|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hitchcock say the audience failed to understand about the film "I Confess"?
(a) The complicated murder plot.
(b) The subtle humor in the film.
(c) The role of a priest as confessor.
(d) The lengths people will go to to protect loved ones.
2. What did Hitchcock consider "Rear Window" to evoke the purest expression of?
(a) The film noir genre.
(b) A cinematic idea.
(c) Film as high art.
(d) Character-driven story.
3. While shooting the birds, a farmer told Hitchcock about crows dive-bombing which of his animals?
(a) His cows.
(b) His lambs.
(c) His chickens.
(d) His horse.
4. Had Hitchcock not bought the rights to "Vertigo", who did Truffaut suggest might have bought them?
(b) A French director.
(c) James Stewart.
(d) Stanley Kubrick.
5. How did Truffaut refer to "Notorious"?
(a) As a surprising failure.
(b) As a technical marvel.
(c) As the quintessence of Hitchcock.
(d) As a departure from Hitchcock's usual style.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hitchcock refuse to hire the quiet man as his assistant?
2. In "The Wrong Man", what was the occupation of the man accused of robbery?
3. In what year was "Notorious" made?
4. What technical innovation was used for the first time on "Rope"?
5. How did Hitchcock say he needed his surroundings to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hitchcock have conflicts with the producer of "Notorious"?
2. Why was Hitchcock attracted to filming "Rear Window"?
3. How did Hitchcock explain filming in color as being potentially problematic?
4. What popular story did Hitchcock refute about Peter Lorre?
5. Was there a connection between Hitchcock's religious upbringing and the film "I Confess"?
6. Why did Hitchcock refuse to have his former boss at Famous Players-Lasky work for him on "Notorious"?
7. What did Hitchcock believe inspired people to view his films many times?
8. For which film did Hitchcock break his rule of not improvising, and what was the effect?
9. What did Truffaut reveal that the book "Vertigo" was based on?
10. What was the downside of involving psychoanalysis in the script for "Spellbound"?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)