|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Confucius traveled for how many years?
2. Which dynasty took its place?
3. Gutek's work follows which type of progression?
4. In which city did this event take place?
5. How old was Thomas Aquinas when he was enrolled in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the basis of Confucius' educational ideas and theories?
2. Aquinas used his education to develop his own doctrine. What was his major work called? What was the name of the religious/philosophical movement that followed?
3. When was Confucianism introduced into the Western world and by whom?
4. How does Gutek incorporate historical approaches in relation with modern ideas?
5. How did Plato's place of birth affect the political and philosophical atmosphere of his youth? What was different about Greece compared to other countries?
6. What is the basic structure of the book? How does Gutek involve the reader in the text?
7. Why did Calvin feel that it was so important for people to become literate?
8. What caused the disintegration of China's political system? When the major changes occur?
9. How did commerce affect the political and educational nature of the time?
10. What is the basic educational background of Erasmus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several of the educators, including Montessori and Frobel, discuss addressing the entire youth experience versus simply focusing on academic achievement. Write an opinion on this philosophy. Include how this has played a part in your life, list the pros and cons of this approach, and how it may be developed to further benefit modern society.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the legacy of Gandhi and the overall reform of India via its educational system.
Essay Topic 3
The book makes references to the landmark case of Oliver Brown v. The Board of Education. The case took place during the height of the racial upheaval in the south in the 1940s and 1950s, mainly in Little Rock, AR. Discuss the court case and all of its details. What was the final decision in the case? When was the case resolved? Was Du Bois involved in the case? What was his opinion on the decision? Did it help or hinder his ideals and plans for changing the face of education? Explain.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)