|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Japanese scientists announce after having investigated Hiroshima?
2. Why does Mr. Tanaka send his daughter for Mr. Tanimoto, whom he hadn't been on good terms with?
3. What happens to Dr. Sasaki about seven months after the bombing?
4. In Chapter 3, what gesture makes Father Kleinsorge a little hysterical and want to cry suddenly?
5. What happens to Mrs. Nakamura a few weeks after the bombing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Nakamura children spend the night at Asano Park the day of the bombing?
2. What happens to Father Kleinsorge's physical condition a few weeks after the bombing?
3. Who does Mr. Tanimoto keep trying to avoid at the park?
4. What does Mr. Tanimoto see when he goes to find a doctor at an aid station?
5. How do the Japanese react to their Emperor's radio broadcast?
6. What theory does Dr. Sasaki and his colleagues at the Red Cross Hospital make about the first stage of the radiation disease?
7. Describe Mr. Tanaka.
8. How does President Truman describe the atomic bomb during his radio announcement?
9. What makes Father Kleinsorge a little hysterical, wanting to cry after feeling thirsty in the dreadful heat?
10. How does Miss Sasaki spend the first night of the bombing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Weeks after the explosion, people experience radiation sickness.
1. How were some of the characters able to excel despite radiation sickness? Would the characters have been able to push as far had they not experienced the trauma of the atomic bomb and radiation sickness?
2. What immediate actions could the Japanese or other governments, like that of the United states, have done to help ease the peoples' radiation sickness?
Essay Topic 2
After the bomb drops, Dr. Sasaki and Mr. Tanimoto put a great deal of efforts in helping others.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Dr. Sasaki and the Reverend Mr. Tanimoto. How are they the same? How are they different?
Part 2) In general, who works harder, Dr. Sasaki or Mr. Tanimoto? Cite three examples from the book to support your case.
Part 3) How are the two men affected differently/similarly by what happens to Hiroshima? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The six characters of Hiroshima witness horrific deaths after the bombing.
1. How do the characters in the book view death, particularly of those who die as a result of the bombing? Cite three examples that supports your theory.
2. Is the book ever really far from the subject of death? Are there parts that deal with only life and vitality? Give three examples that supports your theory.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)