|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dangers does the H.M.S. Surprise face on the way to Calcutta?
(a) She takes on water due to the damage from the battle.
(b) The French fleet again finds the ship.
(c) Torn sails make her go off course.
(d) Scurvy again plagues the ship.
2. What animal does Maturin catch on the coast of Brazil?
(b) A new species of crab.
3. At the end of chapter six, where does the ship arrive at harbor?
(b) Santiago, Chile.
4. Who dies from his wounds a few days after the H.M.S. Surprise is in a battle with the French?
5. What gift does the Seringapatam's captain make to Jack Aubrey?
(a) Pearls for Sophia.
(b) Some captured treasure.
(c) A finely detailed sword.
(d) A bird of paradise.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Bombay, does Maturin's logic convince Aubrey that he should not worry about Sophie's impressions?
2. Does Stanhope's death come as a surprise to others on the H.M.S. Surprise?
3. As the voyage progresses around South America, does the health of Stanhope improve?
4. What does Stanhope's physical condition push Aubrey to do in spite of safety concerns?
5. What is the rumor in Bombay about the position of the French Armada?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Marine Captain Etherege's approach to Maturin's desire to get satisfaction from Canning?
2. Why does Aubrey call together the captains when the H.M.S. Surprise returns to the China fleet?
3. How are Aubrey and Maturin's lives complicated by women in chapter seven?
4. Why does Commodore temper his excitement after the sea victory?
5. How are the officers of the H.M.S. Surprise treated by the China fleet?
6. Why is Maturin's recovery of health surprising in chapter six?
7. How does the East India Company reward Aubrey and the the East India Company?
8. Both Aubrey and Maturin entertain their shipmate's with stories and knowledge of sailing. Which man is more credible?
9. How does Stanhope's ill health finally affect Aubrey and his crew?
10. Why are Mr. Ahmed Smyth and Atkins at odds with one another?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)