|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What technical innovation was used for the first time on "Rope"?
(a) Technicolor film.
(b) Surround sound.
(c) Green screen techniques.
(d) New lighting technology.
2. What was common to the actors sent by casting when Hitchcock was searching for someone to play an ambassador?
(a) They were all balding.
(b) They were all English.
(c) They were all slightly overweight.
(d) They all had little beards.
3. What did Hitchcock insist that all people have at least some tendency for?
4. What did a story that a farmer told Hitchcock about crows inspire in "The Birds"?
(a) A scene where a bird gouged out a man's eyes.
(b) A shot of a rooftop covered in hundreds of crows.
(c) For the pigeons in the script to be replaced with crows.
(d) A scene where a bird attacked a dog.
5. What did Hitchcock say about the frequency of his dreaming?
(a) He never dreamed.
(b) He had several vivid dreams every night.
(c) He dreamed once or twice a week.
(d) He did not dream often.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT said to intrigue Hitchcock about making movies?
2. What kind of approach was needed toward the main character's adventures in "Spellbound"?
3. What did Hitchcock believe might be the reason that people felt the need to watch his films several times?
4. While shooting the birds, a farmer told Hitchcock about crows dive-bombing which of his animals?
5. Hitchcock stated that the storyline for Norman was inspired by a man in which American state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hitchcock's memorization of scripts stop him from doing?
2. Under which circumstance did Hitchcock say he would not have filmed "The Birds"?
3. Why did Hitchcock avoid politics in his films?
4. According to Truffaut, how did the audience get an understanding of James Stewart's character in "Rear Window"?
5. For which film did Hitchcock break his rule of not improvising, and what was the effect?
6. How did Hitchcock approach filming romantic scenes?
7. Why was Hitchcock attracted to filming "Rear Window"?
8. What did Truffaut say would have improved the opening scene of "Psycho"?
9. How did Hitchcock explain filming in color as being potentially problematic?
10. What did Hitchcock and writer Ben Hecht spend a lot of time choosing for the film "Notorious"?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)