|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vance describe his grandmother convincing him to do for his mother in Chapter 9?
2. How far is Hamilton from Middletown, Ohio?
3. What is Vance's father's name?
4. How old was Vance when Uncle Teaberry died?
5. What family operated a large paper mill in Middletown dating back to the nineteenth century?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vance's mother's behavior change after Papaw's death?
2. What led to the migration of hillbillies from Appalachia to the Rust Belt?
3. How does Vance describe the events around his mother's suicide attempt in Preble County?
4. How does Vance describe Mamaw and Papaw's children in Chapter 3?
5. How does Vance describe his youth while living in Middletown with his mother, sister, and stepfather in Chapter 5?
6. How did Vance's life change when his mother and stepfather moved the family to Preble County?
7. How does Vance describe his experiences while living with his mother and Ken in Chapter 8?
8. What were the circumstances of Mamaw and Papaw's move to Ohio?
9. Who officially adopted Vance after his father relinquished parental rights? How did Vance feel about this adoption?
10. How does Vance describe his experiences living with his biological father in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does Vance describe as the place he most considers "home" to him? Why does he feel this way? When did he frequent this setting and what individuals does Vance describe here?
Essay Topic 2
How does Vance describe the events and circumstances leading up to his mother's separation from Bob? Where did Vance go to live with his mother and Bob? How did he respond to this transition?
Essay Topic 3
How does Vance describe Papaw's death in the memoir? How was Papaw's death discovered? How did the family respond to his death? In what ways did Papaw's death impact Vance?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)