|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of an Antarean parakeet is a revolting delicacy?
2. Where are the characters located?
3. What is the result of the improbability sum?
4. What is the name of Zaphod's private brain care specialist?
5. Where does Arthur Dent work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ford fail to understand about humans?
2. What is the significance of the babel fish?
3. What effect did Magrathea have on the former Galactic Empire?
4. What is the interior of the Starship Heart of Gold like?
5. How does Arthur try to save Ford and himself from the Vogon? What happens?
6. What was life like in the former Galactic Empire?
7. How do the characters react to seeing the planet Magrathea? What do they think of its legend?
8. Where do Ford and Arthur find themselves immediately after being rescued? What is happening, and why?
9. What is the problem with Zaphod's brain?
10. Why does the computer say that most people's lives are governed by telephone numbers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a fake research paper from the perspective of a mouse that discusses the results of an experiment on human scientists.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that describes the role of the absurd in literature, giving examples of books that use it as a device and explaining what purpose the absurd can play in communicating a message.
Essay Topic 3
Write a fictional essay from the perspective of a galactic historian that analyzes the legend of Magrathea. The essay can be skeptical, or argue for the existence of the mysterious planet.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)