|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ken live when Vance lived with him?
2. What family operated a large paper mill in Middletown dating back to the nineteenth century?
3. Where did Vance grow up?
4. When is Vance's birthday?
5. Where did Vance work to save money before going to graduate school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to the migration of hillbillies from Appalachia to the Rust Belt?
2. Who officially adopted Vance after his father relinquished parental rights? How did Vance feel about this adoption?
3. How did Vance's life change when his mother and stepfather moved the family to Preble County?
4. What led to the economic decline of Middletown, Ohio?
5. How does Vance describe his experiences while living with his mother and Ken in Chapter 8?
6. What are the primary reasons for the cultural decay in Appalachia that Vance describes in the Prologue?
7. What event ultimately led to Vance living solely with Mamaw during his teenage years?
8. How are the "Blanton men" described in the narrative?
9. How did Vance's mother respond when he refused to move in with her and Matt?
10. What factors led to the lack of ambition in the residents of Middletown, according to Vance in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are Mamaw and Papaw's three children? How does Vance describe them in the memoir? Who is Vance's mother and how does he describe his relationship with her growing up?
Essay Topic 2
What was Mamaw's relationship with organized religion? How did this influence Vance? Who else in Vance's life had influence over his religious explorations and beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
How does Vance describe the events and circumstances leading up to his mother's separation from Bob? Where did Vance go to live with his mother and Bob? How did he respond to this transition?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)