|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many suns does Magrathea have?
2. Who is Ford Prefect?
3. What can respectable physicists really not stand for?
4. What rank of intelligence did humans have on Earth?
5. How long can you survive in space with a lungful of air?
Short Essay Questions
1. How grateful is everyone to Arthur for saving their lives?
2. What went through the mind of the bowl of petunias? Why do you think this is?
3. What were the circumstances of how Arthur and Zaphod originally met?
4. What was life like in the former Galactic Empire?
5. What problems does Zaphod have with the computer?
6. What is the problem with Marvin the android?
7. What does Ford fail to understand about humans?
8. Why does Ford have trouble sleeping?
9. Why are the events of the next chapter given away in advance? What is withheld?
10. How does Arthur try to save Ford and himself from the Vogon? What happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that lists and explains all of the references within the novel to feelings of unease with the universe and the characters within it.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that describes the personality of Zaphod Beeblebrox, and compares him to famous contemporary figures.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short essay that describes the unusual writing style of Douglas Adams, giving examples where he "breaks the rules" of writing.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)