|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gunther is introduced, he is anticipating a trip to where?
2. Why is Carlo useless as a fighter?
(a) He drinks too much.
(b) He is afraid of everything.
(c) He can't control his temper.
(d) He doesn't know enough about the techniques.
3. Why is Ida anxious about seeing Signora DiSegni?
(a) DiSegni has the power to get Ida a job, and help her keep it.
(b) DiSegni is now a member of the German army.
(c) DiSegni had threatened to get Useppe taken away from Ida.
(d) Ida had confessed her Jewish heritage to DiSegni.
4. Where was the Nazi-Fascist Republic of Salo formed in 1943?
(a) Northern Italy.
(b) Southern Italy.
(c) Western Germany.
(d) Eastern Germany.
5. What did Ida's mother, Nora, change about her name?
(a) The spelling.
(b) The hyphen.
(c) The number of letters in her name.
(d) The accent mark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ida's profession?
2. As a baby, where does Useppe spend most of his time?
3. What name does Carlo Vivaldi assume, once he becomes a revolutionary?
4. What is Gunther's profession?
5. How does Carlo respond when encouraged to join the armed revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ida respond when she learns that she is pregnant with Useppe?
2. How does Useppe sometimes affect Nino's mood?
3. What was the Italian Racial Law?
4. How does Ida respond to the air raid sirens, beginning in 1943?
5. How does Nino treat his mother when he is 16?
6. How is Ida Mancuso described, at the beginning of Chapter 2?
7. How does Ida and Useppe's living situation change in 1944?
8. What happens to Carlo after he leaves the shelter in 1943?
9. Who is Carulina?
10. What ultimately happens to Ida's parents?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)