|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the babel fish allow Aurthur to do?
2. Where were Ford and Arthur picked up?
3. Why does Ford order so much beer at lunchtime?
4. Why did Trillian pick up hitchhikers?
5. What play does an infinite number of monkeys write?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is still unfinished about the New Earth?
2. What species do you think is smarter than the dolphins? How do you know?
3. Why do the mice believe the Ultimate Question they made up will sound plausable to the general public?
4. How does Slartibartfast make Arthur feel? How does he speak?
5. What have the inhabitants of Magrathea been doing all this time? Why?
6. What is the problem with Marvin the android?
7. Describe the conversation that Arthur has with Marvin.
8. How does Ford Prefect manage to get Arthur to stop lying in front of the bulldozers?
9. What went through the mind of the bowl of petunias? Why do you think this is?
10. What is the significance of the chances of being picked up in space?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining whether or not law enforcement would be effective if policemen and soldiers tried to use reason and appealed as individuals, rather than using weapons and the threat of violence.
Essay Topic 2
Write a fictional essay from the perspective of a galactic historian that analyzes the legend of Magrathea. The essay can be skeptical, or argue for the existence of the mysterious planet.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that describes the role of the absurd in literature, giving examples of books that use it as a device and explaining what purpose the absurd can play in communicating a message.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)