|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How would a kissing scene in "Psycho" have appeared to audiences at the time the film was released?
(b) Too chaste.
2. What did the 'MacGuffin' for "Notorious" involve?
(c) A statuette.
(d) A brief case.
3. What happened in the dream Hitchcock told Truffaut about?
(a) The dream evolved into a period piece.
(b) He was directing a film in Niagara Falls.
(c) A bear attacked him.
(d) He was a child back at school.
4. Where did Hitchcock film "Spellbound"?
5. What kind of dreams did Hitchcock say he didn't have?
(a) Lucid dreams.
(b) Dreams in color.
(d) Erotic dreams.
6. Who wrote the screenplay for "Notorious"?
(a) John Michael Hayes.
(b) Ben Hecht.
(c) Anthony Shaffer.
(d) Angus MacPhail.
7. Which of Hitchcock's personal rules did he break during "The Birds"?
(a) To avoid friendships with the film's actors.
(b) Not to experiment technically while filming.
(c) To never improvise while filming.
(d) To not make more than one film in a single year.
8. How did Hitchcock approach romance in a film?
(a) With discomfort and embarrassment.
(b) As he would a dance scene.
(c) As he would an action scene.
(d) Just as any other dramatic mood.
9. What had Hitchcock heard of happening in New Mexico and Norway?
(a) Secret bomb experiments.
(b) Audiences boycotting his films.
(c) UFO crash landings.
(d) Experiments with film techniques.
10. What did Hitchcock regret about "The Wrong Man"?
(a) That audiences didn't respond well to it.
(b) Getting so deeply involved in the story.
(c) Filming it on location.
(d) The title.
11. What did Hitchcock insist that all people have at least some tendency for?
12. Under which circumstance did Hitchcock say he would not have filmed "The Birds"?
(a) Had the birds not been ordinary ones.
(b) Had Tippi Hedren not agreed to be in it.
(c) Had the budget been small.
(d) Had his previous film not been so successful.
13. Who did the character Norman have conversations with in "Psycho"?
(a) The hotel's groundskeeper.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) His own reflection.
(d) His mother.
14. How much did "Rope" cost to produce?
(a) $1.5 million.
(b) $5 million.
(c) $3 million.
(d) $10 million.
15. With "The Wrong Man", what aspect of the film is Hitchcock said to have gone out of his way to ensure rang true?
(a) The American dialect the characters spoke with.
(b) The resemblance of the characters to their real life counterparts.
(c) The feelings that the film evoked.
(d) The settings of the scenes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the only thing that intrigued Hitchcock about the novel "Psycho"?
2. In "The Wrong Man", what happened to the wife of the man on trial?
3. Who wrote the novel, "The Birds"?
4. What did a story that a farmer told Hitchcock about crows inspire in "The Birds"?
5. In what year did Hitchcock film "Spellbound"?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)