|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Aubrey use the H.M.S. Surprise as a kind of decoy in his initial encounter with Linois' ships?
(a) He disguises the H.M.S. Surprise as a commercial vessel.
(b) He gets just out of gun distance before Linois fires.
(c) He changes direction so quickly that it fools Linois.
(d) He gets Linois to chase away from the China fleet.
2. Who represents the East India Company in Calcutta?
(b) Mr. Atkins.
(c) Commodore Moffit.
3. Why must Maturin be rushed away from the duel scene?
(a) Aubrey sendsfor him.
(b) Canning's relatives threaten Maturin.
(c) Calcutta law forbids dueling.
(d) Diana sends for Maturin.
4. Of what does Canning accuse Diana?
(a) Slowly losing her mind.
(b) Wanting to kill him.
(c) Being unfaithful to him.
(d) Stealing from him.
5. What woman does Maturin visit in Calcutta?
(a) He visits Commodore Moffit's wife.
(b) He encounters Mrs. Williams.
(c) He again sees Diana.
(d) He finds Dil's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin think of the gift Aubrey accepts from the captain of the Seringapatam?
2. Whom does Maturin teach to read and write in chapter six?
3. What gift does Maturin make to Dil?
4. In Bombay, does Maturin's logic convince Aubrey that he should not worry about Sophie's impressions?
5. Who becomes second lieutenant after Nicolls is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Both Aubrey and Maturin entertain their shipmate's with stories and knowledge of sailing. Which man is more credible?
2. How are Aubrey and Maturin's lives complicated by women in chapter seven?
3. Why might Pullings be disappointed with the actions of Mr. Hervey's uncle while the H.M.S. Surprise is anchored at Bombay?
4. How do you describe Stanhope and his entourage from the stand point of the H.M.S. Surprise crew?
5. What is the Marine Captain Etherege's approach to Maturin's desire to get satisfaction from Canning?
6. Why is Maturin's meeting with Canning awkward?
7. Why is Maturin's recovery of health surprising in chapter six?
8. Why does Maturin's desired outcome for Canning not come to pass?
9. How effective is Maturin's solution for Stanhope's health after the convulsing?
10. What are Aubrey's thoughts on the physical distance between him and Linois with the French Armada?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)