the elves.
(c) He steals it from the stores or the table when nobody is looking.
(d) He takes it out of the barrels sent to Esgaroth.
5. How does Bilbo kill the spiders who have captured the dwarves in their webs?
(a) He throws stones at them.
(b) He enrages them so much that they fall out of their trees to their deaths.
(c) He uses strands of their own webs to make nooses and strangles them.
(d) He stabs them stealthily with Sting.
6. What sort of drink does Gandalf ask Bilbo to get him in Chapter 1?
(b) Red wine.
7. What small creatures does Bilbo find at the top of the oak tree in Chapter 8?
(a) Squirrels and sparrows.
(b) Centipedes and earwigs.
(c) Black butterflies and spiders.
(d) Moths and caterpillars.
8. What happened outside Beorn's hall on the first night the adventurers stayed there?
(a) Beorn, in bear-shape, tried to kill the adventurers.
(b) Beorn and other bears held a meeting and a dance.
(c) Beorn had a great battle against a pack of Wargs.
(d) Beorn and Gandalf talked all night on top of the Carrock.
9. What animals does Bilbo sense as he wanders through the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
(a) None - the goblins have eaten everything alive.
10. What is the name of Gandalf's cousin?
11. Where are the elves hiding when they sing nonsense songs to welcome the adventurers to Rivendell?
(a) On the roof of Rivendell.
(b) Beside the stream.
(c) Under the narrow stone bridge.
(d) In trees beside the path.
12. What is Beorn doing when Gandalf and Bilbo arrive at his house?
(a) Shearing sheep.
(b) Chopping wood.
(c) Churning butter.
(d) Extracting honey from his hives.
13. What type of bird is named in the moon-letters on the map?
(a) A raven.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A thrush.
(d) A sparrow.
14. Why is the magic ring unable to protect the wearer from the wargs?
(a) Wargs can find the wearer by their sense of smell.
(b) Wargs have especially keen hearing.
(c) Wargs are magical, and the ring does not work on them.
(d) Wargs can still see the wearer's shadow, even by moonlight.
15. What does Bilbo think the eagles will do to him at first?
(a) He is afraid they will drop him over the edge of their eyrie.
(b) He thinks they will give him back to the goblins.
(c) He hopes that they will give him a meal.
(d) He thinks they plan to eat him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical instrument does Thorin Oakenshield play?
2. Which dwarf has to come to Beorn's house alone?
3. Why are the dwarves glad to be captured by the elves (at first)?
4. How many goblins grab Bilbo?
5. How does Gollum get from his island to the shore of the lake?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)