|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of chapter six, where does the ship arrive at harbor?
2. Why must Maturin be rushed away from the duel scene?
3. What personal tragedy recently happens to the captain of the Seringapatam?
4. What consumes all of Aubrey's time while the H.M.S. Surprise is anchored at Bombay?
5. Who becomes second lieutenant after Nicolls is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Aubrey and Maturin's lives complicated by women in chapter seven?
2. How does the East India Company reward Aubrey and the the East India Company?
3. Why is Stephen Maturin so visibly upset when he returns to the H.M.S. Surprise in chapter eight?
4. Why are Mr. Ahmed Smyth and Atkins at odds with one another?
5. What do his interactions with Dil and Diana in chapter seven suggest about Maturin's view of his role with women?
6. How do Aubrey and Stourton differ in their approaches to leadership on the ship?
7. What are Aubrey's thoughts on the physical distance between him and Linois with the French Armada?
8. How are the officers of the H.M.S. Surprise treated by the China fleet?
9. How do you describe Stanhope and his entourage from the stand point of the H.M.S. Surprise crew?
10. How does Stanhope's ill health finally affect Aubrey and his crew?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the two vessels Jack Aubrey commands in the novel. Consider crews, assigned missions, Aubrey's comfort level, descriptions of the actual ships, and any other factor that is present in both. Conclude which is the better vessel over all for Aubrey's career advancement and why.
Essay Topic 2
Early in the novel, the Chinese and Japanese of the crew on the H.M.S. Lively massacre every one of the French men during the engagement near Cape Gooseberry. Aubrey leaves out the details of the violence when he writes to Sophia about the victory. Why do you think the pressed sailors are so brutal? By leaving out the details of the bloodshed, from what is Aubrey trying to protect Sophia? Is the excessive violence due to a cultural difference? What do you think Aubrey has to say about that?
Essay Topic 3
As the two major characters in H.M.S. Surprise, are Stephen Maturin and Jack Aubrey foils for one another? Does each man stand out because the other is available for comparison?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)