|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nicolls' general state of mind when he takes the side trip with Maturin?
(a) He is in despair.
(b) He is anxious to further his career.
(c) He is enthusiastic about the voyage.
(d) He is unhappy with Aubrey's treatment of him.
2. How successful is Aubrey's message of flashes when he first gets to Minorca?
(a) He misreads the response.
(b) He gets Maturin's signals back .
(c) He gets no replay from Maturin.
(d) He draws attention of the French.
3. How does Maturin aid in Aubrey's rescue attempt at Port Mahon?
(a) He supplies disguises.
(b) He joins in the battle.
(c) He kills an escaping French officer.
(d) He entices the French commander back to prison.
4. In chapter one, under what circumstances do Sir Joseph Blain, Admiral Harte, and various other political and military figures meet?
(a) Meeting of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty.
(b) Ball thrown for the young hero Captain Jack Aubrey.
(c) Funeral of the King of England.
(d) Quarters of Harte on H.M.S. Lively.
5. In chapter five, Maturin and Nicolls set off in a rowboat to what location?
(a) They go to St. Paul's Rocks.
(b) They row to another English vessel.
(c) They take an extended trip to a deserted monastery.
(d) They row to the shore of Brazil.
6. Who conducts the inspection of H.M.S. Surprise in chapter five?
(a) Admiral Harte.
(b) Mr. White.
7. What does Maragall arrange to ease Aubrey's arrival at Port Mahon?
(a) Full military salute.
(b) Bribery of lookouts.
(c) New code for messages.
(d) Vessel gets through the health inspection.
8. When Aubrey first goes ashore on Minorca, who approaches him and wants to talk about Maturin?
(a) Maturin's brother.
(b) An island native.
(c) Governor of the island.
(d) Joan Maragall.
9. Whom do Aubrey and his men plan to free at Port Mahon?
(a) Sailors captured the night before.
(b) Chinese prisoners.
(c) All prisoners held by the French.
(d) Only Maturin.
10. Nicolls confesses what to Maturin on their journey?
(a) He has strange medical symptoms.
(b) He is engaged in adultery.
(c) He talks about his early life as a thief.
(d) He wants to command his own ship.
11. What becomes of Mr. Nicolls in chapter five?
(a) He is promoted to first lieutenant.
(b) He abandons Maturin to return to the ship alone.
(c) He is injured in the storm.
(d) He is washed off the rocks and lost.
12. Who is Fanshaw?
(a) Aubrey's prize agent .
(b) Sir Joseph's aide.
(c) Solicitor hired to aid Aubrey.
(d) Aubrey's faithful steward.
13. What does Maturin have Aubrey's men take from the Port Mahon prison?
(a) French official documents.
(b) French weapons.
(c) Implements of torture.
(d) Money and jewels.
14. What becomes of the biological specimens collected on the rocks?
(a) Maturin stores them in a small cave.
(b) Almost all are lost.
(c) Maturin protects them under the capsized boat.
(d) Maturin tosses them into the sea.
15. What does Margall tell Aubrey about Maturin's status on Minorca?
(a) Maturin is tortured and killed.
(b) Maturin is reassigned by the British.
(c) Maturin is imprisoned and tortured.
(d) Maturin can no longer be trusted by the British.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does H.M.S. Lively help run a frigate-picket blockade in chapter two?
2. How many of the French soldiers guarding the prisoners at Port Mahon escape harm?
3. What is the name of the officer who witnesses the Port Mahon rescue and slips into the night?
4. What is Captain Aubrey's attitude toward an opportunity to command H.M.S. Surprise?
5. What travel plans does Sir Joseph arrange for Maturin after the physician's ordeal at Minorca?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)