|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Helots?
(a) Serfs who are little more than Spartan slaves
(b) Athenian spies in Sparta
(c) Greeks from Helotia
(d) A minor political party in Sparta
2. How is the book historically divided by modern scholars?
(a) Book One has historically been subdivided into two named segments although these do not exist as such in the text itself.
(b) Book One is usually looked at as a whole in keeping with Thucydides' method.
(c) Book One is divided in two seasons--winter and summer.
(d) Book One has historically been divided into four major parts with certain aspects emphasized.
3. What Athenian general becomes successful in 425 BC?
(a) Sophocles defeates the Spartans in Attica.
(b) Alcibiades leads many successful raids into the Peloponesian isthmus.
(c) Demosthenes leads Athenian troops and allies to victory over a combined Peloponnesian and Ambraciot army
(d) Androclese uses lions to put fear in the Spartan soldiers.
4. What suggests that the account of Cleon's accomplishments is not thoroughly documented?
(a) Thucydides' particular dislike for Cleon
(b) Everything is military top secret
(c) Cleon's order that nothing be written about it.
(d) Demosthenes covers up the truth.
5. Where are Spartan ground forces marooned after the battle for Pylos?
(a) In Crete
(b) On Lesbos
(c) On the island of Sphacteria
(d) In Sicily
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a major upset to Athens during 447 through 446 BC?
2. In the case of a conquered land, what is the general practice of that time regarding private property?
3. Which political powers are at the epicenter of the Peloponnesian War?
4. From Thucydides' analysis, who of the Mytilene population actually wants to break away from the Delian League?
5. Why is Athens in a superior position at the start of the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Thucydides' attitude toward so-called supernatural occurrences?
2. How did Pylos actually become an Athenian stronghold in Sparta?
3. Rather than meet the Peloponnesian land forces head on, what was Pericles' recommendation?
4. What was the first major geographical area in the Peloponnesian War?
5. Simultaneous to the blockade of Mytilene, what offensive action was taken by Athens?
6. In 426 BC, what prevented the annual invasion of Attica by the Peloponnesian forces?
7. What happened to Brasidas during the unsuccessful assault on Pylos?
8. After the battle for Pylos, what happened to the Spartan survivors?
9. What was Sparta's advantage in the war?
10. What event showed that the situation between Athens and Sparta was tenuous at best?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)