|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does author J. D. Vance currently live?
2. What does LSAT stand for?
3. To what does Vance compare disagreements in his family in Chapter 14?
4. What amount of money does Vance describe as unreasonable as a salary in Middletown, but the salary that graduates of Yale Law School expected to earn in their first year out of school in Chapter 12?
5. What are referred to as the mythical "top three" law schools in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vance describe as the single most determinant for a person's success in Chapter 15?
2. How does Vance describe his experiences of fitting in at Yale Law School?
3. How was the Marine Corps beneficial to Vance's later success in life?
4. What dream does describe in the Conclusion?
5. How does Vance describe the Christmas celebrations within Usha and Bonnie's families in childhood in the Conclusion?
6. What does "learned helplessness" mean and how does Vance address it in Hillbilly Elegy?
7. How does Vance describe his own family's Christmas celebrations in his Conclusion?
8. How did Mamaw feel about Vance's decision to join the Marine Corps? Why?
9. Who is Amy Chua and how did she assist Vance in his career goals?
10. Why was golf the sport that Vance's grandmother encouraged him to learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Vance's observations while working at his first job at Dillman's grocery. What did Vance discover about his neighbors and those within his community? How did these observations influence Vance's future?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the region known as Appalachia and its residents and culture. How large is this region? What is the economy of the region like? How does Vance describe the "hillbillies" of this region?
Essay Topic 3
What marital struggles did Mamaw and Papaw face while living in Ohio? How were these conflicts ultimately resolved? What were the impacts of these struggles on Mamaw and Papaw's children?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)