Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Atkins and Stanhope are lectured about sailing by what man?
2. Besides the squall that maroons Maturin, what other frustrating weather does the H.M.S. Surprise experience near Brazil?
3. How does Diana respond to Maturin's proposal of marriage?
4. Does Stanhope's death come as a surprise to others on the H.M.S. Surprise?
5. What is Maturin's solution to his problems with Canning?
Essay Topic 1
Weather plays quite a role in the novel. What impact do the storms at sea in particular have on Aubrey and Maturin?
Essay Topic 2
Maturin throws naval terms about, but really has little knowledge of the sea and sailing vessels. Aubrey is a man at home on the water, but he faints at a surgical procedure. Why are these two men such devoted friends to each other? What does each give and receive in the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Both Stephen Maturin and Jack Aubrey assert control of their destinies. Maturin has the advantage of fortune, but Aubrey's heroism gains him position as well. What about the two major female characters? Do Sophia and Diana have control over their own fates? How does each woman assert herself?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)