|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general attitude towards Mr. Atkins?
2. Why must Maturin be rushed away from the duel scene?
3. In chapter six, how long is Maturin on the rocky islets?
4. What dangers does the H.M.S. Surprise face on the way to Calcutta?
5. What does Maturin think of the gift Aubrey accepts from the captain of the Seringapatam?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Aubrey and Maturin's lives complicated by women in chapter seven?
2. How does Stanhope's ill health finally affect Aubrey and his crew?
3. How are the officers of the H.M.S. Surprise treated by the China fleet?
4. What is the Marine Captain Etherege's approach to Maturin's desire to get satisfaction from Canning?
5. How does the East India Company reward Aubrey and the the East India Company?
6. By the time the H.M.S. Surprise reaches Bombay, what is the condition of the ship and the crew and passengers?
7. What is Maturin's goal at the duel?
8. Why does Aubrey call together the captains when the H.M.S. Surprise returns to the China fleet?
9. Why is Maturin's meeting with Canning awkward?
10. How do Aubrey and Stourton differ in their approaches to leadership on the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diana is a social outcast, but Maturin wants to rehabilitate her reputation. She, at one point, seems to give in to his proposal to save her by marrying him. Examine the motives of each of these characters in this relationship. Is success in this couple doomed from the start? Does either one understand what the other wants?
Essay Topic 2
How do letters advance the plot of the novel? Think about letters written by any of the major characters. What kind of information does the author give the reader through letters? Are the letters an effective means of moving the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Maturin throws naval terms about, but really has little knowledge of the sea and sailing vessels. Aubrey is a man at home on the water, but he faints at a surgical procedure. Why are these two men such devoted friends to each other? What does each give and receive in the relationship?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)