|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Sophie's meeting with Maturin in chapter one take place?
(a) Mapes Court.
(b) Home of Captain Jack Aubrey.
(c) Sophie's cousin's estate.
(d) Cafe near Sophie's home.
2. What is Captain Aubrey's attitude toward an opportunity to command H.M.S. Surprise?
(a) He is disappointed that he doesn't get a better offer.
(b) He is thrilled.
(c) He thinks his career will stall.
(d) He fears he owes too much to Maturin.
3. What does Maturin have Aubrey's men take from the Port Mahon prison?
(a) French official documents.
(b) Money and jewels.
(c) French weapons.
(d) Implements of torture.
4. How does Maturin react to what Sir Joseph tells him at their meeting after the lecture?
(a) He decides to call off his mission.
(b) He leaves for South Africa.
(c) He does not believe Sir Joseph.
(d) He determines to complete his mission,
5. Who is Richard Canning?
(a) New High Lord.
(b) A minister Sophie knows.
(c) A friend to Mrs. Williams.
(d) Diana Villiers' love interest.
6. While traveling under the new orders, where does Aubrey engage in a skirmish with the French?
(a) The coast of Egypt.
(b) At Gibraltar.
(c) At a fortress near Cape Gooseberry.
(d) Harbor south of London.
7. During their short trip in the rowboat, what surprising weather catches Nicolls and Maturin off guard?
(a) A sudden and severe storm.
(b) The extreme heat.
(c) A cooling breeze.
(d) A prolonged calm.
8. By what means does Aubrey sneak away from the Grapes in order to meet with Sophie?
(a) He uses a guard's uniform.
(b) He hides on a gun boat.
(c) He hides in a hearse.
(d) He signals from the beach to the rescue boat .
9. In chapter one, what is the assignment of H.M.S. Lively?
(a) Going to India.
(b) Leading an attack on the Spanish.
(c) Escorting the captured Spanish vessels.
(d) Blockading the French.
10. Why are many of the prisoners in bad physical condition at Port Mahon's French prison?
(a) They contract cholera.
(b) They suffer at the torture rack.
(c) There is an epidemic of typhus.
(d) There are no food rations.
11. Who conducts the inspection of H.M.S. Surprise in chapter five?
(b) Admiral Harte.
(c) Mr. White.
12. What becomes of Mr. Nicolls in chapter five?
(a) He is washed off the rocks and lost.
(b) He abandons Maturin to return to the ship alone.
(c) He is promoted to first lieutenant.
(d) He is injured in the storm.
13. What does Margall tell Aubrey about Maturin's status on Minorca?
(a) Maturin can no longer be trusted by the British.
(b) Maturin is reassigned by the British.
(c) Maturin is imprisoned and tortured.
(d) Maturin is tortured and killed.
14. On the way to the reunion with H.M.S. Lively's regular captain, Aubrey is supposed to rendezvous with whom?
(c) Unknown British spy.
(d) Sir Joseph Blain.
15. After the secret meeting with Sophie in chapter four, where does Aubrey go with Maturin?
(a) They find Mr. Canning's home.
(b) They visit Sir Joseph and Mr. Waring.
(c) They travel together to Bath.
(d) They set out for the H.M.S. Surprise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Maturin able to make use of the rowboat?
2. What travel plans does Sir Joseph arrange for Maturin after the physician's ordeal at Minorca?
3. What does Maragall arrange to ease Aubrey's arrival at Port Mahon?
4. When does Aubrey first go ashore at Minorca?
5. Who is set to take the place of Sir Joseph who is retiring?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)