|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the whale think might be a good friend, but is in fact not?
2. Why is Arthur so excited to be on Magrathea?
3. What does the computer do as the missiles approach?
4. Who has come to visit the Earth in massive yellow spaceships?
5. Where have Zaphod and Arthur met before?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did Magrathea have on the former Galactic Empire?
2. How does Ford Prefect manage to get Arthur to stop lying in front of the bulldozers?
3. Where do Ford and Arthur find themselves immediately after being rescued? What is happening, and why?
4. Why are the events of the next chapter given away in advance? What is withheld?
5. Who is Zaphod Beeblebrox?
6. What does Trillian say about her degree in math and astrophysics? What does she mean?
7. Why does the computer say that most people's lives are governed by telephone numbers?
8. What were the circumstances of how Arthur and Zaphod originally met?
9. Why does Ford have trouble sleeping?
10. What was life like in the former Galactic Empire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that explains the role of Arthur Dent's character in the story, and the key differences between him and the other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that discusses the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.
Essay Topic 3
Write a fictional essay from the perspective of a galactic historian that analyzes the legend of Magrathea. The essay can be skeptical, or argue for the existence of the mysterious planet.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)