|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the swell aid Aubrey and the China fleet?
2. Who is fatally injured during the duel in chapter ten?
3. What consumes all of Aubrey's time while the H.M.S. Surprise is anchored at Bombay?
4. What fleet does the H.M.S. Surprise engage in battle with?
5. What does Aubrey think of Canning in chapter ten?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Pullings be disappointed with the actions of Mr. Hervey's uncle while the H.M.S. Surprise is anchored at Bombay?
2. Why does Commodore temper his excitement after the sea victory?
3. Why does Maturin's desired outcome for Canning not come to pass?
4. What do his interactions with Dil and Diana in chapter seven suggest about Maturin's view of his role with women?
5. How are the officers of the H.M.S. Surprise treated by the China fleet?
6. Why is Stephen Maturin so visibly upset when he returns to the H.M.S. Surprise in chapter eight?
7. How do you describe Stanhope and his entourage from the stand point of the H.M.S. Surprise crew?
8. What details about Diana's life in chapter seven suggest her morality might be questionable?
9. Why is Maturin's recovery of health surprising in chapter six?
10. How does the East India Company reward Aubrey and the the East India Company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is a plot device that prepares the readers for turns the story may take. Discuss foreshadowing in the novel. What happens or appears early in the novel and comes to be important in later chapters?
Essay Topic 2
Both Stephen Maturin and Jack Aubrey assert control of their destinies. Maturin has the advantage of fortune, but Aubrey's heroism gains him position as well. What about the two major female characters? Do Sophia and Diana have control over their own fates? How does each woman assert herself?
Essay Topic 3
As the two major characters in H.M.S. Surprise, are Stephen Maturin and Jack Aubrey foils for one another? Does each man stand out because the other is available for comparison?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)