|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter thret, how do Aubrey and members of his crew gain access to Port Mahon?
(a) They use the cover of the night.
(b) They use the French boat they capture.
(c) They use Maragall's Spanish boat.
(d) They pretend to be a group of fishermen.
2. What is found on the French gunboat that may aid Aubrey against the French?
(a) Intercepted English messages.
(b) An English prisoner.
(c) Current French codebook.
(d) Cache of weapons.
3. What does Aubrey hope to make the Port Mahon rescue appear to be?
(a) English attack.
(b) Unaided uprising of jailed men.
(c) Work of pirates.
(d) Locals aiding the prisoners.
4. In chapter five, Maturin and Nicolls set off in a rowboat to what location?
(a) They row to the shore of Brazil.
(b) They take an extended trip to a deserted monastery.
(c) They row to another English vessel.
(d) They go to St. Paul's Rocks.
5. What becomes of Bonden and Killick when Aubrey assumes his new command in chapter four?
(a) They fight at a tavern and are thrown in jail.
(b) They do not get to port in time to sail.
(c) Killick serves with Aubrey but Bonden disappears.
(d) They serve aboard the H.M.S. Surprise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who conducts the inspection of H.M.S. Surprise in chapter five?
2. What close friend do Sophie and Dr. Stephen Maturin have in common?
3. In chapter one, what is the assignment of H.M.S. Lively?
4. When Aubrey first goes ashore on Minorca, who approaches him and wants to talk about Maturin?
5. Who visit Maturin during his convalescence to record his experiences with the French at Minorca?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maturin discuss Captain Jack Aubrey with Sophie?
2. What is the condition of the prisoner Maturin when Aubrey's crew take him away from the prison?
3. What prospects of freedom do the freed prisoners have?
4. Describe the encounter between Aubrey's crew members and the French guard detail at the prison.
5. Why do Bonden and Killick stay with Stephen when they all return to England in chapter four?
6. Why is the whereabouts of the French officer Dutourd a potential problem?
7. How is Maturin an advocate for Aubrey concerning the H.M.S. Surprise?
8. What does Sophie Williams think of Maturin's approach to wooing Diana Villiers?
9. Why do Diana Villiers and Richard Canning leave England for India?
10. How does Jack Aubrey come to command the H.M.S. Lively?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)