|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Thucydides like news reporters today?
(a) He had a column in the Athenian newspaper.
(b) He studied journalism at the university.
(c) He went to battle sites as a war correspondent.
(d) He was reticent about revealing his sources.
2. What indicates Athens' former military superiority as late as 412 BC?
(a) Sparta is still unable to get beyond Attica.
(b) Small nations still look to Sthens for protection.
(c) Athens still has a significant military force .
(d) Persia still considers Athens as a threat.
3. How does Thucydides picture certain charismatic generals during the years of the Peloponnesian War?
(a) Men who have great personalities but little war experience.
(b) A lot of talk and no action
(c) Of little significance to the outcome of the war
(d) Able single-handedly to turn the fortunes of the people they serve.
4. At first, what action by Athens signifies a lack of understanding of the defeat at Syracuse?
(a) They launch an attack on Sparta.
(b) They believe their allies will not desert them.
(c) They vote to build more ships and press forward with the war.
(d) They raise taxes and duties for military spending.
5. How is Argos able to withstand the Spartans?
(a) There is intervention and the Spartans have to retreat.
(b) Argos has new military weaponry.
(c) They have impenetrable walls.
(d) They ally with Athens who fights with them.
6. Why does the Athenian attack on Messana fail?
(a) A betrayal by Alcibiades
(b) Bad weather sinks many Athenian ships.
(c) An earthquake stops the invasion.
(d) The Spartans arrive before Athens.
7. What innovation does Gylippus utilize in the second battle at Syracuse?
(a) Battering rams
8. What ultimatum does Athens give to Melos?
(a) Pay tribute or be wholly destroyed
(b) Surrender supporters of Sparta or face the consequences
(c) Build triemes for Athens or face an embargo
(d) Join the Delian League or remain neutral
9. What military involvement in 416 BC is hotly argued in Athens?
(a) Sending a fleet again to Sicily
(b) Mounting an invasion of Italy
(c) Sending hoplites to guard the borders of Attica
(d) Conscripting Helots to fight the Spartans
10. Who negotiates with both sides--Sparta and Athens--after the defeat at Syracuse?
(b) Sicily's ambassadors
(d) Tissaphernes, the Persian satrap
11. What area remains as the seat of power after the defeat at Syracuse?
(a) Persia and Corinth.
(b) The Attica-Euboea-Boeotia-Peloponnesus Theater
(c) Athens and the Delian League.
(d) Samos, Chios, and Sardis.
12. What happens in the second battle at Syracuse?
(a) Cleon comes and takes command of the Athenians.
(b) Alcibiades arrives with reinforcements.
(c) Gylippus leads his troops to victory.
(d) Nicias finally takes aggressive action.
13. Why is Book 5 of the History of the Peloponnesian War such a short book?
(a) Much of the history during that time is lost.
(b) There is only one battle during that time.
(c) Thucydides has to leave Athens in a hurry.
(d) There are fewer conflicts spread out over a number of years.
14. What major battle occurs in the winter of 415 BC?
(a) Sicily versus Macedonia
(b) Athens versus Syracuse
(c) Thrace versus Thebes
(d) Sparta versus Italy
15. What makes it plausible that Thucydides begins his history from first-hand knowledge?
(a) He is a wealthy Athenian and general in the early days of the war.
(b) He is associated with the highest levels of diplomacy in the early days.
(c) His father is Athenian and his mother is from Sparta.
(d) He is a financier who has connections in high places.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Thucydides see the period of 422 to 421 BC?
2. What does Thucydides say about the new Peloponnesian triremes?
3. Where is Thucydides writing his History of the Peloponnesian War?
4. What desecration of religious idols is charged to Alcibiades?
5. As Spartan power grows, what happens in the Delian League?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)