|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When church services are held on Sunday in chapter 5, who preaches the sermon?
(c) Mr. White.
(d) Mr. Stanhope.
2. How does H.M.S. Lively get messages and mail while on blockade duty?
(a) Messenger cutter comes along side.
(b) The ship waits for a replacement vessel.
(c) The ship goes into port.
(d) There's no way to get mail.
3. During their short trip in the rowboat, what surprising weather catches Nicolls and Maturin off guard?
(a) The extreme heat.
(b) A sudden and severe storm.
(c) A cooling breeze.
(d) A prolonged calm.
4. What does Sir Joseph Blain discuss with Maturin after the lecture?
(a) Their trip to South Africa.
(b) Maturin's identity being disclosed.
(c) French breaking the blockade.
(d) Maturin's illicit affair.
5. After the prison rescue, how long do Aubrey and his men wait before leaving Port Mahon?
(a) They leave the afternoon after the prisoners are freed.
(b) They sail as soon as assembled.
(c) They are delayed for weeks.
(d) They wait for three days.
6. To what kind of lecture does Maturin go to in Chapter one?
(a) A lecture on insects.
(b) Bird watching lecture.
(c) Political lecture.
(d) A lecture on human anatomy.
7. How long does the rescue of Maturin take?
(a) It takes three days for them to safely get away.
(b) The entire rescue is accomplished in one night.
(c) The rescue becomes a two day ordeal.
(d) They get away after a week.
8. What problems, if any, does the inspection of the H.M.S. Surprise uncover?
(a) The stored sails begin to mold.
(b) Stanhope's official papers are missing.
(c) Silver is missing from the captain's quarters.
(d) The inspection doesn't find any problems.
9. Captain Jack Aubrey leaves the blockade when ordered to go where?
(a) To head for the Netherlands.
(b) To Minorca.
(c) To India.
(d) Back to England.
10. What does Aubrey leave on the H.M.S. Surprise as a token of an earlier encounter?
(a) He leaves the French code book.
(b) He stashes letters in a secret compartment.
(c) He carves his initials on the main cap.
(d) He leaves a cache of silver.
11. Where does Aubrey meet with Sophie when he leaves the Grapes?
(a) At a deserted crossroads.
(b) At Maturin's estate.
(c) In Aubrey's ship quarters.
(d) At Sophie's home.
12. Who visit Maturin during his convalescence to record his experiences with the French at Minorca?
(a) Sophia and her mother.
(b) Sir Joseph and Mr. Waring.
(c) Aubrey and Killick.
(d) Bonden and Killick.
13. Who conducts the inspection of H.M.S. Surprise in chapter five?
(b) Admiral Harte.
(c) Mr. White.
14. Is Maturin able to make use of the rowboat?
(a) No because his broken arm prevents him from being able to row the boat.
(b) No becasuse the boat is lost in the storm.
(c) No because he can't make the boat water tight.
(d) No because Nicolls takes it.
15. How does Maturin react to what Sir Joseph tells him at their meeting after the lecture?
(a) He does not believe Sir Joseph.
(b) He decides to call off his mission.
(c) He determines to complete his mission,
(d) He leaves for South Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maturin help Aubrey's career in Chapter four?
2. By what means does Aubrey sneak away from the Grapes in order to meet with Sophie?
3. Who wants to examine the biological specimens on St. Paul's Rocks?
4. In chapter five, does the envoy Stanhope enjoy his voyage on H.M.S. Surprise?
5. What is special about Sundays and debts in early 1800s England?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)