|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the top law schools did Vance not apply to because he needed a sign-off from the dean of his undergraduate college?
2. How much weight did Vance lose during boot camp for the Marine Corps?
(a) 35 pounds.
(b) 45 pounds.
(c) 60 pounds.
(d) 25 pounds.
3. What kind of wine does Vance describe having asked for at the elite meeting with a law agency based on its ability to be pronounced in Chapter 13?
(c) Sauvignon blanc.
(d) Pinot gricio.
4. What popular toy does Vance describe Lindsay and his mother desperately searching for at Christmastime when he was a baby in the Conclusion?
(a) A Baby Alive doll.
(b) A Glow-Worm.
(c) A Cabbage Patch doll.
(d) A Teddy Ruxpin doll.
5. When did Vance learn that his Marine Corps unit would leave for Iraq a few months later, according to his narrative in Chapter 10?
(a) January, 2006.
(b) March, 2003.
(c) February, 2007.
(d) January, 2005.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the journalist and opinion leader who now writes for The Atlantic that Vance worked for as a contributor on his website?
2. What is the name of the holler where Mamaw was buried in the family cemetery?
3. What does ACE stand for in Vance's definition in Chapter 14?
4. Who was Gail's second husband?
5. Vance notes in Chapter 13 that if Usha had possessed a terrible personality, she would have made an excellent heroine in a novel by what author?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Brian and why does Vance discuss him in the Conclusion?
2. How does Vance describe his experiences of fitting in at Yale Law School?
3. What led to Vance's decision to join the Marine Corps?
4. Who is Amy Chua and how did she assist Vance in his career goals?
5. How does Vance describe his own family's Christmas celebrations in his Conclusion?
6. How did Mamaw feel about Vance's decision to join the Marine Corps? Why?
7. Where did Vance intend to attend college after graduating high school? Why?
8. What relationship difficulties does Vance discuss in Chapter 14?
9. How often did Vance's family write to him while he was in boot camp? What did they write about?
10. What does Vance describe as the single most determinant for a person's success in Chapter 15?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)