|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new symptoms does Stanhope display after leaving Bombay?
(a) He succumbs to scurvy.
(b) He develops a rash.
(c) He loses his sight.
(d) He vomits blood and convulses.
2. What is the intended use of the gift Jack Aubrey accepts on behalf of Sophie from the captain of the Seringapatam?
(a) The bird's plumage is for a fancy hat.
(b) The pearls are for a necklace.
(c) Money from selling the treasure is to pay off debts.
(d) The sword is to hang above a fireplace.
3. As the voyage progresses around South America, does the health of Stanhope improve?
(a) He returns to perfect health.
(b) He shows marked improvement.
(c) He does not regain good health.
(d) He loses the use of his legs.
4. Whom does Maturin teach to read and write in chapter six?
(b) Mr. Pullings.
(c) Most of the crew.
(d) Mr. White.
5. Of what does Canning accuse Diana?
(a) Slowly losing her mind.
(b) Stealing from him.
(c) Wanting to kill him.
(d) Being unfaithful to him.
6. What is the general attitude towards Mr. Atkins?
(a) The crew members like Atkins.
(b) Maturin likes and respects Atkins.
(c) Only Stanhope likes Atkins.
(d) Only Aubrey befriends Atkins.
7. In the sixth chapter, a second violent storm does what kind of damage to the H.M.S. Surprise?
(a) Destruction of the foremost.
(b) The ship is undamaged.
(c) Two sails are torn.
(d) All the rigging is lost.
8. What two men occasionally play music on the ship during the voyage to India?
(a) Mr. White and Pullings.
(b) Stanhope and Atkins.
(c) Two of the crew,
(d) Aubrey and Maturin.
9. Who is appointed as acting third lieutenant after Maturin returns without Nicolls?
(b) No one.
10. What does Maturin think of the gift Aubrey accepts from the captain of the Seringapatam?
(a) He uses the treasure to lecture Aubrey about debts.
(b) He relates the plumage to attraction for mating purposes.
(c) He goes on about the history of cutlery.
(d) He says jewlry is frivolous.
11. What threat does Aubrey make in respect to Maturin?
(a) To have Maturin arrested.
(b) To tell Canning of Maturin's intentions.
(c) To ruin Maturin.
(d) To leave Bombay without Maturin.
12. Who represents the East India Company in Calcutta?
(c) Commodore Moffit.
(d) Mr. Atkins.
13. What does Aubrey realize when he returns to the China fleet?
(a) The China fleet is not able to help him.
(b) The French armada finds the China fleet as well.
(c) The China fleet sumpathizes with the French.
(d) He is completely fooled the French armada.
14. What affect does the heat and exposure on St. Paul's Rocks have on Stephen Maturin.
(a) His health deteriorates.
(b) He becomes depressed.
(c) He begins to experience hallucinations.
(d) He regains his health.
15. What does Aubrey show Maturin when they climb into the foretop?
(a) Where sailors hide trinkets.
(b) Iinitials Aubrey carves years before.
(c) Ships repairs.
(d) The French fleet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What benefit does Mr. Hervey's uncle arrange for Aubrey in Bombay?
2. What woman does Maturin visit in Calcutta?
3. What is Maturin's solution to his problems with Canning?
4. Why does Aubrey meet with the first lieutenant Stourton shortly after the ship sets sail out of Bombay?
5. Why do Mr. White and Mr. Berkeley second guess their effort to come on the voyage of the H.M.S. Surprise?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)