|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Nicolls, the second lieutenant, appear during the inspection?
2. What history, if any, does Aubrey have with the H.M.S. Surprise?
3. Maturin pays to stay informed of the whereabouts of whom?
4. Sophie talks to Maturin in chapter one about the temporary assignment of whom?
5. By what means does Aubrey sneak away from the Grapes in order to meet with Sophie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Maturin have any experience in counseling?
2. Describe the encounter between Aubrey's crew members and the French guard detail at the prison.
3. What does Sophie Williams think of Maturin's approach to wooing Diana Villiers?
4. Why is the voyage to Kampong be good for Stephen Maturin?
5. How is Maturin an advocate for Aubrey concerning the H.M.S. Surprise?
6. How does Maturin react to the prospect of collecting biological specimens?
7. Why does Maturin discuss Captain Jack Aubrey with Sophie?
8. What allusion does Maturin make while marooned on the rocks?
9. How does Jack Aubrey come to command the H.M.S. Lively?
10. What does Maturin think of the possible consequences of the First Lord's mention of the doctor's name during a meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the people who talk about or to Canning of the East India Company, what impression do you get of the status of Jews in that society? Consider in particular Marine Captain Etherege's comments and advice to Maturin.
Essay Topic 2
Political influence, then as now, often gets things done. Describe how political influence is used in the novel by both Maturin and Sir Joseph.
Essay Topic 3
Diana is a social outcast, but Maturin wants to rehabilitate her reputation. She, at one point, seems to give in to his proposal to save her by marrying him. Examine the motives of each of these characters in this relationship. Is success in this couple doomed from the start? Does either one understand what the other wants?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)