Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Atkins and Stanhope are lectured about sailing by what man?
2. Besides the squall that maroons Maturin, what other frustrating weather does the H.M.S. Surprise experience near Brazil?
3. How does Diana respond to Maturin's proposal of marriage?
4. Does Stanhope's death come as a surprise to others on the H.M.S. Surprise?
5. What is Maturin's solution to his problems with Canning?
Essay Topic 1
Stephen Maturin does not have official status aboard the H.M.S. Surprise. Although he serves as the ship's physician, Maturin is not a naval officer. How then does he relate to the crew? How does he treat the men, and what do they think of him?
Essay Topic 2
Debtor's prison is a concept that is unfamiliar to today's Western society. What is the logic of a debtor's prison? What do we do today to a person who defaults on loans? Why do you think the author includes this concept?
Essay Topic 3
Early in the novel, Stephen Maturin willingly discusses Jack Aubrey with Sophia who is engaged to Jack. That personal conversation contrasts with Maturin's awkward advice when Mr. Nicolls confesses misdeeds on their excursion to St. Paul's Rocks. What is the difference between the two conversations? What is Maturin's attitude toward Sophia and toward Nicolls? Does either conversation bring up any past incidents in Maturin's mind? What does Maturin's reaction in each conversation tell us about him?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)