|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the bully that Vance describes sucker-punching in the gut to defend a younger boy in Chapter 5?
2. Where did Vance get his first job while in high school?
3. What does Vance describe Papaw's main hobby as in Chapter 7?
4. Who is the Middletown High School teacher who works with at-risk youth in Middletown and is quoted by Vance in Chapter 4?
5. What percentage of white children lived in neighborhoods with poverty rates above 10% in 2000, according to Vance in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the primary reasons for the cultural decay in Appalachia that Vance describes in the Prologue?
2. How did Vance's mother's behavior change after Papaw's death?
3. How does Vance describe his experiences while living with his mother and Ken in Chapter 8?
4. How are the "Blanton men" described in the narrative?
5. What difficulties does Vance describe that Mamaw and Papaw faced in their marriage in Chapter 3?
6. How did Vance feel about participating with his mother in her rehabilitative activities after Papaw's death?
7. What does "family loyalty" mean to Vance?
8. Who officially adopted Vance after his father relinquished parental rights? How did Vance feel about this adoption?
9. What were the circumstances of Mamaw and Papaw's move to Ohio?
10. How does Vance describe the setting of Middletown when he was born in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What led to the decline of Middletown, Ohio, according to Vance? How did the economic decline of the town manifest in the city parks and recreation areas? What impacts did the decline have on the citizens of Middletown?
Essay Topic 2
Who are Mamaw and Papaw's three children? How does Vance describe them in the memoir? Who is Vance's mother and how does he describe his relationship with her growing up?
Essay Topic 3
What event led to Vance moving in solely with Mamaw during his teenage years? Why? How did Vance feel about living with Mamaw? How did his life change once he moved in with her?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)