|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As H.M.S. Surprise turns toward home, what group of ships does it first encounter?
2. Who acts as Maturin's second?
3. What two men occasionally play music on the ship during the voyage to India?
4. How does Diana respond to Maturin's proposal of marriage?
5. Why does the swell aid Aubrey and the China fleet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Mr. Ahmed Smyth and Atkins at odds with one another?
2. What do his interactions with Dil and Diana in chapter seven suggest about Maturin's view of his role with women?
3. By the time the H.M.S. Surprise reaches Bombay, what is the condition of the ship and the crew and passengers?
4. Why is Stephen Maturin so visibly upset when he returns to the H.M.S. Surprise in chapter eight?
5. How are Aubrey and Maturin's lives complicated by women in chapter seven?
6. What is Maturin's goal at the duel?
7. How does the East India Company reward Aubrey and the the East India Company?
8. How do you describe Stanhope and his entourage from the stand point of the H.M.S. Surprise crew?
9. Why might Pullings be disappointed with the actions of Mr. Hervey's uncle while the H.M.S. Surprise is anchored at Bombay?
10. How effective is Maturin's solution for Stanhope's health after the convulsing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stephen Maturin does not have official status aboard the H.M.S. Surprise. Although he serves as the ship's physician, Maturin is not a naval officer. How then does he relate to the crew? How does he treat the men, and what do they think of him?
Essay Topic 2
If it is the role of an antagonist to set obstacles in the way of the protagonist, who is then be considered the protagonist, and who is the antagonist in the novel? Explain using passages from the book.
Essay Topic 3
From the people who talk about or to Canning of the East India Company, what impression do you get of the status of Jews in that society? Consider in particular Marine Captain Etherege's comments and advice to Maturin.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)