|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the 4th edition released?
2. In which year did China become a republic?
3. The demands were posted on the door of which type of building?
4. The government wanted its people to see its king as a ____ father figure.
5. When did Plato live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Gerald L Gutek wrote this updated Fourth Edition of Historical and Philosophical Foundations of Education: A Biographical Introduction in 2005. What were Gutek's history and qualifications for writing the book?
2. Examine Erasmus' first encounter with humanist scholars. How did Erasmus use that exposure plus academic works to further his education?
3. When did Johann Amos Comenius live? What major events occurred with the Moravian church during this time? Who was involved in creating turbulence?
4. How was Plato's hierarchical structure used by the Roman Catholic Church? What was the role of the Pope in this structure?
5. What was the basic difference between the city-states of Greece? How did they differ from countries with one system?
6. Confucius lived during a time of great unrest in China. Discuss the basics of Confucius' life and the political issues of the time.
7. What is the basic structure of the book? How does Gutek involve the reader in the text?
8. What was the basis of Confucius' educational ideas and theories?
9. What is the basic progression of Gutek's examination of the people featured in the text?
10. What was the relationship between Aristotle and Alexander the Great? How long did the relationship last?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the ancient Greeks' contributions to modern education. Include the work of Plato and Aristotle. Compare and contrast the contributions of the ancient Greeks to the more modern educators such as Montessori and Froebel. Who made the biggest contribution? How did the other educators base their work upon the systems developed by the ancient Greeks? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the conflict of religion in schools. Examine which educators struggled to loosen the grasp of the church on various educational systems and its effects, both good and bad.
Essay Topic 3
Many changes occurred in the educational system during and after the Great Depression. Discuss the changes. How did Roosevelt support educational equality? How did it assist in overcoming ethnic barriers? How did the New Deal incorporate all races into the plan? Discuss what changes took place in local politics at the time.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)