|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city was burned to the ground by the Nazis in 1943?
2. How does Gunther feel about his upcoming trip?
3. In early 1944, what news does Ida get regarding Nino and Carlo?
4. What problem did the Italian Expeditionary Corps face, in 1942?
5. What does Ida begin doing when the air raid alarms go off, in 1943?
Short Essay Questions
1. What health problem does Ida experience as a child, and how do her parents feel about it?
2. How does Useppe sometimes affect Nino's mood?
3. How are Ida's parents characterized?
4. What new ordinance is passed, in 1943, regarding the Jews, and how does it affect Ida?
5. In what state is Carlo Vivaldi when he first arrives at the shelter in 1943?
6. What important object does Nino lose in 1942?
7. Who is Carulina?
8. What was the Italian Racial Law?
9. How do Nino and Ida react to the air raid sirens in Rome, beginning in 1941?
10. How does Ida respond to the air raid sirens, beginning in 1943?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ida's parents are discussed at the beginning of the novel, as well as her girlhood. Which of Ida's traits did she inherit from her parents? Which were genetic, and which were learned behaviors? Is there any way of knowing for sure? Are there any events during Ida's childhood which affect the rest of her life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Useppe's behavior changed drastically after his mother attempted to enroll him in school. Why do these changes occur? Why does Ida begin to believe that there is something wrong with Useppe? Is she right? What caused his behavioral problems? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator uses phrases of uncertainty and first-person expressions when telling the story. Why does the author choose to do this? What literary purpose does this style of writing serve? Was it an effective storytelling method? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)