|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were Glamdring and Orcrist originally forged?
(a) In Thror's kingdom that was destroyed by the dragon.
(b) In Rivendell itself.
(c) In the ancient elvish kingdom of Gondolin.
(d) In the Mines of Moria.
2. What type of bird is named in the moon-letters on the map?
(a) A raven.
(b) A sparrow.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A thrush.
3. What color is Bilbo's front door into his hobbit hole?
4. What special ability does Beorn have?
(a) He can change from a man into a black bear.
(b) He can hunt any animal alive with his bare hands.
(c) He can handle bees without being stung.
(d) He can lift rocks as big as the Carrock.
5. What does Bilbo eat for breakfast when he wakes up in the eagles' eyrie?
(a) Bread and water.
(b) Bacon and eggs.
(c) Cold ham and apples.
(d) Cold mutton and rabbit.
6. Where are the elves hiding when they sing nonsense songs to welcome the adventurers to Rivendell?
(a) Under the narrow stone bridge.
(b) Beside the stream.
(c) On the roof of Rivendell.
(d) In trees beside the path.
7. Who is supposed to ride in the boat with Bombur?
8. Why is the magic ring unable to protect the wearer from the wargs?
(a) Wargs have especially keen hearing.
(b) Wargs are magical, and the ring does not work on them.
(c) Wargs can still see the wearer's shadow, even by moonlight.
(d) Wargs can find the wearer by their sense of smell.
9. What prediction of Gandalf's comes true in Chapter 9?
(a) The dwarves have learned to trust Bilbo to save them.
(b) They will be unable to reach the Lonely Mountain by Durin's Day.
(c) They came to disaster when they left the path in Mirkwood.
(d) They will have to abandon their quest and return to digging coal.
10. What is mostly transported by river inside the barrels from the people of Laketown to the Wood Elves?
11. What small creatures does Bilbo find at the top of the oak tree in Chapter 8?
(a) Black butterflies and spiders.
(b) Squirrels and sparrows.
(c) Moths and caterpillars.
(d) Centipedes and earwigs.
12. What day of the week was it when the adventurers were captured?
(a) Monday morning (or Sunday night).
(b) Monday night (or Tuesday morning).
(c) Tuesday night (or Wednesday morning).
(d) Thursday evening (or Thursday morning).
13. What does Bilbo find on the floor in Chapter 5?
(a) A ring.
(b) A slice of bacon.
(c) His pipe and tobacco pouch.
(d) A knife.
14. What is unusual or rare about Elrond's ancestry?
(a) He is half elf and half goblin.
(b) He is half human and half hobbit.
(c) He is half human and half goblin.
(d) He is half elf and half human.
15. Why did the wargs come to the clearing where the adventurers were?
(a) The goblins had sent the wargs to hunt down the adventurers.
(b) The wargs could smell the adventurers and came to hunt them.
(c) The wolves were running away from the woodsmen who had settled in the area.
(d) They were going to meet the goblins so they could go raiding together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bilbo's handwriting look like?
2. What will happen if Bilbo loses the riddle contest?
3. Which troll catches Bilbo in Chapter 2?
4. Which of the following does not happen when one of the adventurers steps into the ring of lights surrounding the elves' feast?
5. What first alerts the Lord of the Eagles to the events in the wood?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)