|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the King of the Wood Elves wiser than the men of Laketown?
(a) He believes in the old songs and tales that the Master of Laketown has forgotten about.
(b) He quickly realizes how the dwarves managed to escape from his dungeons.
(c) He realizes that the dwarves will have to steal from Smaug rather than attempt to kill him, which is what the Lake-men believe.
(d) He knows a way to kill Smaug that the Lake-men do not.
2. What happened to Thorin's sword Orcrist?
(a) It had become hopelessly rusty in the trip down the river.
(b) It had fallen off and become lost while the Eagles were rescuing the adventurers from the wargs and goblins.
(c) The King of the Wood Elves took it from Thorin when he was made prisoner.
(d) Nothing - Thorin uses it to enhance his kingly apperance when he presents himself to the Master of Laketown.
3. What special ability does Beorn have?
(a) He can change from a man into a black bear.
(b) He can hunt any animal alive with his bare hands.
(c) He can handle bees without being stung.
(d) He can lift rocks as big as the Carrock.
4. What does Bilbo most want to happen while the dwarves are preparing for a siege by the elves and Lakemen?
(a) He wants the armies to go away and leave them alone.
(b) He wants to steal away with his share of the treasure and leave the dwarves to fight the Lakemen over the rest.
(c) He wants a peaceful resolution to the situation - and enough food
(d) He wants Gandalf to turn up and take him back to his hobbit hole again.
5. What phase of the moon is showing when Elrond studies the map?
(a) A crescent moon.
(b) A gibbous moon.
(c) A new moon.
(d) A full moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not happen when one of the adventurers steps into the ring of lights surrounding the elves' feast?
2. How do the dwarves manage to obtain three ponies in Chapter 15?
3. How does Bilbo kill the spiders who have captured the dwarves in their webs?
4. What cooking method do the trolls decide on first of all before Gandalf stirs up the argument again?
5. What is the answer to Bilbo's first riddle?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)