|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Useppe respond when the doctor won't let him take the animal out of its cage?
2. What type of food does Useppe buy for himself and Bella during one of their adventures in the city?
3. How many of the thousand Jews who left Tiburtina returned in 1945?
4. Why does Nino respect Davide?
5. According to Davide, who was the ultimate anarchist?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Useppe's feelings about newspapers change in 1945?
2. What does Davide do, immediately after the war ends?
3. What is the situation of the few Jews who return to the Ghetto in 1945?
4. What happens to Hitler in 1945?
5. How does Useppe's behavior change after seeing the disturbing newspaper photos, and his exposure to public school?
6. Who is Scimo?
7. How do Useppe and Ida react when the Allied forces enter Rome in 1944?
8. What is revealed, during Davide's speech, about his feelings for the bourgeoisie and anarchy?
9. Who is Bella, and how is she introduced to the story?
10. How is Nino killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Scimo is a character who seems almost surreal, and leads the reader to wonder if he is simply a figment of Useppe's imagination. Is there any way to tell for sure if Scimo is real or not? Why? What purpose does his character serve? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Ida has a deep-seated fear of doctors and electricity, which interferes with Useppe's treatment. Why does she have these fears? Are they reasonable? Is she simply trying to protect her son, or giving into irrational fears? Why? Are these fears well-founded? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Nino is brazen and belligerent, obnoxious and disrespectful, but still a sympathetic character in many ways. Why does he behave the way he does toward his mother? Is he a bad person, or simply an immature boy with character flaws, trying to survive in a difficult situation? How do his feelings for his brother and dogs change the reader's perception of him? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)