|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marvin's nickname?
2. Who saved Ford and Arthur?
3. How long can you survive in space with a lungful of air?
4. What does the computer do as the missiles approach?
5. What does Trillian notice on the wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Zaphod and Ford meet Yooden Vranx?
2. What effect did Magrathea have on the former Galactic Empire?
3. What do the mice want from Arthur?
4. Why does Trillian have trouble sleeping?
5. How grateful is everyone to Arthur for saving their lives?
6. What went through the mind of the bowl of petunias? Why do you think this is?
7. Describe the conversation that Arthur has with Marvin.
8. Explain what Slartibartfast means when he says, "That's bureaucracy for you."
9. What have the inhabitants of Magrathea been doing all this time? Why?
10. How do Phouchg and Loonquawl react to Deep Thought's answer?
Essay Topic 1
Write a short essay that describes the unusual writing style of Douglas Adams, giving examples where he "breaks the rules" of writing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the three stages of civilization and apply them to a timeline of Earth's history. Use specific examples of human achievement to explain each stage.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that explains the role of technology, and especially computers, in society today. Be sure to address:
1 - How computers are changing society;
2 - Problems caused by excessive computerization;
3 - Problems solved by computers.
This section contains 1,354 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)