|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the descent of law firm recruiters every August referred to by the students at Yale Law School?
2. What does Vance say Usha often received as Christmas presents in the Conclusion?
3. What is one of the central themes addressed in Hillbilly Elegy?
4. What kind of wine does Vance describe having asked for at the elite meeting with a law agency based on its ability to be pronounced in Chapter 13?
5. What is the name of the holler where Mamaw was buried in the family cemetery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vance describe his experiences of fitting in at Yale Law School?
2. What are the impacts of social perceptions of masculinity and femininity in poor societies, according to Vance in Chapter 15?
3. Why did Vance go to the motel in Middletown in Chapter 15?
4. What problems with the foster care system in the U.S. are discussed by Vance in Chapter 15?
5. Where did Vance intend to attend college after graduating high school? Why?
6. Why did Vance tell the woman at the gas station that his girlfriend attended Yale in Chapter 12?
7. What dream does describe in the Conclusion?
8. Who is Brian and why does Vance discuss him in the Conclusion?
9. Who is Amy Chua and how did she assist Vance in his career goals?
10. Why was Vance drawn to attending Yale Law School? What aspects of the program appealed to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Vance describe the cultural differences that Mamaw and Papaw experienced when they moved from Kentucky to Ohio? How did they cope with these differences? How did Vance perceive the differences between these settings?
Essay Topic 2
How was Vance's mother's addiction to drugs discovered? What was done in terms of helping her seek treatment? How did Vance participate in helping his mother with her treatment?
Essay Topic 3
How does Vance describe Papaw's death in the memoir? How was Papaw's death discovered? How did the family respond to his death? In what ways did Papaw's death impact Vance?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)