|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ideas does Aubrey take from his time with the China fleet?
2. What does Aubrey think of Canning in chapter ten?
3. What two men occasionally play music on the ship during the voyage to India?
4. What woman does Maturin visit in Calcutta?
5. To whom does Aubry write shortly after leaving Bombay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you describe Stanhope and his entourage from the stand point of the H.M.S. Surprise crew?
2. Why is Babbinton's promotion only considered an acting appointment?
3. Why is Maturin's meeting with Canning awkward?
4. How does the East India Company reward Aubrey and the the East India Company?
5. What details about Diana's life in chapter seven suggest her morality might be questionable?
6. What is Maturin's reaction to Dil's death?
7. How does Stanhope's ill health finally affect Aubrey and his crew?
8. Why is Maturin's recovery of health surprising in chapter six?
9. What do his interactions with Dil and Diana in chapter seven suggest about Maturin's view of his role with women?
10. Why does Maturin's desired outcome for Canning not come to pass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At times, the sea represents peace, particularly to Jack Aubrey. At other times in the novel, the sea causes death. Trace how the author uses the sea throughout the novel. Consider what the sea has to offer the crew of the H.M.S. Surprise. What does the sea offer to Aubrey in both challenges and opportunities? How does the sea affect the lives of the women in the novel? Do you think Aubrey will ever leave the sea for the cottage in his daydreams?
Essay Topic 2
Maturin throws naval terms about, but really has little knowledge of the sea and sailing vessels. Aubrey is a man at home on the water, but he faints at a surgical procedure. Why are these two men such devoted friends to each other? What does each give and receive in the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two vessels Jack Aubrey commands in the novel. Consider crews, assigned missions, Aubrey's comfort level, descriptions of the actual ships, and any other factor that is present in both. Conclude which is the better vessel over all for Aubrey's career advancement and why.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)