|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words best describe the reunion of Ford and Zaphod?
2. What does Ford buy on his way out of the pub?
3. What day could Arthur never get the hang of?
4. Which government owns the Starship Heart of Gold?
5. Why does Ford order so much beer at lunchtime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the computer say that most people's lives are governed by telephone numbers?
2. What was life like in the former Galactic Empire?
3. How do the characters react to the surface of Magrathea?
4. What does Trillian say about her degree in math and astrophysics? What does she mean?
5. What were the circumstances of how Arthur and Zaphod originally met?
6. What is Marvin's problem?
7. What does Ford fail to understand about humans?
8. How does Arthur try to save Ford and himself from the Vogon? What happens?
9. Why are the events of the next chapter given away in advance? What is withheld?
10. What problems does Zaphod have with the computer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on what you think is the third-most intelligent species on Earth, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining your opinion on the nature of the universe, and the basic elements of a novel that would communicate this opinion to readers. Be sure to include:
1 - Themes that would best express this viewpoint (for example, optimism, futility, cyclical events);
2 - Types of characters (for example, anti-heroes, well-meaning protagonists);
3 - How the novel's viewpoint is similar or different to that of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that discusses the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)