|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dangers does the H.M.S. Surprise face on the way to Calcutta?
2. Of what does Canning accuse Diana?
3. How prosperous is the China fleet?
4. Why do Mr. White and Mr. Berkeley second guess their effort to come on the voyage of the H.M.S. Surprise?
5. How does Aubrey use the H.M.S. Surprise as a kind of decoy in his initial encounter with Linois' ships?
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is a plot device that prepares the readers for turns the story may take. Discuss foreshadowing in the novel. What happens or appears early in the novel and comes to be important in later chapters?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two vessels Jack Aubrey commands in the novel. Consider crews, assigned missions, Aubrey's comfort level, descriptions of the actual ships, and any other factor that is present in both. Conclude which is the better vessel over all for Aubrey's career advancement and why.
Essay Topic 3
Political influence, then as now, often gets things done. Describe how political influence is used in the novel by both Maturin and Sir Joseph.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)