|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After saying "Hi there!," the ship's computer prints out a ribbon of ticker tape. What does the tape say?
2. What does Ford use to conceal the alien technology in his satchel?
3. How does Arthur save the ship?
4. Where does Marvin have a terrible pain?
5. What are the initials burned into Zaphod's brain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the interior of the Starship Heart of Gold like?
2. Why are towels so important?
3. Why does Trillian have trouble sleeping?
4. How grateful is everyone to Arthur for saving their lives?
5. What went through the mind of the bowl of petunias? Why do you think this is?
6. Who is Zaphod Beeblebrox?
7. What is the significance of the chances of being picked up in space?
8. Where do Ford and Arthur find themselves immediately after being rescued? What is happening, and why?
9. What happens when Zaphod tries to bring the ship in for a landing?
10. What is Arthur angry about? What does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that compares the novel to another work of science-fiction comedy.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that critiques the scientific accuracy of a specific science theme in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, such as the babel fish or the Infinite Improbability Drive. The essay should be more of an opinion piece than a strict science essay, though try to be as "scientific" as possible.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that explains a simple way for people to be happy, or at least happier. The plan need not be entirely realistic.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)