|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the dwarves glad to be captured by the elves (at first)?
(a) They know that if they promise the elves a share of their treasure, they will be set free.
(b) They are starving, and the elves will give their prisoners food.
(c) The elves have been friends with the dwarves for hundreds of years.
(d) They guess that the elves have taken Thorin prisoner and they want to be reunited with him.
2. What does Bilbo deduce from seeing the smoke and steam issuing from the Front Gate?
(a) That the dragon is getting ready to come out and eat them.
(b) That the dragon has set himself on fire.
(c) That the dragon is alive.
(d) That the dragon is watching them from the side of the mountain.
3. What does Elrond dislike about dwarves?
(a) Their love of gold.
(b) Their singing.
(c) Their cruelty and wickedness towards dragons.
(d) Their long beards.
4. In Chapter 9, with whom does the chief guard get drunk?
(a) The king's butler.
(b) The men who guided the barrels up the river.
(c) The other guards.
(d) The Elf King.
5. Where are the elves hiding when they sing nonsense songs to welcome the adventurers to Rivendell?
(a) On the roof of Rivendell.
(b) In trees beside the path.
(c) Under the narrow stone bridge.
(d) Beside the stream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen if Bilbo loses the riddle contest?
2. What does Bilbo's handwriting look like?
3. What animals set up the dinner table and light the lamps in Beorn's hall?
4. Who finds the 'doorstep' of the secret door in Chapter 11?
5. What is unusual or rare about Elrond's ancestry?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)