|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who surprises Maturin and Diana with an early arrival?
2. While in Bombay, what does Maturin learn becomes of Sophie's sisters?
(a) They move to Scotland.
(b) They are both married.
(c) One sister is pregnant and the other runs away.
(d) They both find jobs as governesses.
3. In what direction is the H.M.S. Surprise headed while in the sea near Brazil?
(a) Northwest direction.
(b) Northeast toward England.
(c) East to avoid the tradewinds.
(d) South along the coast.
4. Why does Aubrey meet with the first lieutenant Stourton shortly after the ship sets sail out of Bombay?
(a) Stourton asks to discuss navigation.
(b) Aubry wants to brief him on how the ship is run.
(c) Stourton accounts for the ship's money.
(d) Aubrey asks Stourton about the French fleet.
5. Who is fatally injured during the duel in chapter ten?
6. What is the rumor in Bombay about the position of the French Armada?
(a) They are sailing toward China.
(b) They are close to Bombay.
(c) They are heading back to Europe.
(d) They are approaching the port for repairs.
7. Who acts as Maturin's second?
(b) Diana's brother.
(c) Captain Aubrey,
(d) Marine Captain Etherege.
8. What gift does Maturin make to Dil?
(a) Maturin gives Dil money so she can leave Bombay.
(b) Maturin promisies to fund Dil's education at a boarding school.
(c) Maturin helps Dil's family find better living quarters.
(d) To help make her future more secure, Maturin gives Dil expensive silver bracelets.
9. Of what does Canning accuse Diana?
(a) Stealing from him.
(b) Slowly losing her mind.
(c) Being unfaithful to him.
(d) Wanting to kill him.
10. What animal does Maturin catch on the coast of Brazil?
(a) A new species of crab.
11. When they meet, what does Diana tell Maturin about her relationship with Canning?
(a) They often fight.
(b) Canning is running out of money.
(c) Canning makes her happy.
(d) Canning still loves his wife.
12. Whose navigation abilities does Jack Aubrey doubt in chapter eight?
(c) His own.
13. As the voyage progresses around South America, does the health of Stanhope improve?
(a) He loses the use of his legs.
(b) He shows marked improvement.
(c) He returns to perfect health.
(d) He does not regain good health.
14. Why does Maturin not go to see Diana when he first finds out where she lives in Bombay?
(a) He is anxious about her reaction.
(b) Her lover Canning is at home.
(c) She is out of town.
(d) He cannot find the street.
15. Whom does Maturin teach to read and write in chapter six?
(a) Mr. White.
(c) Mr. Pullings.
(d) Most of the crew.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Stanhope's death come as a surprise to others on the H.M.S. Surprise?
2. What benefit does Mr. Hervey's uncle arrange for Aubrey in Bombay?
3. How does Diana respond to Maturin's proposal of marriage?
4. In what context in chapter eight does Aubrey see Sophia acting as a good wife?
5. What threat does Aubrey make in respect to Maturin?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)