|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the stated purpose of Book One of Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War?
2. Where are Spartan ground forces marooned after the battle for Pylos?
3. After Athens intervenes in Corcyra, what does Thucydides observe?
4. What action is Athens taking in Sicily and Italy?
5. In the early days of the war, which power seems to have the upper hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a good description of Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War?
2. How did Athens respond to the attack on Attica?
3. What effect did new technology have on the war?
4. How did Peloponnesian attacks on Attica in the summer of 428 BC affect Athens?
5. What effort did Sparta make to get the Athenians out of Pylos?
6. What happened to the Spartan fleet dispatched to Mytilene?
7. What might have ended the Peloponnesian war after the battle of Pylos?
8. What notable action did the Athenian fleet take in 425 BC on its way to Sicily?
9. How did Athens rise to its highest political power?
10. What was Sparta's advantage in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look up information on Pericles and Cleon. In a paper, discuss Thucydides' opinions of both men. Evaluate Cleon, an aristocrat, who became a champion of the working class. Since Thucydides was also born into aristocracy, is it possible that his bias against Cleon had more to do with social status than with political ideology? Compare Cleon to the Kennedy family of modern day America.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about the social structure of Sparta. Discuss the Helots in terms of both their benefit to the country and their threat. Discuss the Perioeci and why they had special privileges that even Spartans did not enjoy. Discuss Sparta as a good example of a totalitarian form of government.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the History of the Peloponnesian War, give your opinion about the ability of one man to influence the outcome of a battle. Compare the Greek generals to other great generals of history. [Suggested examples: Napoleon, Robert E. Lee, Douglas MacArthur]
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)