|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Marvin an ironic character?
2. What does Ford start turning into?
3. What type of drive is the conventional engine of the Heart of Gold?
4. What goes through the mind of the bowl of petunias?
5. What is the equivalent of saying "blood... blood" to a computer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford Prefect manage to get Arthur to stop lying in front of the bulldozers?
2. What does the Nutri-Matic drink machine do?
3. What is the problem with Marvin the android?
4. How grateful is everyone to Arthur for saving their lives?
5. What does Ford fail to understand about humans?
6. What is Arthur angry about? What does he do?
7. What is the interior of the Starship Heart of Gold like?
8. Why are towels so important?
9. Why are the events of the next chapter given away in advance? What is withheld?
10. Why does Ford have trouble sleeping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about something in the novel that is based on something in the real world, and the connection between the fictional and real versions. Examples include the bureaucratic Vogons, the figurehead Galactic presidency, and so on.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that lists and explains all of the references within the novel to feelings of unease with the universe and the characters within it.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that describes the personality of Zaphod Beeblebrox, and compares him to famous contemporary figures.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)