|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jack Aubrey familiar with Port Mahon?
2. In chapter thret, how do Aubrey and members of his crew gain access to Port Mahon?
3. What becomes of the biological specimens collected on the rocks?
4. Why are many of the prisoners in bad physical condition at Port Mahon's French prison?
5. What is found on the French gunboat that may aid Aubrey against the French?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Maturin have any experience in counseling?
2. What prospects of freedom do the freed prisoners have?
3. What does Sophie Williams think of Maturin's approach to wooing Diana Villiers?
4. During the meeting of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, why is Sir Joseph Blain worried about the First Lord's mention of Dr. Stephen Maturin?
5. What special advantage is there in Aubrey's capturing of the French gunboat?
6. If the sea can represent peace to someone like Aubrey, how are the results of the terrible storm ironic?
7. Why is the whereabouts of the French officer Dutourd a potential problem?
8. What negative influences have an impact on Jack Aubrey's career?
9. How does Jack Aubrey come to command the H.M.S. Lively?
10. What details does Aubrey omit from his letter to Sophie about the land raid he and the crew perform while headed for Minorca?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diana is a social outcast, but Maturin wants to rehabilitate her reputation. She, at one point, seems to give in to his proposal to save her by marrying him. Examine the motives of each of these characters in this relationship. Is success in this couple doomed from the start? Does either one understand what the other wants?
Essay Topic 2
Debtor's prison is a concept that is unfamiliar to today's Western society. What is the logic of a debtor's prison? What do we do today to a person who defaults on loans? Why do you think the author includes this concept?
Essay Topic 3
From the people who talk about or to Canning of the East India Company, what impression do you get of the status of Jews in that society? Consider in particular Marine Captain Etherege's comments and advice to Maturin.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)