|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Gandalf's cousin?
2. What does Gloin say about Bilbo that enrages Bilbo so much that he overcomes his fears and joins the adventurers?
(a) Little fellow bobbing on the mat.
(b) As fierce as a dragon in a pinch.
(c) More like a grocer than a burglar.
(d) Our friend and fellow conspirator.
3. What nearly gives Bilbo's presence away to the men steering the barrels in spite of the invisibility conferred on him by the ring?
(a) His wet footprints and his sneezing.
(b) He bumps into the men quite frequently.
(c) His shadow in the torchlight.
(d) His weight presses the barrels lower in the water.
4. What is another name for the Dwarves' New Year?
(a) The Threshold of Winter.
(b) The Hunter's Moon.
(c) The Day of the Thrush.
(d) Durin's Day.
5. What stops Bilbo from going forward in the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
(a) He hears goblins going fishing.
(b) Gollum catches him.
(c) He comes to the edge of a subterranean lake.
(d) He blunders into a dead end.
Short Answer Questions
1. After they have defeated the spiders, who do the adventurers discover is missing?
2. What is Gandalf's last piece of advice before he leaves the dwarves and Bilbo?
3. Which of the following is not a name for the trolls?
4. What small creatures does Bilbo find at the top of the oak tree in Chapter 8?
5. What weather forces the adventurers to seek shelter in a cave in Chapter 4?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)