|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relative was Vance smuggled into a hospital to visit on his death bed?
(a) Uncle Jackson.
(b) Uncle Pet.
(c) Uncle Teaberry.
(d) Uncle Tom.
2. On what television show does Vance describe watching an episode about education in America in Chapter 8?
(a) The West Wing.
(b) Twin Peaks.
3. Where does Vance describe his Uncle Jimmy flying him and Lindsay to visit his home in Chapter 5?
(a) Las Vegas, Nevada.
(b) Houston, Texas.
(c) New York, New York.
(d) Napa, California.
4. What musician does Vance describe Papaw listening to continuously on repeat in Chapter 7?
(a) Johnny Cash.
(b) Dr. Dre.
(c) Hank Williams, Jr.
(d) Willie Nelson.
5. Who was Lindsay's first boyfriend at 13?
Short Answer Questions
1. Vance notes in his Introduction that William Julius Wilson, Charles Murray, and others have authored tracts demonstrating that upward mobility fell of in what decade in the U.S.?
2. What family operated a large paper mill in Middletown dating back to the nineteenth century?
3. To what region does Vance describe the Scots-Irish immigrants in America largely congregating?
4. What television show does Vance describe as his Mamaw's favorite in Chapter 9?
5. What is the name of Lindsay's firstborn son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vance's mother's behavior change after Papaw's death?
2. How did Vance's life change when his mother and stepfather moved the family to Preble County?
3. What are the primary reasons for the cultural decay in Appalachia that Vance describes in the Prologue?
4. How does Vance describe his youth while living in Middletown with his mother, sister, and stepfather in Chapter 5?
5. How are the "Blanton men" described in the narrative?
6. How does Vance describe his experiences living with his biological father in Chapter 8?
7. How does Vance describe the events around his mother's suicide attempt in Preble County?
8. How was Papaw's death discovered by the family?
9. What led to the economic decline of Middletown, Ohio?
10. How does Vance define the term "hillbilly" in his Prologue?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)