|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Maturin catch on the coast of Brazil?
(a) A new species of crab.
2. While Aubrey and Maturin are up in the foretop, what sighting does the crew make?
(a) Someone glimpses dolphins.
(b) They see a sail in the distance.
(c) One member yells that he sees several ships.
(d) They catch sight of an island.
3. When they meet, what does Diana tell Maturin about her relationship with Canning?
(a) Canning is running out of money.
(b) Canning still loves his wife.
(c) Canning makes her happy.
(d) They often fight.
4. What does Maturin think of the gift Aubrey accepts from the captain of the Seringapatam?
(a) He says jewlry is frivolous.
(b) He goes on about the history of cutlery.
(c) He uses the treasure to lecture Aubrey about debts.
(d) He relates the plumage to attraction for mating purposes.
5. How does Mr. Stourton become first lieutenant on H.M.S. Surprise?
(a) Maturin gets Aubrey to promote Stourton.
(b) Official notice from England orders the promotion.
(c) An admiral appointments him.
(d) Aubrey promotes him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aubrey show Maturin when they climb into the foretop?
2. At the end of chapter six, where does the ship arrive at harbor?
3. How does Aubrey use the H.M.S. Surprise as a kind of decoy in his initial encounter with Linois' ships?
4. What are the losses suffered by the H.M.S. Surprise and the China fleet in their encounter with Linois?
5. What becomes of Stanhope's entourage?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the time the H.M.S. Surprise reaches Bombay, what is the condition of the ship and the crew and passengers?
2. Why is Maturin's recovery of health surprising in chapter six?
3. Why is Stephen Maturin so visibly upset when he returns to the H.M.S. Surprise in chapter eight?
4. What details about Diana's life in chapter seven suggest her morality might be questionable?
5. Why does Aubrey call together the captains when the H.M.S. Surprise returns to the China fleet?
6. How effective is Maturin's solution for Stanhope's health after the convulsing?
7. Why is Babbinton's promotion only considered an acting appointment?
8. What is Maturin's reaction to Dil's death?
9. Why might Pullings be disappointed with the actions of Mr. Hervey's uncle while the H.M.S. Surprise is anchored at Bombay?
10. How are Aubrey and Maturin's lives complicated by women in chapter seven?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)