|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in the second battle at Syracuse?
(a) Gylippus leads his troops to victory.
(b) Cleon comes and takes command of the Athenians.
(c) Nicias finally takes aggressive action.
(d) Alcibiades arrives with reinforcements.
2. What does Thucydides say about the new Peloponnesian triremes?
(a) They are lighter and can move faster in the water.
(b) They use less manpower to operate.
(c) They are the largest ships ever built up to that time.
(d) These triremes possess a reinforced prow with strengthened rams.
3. What distant event at this time would later prove important in the Peloponnesian War?
(a) Syracuse invades Messana.
(b) Sicily invades Sparta.
(c) Sicily and Syracuse sign a defense pact.
(d) Sparta invades Syracuse.
4. During the winter of 427 BC, what returns to Athens?
(a) The plague
(b) The Athenian soldiers from Corcyra
(c) The money owned to the Delian League
(d) The Athenian fleet
5. For Athens in 425 BC, what funny thing happens on the way to Sicily?
(a) The Athenians come upon new triremes headed for Sparta and sink them.
(b) The Spartans mistake Athenian ships for theirs and let them pass.
(c) The Athenian fleet is blown off course and lands in Crete.
(d) The fleet comes ashore and fortifies a base at Pylos in Sparta.
Short Answer Questions
1. What practice does Thucydides not value other than recognizing its effect on politics and the military?
2. What appears to be a mistake made by the Athenian forces under Pericles?
3. What did Sparta demand of her allies?
4. What does Athens do in Scione?
5. In 422 BC, what is the financial condition of Athens?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)