|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the whale think might be a good friend, but is in fact not?
2. Who was poor in the former Galactic Empire?
3. Why is Arthur so excited to be on Magrathea?
4. What does the Guide say about the Earth?
5. What word describes the new personality of the computer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Zaphod Beeblebrox?
2. How grateful is everyone to Arthur for saving their lives?
3. What is the significance of the babel fish?
4. Why does Trillian have trouble sleeping?
5. Why are towels so important?
6. Why are the events of the next chapter given away in advance? What is withheld?
7. How does Arthur try to save Ford and himself from the Vogon? What happens?
8. What effect did Magrathea have on the former Galactic Empire?
9. Why does the computer say that most people's lives are governed by telephone numbers?
10. What were the circumstances of how Arthur and Zaphod originally met?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that explains a simple way for people to be happy, or at least happier. The plan need not be entirely realistic.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that explains the role of technology, and especially computers, in society today. Be sure to address:
1 - How computers are changing society;
2 - Problems caused by excessive computerization;
3 - Problems solved by computers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that briefly describes as many of the galactic civilizations and races in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as possible. Be sure to cover:
1 - Which civilizations are the most "alien."
2 - Whether or not the civilizations are/were friendly.
3 - Which civilization is the most interesting to you.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)