|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the historic view of the years from 421 to 413 BC?
2. What practice does Thucydides not value other than recognizing its effect on politics and the military?
3. What does Thucydides think of Athenian actions in Scione?
4. What does Thucydides say about the new Peloponnesian triremes?
5. How did Thucydides see the period of 422 to 421 BC?
Short Essay Questions
1. What commonly held belief did Thucydides reject but observed its impact on the war?
2. During the so-called peace of Nicias, what marked the military conflict between Athens and Sparta?
3. To what did Thucydides attribute the final rout of the Athenian navy in the harbor at Syracuse?
4. How did Alcibiades respond to his recall to face charges of blasphemy?
5. How did the peace of Nicias finally break down?
6. In 411 BC, what happened to Athenian democracy?
7. What happened to the dialogue between Melos and Athens?
8. Aside from the disintegration of Athens and its allies, what was the political/military condition of the Grecian world in 412 BC?
9. What was so alarming about the revolt of Chios?
10. What design changes in the new Peloponnesian triremes made them more effective against the Athenian navy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper describing the portions of the History of the Peloponnesian War that you found most interesting. Explain in detail why those passages intrigued you. Contrast those passages with others that you found dry or less interesting.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the subject of slavery during the time of the Peloponnesian War. Stress the differences between Athens and Sparta over the treatment of slaves. Compare these differences with the differences in attitude between North and South in the American Civil War.
Essay Topic 3
In the Peloponnesian war, the Greeks read messages into natural phenomena and consulted oracles. To this day, religion often plays a significant role in military action. Write an essay about religion and warfare.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)