|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of white children lived in neighborhoods with poverty rates above 10% in 2000, according to Vance in Chapter 4?
2. How much money did Mamaw pay to get Vance a graphing calculator for his Advanced Math class in his junior year?
3. Who did Lindsay marry after Papaw's death?
4. Vance opens his Introduction by telling the reader that he finds the existence of the book itself to be what?
5. How far is Hamilton from Middletown, Ohio?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Lindsay devastated after meeting with the modeling scout in Chapter 6?
2. How was Papaw's death discovered by the family?
3. How does Vance describe his experiences and observations while working at Dillman's grocery store?
4. Why did Lindsay feel guilting for taking advantage of Papaw after his death?
5. What were the circumstances of Mamaw and Papaw's move to Ohio?
6. How did Vance's life change once he moved in to live solely with Mamaw during his teenage years?
7. How does Vance describe the differences between Ohio and Kentucky that Mamaw and Papaw encountered after they moved?
8. Where does Vance describe his "home" as being in Chapter 1?
9. How did Vance respond when his father relinquished all parental rights? How old was he?
10. How does Vance describe his experiences living with his biological father in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are Mamaw and Papaw's three children? How does Vance describe them in the memoir? Who is Vance's mother and how does he describe his relationship with her growing up?
Essay Topic 2
What event led to Vance moving in solely with Mamaw during his teenage years? Why? How did Vance feel about living with Mamaw? How did his life change once he moved in with her?
Essay Topic 3
When did Vance's grandparents (Mamaw and Papaw) move to Ohio? What were the circumstances surrounding their move? Where did they settle in Ohio and why?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)