|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What personal tragedy recently happens to the captain of the Seringapatam?
(a) His wife dies.
(b) He loses a brother in a battle with the French.
(c) His wife leaves him.
(d) He is told he must retire.
2. What ideas does Aubrey take from his time with the China fleet?
(a) A new method of rigging.
(b) Better food on the China's flagship,
(c) A new approach to discipline.
(d) Maneuvers to use on the French.
3. What fleet does the H.M.S. Surprise engage in battle with?
(a) China fleet.
(b) French Armada.
(c) Spanish fleet.
(d) Group of British mutineers.
4. What gift does the Seringapatam's captain make to Jack Aubrey?
(a) Some captured treasure.
(b) A bird of paradise.
(c) Pearls for Sophia.
(d) A finely detailed sword.
5. To whom does Aubry write shortly after leaving Bombay?
(a) Mrs. Williams.
(b) Mrs. Pullings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the rumor in Bombay about the position of the French Armada?
2. What consumes all of Aubrey's time while the H.M.S. Surprise is anchored at Bombay?
3. Among the vessels of Linois, which is the most imposing to Aubrey?
4. What is Maturin's understanding of Stanhope's deteriorating health?
5. When they meet, what does Diana tell Maturin about her relationship with Canning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Aubrey's thoughts on the physical distance between him and Linois with the French Armada?
2. How effective is Maturin's solution for Stanhope's health after the convulsing?
3. What is Maturin's reaction to Dil's death?
4. How does Stanhope's ill health finally affect Aubrey and his crew?
5. What ruse is used to fool the French armada about the strength of the China fleet?
6. By the time the H.M.S. Surprise reaches Bombay, what is the condition of the ship and the crew and passengers?
7. Why is Maturin's meeting with Canning awkward?
8. How do you describe Stanhope and his entourage from the stand point of the H.M.S. Surprise crew?
9. What do his interactions with Dil and Diana in chapter seven suggest about Maturin's view of his role with women?
10. What details about Diana's life in chapter seven suggest her morality might be questionable?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)