|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weapons do the Wood Elves use when they take the dwarves prisoner?
(a) Whips and clubs.
(b) Swords and daggers.
(c) They freeze the dwarves with their magical powers.
(d) Bows and spears.
2. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Try to capture one of the thrushes, crows or ravens and use its feathers as a disguise to sneak into the mountain through the Front Gate.
(b) Talk to the thrushes and see if they know the secret of opening the door.
(c) Go back to Laketown and ask for more supplies and weapons.
(d) Go into the mountain through the Front Gate using his magic ring.
3. What nearly gives Bilbo's presence away to the men steering the barrels in spite of the invisibility conferred on him by the ring?
(a) His weight presses the barrels lower in the water.
(b) His shadow in the torchlight.
(c) He bumps into the men quite frequently.
(d) His wet footprints and his sneezing.
4. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
(a) He thinks he is too fat for the ropes and that he will get dizzy or trip on the path.
(b) He lost a bet and had to go on guard duty as a result.
(c) He does not believe that Bilbo and the others have really found the secret door.
(d) He is very fond of the ponies and doesn't want to leave them behind.
5. Why do the goblins not find Bilbo after he is knocked unconscious?
(a) They have all been killed by Gandalf's magic.
(b) He is lying quietly in a dark corner.
(c) The are too busy looking at the dwarves and Gandalf.
(d) They see him, but do not bother with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual or rare about Elrond's ancestry?
2. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
3. What type of birds inhabit the area of the mountain and valleys closest to the Front Gate?
4. Where did Gollum live before coming to the underground lake?
5. What is the English translation for the names of the swords (Orcrist and Glamdring) that Thorin and Gandalf now own?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)