|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country was invaded by Italy in 1941?
2. What is Filomena's profession?
3. What can Nino do, which Ida cannot?
(a) Go to school.
(c) Travel freely in the city.
(d) Get a job.
4. What does Ida name her second son?
5. What does Ida begin doing when the air raid alarms go off, in 1943?
(a) She hides only when they go off at night.
(b) She ignores them, believing nothing will happen.
(c) She runs and hides only if she hears a plane.
(d) She takes Useppe and runs to the basement.
6. In what year are Jews excluded from business and employment?
7. What does Ida give Nino, which is a symbol of freedom to him?
(a) His own key to the house.
(b) Permission to get a job.
(c) A brochure for a new school.
(d) His own car.
8. Why does Ida find herself missing the Thousand?
(a) They helped her look after Useppe.
(b) They helped her with the cooking and cleaning.
(c) The shelter is too empty without them.
(d) She does not trust her new roommates.
9. How does Useppe try to help Filomena's father?
(a) By keeping him warm.
(b) By giving him wine.
(c) By bringing him extra food.
(d) By fluffing his pillows.
10. What happened to Carlo's family, which made him suddenly so angry and violent?
(a) They were deported.
(b) They were sent to a concentration camp.
(c) They were killed.
(d) They were enlisted in the German military.
11. How do the workers and patrons at Remo's treat Gunther?
(a) With genuine hospitality.
(b) With hatred and violence.
(c) With distrust and fear.
(d) With unenthusiastic courtesy.
12. How do people feel about the pact between Hitler and Mussolini, in Chapter 3?
13. Where does Ida stash her life savings during the air raids?
(a) In a hole in the wall.
(b) Behind her stove.
(c) In her corset.
(d) In her mattress.
14. What object is Carulina's prized possession?
(a) An antique hair pin.
(b) An old gramophone.
(c) Her father's wool coat.
(d) Her mother's locket.
15. What happened to Rome during the bombing of Italian cities, as of 1943?
(a) Only the poor areas had been affected.
(b) Only the rich areas had been affected.
(c) It had been devastated.
(d) It had been spared, thus far.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nino do, in 1943, which devastates Ida?
2. Who is Rosella?
3. What was the cause of death for the patriarch of the family from Genzano?
4. What does a stranger tell Useppe about Blitz, after their building is bombed?
5. What country was devastated by attacks in 1941 as a result of its refusal to ally with Germany?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)