|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin think of the gift Aubrey accepts from the captain of the Seringapatam?
2. In the sixth chapter, a second violent storm does what kind of damage to the H.M.S. Surprise?
3. Does Stanhope's death come as a surprise to others on the H.M.S. Surprise?
4. Is Stanhope the only passenger on the H.M.S. Surprise who suffers from seasickness?
5. What is the intended use of the gift Jack Aubrey accepts on behalf of Sophie from the captain of the Seringapatam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maturin's desired outcome for Canning not come to pass?
2. Why does Aubrey call together the captains when the H.M.S. Surprise returns to the China fleet?
3. What details about Diana's life in chapter seven suggest her morality might be questionable?
4. What is Maturin's reaction to Dil's death?
5. Why is Maturin's recovery of health surprising in chapter six?
6. Why is Stephen Maturin so visibly upset when he returns to the H.M.S. Surprise in chapter eight?
7. What are Aubrey's thoughts on the physical distance between him and Linois with the French Armada?
8. How does Stanhope's ill health finally affect Aubrey and his crew?
9. How do you describe Stanhope and his entourage from the stand point of the H.M.S. Surprise crew?
10. What ruse is used to fool the French armada about the strength of the China fleet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diana is a social outcast, but Maturin wants to rehabilitate her reputation. She, at one point, seems to give in to his proposal to save her by marrying him. Examine the motives of each of these characters in this relationship. Is success in this couple doomed from the start? Does either one understand what the other wants?
Essay Topic 2
A novel may have more than one theme, but each theme includes a subject and a verb. To say the theme of a poem is war, for instance, is incomplete. More appropriate would be to say the theme is that war is futile. Discuss a major theme in the novel H.M.S. Surprise. Explain why you believe it is a major theme and use evidence from the book to support your point.
Essay Topic 3
How do letters advance the plot of the novel? Think about letters written by any of the major characters. What kind of information does the author give the reader through letters? Are the letters an effective means of moving the plot?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)