|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maragall arrange to ease Aubrey's arrival at Port Mahon?
(a) Full military salute.
(b) Vessel gets through the health inspection.
(c) Bribery of lookouts.
(d) New code for messages.
2. How does Aubrey know he can trust the man he meets at Minorca?
(a) Man is obviously a relative of Maturin.
(b) Man has official papers of introduction.
(c) They exchange secret signals.
(d) Man is of high rank and status.
3. How many of the French soldiers guarding the prisoners at Port Mahon escape harm?
(a) Only the prison commander dies.
(b) Only two guards are wounded.
(c) One French officer gets away.
(d) All French are killed.
4. Who is Richard Canning?
(a) A friend to Mrs. Williams.
(b) New High Lord.
(c) Diana Villiers' love interest.
(d) A minister Sophie knows.
5. By what means does Aubrey sneak away from the Grapes in order to meet with Sophie?
(a) He signals from the beach to the rescue boat .
(b) He uses a guard's uniform.
(c) He hides in a hearse.
(d) He hides on a gun boat.
6. What is the coast like where Aubrey goes ashore at Minorca?
(a) Sheltered cove near the shipbuilding yard.
(b) Deserted area of the coast.
(c) Small French fort.
(d) Bustling port city.
7. What is Captain Aubrey's attitude toward an opportunity to command H.M.S. Surprise?
(a) He fears he owes too much to Maturin.
(b) He is disappointed that he doesn't get a better offer.
(c) He thinks his career will stall.
(d) He is thrilled.
8. Who is set to take the place of Sir Joseph who is retiring?
(b) Mr. Waring.
(d) Admiral Harte.
9. In chapter one, under what circumstances do Sir Joseph Blain, Admiral Harte, and various other political and military figures meet?
(a) Funeral of the King of England.
(b) Quarters of Harte on H.M.S. Lively.
(c) Ball thrown for the young hero Captain Jack Aubrey.
(d) Meeting of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty.
10. What is Aubrey's fate upon return to England from Port Mahon??
(a) He is cast into debtor's prison.
(b) He is stripped of his commission.
(c) He is accused of assault.
(d) He is attacked on the street.
11. How does Maturin aid in Aubrey's rescue attempt at Port Mahon?
(a) He entices the French commander back to prison.
(b) He joins in the battle.
(c) He kills an escaping French officer.
(d) He supplies disguises.
12. What is Canning's religious background?
(a) He's Jewish.
(b) He's a clergyman in the Church of England.
(c) He's a Roman Catholic priest.
(d) His religious affiliation is unknown.
13. How long does the rescue of Maturin take?
(a) The rescue becomes a two day ordeal.
(b) The entire rescue is accomplished in one night.
(c) It takes three days for them to safely get away.
(d) They get away after a week.
14. While traveling under the new orders, where does Aubrey engage in a skirmish with the French?
(a) Harbor south of London.
(b) At a fortress near Cape Gooseberry.
(c) The coast of Egypt.
(d) At Gibraltar.
15. When does Aubrey first go ashore at Minorca?
(a) Under cover of the night.
(b) At first morning light.
(c) Waits until noon.
(d) Late afternoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. When supplies run low on H.M.S. Lively, what do some of the crew resort to eating?
2. To what kind of lecture does Maturin go to in Chapter one?
3. Who visit Maturin during his convalescence to record his experiences with the French at Minorca?
4. What is Maturin's preferred method of recovery when he returns to Britain from Port Mahon?
5. What becomes of Mr. Nicolls in chapter five?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)