|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Attica during the time of the battle at Amphipolis?
2. What ultimatum does Athens give to Melos?
3. Why is Alcibiades not brought to trial immediately after the vandalism for which he is blamed?
4. What does Athens do in Scione?
5. What are the results of Corinth's being alarmed during 421 BC?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was so alarming about the revolt of Chios?
2. During the so-called peace of Nicias, what marked the military conflict between Athens and Sparta?
3. After Gylippus' arrival in Syracuse, what immediate conflict began between Syracuse and the Athenians?
4. How did Alcibiades respond to his recall to face charges of blasphemy?
5. What unusual twist of fortune occurred for Alcibiades in 411 BC?
6. What happened in Athens after the revolt of Euboea?
7. How did the peace of Nicias finally break down?
8. What is today generally referred to as the peace of Nicias?
9. What feature of Thucydides' writing would not be acceptable in historical writing today?
10. In 422 BC, what caused the popularity of the Athenian general, Cleon, to rise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Recalling the treatment Athens meted out to any conquered people, write an opinion paper about how their disregard for human value eventually worked against them. Then apply the idea to modern day international relations. Express an opinion about the fall of despots and how the people react.
Essay Topic 2
In the time that Thucydides was writing, it was acceptable to put elements of creativity into a historical manuscript as though it were observed information. Many of the speeches delivered in both Athens and Sparta are reported as though Thucydides was actually present at the time. This practice would not be acceptable today. Give examples of this from the History of the Peloponnesian War and comment on their authenticity.
Essay Topic 3
From the book, and also from some research you do, describe the military uniform used by the Greeks during the time of the Peloponnesian War. In your description include such things as mobility and defensive armor. Explain why ultimately the uniform equipment failed to be effective against innovative weaponry.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)