|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marvin's nickname?
2. How long has Magrathea been dead for?
3. What is the result of the improbability sum?
4. How long can you survive in space with a lungful of air?
5. What does the computer do as the missiles approach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Arthur angry about? What does he do?
2. How does the author create suspense in this chapter?
3. Explain what Slartibartfast means when he says, "That's bureaucracy for you."
4. Why does Ford have trouble sleeping?
5. Describe the conversation that Arthur has with Marvin.
6. What do the mice want from Arthur?
7. What does Trillian say about her degree in math and astrophysics? What does she mean?
8. What problems does Zaphod have with the computer?
9. Why does Trillian have trouble sleeping?
10. Why do the philosophers object to Deep Thought? What is the computer's solution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on what you think is the third-most intelligent species on Earth, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that explains the role of technology, and especially computers, in society today. Be sure to address:
1 - How computers are changing society;
2 - Problems caused by excessive computerization;
3 - Problems solved by computers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that lists and explains all of the references within the novel to feelings of unease with the universe and the characters within it.
This section contains 1,435 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)