|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the town of Men that was under the shadow of the Lonely Mountain until the dragon came and destroyed it?
2. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
(a) The rumbling sound of Smaug's breathing or snoring.
(b) Wisps of smoke.
(c) A reddish glow.
(d) The air about him grows hotter.
3. What does Bilbo find on the floor in Chapter 5?
(a) A slice of bacon.
(b) A ring.
(c) His pipe and tobacco pouch.
(d) A knife.
4. What does Bilbo manage to steal from Smaug in Chapter 12?
(a) A golden cup.
(b) A sharp sword.
(c) A pocketful of gold coins.
(d) A necklace of rubies.
5. What is obviously magical about Gandalf's sword Glamdring (Foe-hammer)?
(a) It cannot be taken out of the owner's hand unless the owner is killed.
(b) It emits a high-pitched screeching sound when it kills goblins.
(c) It becomes invisible when the owner is in danger.
(d) It burns blue when goblins are nearby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weather forces the adventurers to seek shelter in a cave in Chapter 4?
2. Which dwarves are the best at lighting fires?
3. Which troll catches Bilbo in Chapter 2?
4. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
5. What small creatures does Bilbo find at the top of the oak tree in Chapter 8?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)