|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aubrey realize when he returns to the China fleet?
(a) The China fleet sumpathizes with the French.
(b) The French armada finds the China fleet as well.
(c) He is completely fooled the French armada.
(d) The China fleet is not able to help him.
2. What maneuvering is involved in getting Maturin and his patient to their destination?
(a) Locals to send out a small craft.
(b) It involves towing the ship.
(c) They have to quickly change sails.
(d) They must carefully sail through rocks.
3. Why does Maturin not go to see Diana when he first finds out where she lives in Bombay?
(a) He is anxious about her reaction.
(b) Her lover Canning is at home.
(c) He cannot find the street.
(d) She is out of town.
4. What does Aubrey show Maturin when they climb into the foretop?
(a) Where sailors hide trinkets.
(b) The French fleet.
(c) Iinitials Aubrey carves years before.
(d) Ships repairs.
5. Why do Mr. White and Mr. Berkeley second guess their effort to come on the voyage of the H.M.S. Surprise?
(a) They are embarrassed to be of no help.
(b) They are paid poorly by Stanhope.
(c) They are frightened by a severe storm.
(d) They resent the way they are treated by the crew.
6. With what plan of Aubrey does Commodore Moffit fully agree?
(a) Destroying French rigging to allow for escape.
(b) To sail back to India for help.
(c) To surrender.
(d) To escape the French fleet under the cover of darkness.
7. In the sixth chapter, a second violent storm does what kind of damage to the H.M.S. Surprise?
(a) All the rigging is lost.
(b) The ship is undamaged.
(c) Two sails are torn.
(d) Destruction of the foremost.
8. What is the general attitude towards Mr. Atkins?
(a) The crew members like Atkins.
(b) Only Stanhope likes Atkins.
(c) Only Aubrey befriends Atkins.
(d) Maturin likes and respects Atkins.
9. What do Diana and Maturin discuss about the local girl Dil?
(a) He complains about Dil's laziness.
(b) He asks Diana to hire Dil.
(c) He wants to help Dil.
(d) He is afraid of scandal.
10. What animal does Maturin catch on the coast of Brazil?
(a) A new species of crab.
11. Whose navigation abilities does Jack Aubrey doubt in chapter eight?
(c) His own.
12. In what context in chapter eight does Aubrey see Sophia acting as a good wife?
(a) Sophia reminds him of his mother.
(b) He listens to Maturin's praise of Sophia.
(c) He plans their wedding.
(d) He daydreams about Sophia and children.
13. In Bombay, does Maturin's logic convince Aubrey that he should not worry about Sophie's impressions?
(a) Aubrey is not convinced.
(b) Mr. White explains Maturin's logic.
(c) Aubrey decides not to worry.
(d) Aubrey does not understand Maturin.
14. What is the reason for the argument in chapter seven between Aubrey and Maturin?
(a) They argue about the new first lieutenant.
(b) Maturin accuses Aubrey of being unfaithful to Sophia.
(c) Aubrey accuses Maturin of gambling.
(d) They argue about their loves, Sophia and Diana.
15. At the end of chapter six, where does the ship arrive at harbor?
(d) Santiago, Chile.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Canning accuse Diana?
2. What does Canning do to Maturin?
3. What is the rumor in Bombay about the position of the French Armada?
4. How does Diana respond to Maturin's proposal of marriage?
5. What benefit does Mr. Hervey's uncle arrange for Aubrey in Bombay?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)