|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carlo Vivaldi often practice?
(a) Air raid drills.
(b) Playing the flute.
(c) A gymnastics routine.
(d) Writing his name.
2. What does Ida do, regarding her deceased mother's Jewish heritage, in Chapter 3?
(a) Tries to prevent anyone finding out about it.
(b) Reports it to Italian authorities.
(c) Tells only her husband, and begs him not to report it.
(d) Tells everyone she knows, and refuses to hide it.
3. What was Quattropunto's real name?
4. Where is Gunther from?
5. What city was burned to the ground by the Nazis in 1943?
6. In what year did World War I end?
7. Why is Ida anxious about seeing Signora DiSegni?
(a) DiSegni has the power to get Ida a job, and help her keep it.
(b) DiSegni is now a member of the German army.
(c) DiSegni had threatened to get Useppe taken away from Ida.
(d) Ida had confessed her Jewish heritage to DiSegni.
8. How many casualties were incurred by the end of World War I?
(a) Ten million.
(b) Six million.
(c) One billion.
(d) Three million.
9. What happens to the Duce's son-in-law, in January of 1944?
(a) He flees the country.
(b) He is arrested.
(c) He is taken prisoner.
(d) He is executed.
10. Ida lives as a member of what race, in Chapter 3?
11. What does Nino decide to do, in 1943?
(a) Get married.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Flee to Germany.
(d) Join a military battalion.
12. What object does the German soldier give to Ida?
(a) A flower.
(b) A bracelet.
(c) A pocketwatch.
(d) A knife.
13. The period from 1900 to 1905 marked the beginning of what?
(a) The atomic century.
(b) The United Nations.
(c) The Geneva Convention.
(d) World War I.
14. Why is Carlo useless as a fighter?
(a) He drinks too much.
(b) He doesn't know enough about the techniques.
(c) He can't control his temper.
(d) He is afraid of everything.
15. What object is Carulina's prized possession?
(a) An old gramophone.
(b) An antique hair pin.
(c) Her mother's locket.
(d) Her father's wool coat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ida stash her life savings during the air raids?
2. How many siblings does Ida have?
3. Why does Nino ignore the alarms and sirens going off in the city?
4. What country was devastated by attacks in 1941 as a result of its refusal to ally with Germany?
5. How does Useppe react to the girl that Nino brings home?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)