|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the way to the reunion with H.M.S. Lively's regular captain, Aubrey is supposed to rendezvous with whom?
(a) Sir Joseph Blain.
(b) Unknown British spy.
2. By what means does Aubrey sneak away from the Grapes in order to meet with Sophie?
(a) He hides in a hearse.
(b) He hides on a gun boat.
(c) He uses a guard's uniform.
(d) He signals from the beach to the rescue boat .
3. Whom do Aubrey and his men plan to free at Port Mahon?
(a) All prisoners held by the French.
(b) Only Maturin.
(c) Sailors captured the night before.
(d) Chinese prisoners.
4. At the beginning of the book, with whom is Dr. Stephen Maturin recently involved romantically?
(a) A secret romantic interest.
(b) Diana Villiers.
(d) Sophie's sister.
5. Does Stanhope's death come as a surprise to others on the H.M.S. Surprise?
(a) Only Maturin is surprised by Stanhope dying.
(b) No one expects Stanhope to die.
(c) The officers are surprised since Stanhope is so young.
(d) The death of Stanhope surprises no one after his continued illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What diet addition helps the crew of the H.M.S. Surprise combat scurvy?
2. What history, if any, does Aubrey have with the H.M.S. Surprise?
3. What is Maturin's reaction to the heat he experiences on the side trip with Nicolls?
4. What is Maturin's preferred method of recovery when he returns to Britain from Port Mahon?
5. Where does Aubrey meet with Sophie when he leaves the Grapes?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)