|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Atkins and Stanhope are lectured about sailing by what man?
2. Besides the squall that maroons Maturin, what other frustrating weather does the H.M.S. Surprise experience near Brazil?
3. How does Diana respond to Maturin's proposal of marriage?
4. Does Stanhope's death come as a surprise to others on the H.M.S. Surprise?
5. What is Maturin's solution to his problems with Canning?
Essay Topic 1
The H.M.S. Surprise by Patrick O'Brian is set in history over 200 years ago. Do you think the story can be told as well if set in today's society? What major changes can be made? How might the morality of society and the characters be different?
Essay Topic 2
Maturin throws naval terms about, but really has little knowledge of the sea and sailing vessels. Aubrey is a man at home on the water, but he faints at a surgical procedure. Why are these two men such devoted friends to each other? What does each give and receive in the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Diana is a social outcast, but Maturin wants to rehabilitate her reputation. She, at one point, seems to give in to his proposal to save her by marrying him. Examine the motives of each of these characters in this relationship. Is success in this couple doomed from the start? Does either one understand what the other wants?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)