|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Stanhope's death come as a surprise to others on the H.M.S. Surprise?
2. Of what does Canning accuse Diana?
3. What is Maturin's understanding of Stanhope's deteriorating health?
4. What does Aubrey think of Canning in chapter ten?
5. What does Maturin receive from England while he is in Bombay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Commodore temper his excitement after the sea victory?
2. Both Aubrey and Maturin entertain their shipmate's with stories and knowledge of sailing. Which man is more credible?
3. Why is Babbinton's promotion only considered an acting appointment?
4. Why does Maturin's desired outcome for Canning not come to pass?
5. What is Maturin's goal at the duel?
6. What are Aubrey's thoughts on the physical distance between him and Linois with the French Armada?
7. By the time the H.M.S. Surprise reaches Bombay, what is the condition of the ship and the crew and passengers?
8. How are Aubrey and Maturin's lives complicated by women in chapter seven?
9. What ruse is used to fool the French armada about the strength of the China fleet?
10. How does the East India Company reward Aubrey and the the East India Company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The H.M.S. Surprise by Patrick O'Brian is set in history over 200 years ago. Do you think the story can be told as well if set in today's society? What major changes can be made? How might the morality of society and the characters be different?
Essay Topic 2
A novel may have more than one theme, but each theme includes a subject and a verb. To say the theme of a poem is war, for instance, is incomplete. More appropriate would be to say the theme is that war is futile. Discuss a major theme in the novel H.M.S. Surprise. Explain why you believe it is a major theme and use evidence from the book to support your point.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use symbolism in the novel? How do the symbols contribute to the book?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)