|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Canning accuse Diana?
2. Why do Mr. White and Mr. Berkeley second guess their effort to come on the voyage of the H.M.S. Surprise?
3. Atkins and Stanhope are lectured about sailing by what man?
4. As the voyage progresses around South America, does the health of Stanhope improve?
5. What is the reason for the argument in chapter seven between Aubrey and Maturin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Maturin's meeting with Canning awkward?
2. What is the Marine Captain Etherege's approach to Maturin's desire to get satisfaction from Canning?
3. What details about Diana's life in chapter seven suggest her morality might be questionable?
4. Both Aubrey and Maturin entertain their shipmate's with stories and knowledge of sailing. Which man is more credible?
5. Is there any point in the long voyage when the people on board are in grave danger?
6. How are the officers of the H.M.S. Surprise treated by the China fleet?
7. What do his interactions with Dil and Diana in chapter seven suggest about Maturin's view of his role with women?
8. Why is Maturin's recovery of health surprising in chapter six?
9. What are Aubrey's thoughts on the physical distance between him and Linois with the French Armada?
10. What ruse is used to fool the French armada about the strength of the China fleet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A novel may have more than one theme, but each theme includes a subject and a verb. To say the theme of a poem is war, for instance, is incomplete. More appropriate would be to say the theme is that war is futile. Discuss a major theme in the novel H.M.S. Surprise. Explain why you believe it is a major theme and use evidence from the book to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Debtor's prison is a concept that is unfamiliar to today's Western society. What is the logic of a debtor's prison? What do we do today to a person who defaults on loans? Why do you think the author includes this concept?
Essay Topic 3
At times, the sea represents peace, particularly to Jack Aubrey. At other times in the novel, the sea causes death. Trace how the author uses the sea throughout the novel. Consider what the sea has to offer the crew of the H.M.S. Surprise. What does the sea offer to Aubrey in both challenges and opportunities? How does the sea affect the lives of the women in the novel? Do you think Aubrey will ever leave the sea for the cottage in his daydreams?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)