|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Deep Thought want to do?
2. What is the imaginary planet that Zaphod, Trillian, and Ford are on made of?
3. What reason does the old man give for the missiles that nearly destroyed the Heart of Gold?
4. What do the mice want?
5. What are Zaphod, Ford, and Trillian doing when Arthur arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Phouchg and Loonquawl react to Deep Thought's answer?
2. How did Zaphod and Ford meet Yooden Vranx?
3. What have the inhabitants of Magrathea been doing all this time? Why?
4. What is Zaphod Beeblebrox trying to do with the Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters?
5. What is R used to measure?
6. What is the story of Veet Voojagig?
7. What do you think Deep Thought's answer means?
8. Why do the philosophers object to Deep Thought? What is the computer's solution?
9. What does Slartibartfast's award mean to him?
10. How does Deep Thought intend to help the men find the question to his answer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining your opinion on the nature of the universe, and the basic elements of a novel that would communicate this opinion to readers. Be sure to include:
1 - Themes that would best express this viewpoint (for example, optimism, futility, cyclical events);
2 - Types of characters (for example, anti-heroes, well-meaning protagonists);
3 - How the novel's viewpoint is similar or different to that of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on what you think is the third-most intelligent species on Earth, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the three stages of civilization and apply them to a timeline of Earth's history. Use specific examples of human achievement to explain each stage.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)