|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Spartans fear the Helots?
2. Why does Thucydides say that Sparta chose to go to war against Athens?
3. What are the most far reaching of the participants in the Peloponnesian War?
4. What is a major upset to Athens during 447 through 446 BC?
5. What is the main concern after Athens fortified Pylos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was unusual about Spartan use of new methods of war?
2. How did Athens rise to its highest political power?
3. What event showed that the situation between Athens and Sparta was tenuous at best?
4. After the battle for Pylos, what happened to the Spartan survivors?
5. Describe the conditions before the lead up to the Peloponnesian War.
6. Simultaneous to the blockade of Mytilene, what offensive action was taken by Athens?
7. What was Thucydides' attitude toward so-called supernatural occurrences?
8. What might have ended the Peloponnesian war after the battle of Pylos?
9. How did Peloponnesian attacks on Attica in the summer of 428 BC affect Athens?
10. What was the first major geographical area in the Peloponnesian War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the contribution of Lesbos to the Athenian war cause. Include information from the chapter on Mytilene. In the paper, discuss how the goals and aspirations of the upper classes do not always coincide with the will of the rank and file population.
Essay Topic 2
In the time that Thucydides was writing, it was acceptable to put elements of creativity into a historical manuscript as though it were observed information. Many of the speeches delivered in both Athens and Sparta are reported as though Thucydides was actually present at the time. This practice would not be acceptable today. Give examples of this from the History of the Peloponnesian War and comment on their authenticity.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper describing the portions of the History of the Peloponnesian War that you found most interesting. Explain in detail why those passages intrigued you. Contrast those passages with others that you found dry or less interesting.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)