|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saved Ford and Arthur?
2. Where does the ship go when the Improbability Drive is activated?
3. What has opened a passage into the interior of the planet?
4. Where are the characters located?
5. What does Ford start turning into?
Short Essay Questions
1. What went through the mind of the bowl of petunias? Why do you think this is?
2. What does the Nutri-Matic drink machine do?
3. What is the significance of the babel fish?
4. What is Marvin's problem?
5. What is the problem with Zaphod's brain?
6. What effect did Magrathea have on the former Galactic Empire?
7. How do the characters react to seeing the planet Magrathea? What do they think of its legend?
8. What is the problem with Marvin the android?
9. How grateful is everyone to Arthur for saving their lives?
10. Who is Zaphod Beeblebrox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a fake research paper from the perspective of a mouse that discusses the results of an experiment on human scientists.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about something in the novel that is based on something in the real world, and the connection between the fictional and real versions. Examples include the bureaucratic Vogons, the figurehead Galactic presidency, and so on.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that describes the role of the absurd in literature, giving examples of books that use it as a device and explaining what purpose the absurd can play in communicating a message.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)