|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Comenius had an ongoing issue with which religious group?
2. What were the individual regions in Greece called?
3. Which was not one of Confucius' jobs?
4. Who is known as the Theologian and Educator of the Protestant Reformation?
5. Aquinas' philosophy was referred to as which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Calvin feel that it was so important for people to become literate?
2. What is the basic background of Calvin's education?
3. Examine Erasmus' first encounter with humanist scholars. How did Erasmus use that exposure plus academic works to further his education?
4. What was the relationship between Aristotle and Alexander the Great? How long did the relationship last?
5. How was Plato's hierarchical structure used by the Roman Catholic Church? What was the role of the Pope in this structure?
6. Discuss Thomas Aquinas' basic background.
7. How does Gutek incorporate historical approaches in relation with modern ideas?
8. When did Desiderius Erasmus live? What was happening in the religious sector during this time?
9. When was Confucianism introduced into the Western world and by whom?
10. What was Plato's basic concept of education for children from birth through adulthood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book makes references to the landmark case of Oliver Brown v. The Board of Education. The case took place during the height of the racial upheaval in the south in the 1940s and 1950s, mainly in Little Rock, AR. Discuss the court case and all of its details. What was the final decision in the case? When was the case resolved? Was Du Bois involved in the case? What was his opinion on the decision? Did it help or hinder his ideals and plans for changing the face of education? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the conflict of religion in schools. Examine which educators struggled to loosen the grasp of the church on various educational systems and its effects, both good and bad.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the educational systems in Europe and America today versus those used in 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. What are the major changes? What are the similarities? How might things change in the next 20 years? 50 years? 100 years?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)