|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Davide, why is there no need for a revolution in 1947?
2. How does Davide die?
3. Where was Segre's family killed during the war?
4. What name does Useppe utter, when he has a strange flash of memory?
5. What does Ida eat, in order to save food for her son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bella, and how is she introduced to the story?
2. What is Nino's situation, in 1944?
3. What is the situation of the few Jews who return to the Ghetto in 1945?
4. Why was Davide alienated from his family?
5. How does Bella save Useppe's life in 1947?
6. What happens when Ida tries to put Useppe in school?
7. What does Davide do, immediately after the war ends?
8. How does Useppe's behavior change after seeing the disturbing newspaper photos, and his exposure to public school?
9. What is revealed, during Davide's speech, about his feelings for the bourgeoisie and anarchy?
10. What does Davide say about Jesus, during his tavern lecture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlo's character is, at times, mysterious, sinister, pitiable and despicable. Why does his character change so much throughout the course of the novel? What literary purpose does his character serve? What is he supposed to represent? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
When Nino first steals food, Ida refuses to eat it, but later she does whatever she must to obtain food for her son. How do Ida's morals and beliefs change as a result of her desperate situation? Is her reaction common for people in her situation? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Ida's parents are discussed at the beginning of the novel, as well as her girlhood. Which of Ida's traits did she inherit from her parents? Which were genetic, and which were learned behaviors? Is there any way of knowing for sure? Are there any events during Ida's childhood which affect the rest of her life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)