|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Arthur so excited to be on Magrathea?
2. What does Ford start turning into?
3. The typical Vogon is...
4. Resistance is...
5. Who is Ford Prefect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Nutri-Matic drink machine do?
2. What is Marvin's problem?
3. Who is Zaphod Beeblebrox?
4. How does Ford Prefect manage to get Arthur to stop lying in front of the bulldozers?
5. What is the problem with Marvin the android?
6. How was the Infinite Improbability Drive created?
7. What were the circumstances of how Arthur and Zaphod originally met?
8. What is the interior of the Starship Heart of Gold like?
9. Why are towels so important?
10. Why does the computer say that most people's lives are governed by telephone numbers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that describes the role of the absurd in literature, giving examples of books that use it as a device and explaining what purpose the absurd can play in communicating a message.
Essay Topic 2
Write a fictional essay from the perspective of a galactic historian that analyzes the legend of Magrathea. The essay can be skeptical, or argue for the existence of the mysterious planet.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that lists and explains all of the references within the novel to feelings of unease with the universe and the characters within it.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)