|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Lindsay's first boyfriend at 13?
2. Where did Uncle Gary move to open a business?
3. Who among Vance's mother's love interests does he describe as an alcoholic police officer in Chapter 1?
4. What is the name of Vance's father's second wife?
5. How old was Vance when Papaw died?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Uncle Pet almost kill for insulting his mother?
2. What is the government program called that offers low-income residents a voucher to rent housing?
3. Where did Vance's mother go for drug addiction rehab after Papaw's death?
4. On what television show does Vance describe watching an episode about education in America in Chapter 8?
5. How old was Vance when Uncle Teaberry died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Vance describe his "home" as being in Chapter 1?
2. What factors led to the lack of ambition in the residents of Middletown, according to Vance in Chapter 4?
3. Why did Lindsay feel guilting for taking advantage of Papaw after his death?
4. How does Vance describe his experiences living with his biological father in Chapter 8?
5. How did Vance's mother's behavior change after Papaw's death?
6. How does Vance describe the setting of Middletown when he was born in Chapter 4?
7. What were the circumstances of Mamaw and Papaw's move to Ohio?
8. What are the primary reasons for the cultural decay in Appalachia that Vance describes in the Prologue?
9. How did Vance's mother respond when he refused to move in with her and Matt?
10. How does Vance describe his youth while living in Middletown with his mother, sister, and stepfather in Chapter 5?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)