|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What further mischief does a former Athenian general create in 412 BC?
2. How does Thucydides picture certain charismatic generals during the years of the Peloponnesian War?
3. What charismatic individual rises to prominence in 420 BC?
4. How do scholars from other disciplines consider the value of Thucydides' work?
5. At first, what action by Athens signifies a lack of understanding of the defeat at Syracuse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was so alarming about the revolt of Chios?
2. What was Thucydides' intention for his history of the war in terms of future reference?
3. What is today generally referred to as the peace of Nicias?
4. After the defeat at Syracuse, what was the condition of of the Athenian league?
5. Aside from the disintegration of Athens and its allies, what was the political/military condition of the Grecian world in 412 BC?
6. What happened to the dialogue between Melos and Athens?
7. How did Syracuse put the Athenian forces on the defensive?
8. In 411 BC, what happened to Athenian democracy?
9. Who was the charismatic Athenian who promulgated an anti-Spartan alliance in the Peloponnesus? What weakness did he seem to have?
10. What happened in Athens after the revolt of Euboea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper describing the portions of the History of the Peloponnesian War that you found most interesting. Explain in detail why those passages intrigued you. Contrast those passages with others that you found dry or less interesting.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the subject of slavery during the time of the Peloponnesian War. Stress the differences between Athens and Sparta over the treatment of slaves. Compare these differences with the differences in attitude between North and South in the American Civil War.
Essay Topic 3
Look up information about the plague that hit Athens in 430, 429, and 417 BC. Mention in your paper how the plague affected the general population in terms of economics, religion, and the ability to mount a war. Describe in detail the effects of the plague on an individual. Give your opinion as to whether these bouts with the plague affected the ultimate outcome of the Peloponnesian War.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)