|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Nicolls, the second lieutenant, appear during the inspection?
(a) He is a good example for the rest of the sailors.
(b) He is late and then rude to the other officers.
(c) He refuses to appear on deck.
(d) He is dirty and unkept.
2. From what disorder does Aubrey think some of the men are suffering?
(b) Psychological problems.
3. How does Maturin get to the gunboat after the escape from the Port Mahon prison?
(a) He swims across the harbor.
(b) He walks the long way around the island.
(c) He is strapped to a board and carried.
(d) He ride a horse left by Maragall.
4. What is Captain Aubrey's attitude toward an opportunity to command H.M.S. Surprise?
(a) He fears he owes too much to Maturin.
(b) He is thrilled.
(c) He thinks his career will stall.
(d) He is disappointed that he doesn't get a better offer.
5. What history, if any, does Aubrey have with the H.M.S. Surprise?
(a) He serves on the vessel when he is younger.
(b) H.M.S. Surprise is another blockade vessel.
(c) He hears the H.M.S. Surprise is bad luck.
(d) He's never heard of the vessel.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the book, with whom is Dr. Stephen Maturin recently involved romantically?
2. In chapter five, does the envoy Stanhope enjoy his voyage on H.M.S. Surprise?
3. What problems, if any, does the inspection of the H.M.S. Surprise uncover?
4. What does Margall tell Aubrey about Maturin's status on Minorca?
5. What does Aubrey hope to make the Port Mahon rescue appear to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Aubrey and his men intend to do when they gather at the prison where Maturin is being held?
2. Why do Diana Villiers and Richard Canning leave England for India?
3. Why is the voyage to Kampong be good for Stephen Maturin?
4. How does Maturin react to the prospect of collecting biological specimens?
5. How does Jack Aubrey come to command the H.M.S. Lively?
6. How is Maturin an advocate for Aubrey concerning the H.M.S. Surprise?
7. During Aubrey's problems in chapter four, how does the relationship between Mrs. Williams and Sophie fare?
8. During the meeting of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, why is Sir Joseph Blain worried about the First Lord's mention of Dr. Stephen Maturin?
9. Why is the whereabouts of the French officer Dutourd a potential problem?
10. What is the condition of the prisoner Maturin when Aubrey's crew take him away from the prison?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)