|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Carlo's family, which made him suddenly so angry and violent?
2. Civilians and cities in Europe were destroyed by what types of bombing?
3. How many siblings does Ida have?
4. What country was abandoned by its King and government leaders in 1943?
5. Why is Ida anxious about seeing Signora DiSegni?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ida Mancuso described, at the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. How does Ida respond when she learns that she is pregnant with Useppe?
3. What happens when Gunther goes into Remo's in the first chapter?
4. How does Ida and Useppe's living situation change in 1944?
5. What is Carlo's stance on violence and politics, in 1943?
6. How does Useppe respond when he is left alone by Ida as a baby?
7. What was the situation of the Jews in 1938?
8. What important object does Nino lose in 1942?
9. How is Gunther described?
10. What does Nino do for his little brother when Useppe is very young?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlo's character is, at times, mysterious, sinister, pitiable and despicable. Why does his character change so much throughout the course of the novel? What literary purpose does his character serve? What is he supposed to represent? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Scimo is a character who seems almost surreal, and leads the reader to wonder if he is simply a figment of Useppe's imagination. Is there any way to tell for sure if Scimo is real or not? Why? What purpose does his character serve? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
When Nino first steals food, Ida refuses to eat it, but later she does whatever she must to obtain food for her son. How do Ida's morals and beliefs change as a result of her desperate situation? Is her reaction common for people in her situation? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)