Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Chapter 1
1. During the meeting of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, why is Sir Joseph Blain worried about the First Lord's mention of Dr. Stephen Maturin?
2. What does Sophie Williams think of Maturin's approach to wooing Diana Villiers?
3. Why do Diana Villiers and Richard Canning leave England for India?
4. Describe Dr. Stephen Maturin's relationship with Sophie Williams.
5. Why does Maturin discuss Captain Jack Aubrey with Sophie?
6. What does Maturin think of the possible consequences of the First Lord's mention...
This section contains 909 words|
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)