|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As H.M.S. Surprise turns toward home, what group of ships does it first encounter?
(a) French armada.
(b) Spanish vessels.
(c) Local fishing boats.
(d) China fleet.
2. Atkins and Stanhope are lectured about sailing by what man?
(a) Mr. Smith.
3. Why does Aubrey meet with the first lieutenant Stourton shortly after the ship sets sail out of Bombay?
(a) Aubry wants to brief him on how the ship is run.
(b) Aubrey asks Stourton about the French fleet.
(c) Stourton accounts for the ship's money.
(d) Stourton asks to discuss navigation.
4. What is the reason for the argument in chapter seven between Aubrey and Maturin?
(a) They argue about their loves, Sophia and Diana.
(b) Maturin accuses Aubrey of being unfaithful to Sophia.
(c) Aubrey accuses Maturin of gambling.
(d) They argue about the new first lieutenant.
5. What threat does Aubrey make in respect to Maturin?
(a) To have Maturin arrested.
(b) To leave Bombay without Maturin.
(c) To ruin Maturin.
(d) To tell Canning of Maturin's intentions.
6. What consumes all of Aubrey's time while the H.M.S. Surprise is anchored at Bombay?
(a) He helps Maturin with business.
(b) He searches for Diana.
(c) He takes a vacation.
(d) He supervises refitting the ship.
7. What does Maturin do to at least partly ease his conscience about Dil's murder?
(a) He promises to help Dil's siblings.
(b) He sends money to Dil's family.
(c) He pays for Dil's funeral.
(d) He sends money to Diana to have Dil's body buried.
8. In chapter six, how long is Maturin on the rocky islets?
(a) For weeks.
(b) 24 hours.
(c) 7 days.
(d) Three days.
9. Who surprises Maturin and Diana with an early arrival?
10. What diet addition helps the crew of the H.M.S. Surprise combat scurvy?
(a) Calcium in cheese.
(b) Fresh vegetables and citrus fruit.
(c) More protein.
(d) More salt.
11. At the end of chapter six, where does the ship arrive at harbor?
(c) Santiago, Chile.
12. What dangers does the H.M.S. Surprise face on the way to Calcutta?
(a) Torn sails make her go off course.
(b) She takes on water due to the damage from the battle.
(c) The French fleet again finds the ship.
(d) Scurvy again plagues the ship.
13. What is Aubrey's reaction to Stanhope's demise?
(a) He is glad to be rid of the burden.
(b) He feels the voyage is for nothing.
(c) He is optimistic that their troubles are over.
(d) He is sad to lose his chess partner.
14. How does Aubrey use the H.M.S. Surprise as a kind of decoy in his initial encounter with Linois' ships?
(a) He gets just out of gun distance before Linois fires.
(b) He changes direction so quickly that it fools Linois.
(c) He gets Linois to chase away from the China fleet.
(d) He disguises the H.M.S. Surprise as a commercial vessel.
15. How does Mr. Stourton become first lieutenant on H.M.S. Surprise?
(a) Maturin gets Aubrey to promote Stourton.
(b) An admiral appointments him.
(c) Official notice from England orders the promotion.
(d) Aubrey promotes him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is appointed as acting third lieutenant after Maturin returns without Nicolls?
2. What fleet does the H.M.S. Surprise engage in battle with?
3. Why must Maturin be rushed away from the duel scene?
4. What do Diana and Maturin discuss about the local girl Dil?
5. Why do Mr. White and Mr. Berkeley second guess their effort to come on the voyage of the H.M.S. Surprise?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)