|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
(c) None - the dragon has eaten them all.
2. Which of the following is not a hazard that needs to be avoided in the path leading to Rivendell?
(a) Deceptively green bogs.
(b) A very narrow bridge over a swift-flowing stream.
(c) Steep slopes and deep ravines.
(d) Avalanches and rock falls.
3. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
(a) He lost a bet and had to go on guard duty as a result.
(b) He does not believe that Bilbo and the others have really found the secret door.
(c) He is very fond of the ponies and doesn't want to leave them behind.
(d) He thinks he is too fat for the ropes and that he will get dizzy or trip on the path.
4. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Try to capture one of the thrushes, crows or ravens and use its feathers as a disguise to sneak into the mountain through the Front Gate.
(b) Go into the mountain through the Front Gate using his magic ring.
(c) Go back to Laketown and ask for more supplies and weapons.
(d) Talk to the thrushes and see if they know the secret of opening the door.
5. What does Bilbo learn about his sword in Chapter 5?
(a) It helps him see in the dark.
(b) It is an elvish blade like Glamdring and Orcrist.
(c) He can use it like a match to make fire.
(d) It acts as a compass so he does not lose his sense of direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the dwarves glad to be captured by the elves (at first)?
2. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
3. What does Elrond dislike about dwarves?
4. What animals does Bilbo sense as he wanders through the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
5. What reward do the dwarves give to the eagles at the end of the adventures?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)