|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Much-Afraid's third day after her transformation, what did she discover?
2. As she looked at each of the memory stones she had collected what did Much-Afraid remember?
3. How is the Shepherd dressed when Much-Afraid meets him on the top of a peak where she had leaped after realizing she now had hinds' feet?
4. Who was the King of Love, and how did he anoint Much-Afraid?
5. What did Much-Afraid reply to the question the Shepherd asked when they were alone after coming out of the mist?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Much-Afraid could not remove the need for human love growing in her heart herself, what did she ask the priest do do?
2. How did Much-Afraid feel when she heard the next part of her journey was through the Forests of Danger and Tribulations?
3. After getting soaked from the storm, and walking around in the heavy mist, what weakness did the Fearling clan target when they made their next verbal attack on Much-Afraid and her companions?
4. While in the Valley of Loss, Much-Afraid was extremely frightened and felt as though she was looking down into the abyss of horror. What did she say when the Shepherd came to her?
5. How fitting was the new name the King gave Much-Afraid?
6. When Much-Afraid awakened after sacrificing the need for human love that had been growing in her heart, what did she find?
7. What happened when Much-Afraid thought about throwing away all her memory stones?
8. What did the King tell Grace and Glory when she spoke to him about the feelings she was having about her family?
9. When did Much-Afraid realize she finally had hinds' feet?
10. What happened when Much-Afraid got out of the rocky pool she had bathed in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At different points in the story things appear when they are needed most. An example is the plank along the broken pathway. List several of these and explain what these things symbolize.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of the Shepherd, the King of Love, and the plant of Love growing in Much-Afraid's heart?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the story it is mentioned that there are many followers of the Shepherd living in the Valley of Humiliation. Some are mentioned by name. After reading the entire novel, explain what the followers have in common with Much-Afraid. What does their presence in the story represent? What does their presence in the Valley of Humiliation tell the reader about good and evil both within one place? How would this reflect back on real life?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)