Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Atkins and Stanhope are lectured about sailing by what man?
2. Besides the squall that maroons Maturin, what other frustrating weather does the H.M.S. Surprise experience near Brazil?
3. How does Diana respond to Maturin's proposal of marriage?
4. Does Stanhope's death come as a surprise to others on the H.M.S. Surprise?
5. What is Maturin's solution to his problems with Canning?
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is a plot device that prepares the readers for turns the story may take. Discuss foreshadowing in the novel. What happens or appears early in the novel and comes to be important in later chapters?
Essay Topic 2
If it is the role of an antagonist to set obstacles in the way of the protagonist, who is then be considered the protagonist, and who is the antagonist in the novel? Explain using passages from the book.
Essay Topic 3
A novel may have more than one theme, but each theme includes a subject and a verb. To say the theme of a poem is war, for instance, is incomplete. More appropriate would be to say the theme is that war is futile. Discuss a major theme in the novel H.M.S. Surprise. Explain why you believe it is a major theme and use evidence from the book to support your point.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)