|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fleet does the H.M.S. Surprise engage in battle with?
2. Which enemy ship does Aubrey think equals in battle to the H.M.S. Surprise?
3. Of what does Canning accuse Diana?
4. What is the rumor in Bombay about the position of the French Armada?
5. What maneuvering is involved in getting Maturin and his patient to their destination?
Essay Topic 1
Stephen Maturin does not have official status aboard the H.M.S. Surprise. Although he serves as the ship's physician, Maturin is not a naval officer. How then does he relate to the crew? How does he treat the men, and what do they think of him?
Essay Topic 2
Weather plays quite a role in the novel. What impact do the storms at sea in particular have on Aubrey and Maturin?
Essay Topic 3
Early in the novel, Stephen Maturin willingly discusses Jack Aubrey with Sophia who is engaged to Jack. That personal conversation contrasts with Maturin's awkward advice when Mr. Nicolls confesses misdeeds on their excursion to St. Paul's Rocks. What is the difference between the two conversations? What is Maturin's attitude toward Sophia and toward Nicolls? Does either conversation bring up any past incidents in Maturin's mind? What does Maturin's reaction in each conversation tell us about him?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)