|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Smaug react with such great fury in Chapter 12?
(a) He is hungry after his long sleep and his hunger infuriates him.
(b) He is outraged that someone has dared to steal from him.
(c) He is extremely disturbed by his nightmare.
(d) He smells the dwarves and realizes that they are coming to kill him.
2. What is the name of the elvenking's butler?
3. Where does Bilbo hide while the trolls are fighting and arguing?
(a) In a tree trunk.
(b) Under a sack.
(c) In a bush.
(d) In the trolls' cave.
4. Why is the King of the Wood Elves wiser than the men of Laketown?
(a) He quickly realizes how the dwarves managed to escape from his dungeons.
(b) He realizes that the dwarves will have to steal from Smaug rather than attempt to kill him, which is what the Lake-men believe.
(c) He believes in the old songs and tales that the Master of Laketown has forgotten about.
(d) He knows a way to kill Smaug that the Lake-men do not.
5. What wakes Bilbo up from his sleep after he realizes he is alone in Chapter 8, after coming across the elves' feast?
(a) The shouts and cries of the dwarves.
(b) A high-pitched buzzing noise made by a fly attempting to escape from the spiders.
(c) The hunting horn of the elf king.
(d) A spider, which is trying to wrap him up in sticky thread.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bilbo not tell the dwarves about his adventures inside the tunnels?
2. What sort of elves have taken Thorin prisoner?
3. Why is Bilbo unhappy during their stay in Laketown?
4. What does Bilbo try to steal from the trolls?
5. What nearly gives Bilbo's presence away to the men steering the barrels in spite of the invisibility conferred on him by the ring?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)