|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Beorn find out that Gandalf's story is true?
(a) He finds the dead body of the Great Goblin.
(b) His bees bring him the news.
(c) He finds the burnt wolf-glade and also forces a captive warg and goblin to tell him.
(d) The Lord of the Eagles tells him.
2. What does Bilbo's handwriting look like?
(a) Thin and spidery.
(b) Crabbed and rather clumsy.
(c) Cunning and cryptic.
(d) Flowing and beautiful.
3. What does Bilbo learn about his sword in Chapter 5?
(a) It acts as a compass so he does not lose his sense of direction.
(b) He can use it like a match to make fire.
(c) It helps him see in the dark.
(d) It is an elvish blade like Glamdring and Orcrist.
4. How does Bilbo find food while skulking around in the Elvenking's palace?
(a) He scrounges it off the rubbish heaps of the elves.
(b) He takes it out of the barrels sent to Esgaroth.
(c) He slips out through the magic gates and goes hunting.
(d) He steals it from the stores or the table when nobody is looking.
5. What nearly gives Bilbo's presence away to the men steering the barrels in spite of the invisibility conferred on him by the ring?
(a) His wet footprints and his sneezing.
(b) He bumps into the men quite frequently.
(c) His shadow in the torchlight.
(d) His weight presses the barrels lower in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weak point in Bilbo's plan of escape from the elves?
2. What animals does Bilbo sense as he wanders through the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
3. What is the other name for Rivendell?
4. Where were Glamdring and Orcrist originally forged?
5. What reward do the dwarves give to the eagles at the end of the adventures?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)