|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for the argument in chapter seven between Aubrey and Maturin?
2. Who is waiting for Maturin at his lodging when Maturin returns from meeting with Diana?
3. What consumes all of Aubrey's time while the H.M.S. Surprise is anchored at Bombay?
4. What personal tragedy recently happens to the captain of the Seringapatam?
5. Who dies from his wounds a few days after the H.M.S. Surprise is in a battle with the French?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Pullings be disappointed with the actions of Mr. Hervey's uncle while the H.M.S. Surprise is anchored at Bombay?
2. What is Maturin's reaction to Dil's death?
3. What do his interactions with Dil and Diana in chapter seven suggest about Maturin's view of his role with women?
4. Why is Babbinton's promotion only considered an acting appointment?
5. What is the Marine Captain Etherege's approach to Maturin's desire to get satisfaction from Canning?
6. Both Aubrey and Maturin entertain their shipmate's with stories and knowledge of sailing. Which man is more credible?
7. How does the East India Company reward Aubrey and the the East India Company?
8. Why is Maturin's recovery of health surprising in chapter six?
9. Why is Maturin's meeting with Canning awkward?
10. By the time the H.M.S. Surprise reaches Bombay, what is the condition of the ship and the crew and passengers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Political influence, then as now, often gets things done. Describe how political influence is used in the novel by both Maturin and Sir Joseph.
Essay Topic 2
Weather plays quite a role in the novel. What impact do the storms at sea in particular have on Aubrey and Maturin?
Essay Topic 3
At times, the sea represents peace, particularly to Jack Aubrey. At other times in the novel, the sea causes death. Trace how the author uses the sea throughout the novel. Consider what the sea has to offer the crew of the H.M.S. Surprise. What does the sea offer to Aubrey in both challenges and opportunities? How does the sea affect the lives of the women in the novel? Do you think Aubrey will ever leave the sea for the cottage in his daydreams?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)