|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owns the Helots?
(a) The Spartan merchants
(b) The Persian who farms them out to Sparta.
(c) The Spartan state
(d) Individual Spartan citizens
2. What problem soon arises for Athens?
(a) The treasury is rapidly being depleted.
(b) They begin having to travel farther for supplies.
(c) Their triremes begin needing major repairs.
(d) They have a large number of military desertions.
3. After the Helot uprising in Sparta, what action does Athens take?
(a) Athens removes sparta from the Delian League.
(b) Athens resettles some Helots and forges a strong alliance with Megara, which splits from Corinth.
(c) Athens conscripts Helots to fight against Persia.
(d) Athenian armies are defeated by Corinth.
4. The war is between what two powers?
(a) Greece and Italy.
(b) The Athenian empire and the Peloponnesian League, an alliance of city-states led by Sparta.
(c) The Corinthian Empire and the Macedonians.
(d) The Persian Empire and Sparta.
5. What happens in the second battle at Syracuse?
(a) Alcibiades arrives with reinforcements.
(b) Gylippus leads his troops to victory.
(c) Nicias finally takes aggressive action.
(d) Cleon comes and takes command of the Athenians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What natural phenomenon affects the war at the same time as a failed peace envoy to Sparta?
2. After the war begins, what diplomatic success does Athens have?
3. How does a lunar eclipse enter into the Athenian plans to withdraw?
4. What serious setback happens to Athens in 413 BC?
5. In 424 BC, how does Sparta change its military methods?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)