|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship, if any, does Aubrey have with the captain of the Seringapatam?
2. In chapter six, how long is Maturin on the rocky islets?
3. What is the intended use of the gift Jack Aubrey accepts on behalf of Sophie from the captain of the Seringapatam?
4. What is the rumor in Bombay about the position of the French Armada?
5. What does Aubrey show Maturin when they climb into the foretop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Aubrey and Maturin's lives complicated by women in chapter seven?
2. Why is Maturin's meeting with Canning awkward?
3. Why are Mr. Ahmed Smyth and Atkins at odds with one another?
4. Why does Maturin's desired outcome for Canning not come to pass?
5. By the time the H.M.S. Surprise reaches Bombay, what is the condition of the ship and the crew and passengers?
6. What ruse is used to fool the French armada about the strength of the China fleet?
7. How does the East India Company reward Aubrey and the the East India Company?
8. Why is Stephen Maturin so visibly upset when he returns to the H.M.S. Surprise in chapter eight?
9. Why is Babbinton's promotion only considered an acting appointment?
10. What is Maturin's reaction to Dil's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stephen Maturin does not have official status aboard the H.M.S. Surprise. Although he serves as the ship's physician, Maturin is not a naval officer. How then does he relate to the crew? How does he treat the men, and what do they think of him?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is a plot device that prepares the readers for turns the story may take. Discuss foreshadowing in the novel. What happens or appears early in the novel and comes to be important in later chapters?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use symbolism in the novel? How do the symbols contribute to the book?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)