|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Athens intervenes in Corcyra, what does Thucydides observe?
(a) Corcyrans flee to the safety of Athens.
(b) Violence of all kinds sweeps through Corcyra and mass murder is enacted for political and personal reasons.
(c) It is a time of peace in Corcyra.
(d) There is nothing left of Corcyra.
2. Who is instrumental in getting Sparta to join Syracuse against Athens?
3. What are the Athenians doing in Italy at about the same time?
(a) Regrouping to attack Peloponnesus
(b) Calling an international conference
(c) Taking a break from the war
(d) Preparing to invade Syracuse
4. What is Thucydides' conclusion about the ravages of the war?
(a) It is tempered on both sides by benevolence.
(b) It is misrepresented on both sides.
(c) It is dehumanizing.
(d) It is something to be glorified.
5. What is detailed in Book Two?
(a) A complex layout of the geography of the day
(b) The biographies of important individuals ca. 421 BC
(c) The beginning history of the Peloponesian War
(d) The formula Thucydides uses for writing the remainer of the history
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Athenians respond to the many defeats suffered in 414 BC?
2. How is the Delian League founded?
3. Who prevents the Athenian army from marching out to meet the Spartans?
4. What is Athens doing toward the end of the 526 BC campaign?
5. What action is Athens taking in Sicily and Italy?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)