Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Atkins and Stanhope are lectured about sailing by what man?
2. Besides the squall that maroons Maturin, what other frustrating weather does the H.M.S. Surprise experience near Brazil?
3. How does Diana respond to Maturin's proposal of marriage?
4. Does Stanhope's death come as a surprise to others on the H.M.S. Surprise?
5. What is Maturin's solution to his problems with Canning?
Weather plays quite a role in the novel. What impact do the storms at sea in particular have on Aubrey and Maturin?
From the people who talk about or to Canning of the East India Company, what impression do you get of the status of Jews in that society? Consider in particular Marine Captain Etherege's comments and advice to Maturin.
How do letters advance the plot of the novel? Think about letters written by any of the major characters. What kind of information does the author give the reader through letters? Are the letters an effective means of moving the plot?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)