Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Atkins and Stanhope are lectured about sailing by what man?
2. Besides the squall that maroons Maturin, what other frustrating weather does the H.M.S. Surprise experience near Brazil?
3. How does Diana respond to Maturin's proposal of marriage?
4. Does Stanhope's death come as a surprise to others on the H.M.S. Surprise?
5. What is Maturin's solution to his problems with Canning?
Essay Topic 1
Diana is a social outcast, but Maturin wants to rehabilitate her reputation. She, at one point, seems to give in to his proposal to save her by marrying him. Examine the motives of each of these characters in this relationship. Is success in this couple doomed from the start? Does either one understand what the other wants?
Essay Topic 2
A long voyage could be compared to a person's life. The voyage of the H.M.S. Surprise is months long and filled with adventure as well as some tedium. How does the voyage with its unsuccessful mission represent Aubrey's life?
Essay Topic 3
Debtor's prison is a concept that is unfamiliar to today's Western society. What is the logic of a debtor's prison? What do we do today to a person who defaults on loans? Why do you think the author includes this concept?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)