|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What law firm did Vance get invited to a dinner with after his first interviews at Yale Law, hosted at an elite New Haven restaurant?
(a) Anderson, Smith and Watson, LLP.
(b) Bernstein, Liebhard and Lifshitz, LLP.
(c) Gibson, Dunn and Crutcher, LLP.
(d) Williams, Schumer and Smith, LLP.
2. Who is the Yale contracts professor that Vance thanks in the Acknowledgments?
(a) Jennifer McGuffey.
(b) Amy Chua.
(c) William Julius Wilson.
(d) Ron Selby.
3. What does Vance say Usha often received as Christmas presents in the Conclusion?
(b) Trendy toys.
4. Which of the top law schools did Vance not apply to because he needed a sign-off from the dean of his undergraduate college?
5. Where did Papaw install a secret phone line for Vance and his sister so that they could call Mamaw and Papaw when they needed to?
(a) In a bathroom closet.
(b) In the bottom of a toybox.
(c) In the back of Lindsay's closet.
(d) In a kitchen cupboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bonnie's mother?
2. Who is the Indiana Governor that Vance describes meeting briefly and as being the public figure he most admired in Chapter 13?
3. What is one of the central themes addressed in Hillbilly Elegy?
4. Which of her siblings did Mamaw ask for old golf clubs for Vance when he was learning to play?
5. How much money per month did Vance send to his grandmother after her insurance premiums went up too much for her to afford them in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Vance intend to attend college after graduating high school? Why?
2. What relationship difficulties does Vance discuss in Chapter 14?
3. What does "learned helplessness" mean and how does Vance address it in Hillbilly Elegy?
4. How did Mamaw feel about Vance's decision to join the Marine Corps? Why?
5. What two events does Vance describe as being significant to him during his last two years of service in the Marines?
6. What led to Mamaw's death? When did she die?
7. What are "adverse childhood experiences" and how does Vance define them in Chapter 14?
8. How was the Marine Corps beneficial to Vance's later success in life?
9. Why did Vance tell the woman at the gas station that his girlfriend attended Yale in Chapter 12?
10. Why did Vance initially not apply to the top law schools? What changed his mind?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)