|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who acts as Maturin's second?
(a) Diana's brother.
(b) Marine Captain Etherege.
(c) Captain Aubrey,
2. What does Aubrey show Maturin when they climb into the foretop?
(a) Where sailors hide trinkets.
(b) Iinitials Aubrey carves years before.
(c) Ships repairs.
(d) The French fleet.
3. What does Aubrey realize when he returns to the China fleet?
(a) The China fleet sumpathizes with the French.
(b) The China fleet is not able to help him.
(c) He is completely fooled the French armada.
(d) The French armada finds the China fleet as well.
4. As H.M.S. Surprise turns toward home, what group of ships does it first encounter?
(a) Local fishing boats.
(b) China fleet.
(c) Spanish vessels.
(d) French armada.
5. What threat does Aubrey make in respect to Maturin?
(a) To tell Canning of Maturin's intentions.
(b) To leave Bombay without Maturin.
(c) To have Maturin arrested.
(d) To ruin Maturin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what context in chapter eight does Aubrey see Sophia acting as a good wife?
2. Why do Mr. White and Mr. Berkeley second guess their effort to come on the voyage of the H.M.S. Surprise?
3. What animal does Maturin catch on the coast of Brazil?
4. Which enemy ship does Aubrey think equals in battle to the H.M.S. Surprise?
5. While Aubrey and Maturin are up in the foretop, what sighting does the crew make?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the time the H.M.S. Surprise reaches Bombay, what is the condition of the ship and the crew and passengers?
2. How do Aubrey and Stourton differ in their approaches to leadership on the ship?
3. How effective is Maturin's solution for Stanhope's health after the convulsing?
4. How do you describe Stanhope and his entourage from the stand point of the H.M.S. Surprise crew?
5. What details about Diana's life in chapter seven suggest her morality might be questionable?
6. Why is Maturin's recovery of health surprising in chapter six?
7. Why might Pullings be disappointed with the actions of Mr. Hervey's uncle while the H.M.S. Surprise is anchored at Bombay?
8. What are Aubrey's thoughts on the physical distance between him and Linois with the French Armada?
9. Why does Commodore temper his excitement after the sea victory?
10. What do his interactions with Dil and Diana in chapter seven suggest about Maturin's view of his role with women?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)