|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
(a) The rumbling sound of Smaug's breathing or snoring.
(b) Wisps of smoke.
(c) The air about him grows hotter.
(d) A reddish glow.
2. Whose hood and cloak does Bilbo borrow?
3. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
(a) They believe that the dragon does not exist.
(b) They believe that Thorin is not the rightful King Under the Mountain.
(c) They believe that the dragon is harmless and even friendly.
(d) They believe that the river will flow with gold once the King Under the Mountain returns.
4. Why is the King of the Wood Elves wiser than the men of Laketown?
(a) He quickly realizes how the dwarves managed to escape from his dungeons.
(b) He realizes that the dwarves will have to steal from Smaug rather than attempt to kill him, which is what the Lake-men believe.
(c) He believes in the old songs and tales that the Master of Laketown has forgotten about.
(d) He knows a way to kill Smaug that the Lake-men do not.
5. Why is Bilbo unhappy during their stay in Laketown?
(a) He is suspicious about the possible motives of the Master.
(b) He does not like the food that the Lake-men offer them.
(c) He still wishes he was back in his hobbit-hole.
(d) He has a bad cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the dwarves glad to be captured by the elves (at first)?
2. What happened to Thorin's sword Orcrist?
3. Which of the following devices do the goblins not make (or have made for them)?
4. How does Bilbo know that the gem he stumbles across is the Arkenstone?
5. What is the other name for Rivendell?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)