|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter one, with whom does Sophie Williams meet?
(a) Her cousin Diana.
(b) Dr. Stephen Maturin.
(c) Sir Joseph Blain.
(d) Jack Aubrey.
2. Is the onslaught of the Port Mahon prison carried out by Aubrey's men a success?
(a) They successfully take the prison.
(b) They rescue prisoners but French guards escape.
(c) They are stalled by weather delay.
(d) They abandon plans to take the prison.
3. When Aubrey first goes ashore on Minorca, who approaches him and wants to talk about Maturin?
(a) An island native.
(b) Maturin's brother.
(c) Joan Maragall.
(d) Governor of the island.
4. When church services are held on Sunday in chapter 5, who preaches the sermon?
(a) Mr. Stanhope.
(d) Mr. White.
5. What does Margall tell Aubrey about Maturin's status on Minorca?
(a) Maturin is imprisoned and tortured.
(b) Maturin can no longer be trusted by the British.
(c) Maturin is tortured and killed.
(d) Maturin is reassigned by the British.
6. Who is set to take the place of Sir Joseph who is retiring?
(b) Admiral Harte.
(c) Mr. Waring.
7. Who wants to examine the biological specimens on St. Paul's Rocks?
(c) Mr. White.
8. While traveling under the new orders, where does Aubrey engage in a skirmish with the French?
(a) Harbor south of London.
(b) At Gibraltar.
(c) The coast of Egypt.
(d) At a fortress near Cape Gooseberry.
9. What is one of the results of Diana's illicit affair?
(a) Her forced wedding.
(b) Diana's separation from her lover.
(c) Her move to India to avoid the scandal.
(d) Her move to South Africa.
10. What does Maturin have Aubrey's men take from the Port Mahon prison?
(a) French official documents.
(b) Money and jewels.
(c) Implements of torture.
(d) French weapons.
11. At the close of chapter three, what symbol of peace does Aubrey return to?
(a) The sea.
(b) Sophia's home.
(c) Familiar monotony of picket blockade.
12. With what kind of communication does Aubrey augment the initial method of light flashes at Minorca?
(a) He leaves a series of rock piles on the beach.
(b) He leaves private marks on shore.
(c) He abandons communication.
(d) He gives native boy a written message.
13. What problems, if any, does the inspection of the H.M.S. Surprise uncover?
(a) Silver is missing from the captain's quarters.
(b) The inspection doesn't find any problems.
(c) Stanhope's official papers are missing.
(d) The stored sails begin to mold.
14. In chapter thret, how do Aubrey and members of his crew gain access to Port Mahon?
(a) They use the cover of the night.
(b) They use the French boat they capture.
(c) They pretend to be a group of fishermen.
(d) They use Maragall's Spanish boat.
15. What do the officers and crew of H.M.S. Lively think of their temporary captain, Aubrey?
(a) They greatly respect Aubrey.
(b) They are satisfied with the permanent change.
(c) They resent Aubrey's taking over.
(d) They openly rebel against Aubrey's command.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maturin handle the confession of Nicolls?
2. What is Canning's religious background?
3. Why does the First Lord's mention of Stephen Maturin shock and dismay Sir Joseph Blain?
4. How does Mrs. Williams react to Aubrey's situation in chapter four?
5. From whom does Aubrey receive several personal letters in Chapter two?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)