|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin think of the gift Aubrey accepts from the captain of the Seringapatam?
2. What personal tragedy recently happens to the captain of the Seringapatam?
3. What does Aubrey realize when he returns to the China fleet?
4. How does Diana respond to Maturin's proposal of marriage?
5. Which enemy ship does Aubrey think equals in battle to the H.M.S. Surprise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maturin's desired outcome for Canning not come to pass?
2. Why does Aubrey call together the captains when the H.M.S. Surprise returns to the China fleet?
3. How does the East India Company reward Aubrey and the the East India Company?
4. Why is Stephen Maturin so visibly upset when he returns to the H.M.S. Surprise in chapter eight?
5. What is Maturin's goal at the duel?
6. Why are Mr. Ahmed Smyth and Atkins at odds with one another?
7. Both Aubrey and Maturin entertain their shipmate's with stories and knowledge of sailing. Which man is more credible?
8. How do Aubrey and Stourton differ in their approaches to leadership on the ship?
9. What is the Marine Captain Etherege's approach to Maturin's desire to get satisfaction from Canning?
10. Why does Commodore temper his excitement after the sea victory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the people who talk about or to Canning of the East India Company, what impression do you get of the status of Jews in that society? Consider in particular Marine Captain Etherege's comments and advice to Maturin.
Essay Topic 2
As the two major characters in H.M.S. Surprise, are Stephen Maturin and Jack Aubrey foils for one another? Does each man stand out because the other is available for comparison?
Essay Topic 3
Weather plays quite a role in the novel. What impact do the storms at sea in particular have on Aubrey and Maturin?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)