|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gollum eat?
(a) Fish and goblins.
(b) Fish and mushrooms.
(c) Bats and spiders.
(d) Ponies and goblins.
2. Why don't the adventurers drink from the black stream in the middle of Mirkwood?
(a) It flows too fast to be safe if they stand on the brink and try to fill their waterskins.
(b) Beorn had warned them that the water was enchanted.
(c) It looks poisonous and unhealthy.
(d) They are more interested in getting across it.
3. What does Bilbo not tell the dwarves about his adventures inside the tunnels?
(a) That he had pity on Gollum and did not kill him when he had the chance.
(b) That he now has a ring that makes him invisible when he puts it on.
(c) That Gollum wanted to eat him if he lost the riddle contest.
(d) That his little sword is an elvish blade like Glamdring and Orcrist.
4. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Talk to the thrushes and see if they know the secret of opening the door.
(b) Go back to Laketown and ask for more supplies and weapons.
(c) Try to capture one of the thrushes, crows or ravens and use its feathers as a disguise to sneak into the mountain through the Front Gate.
(d) Go into the mountain through the Front Gate using his magic ring.
5. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
(a) Using pickaxes to break through the stone.
(b) Throwing loose rocks at the cliff face.
(c) Beating on the stone and pushing at the cliff face.
(d) Reciting spells that can open locked doors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the goblins not find Bilbo after he is knocked unconscious?
2. What does Bilbo see at nightfall as they travel towards Mirkwood?
3. What prediction of Gandalf's comes true in Chapter 9?
4. What does Bilbo most want to happen while the dwarves are preparing for a siege by the elves and Lakemen?
5. In Chapter 12, who volunteers to come some of the way down the tunnel with Bilbo?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)