|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the cost for a week's stay at the Middleton hotel where Vance put up his mother in Chapter 15?
2. Who is described as the "monster" in Vance's nightmare with his dog in the Conclusion?
(a) The author.
(b) His mother.
(d) His sister.
3. What are referred to as the mythical "top three" law schools in Chapter 12?
(a) Rutgers, Princeton, and Yale.
(b) Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford.
(c) Yale, Harvard, and Stanford.
(d) Yale, Princeton, and Brown.
4. According to a student survey cited by Vance in Chapter 12, what percentage of Yale Law Schools students qualify as upper-middle class or higher?
(a) Over 80%.
(b) Over 50%.
(c) Over 95%.
(d) Over 75%.
5. What led to Mamaw's hospitalization just before her 72nd birthday?
(a) A bladder infection.
(b) A kidney stone.
(c) A collapsed lung.
(d) A brain aneurysm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the two people who Vance gave the ACE quiz to that scored a zero?
2. How does Vance describe his experience of going to a counselor when he was in law school?
3. How long do students study to earn a degree at Yale Law School?
4. What is the story of Brian's mother in the Conclusion?
5. Vance asserts in Chapter 11 that Mamaw had two gods, which were Jesus Christ and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Vance drawn to attending Yale Law School? What aspects of the program appealed to him?
2. What paradox does Vance point out regarding the tuition for Yale Law School in Chapter 12?
3. How does Vance describe the Christmas celebrations within Usha and Bonnie's families in childhood in the Conclusion?
4. What does Vance describe as the single most determinant for a person's success in Chapter 15?
5. What are "adverse childhood experiences" and how does Vance define them in Chapter 14?
6. Why was golf the sport that Vance's grandmother encouraged him to learn?
7. How does Vance describe the difficulties of upward mobility in Chapter 12?
8. How did Mamaw feel about Vance's decision to join the Marine Corps? Why?
9. Why did Vance initially not apply to the top law schools? What changed his mind?
10. How does Vance describe his own family's Christmas celebrations in his Conclusion?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)