|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Davide tells Nino that, someday, he wants to do what?
2. What does Ida eat, in order to save food for her son?
3. What item do Ida and Useppe acquire in 1947?
4. What does Davide recall about the face of the man he killed?
5. Where does Ida spend the last nine years of her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Useppe's behavior change after seeing the disturbing newspaper photos, and his exposure to public school?
2. How do Useppe and Ida react when the Allied forces enter Rome in 1944?
3. What relationship develops between Bella and Useppe in 1947?
4. What happens to Hitler in 1945?
5. How do Useppe's feelings about newspapers change in 1945?
6. What does Davide say about Jesus, during his tavern lecture?
7. What were the Nuremberg trials?
8. In what ways does Ida sacrifice her own well-being for that of her son, in 1944?
9. Why was Davide alienated from his family?
10. Who is Scimo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nino is arrogant and belligerent toward many people, but he has a soft spot for his brother and dogs. Why is Nino's relationship with his brother different from his relationship with his mother and the other people he associates with? Why does he develop such a strong bond with Useppe? Why doesn't he react to Useppe the way Ida expects him to? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Ida spends her entire life feeling like she is an outsider who must keep secrets, even from those she loves most. Why doesn't Ida feel as if she fits in anywhere? How would her life have been different if she were not of mixed blood? Why? Are Ida's feelings justified? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Carlo's character is, at times, mysterious, sinister, pitiable and despicable. Why does his character change so much throughout the course of the novel? What literary purpose does his character serve? What is he supposed to represent? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)