|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of an Antarean parakeet is a revolting delicacy?
2. What colors are the Heart of Gold's interior after Arthur activates the Improbability Drive?
3. Why does Ford order so much beer at lunchtime?
4. The typical Vogon is...
5. What does Zaphod Beeblebrox do to the Heart of Gold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did Magrathea have on the former Galactic Empire?
2. What does the Nutri-Matic drink machine do?
3. How do the characters react to the surface of Magrathea?
4. How does Ford Prefect manage to get Arthur to stop lying in front of the bulldozers?
5. What was life like in the former Galactic Empire?
6. What is Arthur angry about? What does he do?
7. Why does Trillian have trouble sleeping?
8. Why does the computer say that most people's lives are governed by telephone numbers?
9. Who is Zaphod Beeblebrox?
10. Why does Ford have trouble sleeping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short essay that describes the unusual writing style of Douglas Adams, giving examples where he "breaks the rules" of writing.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining your opinion on the nature of the universe, and the basic elements of a novel that would communicate this opinion to readers. Be sure to include:
1 - Themes that would best express this viewpoint (for example, optimism, futility, cyclical events);
2 - Types of characters (for example, anti-heroes, well-meaning protagonists);
3 - How the novel's viewpoint is similar or different to that of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that describes the pursuit of happiness for the average human, and why it is difficult even for people who have digital watches.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)