|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the usual fate of those who are determined to make fools of themselves in public?
2. Where do Arthur and the others escape to?
3. What type of talk costs lives?
4. What are Zaphod, Ford, and Trillian doing when Arthur arrives?
5. What did Ford kindly leave Arthur?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Deep Thought intend to help the men find the question to his answer?
2. What is R used to measure?
3. What is the story of Veet Voojagig?
4. Describe the scene that Arthur sees through the Sens-O-Tape.
5. Why do the philosophers object to Deep Thought? What is the computer's solution?
6. What is Zaphod Beeblebrox trying to do with the Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters?
7. How did Zaphod and Ford meet Yooden Vranx?
8. How does Slartibartfast make Arthur feel? How does he speak?
9. What mental condition is Marvin suffering from? How does he display these symptoms?
10. What have the inhabitants of Magrathea been doing all this time? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short essay that describes the unusual writing style of Douglas Adams, giving examples where he "breaks the rules" of writing.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that describes the pursuit of happiness for the average human, and why it is difficult even for people who have digital watches.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about something in the novel that is based on something in the real world, and the connection between the fictional and real versions. Examples include the bureaucratic Vogons, the figurehead Galactic presidency, and so on.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)