|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Vance when Papaw died?
2. When did Vance's parents marry?
3. Where was Ken born?
4. What kind of business did Uncle Gary establish?
5. How much older is Vance's sister Lindsay than he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vance describe his experiences and observations while working at Dillman's grocery store?
2. How did Vance's mother's behavior change after Papaw's death?
3. How did Vance's life change when his mother and stepfather moved the family to Preble County?
4. What were the circumstances of Mamaw and Papaw's move to Ohio?
5. How was Papaw's death discovered by the family?
6. How does Vance define the term "hillbilly" in his Prologue?
7. Why did Lindsay feel guilting for taking advantage of Papaw after his death?
8. How did Vance feel about participating with his mother in her rehabilitative activities after Papaw's death?
9. How does Vance describe Mamaw and Papaw's children in Chapter 3?
10. Why was Lindsay devastated after meeting with the modeling scout in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Vance describe the cultural differences that Mamaw and Papaw experienced when they moved from Kentucky to Ohio? How did they cope with these differences? How did Vance perceive the differences between these settings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Vance's observations while working at his first job at Dillman's grocery. What did Vance discover about his neighbors and those within his community? How did these observations influence Vance's future?
Essay Topic 3
How does Vance describe Papaw's death in the memoir? How was Papaw's death discovered? How did the family respond to his death? In what ways did Papaw's death impact Vance?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)