|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Aristotle live?
2. The emperor was thrown out of a window and landed in a pile of ____.
3. In which century did the dynasty lose it's mandate?
4. What type of system did the dynasty use?
5. The text states that people developed a keen interest in the Protestant Reformation and the ______ Counter-reformation.
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Desiderius Erasmus live? What was happening in the religious sector during this time?
2. Discuss Thomas Aquinas' basic background.
3. How did Martin Luther play a part in this time period? What was Luther's major focus?
4. What was Quintilian's basic idea and outline for education?
5. Why did Calvin feel that it was so important for people to become literate?
6. When did John Calvin live? What major events occurred in the religious sector during this time? What caused the turbulence of the time?
7. What is the basic background of Calvin's education?
8. What is the time period of the lifespan of Thomas Aquinas? How did it correspond to the existence of the Roman Empire?
9. Confucius lived during a time of great unrest in China. Discuss the basics of Confucius' life and the political issues of the time.
10. When was Confucianism introduced into the Western world and by whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the conflict of religion in schools. Examine which educators struggled to loosen the grasp of the church on various educational systems and its effects, both good and bad.
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal of discussion about overcoming and changing negative behaviors through changes in the educational system. How can negative behavior be stopped or changed? What are some common views on the subject? In what ways did changes in the educational system help a person make the changes? Can someone else direct the changes or must the changes be self-imposed? How can one make sure that the changes stick? In your opinion, what is the best way to make more positive decisions?
Essay Topic 3
The book makes references to the landmark case of Oliver Brown v. The Board of Education. The case took place during the height of the racial upheaval in the south in the 1940s and 1950s, mainly in Little Rock, AR. Discuss the court case and all of its details. What was the final decision in the case? When was the case resolved? Was Du Bois involved in the case? What was his opinion on the decision? Did it help or hinder his ideals and plans for changing the face of education? Explain.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)