|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The islet of St. Paul's Rocks is located where?
(a) In the Meditteranean.
(b) A day's voyage north of England.
(c) Near the coast of Brazil.
(d) South and west of India.
2. In chapter five, does the envoy Stanhope enjoy his voyage on H.M.S. Surprise?
(a) He is enthusiastic about serving on the crew.
(b) He is very ill and unhappy.
(c) He gets joy from the beautiful scenery.
(d) He is in constant fear that the French are after him.
3. What is Nicolls' general state of mind when he takes the side trip with Maturin?
(a) He is anxious to further his career.
(b) He is enthusiastic about the voyage.
(c) He is in despair.
(d) He is unhappy with Aubrey's treatment of him.
4. At the beginning of the book, with whom is Dr. Stephen Maturin recently involved romantically?
(b) Sophie's sister.
(c) A secret romantic interest.
(d) Diana Villiers.
5. During their short trip in the rowboat, what surprising weather catches Nicolls and Maturin off guard?
(a) The extreme heat.
(b) A cooling breeze.
(c) A sudden and severe storm.
(d) A prolonged calm.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the French soldiers guarding the prisoners at Port Mahon escape harm?
2. To what kind of lecture does Maturin go to in Chapter one?
3. What close friend do Sophie and Dr. Stephen Maturin have in common?
4. In chapter one, what is the assignment of H.M.S. Lively?
5. Who visit Maturin during his convalescence to record his experiences with the French at Minorca?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the voyage to Kampong be good for Stephen Maturin?
2. What does Sophie Williams think of Maturin's approach to wooing Diana Villiers?
3. Why is Nicolls almost inconsolable?
4. What special advantage is there in Aubrey's capturing of the French gunboat?
5. What set of circumstance allows Aubrey and some of his crew easy access to the French controlled Port Mahon?
6. What details does Aubrey omit from his letter to Sophie about the land raid he and the crew perform while headed for Minorca?
7. What negative influences have an impact on Jack Aubrey's career?
8. Does Maturin have any experience in counseling?
9. How does Jack Aubrey come to command the H.M.S. Lively?
10. How does Aubrey learn he is to break station and sail to Minorca?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)