|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Useppe develop an aversion to newspapers, in 1945?
(a) Because his mother uses them to try to teach him to read.
(b) Because his brother despises the press, and newspapers in particular.
(c) Because of the pictures of tortured and dead people from the concentration camps.
(d) Because the ink rubs off on his hands.
2. Trade union leaders were assassinated, in 1947, in what city?
3. Davide becomes addicted to what substance?
4. Who murders Santina?
(a) Her pimp.
(b) Her customer.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her son.
5. Why doesn't Davide drink the wine Useppe brings to him?
(a) Because he is high on drugs and can't mix the two.
(b) Because he is already drunk.
(c) Because he is allergic to grapes.
(d) Because wine gives him a headache.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ida allow Useppe to wander freely with Bella?
2. According to Davide, who was the ultimate anarchist?
3. Davide tells Nino that, someday, he wants to do what?
4. Where does Davide deliver his lecture in 1947?
5. How does Useppe react when Nino is with his girlfriend under the tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the Nuremberg trials?
2. What health problem does Useppe develop in 1946, and how does he respond?
3. How does Ida feel about Useppe's frequent outings alone?
4. In what ways does Ida sacrifice her own well-being for that of her son, in 1944?
5. What happens when Ida tries to put Useppe in school?
6. What relationship develops between Bella and Useppe in 1947?
7. How does Nino's outlook on life change after the end of the war?
8. How is Nino killed?
9. Who is Bella, and how is she introduced to the story?
10. What is revealed, during Davide's speech, about his feelings for the bourgeoisie and anarchy?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)