|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vance's mother earn an associate's degree in at the local community college?
2. How many bedrooms were in Mamaw Blanton's house, according to Vance in Chapter 1?
3. Who wrote the book The Truly Disadvantaged?
(a) Bob Hamel.
(b) Jennifer McGuffey.
(c) Ron Selby.
(d) William Julius Wilson.
4. When did Vance's grandparents (Mamaw and Papaw) marry?
5. How old was Vance when he discovered Uncle David's marijuana plant in his backyard?
Short Answer Questions
1. What relative was Vance smuggled into a hospital to visit on his death bed?
2. What is the name of Vance's father's second wife?
3. What was Mamaw's dream-career, according to Vance in Chapter 9?
4. What was the first chapter-book that Vance's mother bought him when he learned to read?
5. What television show does Vance describe as his Mamaw's favorite in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vance describe the setting of Middletown when he was born in Chapter 4?
2. What led to the economic decline of Middletown, Ohio?
3. How does Vance describe his experiences while living with his mother and Ken in Chapter 8?
4. What were the circumstances of Mamaw and Papaw's move to Ohio?
5. How does Vance describe the events around his mother's suicide attempt in Preble County?
6. How are the "Blanton men" described in the narrative?
7. How did Vance's life change once he moved in to live solely with Mamaw during his teenage years?
8. Why did Lindsay feel guilting for taking advantage of Papaw after his death?
9. Why was Lindsay devastated after meeting with the modeling scout in Chapter 6?
10. How did Vance's life change when his mother and stepfather moved the family to Preble County?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)