|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the annual raids on Attica in 426 BC?
(a) The Peloponnesian army is prevented from ravaging Attica by a series of earthquakes.
(b) Athens is ready for Sparta at the Attica border.
(c) They are postponed because of a lingering winter.
(d) The Spartans decide to try something else.
2. What are the dates of the Peloponnesian War ?
(a) 525 to 480 BC
(b) 380 to 45 BC
(c) 190 BC to 25 AD
(d) 431 to 404 BC
3. Who are the Athenian hoplites?
(a) Heavily-armed military infantry
(b) Helots who fled Sparta after the earthquake
(c) Salves taken from Lesbos
(d) Religious fanatics
4. While the Spartan fleet is at sea, what is happening in Mytilene?
(a) The Mytilene envoy is recalled from Athens.
(b) The people of Mytilene seize power and surrender the city to Athens.
(c) The Mytilene government has a change of mind.
(d) The Mytilenes halt ship production.
5. How does Corinth enter the war?
(a) As opportunists hoping to divide and conquer
(b) As part of their alliance with Thebes
(c) Independently and not yet allied with Sparta
(d) Under seige from the spartans
Short Answer Questions
1. What conflict in the region occurs outside of Athens' political control?
2. How are Spartan envoys able to get through the Athenian blockade of Mytilene?
3. What is Athens doing toward the end of the 526 BC campaign?
4. Who prevents the Athenian army from marching out to meet the Spartans?
5. What catastrophic event leads to the revolt of the Helots?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a good description of Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War?
2. What was unusual about Spartan use of new methods of war?
3. Simultaneous to the blockade of Mytilene, what offensive action was taken by Athens?
4. How did Athens rise to its highest political power?
5. What notable action did the Athenian fleet take in 425 BC on its way to Sicily?
6. How did Pylos actually become an Athenian stronghold in Sparta?
7. What did Thucydides identify as the starting point of the war?
8. What was the political situation between Athens and Sparta by 451 BC?
9. What was the first major geographical area in the Peloponnesian War?
10. After the battle for Pylos, what happened to the Spartan survivors?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)