|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Confucius designed his educational system to be based on which of the following?
2. In which century did the Renaissance begin?
3. Serfs tended to be _____.
4. Alexander the Great conquered many regions in which empire?
5. In which year did China become a republic?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Plato's educational background created? Which philosopher had a great impact on Plato?
2. How does Gutek incorporate historical approaches in relation with modern ideas?
3. When did John Calvin live? What major events occurred in the religious sector during this time? What caused the turbulence of the time?
4. What was Quintilian's basic idea and outline for education?
5. What is the time period of the lifespan of Thomas Aquinas? How did it correspond to the existence of the Roman Empire?
6. What is the basic progression of Gutek's examination of the people featured in the text?
7. Gerald L Gutek wrote this updated Fourth Edition of Historical and Philosophical Foundations of Education: A Biographical Introduction in 2005. What were Gutek's history and qualifications for writing the book?
8. What was Erasmus' career? What area of study became Erasmus' focus?
9. How did Plato's place of birth affect the political and philosophical atmosphere of his youth? What was different about Greece compared to other countries?
10. What is the basic structure of the book? How does Gutek involve the reader in the text?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Maria Montessori switched from engineering to medicine? What caused her to switch from medicine to education? Examine Montessori's medical career. What prompted her to open a school? Was it a success? When did Montessori come to the US? How are the Montessori Schools in the US different from those in Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the drastic changes that took place for children before, during and after the Industrial Revolution. How did child labor laws affect education? What were the pros and cons of requiring children to attend school instead of work? How did it affect America on a societal and commercial level?
Essay Topic 3
Create a time line of the entire book, including the educators and their offerings to the education system.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)