|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What woman does Maturin visit in Calcutta?
2. What threat does Aubrey make in respect to Maturin?
3. Who acts as Maturin's second?
4. Who is waiting for Maturin at his lodging when Maturin returns from meeting with Diana?
5. About what woman does Maturin think during chapter six?
Essay Topic 1
Weather plays quite a role in the novel. What impact do the storms at sea in particular have on Aubrey and Maturin?
Essay Topic 2
A long voyage could be compared to a person's life. The voyage of the H.M.S. Surprise is months long and filled with adventure as well as some tedium. How does the voyage with its unsuccessful mission represent Aubrey's life?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use symbolism in the novel? How do the symbols contribute to the book?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)