|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year are Jews excluded from business and employment?
2. What is Useppe's greatest pleasure, as a baby?
3. Who is Ninuzzu?
4. Italy's colonies in Africa were attacked by what country, in 1941?
5. What is Ida able to do, as a result of the money she finds in Eppetondo's mattress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the monk arrives at the shelter?
2. What does Carlo tell Nino about his past, when they first meet?
3. What ultimately happens to Ida's parents?
4. Who is Carulina?
5. How does Useppe respond when he is left alone by Ida as a baby?
6. Where is Gunther, at the start of the novel, and where is he going?
7. Who is Signora DiSegni?
8. What is the general worldwide trend in the war, according to the history presented in 1943?
9. What is Carlo's stance on violence and politics, in 1943?
10. How does Italy's government change in 1943?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ida is devastated by Nino's decision to quit school. Why does Nino decide to quit? How do his decision to quit school, and his rowdy behavior there before he quits, reflect his disdain for authority in general? Why does his decision to quit school affect Ida so deeply? What does she think will happen to him when he drops out of school? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Gunther only appears twice in the novel, but plays a major role. Is he a sympathetic character? Why does the author choose to mix such pitiable qualities with such a hateful persona? Are Gunther's mistakes a result of his situation, or is he an inherently bad person? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Carlo's character is, at times, mysterious, sinister, pitiable and despicable. Why does his character change so much throughout the course of the novel? What literary purpose does his character serve? What is he supposed to represent? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)