|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the ship go when the Improbability Drive is activated?
2. Which government owns the Starship Heart of Gold?
3. What does Zaphod think about the ship computer?
4. What are the Vogons going to do to Arthur and Ford?
5. What is the last word the computer sings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Ford and Arthur find themselves immediately after being rescued? What is happening, and why?
2. What happens when Zaphod tries to bring the ship in for a landing?
3. What is the problem with Zaphod's brain?
4. Why are towels so important?
5. What were the circumstances of how Arthur and Zaphod originally met?
6. What problems does Zaphod have with the computer?
7. What was life like in the former Galactic Empire?
8. How do the characters react to the surface of Magrathea?
9. What does Trillian say about her degree in math and astrophysics? What does she mean?
10. Why does Ford have trouble sleeping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that describes the role of the absurd in literature, giving examples of books that use it as a device and explaining what purpose the absurd can play in communicating a message.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining whether or not law enforcement would be effective if policemen and soldiers tried to use reason and appealed as individuals, rather than using weapons and the threat of violence.
Essay Topic 3
Write a fictional essay from the perspective of a galactic historian that analyzes the legend of Magrathea. The essay can be skeptical, or argue for the existence of the mysterious planet.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)