|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
(a) The air about him grows hotter.
(b) The rumbling sound of Smaug's breathing or snoring.
(c) A reddish glow.
(d) Wisps of smoke.
2. What is Gandalf's last piece of advice before he leaves the dwarves and Bilbo?
(a) Keep going straight ahead, no matter what happens.
(b) Don't leave the path.
(c) You must either go through or give up the quest.
(d) Don't go near the Necromancer's tower.
3. What is "never thirsty, ever drinking/All in mail never clinking?"
(a) Gollum's grandmother.
(b) A fish.
(d) The skeleton of a drowned knight.
4. In Chapter 12, who volunteers to come some of the way down the tunnel with Bilbo?
5. What does Thorin take as armor and weapons from the hoard of Smaug's treasure?
(a) A coat of gold-plated rings, an axe with a silver haft and a belt encrusted with scarlet stones.
(b) A coat of silver mail, a helmet encrusted with diamonds and an ivory bow.
(c) Silver armour, a belt set with rubies and a black mace set with diamonds.
(d) Spears with the heads inlaid with gold, an emerald-studded shield and a crown.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened outside Beorn's hall on the first night the adventurers stayed there?
2. What is the goblin name for Thorin's sword?
3. Apart from the dragon, what other animals live inside the Lonely Mountain?
4. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
5. What reward do the dwarves give to the eagles at the end of the adventures?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)