|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a major upset to Athens during 447 through 446 BC?
2. After the Helot uprising in Sparta, what action does Athens take?
3. How do the Athenians punish the Mytilene nobles after regaining the territory?
4. What advantage does Athens have while Sparta occupies Attica?
5. What happens immediately after the defeat of the Corcyran fleet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conditions before the lead up to the Peloponnesian War.
2. What event showed that the situation between Athens and Sparta was tenuous at best?
3. What notable action did the Athenian fleet take in 425 BC on its way to Sicily?
4. How did Athens respond to the attack on Attica?
5. What indication by 428 BC suggested that military tactics were changing?
6. What happened to the Spartan fleet dispatched to Mytilene?
7. What complicates the chronology of Thucydides' history?
8. What did Thucydides identify as the starting point of the war?
9. What punishment did Athens mete out to Mytilene after the revolt?
10. What is a good description of Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Peloponnesian war, the Greeks read messages into natural phenomena and consulted oracles. To this day, religion often plays a significant role in military action. Write an essay about religion and warfare.
Essay Topic 2
Using information about motives and prejudices among both the Spartans the Athenians, write a paper about the absurdity of war. Evaluate what was actually accomplished from the Peloponnesian War. Include your assessment of war in general.
Essay Topic 3
For most of the Peloponnesian War, Athens was under a land siege. Although it had little influence on the economy of Athens, imagine how it might have affected civilian life and write a paper on your idea of the limitations such a siege would put on a population.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)