|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Atkins and Stanhope are lectured about sailing by what man?
2. Which enemy ship does Aubrey think equals in battle to the H.M.S. Surprise?
3. Of what does Canning accuse Diana?
4. What consumes all of Aubrey's time while the H.M.S. Surprise is anchored at Bombay?
5. While in Bombay, what does Maturin learn becomes of Sophie's sisters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you describe Stanhope and his entourage from the stand point of the H.M.S. Surprise crew?
2. How do Aubrey and Stourton differ in their approaches to leadership on the ship?
3. Why is Babbinton's promotion only considered an acting appointment?
4. Why is Stephen Maturin so visibly upset when he returns to the H.M.S. Surprise in chapter eight?
5. What is Maturin's reaction to Dil's death?
6. Why is Maturin's meeting with Canning awkward?
7. What ruse is used to fool the French armada about the strength of the China fleet?
8. How are Aubrey and Maturin's lives complicated by women in chapter seven?
9. How does Stanhope's ill health finally affect Aubrey and his crew?
10. What is the Marine Captain Etherege's approach to Maturin's desire to get satisfaction from Canning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stephen Maturin does not have official status aboard the H.M.S. Surprise. Although he serves as the ship's physician, Maturin is not a naval officer. How then does he relate to the crew? How does he treat the men, and what do they think of him?
Essay Topic 2
A novel may have more than one theme, but each theme includes a subject and a verb. To say the theme of a poem is war, for instance, is incomplete. More appropriate would be to say the theme is that war is futile. Discuss a major theme in the novel H.M.S. Surprise. Explain why you believe it is a major theme and use evidence from the book to support your point.
Essay Topic 3
From the people who talk about or to Canning of the East India Company, what impression do you get of the status of Jews in that society? Consider in particular Marine Captain Etherege's comments and advice to Maturin.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)