|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What verse from the Bible did Vance read on Mamaw's death bed?
(a) James: 14: 1.
(b) Genesis, 3: 15.
(c) Genesis: 15: 7.
(d) Corinthians, 13: 12.
2. What nickname did Vance's group of friends in the constitutional law seminar at Yale call themselves?
(a) The moxy club.
(b) The Voltovs.
(c) The island of misfit toys.
(d) The Paris showhouse.
3. In Chapter 14, Vance makes the assertion that he knows that his mother is not what?
(a) A savior.
(b) A villain.
(c) A drug addict.
(d) An abuser.
4. Why did Mamaw encourage Vance to learn to play golf?
(a) Because golf helps the lower back muscles.
(b) Because that is where rich people do business.
(c) Because she wanted to play golf herself.
(d) Because she liked to watch golf on television.
5. What celebrity did Mamaw consider to be the embodiment of the American Dream, according to Vance in Chapter 10?
(a) Bill Clinton.
(b) Arnold Schwarzenegger.
(c) George W. Bush.
(d) Ronald Reagan.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Vance arrive for orientation at Ohio State?
2. Who is the Indiana Governor that Vance describes meeting briefly and as being the public figure he most admired in Chapter 13?
3. Where does Vance describe having a fight with Usha after having performed badly at an interview for a firm during their second year of law school?
4. Which of her siblings did Mamaw ask for old golf clubs for Vance when he was learning to play?
5. How does Vance describe his experience of going to a counselor when he was in law school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Vance tell the woman at the gas station that his girlfriend attended Yale in Chapter 12?
2. Who is Brian and why does Vance discuss him in the Conclusion?
3. What are the impacts of social perceptions of masculinity and femininity in poor societies, according to Vance in Chapter 15?
4. How does Vance describe the motel in Middletown in Chapter 15?
5. Why did Vance go to the motel in Middletown in Chapter 15?
6. What led to Vance's decision to join the Marine Corps?
7. Why was golf the sport that Vance's grandmother encouraged him to learn?
8. How does Vance describe the Christmas celebrations within Usha and Bonnie's families in childhood in the Conclusion?
9. What two events does Vance describe as being significant to him during his last two years of service in the Marines?
10. How does Vance describe Usha in Chapter 13?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)