|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Williams react to Aubrey's situation in chapter four?
(a) She encourages Maturin to help Aubrey.
(b) She uses Aubry's misfortune to forbid Sophie's seeing him.
(c) She offers Aubrey financial help.
(d) She shuns Aubrey outside the House of Lords.
2. How does Maturin help Aubrey's career in Chapter four?
(a) He gets Aubrey reassigned to the H.M.S. Lively.
(b) He has Aubrey named captain of the H.M.S. Surprise.
(c) He has Admiral Harte discredited.
(d) He gets Aubrey named to the House of Lords.
3. What is Nicolls' general state of mind when he takes the side trip with Maturin?
(a) He is anxious to further his career.
(b) He is enthusiastic about the voyage.
(c) He is unhappy with Aubrey's treatment of him.
(d) He is in despair.
4. Who conducts the inspection of H.M.S. Surprise in chapter five?
(a) Admiral Harte.
(b) Mr. White.
5. What is the ruling of the First Lord about the seized Spanish ships?
(a) Captured vessels escheat to the crown.
(b) The First Lord asks Spain for ransom.
(c) Ships must be returned to Spain.
(d) Ruling put off until a later meeting.
6. In chapter five, does the envoy Stanhope enjoy his voyage on H.M.S. Surprise?
(a) He gets joy from the beautiful scenery.
(b) He is enthusiastic about serving on the crew.
(c) He is very ill and unhappy.
(d) He is in constant fear that the French are after him.
7. Who is set to take the place of Sir Joseph who is retiring?
(c) Admiral Harte.
(d) Mr. Waring.
8. To what kind of lecture does Maturin go to in Chapter one?
(a) Political lecture.
(b) A lecture on human anatomy.
(c) A lecture on insects.
(d) Bird watching lecture.
9. In chapter thret, how do Aubrey and members of his crew gain access to Port Mahon?
(a) They use the French boat they capture.
(b) They pretend to be a group of fishermen.
(c) They use Maragall's Spanish boat.
(d) They use the cover of the night.
10. Where does Aubrey meet with Sophie when he leaves the Grapes?
(a) In Aubrey's ship quarters.
(b) At a deserted crossroads.
(c) At Sophie's home.
(d) At Maturin's estate.
11. After the secret meeting with Sophie in chapter four, where does Aubrey go with Maturin?
(a) They visit Sir Joseph and Mr. Waring.
(b) They set out for the H.M.S. Surprise.
(c) They travel together to Bath.
(d) They find Mr. Canning's home.
12. How do Maturin's travel plans in chapter four involve Mr. Stanhope?
(a) Stanhope is the envoy going to Kampong.
(b) Stanhope will captain Maturin's vessel.
(c) Maturin hires Mr. Stanhope for the voyage.
(d) Stanhope is the steward assigned to Aubrey.
13. In chapter one, why is Diana Villiers' recent relationship with a man such a scandal?
(a) She is still married.
(b) Her lover is also her cousin.
(c) Her lover is a priest.
(d) Her lover is a married man.
14. When Aubrey first goes ashore on Minorca, who approaches him and wants to talk about Maturin?
(a) Maturin's brother.
(b) Joan Maragall.
(c) An island native.
(d) Governor of the island.
15. With what kind of communication does Aubrey augment the initial method of light flashes at Minorca?
(a) He abandons communication.
(b) He gives native boy a written message.
(c) He leaves private marks on shore.
(d) He leaves a series of rock piles on the beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the results of Diana's illicit affair?
2. Who wants to examine the biological specimens on St. Paul's Rocks?
3. Is there any lingering worry tied to the escape at Port Mahon?
4. From whom does Aubrey receive several personal letters in Chapter two?
5. In chapter two, where is Maturin imprisoned?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)