|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was life in the former Galactic Empire largely free of?
2. What did scholars write about following the collapse?
3. After saying "Hi there!," the ship's computer prints out a ribbon of ticker tape. What does the tape say?
4. Where does Marvin have a terrible pain?
5. Who is Mr. Prosser a descendant of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zaphod pretend to be stupid? What does Trillian think of this?
2. How do the characters react to the surface of Magrathea?
3. Why are towels so important?
4. Who is Zaphod Beeblebrox?
5. What were the circumstances of how Arthur and Zaphod originally met?
6. How do the characters react to seeing the planet Magrathea? What do they think of its legend?
7. Why are the events of the next chapter given away in advance? What is withheld?
8. What is the problem with Marvin the android?
9. Where do Ford and Arthur find themselves immediately after being rescued? What is happening, and why?
10. Why does the computer say that most people's lives are governed by telephone numbers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that discusses the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.
Essay Topic 2
Write a fictional essay from the perspective of a galactic historian that analyzes the legend of Magrathea. The essay can be skeptical, or argue for the existence of the mysterious planet.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that briefly describes as many of the galactic civilizations and races in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as possible. Be sure to cover:
1 - Which civilizations are the most "alien."
2 - Whether or not the civilizations are/were friendly.
3 - Which civilization is the most interesting to you.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)