|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the only two schools that Vance had interested in attending college at after he completed the SATs?
2. What is the term used by psychologists to refer to when a person believes that the choices he makes have no effects on the outcome of his life?
3. How much weight did Vance lose during boot camp for the Marine Corps?
4. When was Mamaw's 72nd birthday?
5. Where did Vance move with his wife after their one-year clerkships to build a home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vance describe his years at Ohio State University?
2. What paradox does Vance point out regarding the tuition for Yale Law School in Chapter 12?
3. How was the Marine Corps beneficial to Vance's later success in life?
4. What relationship difficulties does Vance discuss in Chapter 14?
5. Why did Vance initially not apply to the top law schools? What changed his mind?
6. What problems with the foster care system in the U.S. are discussed by Vance in Chapter 15?
7. What does "learned helplessness" mean and how does Vance address it in Hillbilly Elegy?
8. What led to Mamaw's death? When did she die?
9. How did Mamaw feel about Vance's decision to join the Marine Corps? Why?
10. Why did Vance go to the motel in Middletown in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Vance describe his relationship with Lindsay growing up? How much older is Lindsay than J. D. Vance? How does he feel about the role that Lindsay played in his life today?
Essay Topic 2
How does Vance describe his relationship with his biological father in the memoir? When did his father abandon Vance? When did he come back into Vance's life? How did Vance's father influence him?
Essay Topic 3
What are the circumstances that led to Vance's mother's arrest for abuse? Why did Vance lie at the trial for his mother? What promise did he receive for doing so?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)