|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The emperor was thrown out of a window and landed in a pile of ____.
2. In which city did this event take place?
3. Which group used Plato's structure?
4. The dynasty ruled China from ______.
5. When did John Calvin live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the relationship between Aristotle and Alexander the Great? How long did the relationship last?
2. China was ruled by the Mandate of Heaven under which the Emperor had to be deemed worthy of ruling the people. Explain the Mandate of Heaven.
3. What was Plato's basic concept of education for children from birth through adulthood?
4. When did Desiderius Erasmus live? What was happening in the religious sector during this time?
5. What was the basis of Confucius' educational ideas and theories?
6. Confucius lived during a time of great unrest in China. Discuss the basics of Confucius' life and the political issues of the time.
7. What is the time period of the lifespan of Thomas Aquinas? How did it correspond to the existence of the Roman Empire?
8. Gerald L Gutek wrote this updated Fourth Edition of Historical and Philosophical Foundations of Education: A Biographical Introduction in 2005. What were Gutek's history and qualifications for writing the book?
9. What was Erasmus' career? What area of study became Erasmus' focus?
10. Discuss Thomas Aquinas' basic background.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the educational systems in China today versus those used in Confucius' day. What are the major changes? What are the similarities? How might things change in the next 20 years? 50 years? 100 years?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the career of Jane Addams. What prompted her to open Hull House? What was her main inspiration? Who assisted Addams in her venture? What was the curriculum? Were there similar schools elsewhere? If so, where? What other educators supported Addams?
Essay Topic 3
There is a great deal of discussion about overcoming and changing negative behaviors through changes in the educational system. How can negative behavior be stopped or changed? What are some common views on the subject? In what ways did changes in the educational system help a person make the changes? Can someone else direct the changes or must the changes be self-imposed? How can one make sure that the changes stick? In your opinion, what is the best way to make more positive decisions?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)