|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What natural phenomenon affects the war at the same time as a failed peace envoy to Sparta?
(a) A tsunami causes widespread destruction in the Peloponnesian isthmus.
(b) Cyclones sweep across the eastern side of Greece.
(c) An earthquake brings down much of Athens' walls.
(d) The plague appears in Lesbos, then Athens, and then Potidaea.
2. When the annual siege of Attica begins in 427 BC, what naval move does Sparta make?
(a) Sparta dispatches a fleet to Lesbos.
(b) Sparta abandons any naval involvement at all.
(c) Sparta sets up a defense against Athenian hit-and-run raids.
(d) Sparta orderes new ships for Egypt.
3. What conflict in the region occurs outside of Athens' political control?
(a) Corinth and Corcyra form a military alliance.
(b) In 435 BC, Corinth and Corcyra engage in military hostilities; both enjoy some successes but Corcyra appears to gain the advantage.
(c) Persia and Egypt sign treaties of cooperation.
(d) Cyprus begins to emerge as a military force.
4. Who is the first Athenian to suggest fortifying Pylos?
5. What action is Athens taking in Sicily and Italy?
(a) Athens is building new triremes to attack from the West.
(b) Athens is establishing diplomatic relations in Sicily and italy.
(c) Athens is raising additional armies.
(d) Athenian troops capture a few small cities in Sicily and Locris in Italy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens immediately after the defeat of the Corcyran fleet?
2. After Athens intervenes in Corcyra, what does Thucydides observe?
3. What happens when Athens attempts to invade Boeotia?
4. Why do the Spartans fear the Helots?
5. Who are the peltasts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first major geographical area in the Peloponnesian War?
2. After the battle for Pylos, what happened to the Spartan survivors?
3. What complicates the chronology of Thucydides' history?
4. What did Thucydides identify as the starting point of the war?
5. What was Sparta's advantage in the war?
6. What might have ended the Peloponnesian war after the battle of Pylos?
7. What effect did new technology have on the war?
8. How did Pylos actually become an Athenian stronghold in Sparta?
9. What was happening in 432 BC between Athens and Sparta and what was its true purpose?
10. What happened to the Spartan fleet dispatched to Mytilene?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)