|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the author's grandfather?
(a) James Ratcliff.
(b) William Jackson.
(c) Michael Vance.
(d) Jim Vance.
2. Who intervened when Mamaw almost shot a man for stealing one of the family's cows?
(a) Uncle David.
(b) Uncle Pet.
(c) Uncle John.
(d) Uncle Pete.
3. What profession does Vance describe Matt as having in Chapter 7?
(a) He was a banker.
(b) He was a doctor.
(c) He was a firefighter.
(d) He was a policeman.
4. In what year did ABC News run a report about Appalachian America, highlighting the problem with "Mountain Dew mouth"?
5. From what post-graduate institution did Vance graduate?
(a) Harvard Law School.
(b) Yale Law School.
(c) NYU School of Acting.
(d) Princeton Law School.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the names of Mamaw's younger sisters?
2. How old was Vance when he discovered Uncle David's marijuana plant in his backyard?
3. For how long had Vance's mother been sober by the time he finished eighth grade?
4. About how many people live in Jackson, Kentucky, according to Vance in Chapter 1?
5. What percentage of the public high school's entering freshmen will not make it to graduation in Middletown, according to Vance in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the primary reasons for the cultural decay in Appalachia that Vance describes in the Prologue?
2. What were the circumstances of Mamaw and Papaw's move to Ohio?
3. How does Vance describe the differences between Ohio and Kentucky that Mamaw and Papaw encountered after they moved?
4. What factors led to the lack of ambition in the residents of Middletown, according to Vance in Chapter 4?
5. How did Vance feel about participating with his mother in her rehabilitative activities after Papaw's death?
6. How does Vance describe his experiences living with his biological father in Chapter 8?
7. How does Vance describe his youth while living in Middletown with his mother, sister, and stepfather in Chapter 5?
8. How does Vance describe Mamaw and Papaw's children in Chapter 3?
9. How was Papaw's death discovered by the family?
10. Why did Lindsay feel guilting for taking advantage of Papaw after his death?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)