|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what woman does Maturin think during chapter six?
(a) Diana Villiers.
(b) Mr. Nicolls' widow.
(c) Mrs. Williams.
2. What does Maturin think of the gift Aubrey accepts from the captain of the Seringapatam?
(a) He relates the plumage to attraction for mating purposes.
(b) He uses the treasure to lecture Aubrey about debts.
(c) He goes on about the history of cutlery.
(d) He says jewlry is frivolous.
3. What gift does the Seringapatam's captain make to Jack Aubrey?
(a) Some captured treasure.
(b) Pearls for Sophia.
(c) A bird of paradise.
(d) A finely detailed sword.
4. What affect does the heat and exposure on St. Paul's Rocks have on Stephen Maturin.
(a) His health deteriorates.
(b) He begins to experience hallucinations.
(c) He regains his health.
(d) He becomes depressed.
5. What is the reason for the argument in chapter seven between Aubrey and Maturin?
(a) They argue about the new first lieutenant.
(b) They argue about their loves, Sophia and Diana.
(c) Maturin accuses Aubrey of being unfaithful to Sophia.
(d) Aubrey accuses Maturin of gambling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stanhope's physical condition push Aubrey to do in spite of safety concerns?
2. What dangers does the H.M.S. Surprise face on the way to Calcutta?
3. In what context in chapter eight does Aubrey see Sophia acting as a good wife?
4. How does Aubrey use the H.M.S. Surprise as a kind of decoy in his initial encounter with Linois' ships?
5. In chapter six, how long is Maturin on the rocky islets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aubrey call together the captains when the H.M.S. Surprise returns to the China fleet?
2. What are Aubrey's thoughts on the physical distance between him and Linois with the French Armada?
3. What is Maturin's reaction to Dil's death?
4. What ruse is used to fool the French armada about the strength of the China fleet?
5. Why is Stephen Maturin so visibly upset when he returns to the H.M.S. Surprise in chapter eight?
6. Is there any point in the long voyage when the people on board are in grave danger?
7. Why does Maturin's desired outcome for Canning not come to pass?
8. How does Stanhope's ill health finally affect Aubrey and his crew?
9. Why is Maturin's meeting with Canning awkward?
10. Why is Maturin's recovery of health surprising in chapter six?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)