|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Vance have lunch with his sister Lindsay on the day of his orientation at Ohio State?
2. What kind of wine does Vance describe having asked for at the elite meeting with a law agency based on its ability to be pronounced in Chapter 13?
(c) Pinot gricio.
(d) Sauvignon blanc.
3. When was Mamaw's 72nd birthday?
(a) April, 2005.
(b) June, 2006.
(c) February, 2007.
(d) March, 2003.
4. When did Vance graduate from Ohio State University?
(a) September, 2003.
(b) August, 2009.
(c) March, 2010.
(d) January, 2008.
5. Who was the professor who explained how The Yale Law Journal worked, and who encouraged Vance to try for it?
(a) Jennifer McGuffey.
(b) Ron Selby.
(c) William Julius Wilson.
(d) Amy Chua.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much weight did Vance lose during his bout with mono while in college in Chapter 11?
2. How old is the kid Brian that Vance describes in the Conclusion?
3. How many members were in Vance's Marine Corps boot camp platoon by the end of boot camp?
4. Why was Gail largely excommunicated from her family?
5. What nickname did Vance's group of friends in the constitutional law seminar at Yale call themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dream does describe in the Conclusion?
2. Why was golf the sport that Vance's grandmother encouraged him to learn?
3. How often did Vance's family write to him while he was in boot camp? What did they write about?
4. What led to Vance's decision to join the Marine Corps?
5. How was the Marine Corps beneficial to Vance's later success in life?
6. Why was Vance drawn to attending Yale Law School? What aspects of the program appealed to him?
7. What paradox does Vance point out regarding the tuition for Yale Law School in Chapter 12?
8. Why did Vance tell the woman at the gas station that his girlfriend attended Yale in Chapter 12?
9. What problems with the foster care system in the U.S. are discussed by Vance in Chapter 15?
10. What does "learned helplessness" mean and how does Vance address it in Hillbilly Elegy?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)