|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who starts shooting at the characters?
2. What is an important fact?
3. What happened to the dolphins when the Vogons arrived?
4. What speed does the aircar travel at?
5. What happened to the life-support systems in the cops' backpacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have the inhabitants of Magrathea been doing all this time? Why?
2. Do the characters learn any great lessons through the course of this book?
3. Explain what Slartibartfast means when he says, "That's bureaucracy for you."
4. How did Zaphod and Ford meet Yooden Vranx?
5. What do you think the meaning of life is? Is there only one answer?
6. What does Slartibartfast's award mean to him?
7. Why do the cops believe that they are more intelligent and enlightened than their peers?
8. Describe the conversation that Arthur has with Marvin.
9. Why do the philosophers object to Deep Thought? What is the computer's solution?
10. How does the author create suspense in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that explains a simple way for people to be happy, or at least happier. The plan need not be entirely realistic.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the three stages of civilization and apply them to a timeline of Earth's history. Use specific examples of human achievement to explain each stage.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about something in the novel that is based on something in the real world, and the connection between the fictional and real versions. Examples include the bureaucratic Vogons, the figurehead Galactic presidency, and so on.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)