|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which political powers are at the epicenter of the Peloponnesian War?
(a) Athens and Corinth
(b) Athens and Macedon
(c) Athens and Thrace
(d) Athens and Sparta
2. How is the Delian League founded?
(a) By the wide spread acceptance of Plato's Republic.
(b) By the military force of Athens at the time.
(c) Through a series of political treaties binding most Greek cities-states to Athens.
(d) By a convention of city-states seeking protection from Persia.
3. Who is the notable politician who is successful in diverting the attention of Sparta from the Athenians?
4. What are the four major geographic areas listed in Book One?
(a) Egypt, Syria, Greece and Asia Minor.
(b) Athens, Persia, Corint and the Aegean.
(c) Attica, the Peloponnesus, Western Hellas and Thrace.
(d) Sparta, Thebes, the Hellespont and Ephesus.
5. What happens to the Corcyran fleet?
(a) It is lost in a freak storm.
(b) It is defeated by the Peloponesian fleet.
(c) It is victorious over the Peloponesian fleet.
(d) It is sent to Mylitene.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Helots?
2. What happens after the Athenian fleet arrives in Corcyra?
3. How successful is Sparta's land and sea attack on Pylos?
4. How do the Spartans react about their marooned troops?
5. What happens immediately after the defeat of the Corcyran fleet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Athens rise to its highest political power?
2. What was Sparta's advantage in the war?
3. From the point of view of allies, how was Athens positioned in the war?
4. Describe the conditions before the lead up to the Peloponnesian War.
5. What happened to the Spartan fleet dispatched to Mytilene?
6. What indication by 428 BC suggested that military tactics were changing?
7. What punishment did Athens mete out to Mytilene after the revolt?
8. What did Thucydides identify as the starting point of the war?
9. What was Thucydides' reaction to the aftermath of the Corcyran revolt?
10. What effect did new technology have on the war?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)