|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Elvenking react to the sight of the Arkenstone?
(a) He is unimpressed by it.
(b) He rejects Bilbo's offer as treacherous and ignoble, preferring instead to fight fairly for a share of the treasure.
(c) He is amazed by its beauty and questions Bilbo's right to give it to him.
(d) He is consumed by lust for the gem and is willing to renounce the rest of the treasure if he can have the Arkenstone.
2. What is the other name for the Arkenstone?
(a) The Heart of the Dragon.
(b) The Mountain of Light.
(c) The Heart of the Mountain.
(d) The Heart of Darkness.
3. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
(a) Six feet high.
(b) Three feet high.
(c) Five feet high.
(d) We are not told.
4. In Chapter 12, who volunteers to come some of the way down the tunnel with Bilbo?
5. How does Bilbo manage to recognize Thorin after freeing him from the barrel?
(a) By his long nose and bristling beard.
(b) By his blue hood with the silver tassel and by his golden chain.
(c) By a distinctive scar left from his encounter with Smaug in the distant past.
(d) By his red cloak, black boots and dark green tunic
Short Answer Questions
1. What is mostly transported by river inside the barrels from the people of Laketown to the Wood Elves?
2. What is the English translation for the names of the swords (Orcrist and Glamdring) that Thorin and Gandalf now own?
3. How does Bilbo know that the gem he stumbles across is the Arkenstone?
4. What will happen if Bilbo loses the riddle contest?
5. What unexpected news does Bilbo give the elves and Lakemen?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)